What's new

Purple Afghan x Cheese F1

G

Hiya folks

Maybe you might have seen my purple Afghan grow recently, turned out really nice, lucky find of really nice genes, origins shrouded in mystery, claimed to be unhybridised Afghani brought back by a soldier in the last couple of years and I believe my source, he's one of the good guys about.

Purple Afghan:

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

At the same time I was flowering a Cheese cut alongside her. I really like Cheese, very strong flavour and nice high.

I was surprised that as well as being very purple and really big yielding, the Purple Afghan also had a lovely mellow cerebral high and a strong sweet hashy taste, the best pheno actually matching the Cheese in the taste and high departments in the opinion of me and a couple of testers, not only good looking, but a lovely smoke too.

So I decided to pollinate my Cheese cut (an my OG Kush, but that's another story) with my best Afghan male, a really stocky, heavily branched purple one.

I only made about 60 beans and gave most of them to friends keen to try them out, but I have about 20 left. I tried germing 5 in paper towels soon after placing the buds in jars, they were a bit fresh methinks as only 2 popped.

I placed them both in cups of coco, one I put directly into 12/12 from sprouting as an experiment and the other into my seedling box under 160w of coolwhite fluoro tubes on 24/0. They both showed really good hybrid vigour, particularly the one in veg which I topped a couple of times to keep height down. Here it is at 14 days from seed:

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

For comparison's sake, here is a Purple Afghan (green/pink pheno) at 14 days:

P1010048.jpg

P1010050.jpg

I decided to repot into a 1.5 litre pot of coco as it was growing roots into the runoff tray:

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

This plant looks to be the Purple Afghan pheno as it has intense purpling on it's petioles and subtle purpling on the stems and leaf veins, looks very much like Purple Afghan to me. Fingers crossed it's female and purple!

Last edited:

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
pullin up a chair

pullin up a chair

that purple afghan looks almost like this type of purple flower iver seen before, ever heard of a luepine(sp)? cant wait to see the out come of this cross.

G

The second seed was planted directly into a 0.7 litre pot of coco and placed directly into 12/12. This one also grew vigourosly but was quite different, thinner, more pointed leaflefts, thinner stems, longer nodes and less side branching. Some of the structural difference such as longer nodes and less branching could be partly due to no veg period to mature before flowering, but I'm thinking it is showinf more Skunk/Cheese influence. Whatever the case, she showed sex today after 18 days and it's a female.

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

Although she wasn't rootbound, I repotted her into a 1.5 litre pot, roots looked nicely white and healthy.

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

She has slight glossiness and clawing on the leaves so a tad of overfert, but nice and healthy. The purple petioles but lack of other purpling makes me think this might be a 50/50 pheno, excited to find out, reckon about another 60 days before I know.

Last edited:

Dr.NO

Awesome cross Hempire, that Purple Afghan is beautiful! Soldiers bringing back landrace strains is great for the genepool and just a really cool thing.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
ehehehe sounds like you have fun at home! :smile:

Best wishes for project, i'm sure is going to be a lovely smoke! :rasta:

G

Thanks for the kind words guys, always nice to have some support alogn the way.

Only one thing better (and more fun) than growing your own cannabis - growing cannabis that you also bred yourself, i really love what I do.

shotgun420

like to know more

like to know more

ooo oooo my God do that have a high tolerance is it easy to grow please tell me more like how an what u feed her. how long did it take to finish

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've got high hopes for this cross, great choice of male....the Cheese is in need of something to strengthen her, she has a real tendency to fall over at around the 4 week mark...... if you can fix that trait as well as add a little colour and extra stoneyness your gonna have a real winner on your hands, i love the Purple Afghan girls of yours.
Peace

G

Cheers True. One of the desirable traits of the Purple Afghan is it's string stems, they are very thick and when you cut them to look at the cross section, they are of the closed type with a large amount of white fibre inside the stem and only a vry small hollow part in the centre. I have read all about how the closed stem types like this are much more desirable when breeding a drug cultivar than the open-stemed, hollow types.

The male I chose had much shorter stature and tighter nodes than the other 2 males and had far mre beveloped branching, I thought he was a female for a long time and was surprised when he turned out male as he had the structure and branching of a female.

As it was my first grow in coco, I made some mistakes which caused the plants to stretch, so bear that in mind, the Purple Afghan isn't this lanky, it's just like that cos of my errors growing it.

This was one of the two discarded males, they were both tall and lanky with minimal branching, both had green stems and petioles too, so probably not one of the purple phenos:

P1010012.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010017.jpg

G

And here is the second male I discarded, this plant was a runt that was always smaller and less developed than the others, it stretched a lot to catch upto the others as it was being overshadowed in a crowded space, not hard to chose to cull this one:

P1010016.jpg

P1010017.jpg

The third male, the one I chose as my father had far better structure and many times more branching, I based my selection on the fact it just looked a lot better. I realise there are many other criteria to use when selecting a male, but when you have one male that clearly outshies the other and is also probably the purple pheno, being the only one of the 3 with purple petioles and leaf veins, then the selection is not difficult. I would have preferred more males to select between, but I am working small scale and you have to make some compromises.

P1010008.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010012.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts