What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pushing Limits- #1 The medical SOG(ish) Room

killerweed31

Smile Vs Cry
Veteran
the garden look so healthy and green man ..promise good for sure, awesome new setup for new grow , grrrrr i need room like this also me ahhhh...only be happy with this grow!!
cheers for all your work!!

poofaloof

WRONG! lol Jk dude I like your perspective. Mad scientist approach should be awesome to watch its like i got a few seasons of a good tv show to tune into! And its always good to have an engineer hanging around haha, push the limits!

pushlimits

Killerweed- hang in there bro, you'll have enough room someday. then you just won't know what to do with yourself! lol

" Always look on the bright side of life....
life's a piece of shit
when you look at it
all you can do is give a whistle"
- Eric Idle, Monty Python

Thanks poof, always interesting comments you have, very thoughtful. I'll finish that tutorial for ya some day.

I get asked pretty often why I don't use organics anymore. That list is what I tell my friends. But, this was my first time sharing it on the IC. don't take it wrong I just jumped on the opportunity, and you happened to be the one who asked! ;)

poofaloof

Thanks poof, always interesting comments you have, very thoughtful. I'll finish that tutorial for ya some day.

Why thankyou sir :huggy: You know I think i got it down now actually, it all came together in my head a day or two ago.

Basically you run the wire from your main breaker box to your sub (i'll be using 6-3g) through a ~40-50 amp breaker. Red and black wires get attached to the lugs on the hot bus bar in the sub. White goes to neutral bus and bare copper goes to ground bus. From there you can wire in whatever gauge you need for your outlets through a breaker. Then you proceed to pour water in the sub and flip the switch.

Pretty close? I know I left out a lot of protocol stuff to keep it up to code, like using conduits/raceways, which you so graciously provided me answers to and also things like clamps and ... I know there's more :) But thats the jist of it.

pushlimits

First day of Second week.

First day of Second week.

First day, of the second week in flowering. Looking good. No problems to report. Very happy with the canopy so far. If everything continues running this smooth, it should be a good harvest. Enjoy the pictures!

Last picture; future mother plant for this strain. It grows under a 6-lamp T5 fixture, in a cabinet I made.

P.S. in case you don't already know; 5 gal buckets are a growers best friend, so versatile.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

pushlimits

Basically you run the wire from your main breaker box to your sub (i'll be using 6-3g) through a ~40-50 amp breaker. Red and black wires get attached to the lugs on the hot bus bar in the sub. White goes to neutral bus and bare copper goes to ground bus. From there you can wire in whatever gauge you need for your outlets through a breaker. Then you proceed to pour water in the sub and flip the switch.

Give or take- Sounds about right. You have the right idea. Just don't waste money on #3 wire, there's no way you'll need anything near that big! #-6 will cover well over 50 amps. As wire size goes up; the amperage it can hold gos up exponentially, not linearly. (remember Algebra class, lol)

But, You have a rough idea about what you need to do. Good luck, and be careful. Make sure that water you use doesn't have any dissolved solids and you'll be fine.

poofaloof

Looking good canopy is nice and even, and they are all happy little ladies. It's gonna get a lot more interesting soon here, yippy!

I think before I turn anything on I will post pictures so I know for sure. Gotta utilize my engineering buddy hehe :)

pushlimits

Second lower growth triming

Second lower growth triming

Around the 2nd to 3rd week of flowering, I trim all the lower growth sights and foliage for the second and final time. If I was using 1000 watt lights, I would trim slightly less. Because This garden has 600 watt lights, light doesn't penetrate that far down. Therefor, quite a bit is removed. Rule of thumb -Remove, 1/4 of lower growth for 1000w; 1/3 of lower growth for 600w

These pictures are for people who are not familiar with lower growth trimming. Leaves and growth sites that receive poor light and-or inhibit air flow, are trimmed off. This doesn't mean all branches are removed - sometimes the lowest branch on the plant could also be the closest to the canopy of all secondary growth.

After spending so much effort growing these plants, people often find it hard to remove anything prematurely. But I assure you- everything you remove, will either fall off anyway, or create un-smokable material.

As a result of this practice, the remaining upper growth will create denser, more uniform, product. Thanks to better airflow and increased energy devotion to the remaining tips.

A picture says 1000 words.-

picture.php

picture.php

poofaloof

Been away for a few days, wanted to check up, everything looks great.

All i think of when I look at that pic is airflow! I wanna just sit there with my face underneath all that lusciousness. Never heard the 1/4th removal for 1000 watts and 1/3rd for 600, sounds like a good rule of thumb.

Keep it green!

pushlimits

Week-3 Day-3 of flowering

Week-3 Day-3 of flowering

Week-3 Day-3 everything looks healthy, lush and growing very well.

I'm Feeding with a E.C. of 0.8-1.2, and a PH of 5.8-6.2 with Botainicare's CNS-17 line. So far the formula works fantastic, and with the price being so low, you can't beat it! If the end product comes out good- I'm sold!

One problem I've had, is the Humidity rose up to the lower 70%'s. The plants haven't responded negatively yet- By why risk it! So I went out and bought a Dehumidifier, and a EVC-2 environmental controller made by Sentinel. (I planned on using Co2 in the next run anyway)

Anybody out there run a dehumidifier, environmental controller, Or any electronic device for that matter, in their room? If so, how do you deal with the indicator lights during the dark period? The bastards should have put something in their design. I bought it assuming they did, but it stays as bright as the Joe Louis Arena when the lights are off.

I have a few ideas, but I would like to see how other people do it.- Not my style to cover stuff with cardboard! ya know?- I Would just put it on a timer, but it controls temp and humidity at night too (which is programmable, and a really cool feature)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

brightskies

In a bubble
Veteran
Hello! Just stumbled in here to see what was going on. Wow- nice show! Hope you don't mind if I stick around.

pushlimits

1st day of week 4

1st day of week 4

First day of week four. Would you look at that, I'm on time for once.

Everything's growing well. Feeding with an E.C. of 1.0-1.4, PH of about 5.8-6.3.

Around the end of week 3 to the beginning of week 4, I flush the soil to wash out accumulated salts. I started flushing a few days ago, and did the final one just a second ago.

I noticed 1 or 2 little things flying around the soil today: my guess is fungus gnats. - F^%$. I imagine the constantly wet soil from flushing the past few days is the cause. Oh well, if I had to choose one pest to have in my garden: Fungus gnats would be it.

Either way here's pics:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

S

Silky Johnson

Yo Push looking good. I agree on the Gnats but what can you do. I think you can run your Dehumid with no controller. Just mess with the controls until its in the range you want it. I think that Sentinal was pretty $$$ and I think it would just complicate things, but give it a shot. Your plants look great keep it up bro.

pushlimits

What's up Silky, You ain't shit'in, that environmental controller was pretty expensive. Right now the dehumidifier is running on it's own without the controller: it works great, and your right it would complicate things. My philosophy is the simpler the better.

The only reason I shelled out for it is because I plan on giving Co2 a try. I've never tried it before, I'm pretty excited to be honest. After I cut down this harvest, the tanks go in!

Work2much

Fantastic stuff Push. I'm impressed by you're clean setup and thorough thought process.

Please take the coco plunge, even if on just a small scale I know you would make a good example of someone running coco for the first time. I know you weighed it out and did you're research but maybe you missed some of the side by sides people do between coco/soil that almost always show superior growth in coco. Many soil growers make the switch and never look back, hence the slow-but-steady growth of the coco sub forum. You mentioned you like having complete control over the variables and few mediums give you more control then coco.

So yes, I demand that Pushing limits#3 is coco :wave:

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just read the whole thread, love how detailed you are. keep up the good work.

What was the reason you use 600s instead of 1000s? i don't think i saw that mentioned

S

Silky Johnson

Yeah if you're going co2 I would go with Coolflame Generator. Id see if you could exchange that first Sentinal and see if they will give you the Sentinal co2 controller. The Coolflame is water cooled and runs off of propane. Real easy to use and setup.