What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Kush x Pre 98 Bubba (reversed)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no worries BT

you've been a bit unlucky with your PK x bubba seedlings in that you got two slower ones out of your three. Eastcoast at least got 5 out of 5 'regular' seedlings - no runts but that said they will probably be a bit slower than your average hybrid due to lack of hybrid vigor (the more genetically disctinct the hybrid, the more vigor you will get... so an afghan x haze for example should show a lot of vigor).

VG

Johnnyseed

See, this what I like to see from breeders.
up to date responses, honesty and good help.

Never experienced a forum quite like this.

Again, VG
your work tends to speak for itself.

GREAT work by the way, and good attention to detail BT

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for the kind words Johnny. I quite like having this little forum at IC and im really enjoying seeing people grow out my crosses etc.

in a few weeks i'll be starting work on a few new projects that should be quite exciting if i can get them started ok. more about that later :)

VG

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Little update Day 27 from seed, getting a bit further along. Have defoliated the main fan leaves pretty heavily to get some light to the lower branching sites. I also took a cut off each one a couple days ago, hoping they root or I will take another cut if necessary.

PBs on right
picture.php

PB4, Shes quite a beast compared to the rest, much more vigorous and a little stretchier between nodes, drinking double or better the water of the others. I got my eye on her.

picture.php

PB3

picture.php

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
coming along nicely still. when are you going to flip 'em ?

They are filling the footprint pretty quick and stacking nodes at the growth tips, should probably flip to 12/12 soon. A few more days or a week max I think. The two larger on the right are the feminized Purple Kush x Pre 98 Bubbas and the two in the front are female clones, the 4 in the middle/upper left are the OXs, regular m/f seeds so depending on how many males if any I could be cramped for space or not.

picture.php

picture.php

How much do you think they will stretch for me? 2x stretch or more or less?

I usually would have flipped by a few days ago with a typical hybrid and they would stretch to become bushes a good 18" tall or so from the soil level, more or less. These are a bit bigger/further along in veg but worried about stretch a little on them with all the Bubba in em. Looking through a bunch of Bubba Kush grow journals, some people say Bubba only stretches literally a few inches once flipped and some people say it will get a good 1.5-2x stretch, not sure what to believe on that end. Now I know these should be a little more vigorous than pure Bubba though I do see they have a bit less vigor than a typical hybrid and seem to want to stay short, compact, and bushy but they are still coming along pretty well. Id like to flip to 12/12 real soon though. No more than another week.

What do you think VG?

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Flipped them to 12/12 today, Day 29 from seed, Day 1 12/12. Hopefully I get a halfway decent little stretch on them.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The Mutant Runt still not wanting to grow properly, not sure how much longer I am going to nurse this one. It will start to look like its going to grow normal and then the growth tips will do some weird mutation again, just doesnt want to snap out of it. Its in the corner of the tent for now.

picture.php

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey there BT i think on balance it was the right time to flip, you should get a bit of stretch, the PK is more stretchy than the bubba so that should help. you have the other plants to think of too.

the runt, i dont know. might be worth trying to get a cutting off it and then chuck the plant. depends really if its going to take up space that would be better occupied. competing against the rest of a full cab wont do it any favors...

VG

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hell ya now the show starts.. looking good.... are u going to flip the runt also?

Ya for now anyway. I dont expect it to really do anything.

hey there BT i think on balance it was the right time to flip, you should get a bit of stretch, the PK is more stretchy than the bubba so that should help. you have the other plants to think of too.

the runt, i dont know. might be worth trying to get a cutting off it and then chuck the plant. depends really if its going to take up space that would be better occupied. competing against the rest of a full cab wont do it any favors...

VG

Nice, I was going to veg another week but I have a trip coming up Oct 17th that I will be gone for a few days so I flipped now so I can give them a good 10 weeks +/- a few days if needed and harvest/dry for about a week and into jars before I leave. Also have a spot as a tester for a pack of a new Connoisseur Genetics strain, so partly for those reasons I am moving the grow along.

The runt I dont plan to leave in the flowering tent, I have no space for it in my tiny veg cab right now with the clones in humidity domes though. There are a couple of the lowest branches on the runt that look to have normal growth tips I might take a cut or two off it if there are any good normal tips on them in a few days or a week or whatever. Im in a way hoping 12/12 will give it a little growth spurt to help it start to grow some normal branching and stop the weird/mutated growth.

Ill figure something out for the mutant if I can get some healthy normal shoots to take a cut or two off I will do that, otherwise once I get the clones out of the domes there will be enough space to put it in the veg cab for a little bit. Depending on those factors she may stay around or get the chop but I dont plan to keep it in the flowering tent it is just taking up floor space in there and getting shaded out now that its just stuck in the corner.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update from day 4 12/12, coming along pretty good and filling out a bit.

They are the two plants in the right rear corner and right center. The runt is in front left still waiting on room in the veg cab to pull her out of the flowering tent and back to veg cycle to take clones of the normal looking branches, there are 3 that appear to be growing normally with normal growth tips the other 5 or so branches and tips are mutated and extremely slow growing. The lowest 3 branches on the plant are the normal growing ones that I plan to take off as clones.

picture.php

picture.php

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Took the cuts out of humidity domes and they havent wilted in 12 hours so should be good to go without the dome. Since I had enough room now I pulled the runt out and into the veg cab again. Going to try to clone the 3 good branches soon.

Taking the runt out made more room for the ladies so now the two PBs have the whole right 1/3 of the tent now (2sq ft), the other two rows are three plants deep for now.

I was watering plants tonight so I took a look at them I believe OX1 OX2 OX3 are female and OX4 is male. I really wanted a male OX so as I was going through them I got the 3 females first and I was honestly a little sad at that point and got to the last one and it was a male so I am happy about that. Should be doing some selective pollination if all goes well.

Keeping the male in the flowering tent until he matures a few weeks into flower and pull him out shortly after he develops starts developing decent clusters.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was looking at the plants tonight and I noticed the PB4 is a male I believe not a hermie since there are only male preflowers on the nodes and no female preflowers on that one and on the other PB3 has only female preflowers. Odd since they are supposed to be feminized and I remember seeing one other person found a male in their LVPK x Pre 98 Bubba pack.

Keeping it around for now still, see how it matures in flower here over the next couple weeks, if its a straight male and not hermie then I will use some PKBubs pollen too this round along with the shorty male OX4. If its a herm obviously will be culled but as of now looks like a male to me but its only day 7 of 12/12.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
He has beautiful stature! Might have a gym right there

PB4 is definitely a full blown male, hes got lots of flower pods growing all over the place and terminal buds forming with lots of balls and not a single pistil so far.

Ya, he does have great structure, nice thick sturdy woody stems, pretty tight nodes with just a little stretch on the side branching, displayed good vigor in veg, is staying short and not stretching much so far in flowering.

Good dude to use some pollen from for sure. If all goes well I am going to make some Purple Kush x Pre 98 Bubba male and female seeds, in addition to the OX F2s I had planned to make this flowering run. Maybe do a cross of the two as well. :woohoo:

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I took 3 small cuttings off the PB1 mutant/runt and culled it. Taking up too much room in my tiny veg cab and I have a lot of projects to work on so no space to waste. Been almost 6 weeks from seed and it was still growing at an extremely slow rate and displaying mutated growths. If the cuts dont root, or if any do and dont start growing normally then they will get the ax too.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The cut I took off PB3 rooted (the lone female). PB4 cut (the male) still going looks like it may root just hasnt shown roots yet on the sides of the cup.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day 13 12/12 Update

The cut I took off the PB3 and PB4 both have rooted now. I took a couple cuts off the runt and tossed it out a few days ago, no rooting on those yet but only been a few days.

I took out PB4 (male) and put outside to continue flowering until I can collect some pollen. He is the taller of the two males in the picture, didnt have the tops in the frame when I took the pic.

picture.php

The PB3 is in back center.

picture.php