What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Kush, crazy monkey style

Status
Not open for further replies.

krahnic

also r u doing indoor dirt or hydro? im tryin to get a room together n i need some pointers to get great yeild like that purp man.

U4EA

Thanks all.

i thought those things weren't suppose to yield well.
It still might not; depends on your personal definition of yielding well. But I'm not concerned about it, I'm satisfied with the output on this run.

The goal going into the grow was 1.5# per 1000w with this strain, based on my 1st/previous run with it (~1.25# per 1000w). Expecting to hit or slightly exceed that goal, with an anticipated/expected zero loss to bud rot. Last round lost 5%, maybe 10%, to budrot. It had a higher plant count (~36 per 1000w, now ~16 per 1000w), less veg time, and single-top.

Still more room for improvement; more lessons learned & noted to implement what is to be known as the domesticated salamander style. Round 3 on this strain should be spectacular.

U4EA

also r u doing indoor dirt or hydro?
Coco. Technically hydro but I like to separate it.

i need some pointers to get great yeild like that purp man.
Key is effectively utilizing the crazy monkey style.

I will try the domesticated salamander style in the future and let y'all know how it goes.

Monkey vs. salamander... which will win?!

hey man ive been noticing the cross grid with pvc and string/rope. is that just a way to help those nice tops stay towering or wats up with that?
Yes, it serves a similar purpose as a stake, plus more. And, it's automatic. No stake or trellis, and branches or entire plants will lean/fall over from weight. This is an integral part of the crazy monkey style, which is a subset of the domesticated salamander style.

I use the one distributed by Hydrofarm, the 5" or 6" nylon rope mesh. I've tried the "plastic wire" mesh before, hated it.

barth

I think if found the definition of coolness and excitement in this thread. Guess i got to talk more gibberish about Monkeys and Salamanders.
:laughing:

Nice grow man. Looks like you got it dialed in.

U4EA

Thanks. Not quite dialed in yet but getting there. All about the salamanders. (Domesticated, of course.)

Day 56.

Top nugs.

Bottom nugs.

Oh yeah.

U4EA

Well I got curious, so I (intentionally, this time) decided to cut down a couple of popcorn branches that kept falling to the ground and were pissing me off. Weren't making it to the screen, light blocked out by the thick layer of buds above. Seems I can never trim enough downstairs. Fuggit, guinea pigs.

This is from the J1, not Purple Kush.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wtf kinda shears/trimmers are those?
motorized for sure

U4EA

They are the cheaper cousin of the "Bonsai Hero", called "Testarossa".

http://www.bonsaihero.com/

I got 2 pairs for a little more than $350.

It is almost as accurate as using a Fiskars microtip, just no repetitive motion on your part.

As far as speed, I'd say roughly 2x faster on most strains for a tight cut, 3-4x for a hippy cut (I'd get a TrimPro knockoff for a hippy cut though), but a consistent 2x throughout with minimal fatigue, I'm expecting. We'll see in a bit.

After using these for a few minutes, I can see why 12 cuts a second can be kind of a big deal over 9 cuts a second, and worth the money if you have it to blow. Unfortunately I don't, but if this harvest goes down well I will definitely buy a Bonsai Hero for the future to try out.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats what i thought

they're pretty accurate huh? damn...
probably way quiter than my trimbox haha

curious to hear your thoughts after taking the room down.

U4EA

I'll definitely report back with a review.

If one doesn't die on me after this run, you're welcome to try it out if you'd like.

U4EA

I tried that. The key is to get a large amount of your finger stuck in there. If you get only about a 1/8" or so into the blades, it will cut through your skin... I am proof of it!

Notice in the video how quickly he thrusts his thumb into the blades, like 3/4" - 1" in. Maybe with the higher RPM, the Bonsai Hero has a lower torque than the Testarossa? Possible.

Regardless, it is surprisingly safe to use, I don't find myself ever coming close to cutting myself.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ouch

better than getting a finger tip thru the grate of a trimpro though (didnt happen to me just speculating... OUCH)

U4EA

I use the one distributed by Hydrofarm, the 5" or 6" nylon rope mesh. I've tried the "plastic wire" mesh before, hated it.
My bad, correction. The one I use and like is braided polyester string/rope, not nylon. It's the semi-rigid nylon-plastic mesh that I hated, maybe NGW-branded? I forgot, I'm sure several distributors/brands carry them.

U4EA

So far I haven't been able to find a single pair of Fiskars microtips at any of the non-grow store outlets. Not at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Target, OSH. Every time I head to the scissors aisle, I already know where the microtips are stocked -- where the empty hook is, among all the other fully in-stock scissors.

I hope the grow stores (who charge about 100% markup over Home Depot prices) don't have anything to do with this. :thinking:

[ The Fiskars are more useful for removing larger fan leaf petioles @ the base of the stem, etc. ]

Wow, that looks really good!

I hope to dial my GDP in to produce bigger nugs like yours.

Very Nice!

just crusing by thought id comment on this really quick. Ive been growing diff indoor purp varities for years and the grandaddys just doesnt form up like the purle kush does. they are a beautiful beautiful resin producer but now matter how u train them they never seem to yield what the pk does. just my opinion. and somebody said something about yield on the pks- with a decent veg, some coco, floranova, an airpots U can pull 3-4 of each.

AWESOME GROW

U4EA

Thanks all.

just crusing by thought id comment on this really quick. Ive been growing diff indoor purp varities for years and the grandaddys just doesnt form up like the purle kush does. they are a beautiful beautiful resin producer but now matter how u train them they never seem to yield what the pk does. just my opinion. and somebody said something about yield on the pks- with a decent veg, some coco, floranova, an airpots U can pull 3-4 of each.
I didn't see you post here but I'll re-post my response to a similar one you made:

No offense and not to clutter up someone else's thread but I hate hearing yield numbers based on a single (?) plant under unknown wattage and conditions. I mean, getting 100gms+ per plant on a 1-plant grow under a 1000w is a little different than for 16 plants. Shading, crowding, light intensity, air flow, and so much more play a role and you should know this.

Please be more specific.

U4EA

Here's another test drive I'm doing on some lower popcorn larf branches off the J-1 that are starting to droop and hitting the ground. Not making it to the trellis and don't feel like tying them up this late in the game (they should have been trimmed off long ago).

Wanna play with the Testarossa a bit more, and low on smoke anyways.

Let's go, starting pile.

Tried a quick "hippy trim". Holy shit, MUCH faster (like 5x), at least on larfy popcorn like this.

Forgot the "before" pic on this one.

All done.

U4EA

Some ballast dried J-1 popcorn (about 36-48 hours on this piece of cardboard, on a Quantum 1000w), or ballastcorn.

Not terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts