What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pure Thai Sativas

Thighland

Nakhon Phanom and surrounding areas appear to have been a major growing region. The old guy may say it was the epicenter, but there's probably some old ladies who say it was Sakhon Nakhon, then others who say Kalasin and so on.

Thailand's history is not well recorded, it's not taught in schools. Most of isaan is a plateau, there's some mountains around Sakhon Nakhon, which is known for growing. There was a lot of communist insurgency through out the area in the 70s and 80s, which have affected things.

A few years ago I crossed the border and went looking for plants in Laos. Besides being tricked into eating dog, it was uneventful. Then upon returning a friend said tobacconists usual sell seeds, if only I'd known.

With Thai legalization now would be a good time to go looking in Laos. The region has a large dispora, who regularly send things over, most likely this has included hybrid seeds over the years.

funkyhorse

I am really curious about this hollow stem thing and I am looking at this since MadMac commented about it, most psychoactive plants seem to have hollow stems, I dont make fiber so I have no clue
All pure hazes I grew have hollow stems including hybrids I tested so far
I chopped today 3 plants to see and check

Seedsman Haze x Ohz90 from MadMac x Northern Thailand 2008 intersex girl winter grow
All girls firm sexually and 3 out of 4 boys firm too
Girl 1 has the loudest smells, an amazing combination of floral and pepper spice. Crazy sticky, the most sticky of all girls
Seedsman hz mm fem 1 x n Thai hermie girl 3 girl 1 (2).jpeg
Seedsman hz mm fem 1 x n Thai hermie girl 3 hollow stem (1).jpeg

Girl 2 very little smells, not sticky and is the latest of the girls. Little hollow stem
Seedsman hz mm fem 1 x n Thai hermie girl 3 2 little hollow (1).jpeg
Seedsman hz mm fem 1 x n Thai hermie girl 3 2 little hollow (2).jpeg

Girl 3 is an intermediate of the upper 2 on smells and stickiness
Seedsman hz mm fem 1 x n Thai hermie girl 3 3  (1).jpeg
Seedsman hz mm fem 1 x n Thai hermie girl 3 3 hollow stem (2).jpeg
Seedsman hz mm fem 1 x n Thai hermie girl 3 3 hollow stem (1).jpeg

Smoke test will tell if hollow stems and stickiness have something to do with high or not related
Have a nice sunday everybody

Stocktont

Veteran
Nakhon Phanom and surrounding areas appear to have been a major growing region. The old guy may say it was the epicenter, but there's probably some old ladies who say it was Sakhon Nakhon, then others who say Kalasin and so on.

Thailand's history is not well recorded, it's not taught in schools. Most of isaan is a plateau, there's some mountains around Sakhon Nakhon, which is known for growing. There was a lot of communist insurgency through out the area in the 70s and 80s, which have affected things.

A few years ago I crossed the border and went looking for plants in Laos. Besides being tricked into eating dog, it was uneventful. Then upon returning a friend said tobacconists usual sell seeds, if only I'd known.

With Thai legalization now would be a good time to go looking in Laos. The region has a large dispora, who regularly send things over, most likely this has included hybrid seeds over the years.

Yes it’s much better to get around and have a look with your own eyes and get your own idea about a region than to watch a documentary or try to read one book and think you have a grip. Like you say they don’t teach most of the history in schools so most of the people have no clue about the history.

hahaha tricked into eating dog. I feel for you.

Stocktont

Veteran
I am a little confused with the flowering of the Thai sativas. They seem to flower at irregular times. Once flowering has started roughly how long is it until they finish?

Traditionally thai ganja is planted in June to August and they take roughly 5-6 months from planting. This is outdoors in the tropics and it may vary in different places as you need to mind the monsoon. The thais I have growing were planted in late July and the males were starting to be pulled about this week (as I planted all of the seedlings into the ground). If you plant in June you’d have a christmas harvest or there about and if you plant in August you’ll have a late Jan early Feb harvest. That is for southeast asian types grown outdoors in southeast Asia. Indoors the flowering times can be very different and may not correlate with outdoor flowering times.

If you are about to plant hybrid plants (indoor types) I would recommend doing so in the dry/high season and grow those that won’t start to re-veg when the light hours go from 13 to 12 per day.

Flowering times.png

ngakpa is an excellent reference when talking about cannabis and this region.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
137 000 weeks , hahahaha ,
the same pressure on plants growing outdoors in the tropics , dont exist indoors with unnatural lighting,
its a whole different ball game and hardly compareable ,
5-6 months is the standard .start to finish, for most tropical sativas grown in their natural setting..

Thighland

Thanks for all the info, I've still got a lot to learn.

I bought two seedlings, the seller offered a smaller one free and I chose one that was starting to flower. So now I have a small plant that's almost ready, another about 2 weeks into flower and one that is just starting to flower.

The sativas seem to have an 'up to you' attitude to flowering, which makes sense considering their Thai lol.

Now I have two Thai sativas that were under lights for 3 weeks. They've been moved outside for two days now. What can I expect to happen re: flowering

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
5-6 months is the standard .start to finish, for most tropical sativas grown in their natural setting..

and that my friends is why when u shop at a dispensary n the jar says 'sativa' i call it BULLSHIT... no grower with 2 harvests a year can afford to sell his eighth's at the same price as an indica or a hybrid ... n imo once an indica is in the mix, the weed is not the same... something is lost...

romanoweed

Thai Sativas are native to Thailand, and will have close to zero Mold, Sun is for free, it wouldnt be exactly a bad idea to make profit from it. Why grow molding Hybrids that arent adapted to the specific Soil.

Im also astonished how often people mention they tried to grow Weed, and the plants died. haha
All you need is good Compost i guess, and nice Thai-seed, i imagine that must be dooable, no Humidity control, no Temperature Control no Heightmanagement needed.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Probably he wasn't being literal and meant environment in general. But yes, also the soil. It can be too wet or too rich or have some other issue that increases the risk of mold.
yep... u are rite... i wish i can import the soil+ weather of maui... and thailand... n colombia ... panama...etc etc ... then i would be able to grow some of yesteryear's weed...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Thai Sativas are native to Thailand, and will have close to zero Mold, Sun is for free, it wouldnt be exactly a bad idea to make profit from it. Why grow molding Hybrids that arent adapted to the specific Soil.

Im also astonished how often people mention they tried to grow Weed, and the plants died. haha
All you need is good Compost i guess, and nice Thai-seed, i imagine that must be dooable, no Humidity control, no Temperature Control no Heightmanagement needed.
Its definitely doable and im sure in time it will be done ,
as far as hybrids are concerned , thats very doable too ,
just doesnt pay to have them flowering during the monsoon season ,
which is only a few months of the year btw ,
there is probably close to 9 months of the year one could have flowering plants ,
in the monsoon times , even those thai plants will get mold,
they are no way indestructible or impervious to mold,
they just resist it better than some plants from more desert-type conditions will ..

in my opinion , thailand has the potential to be one of the biggest cannabis exporters once again ,
they have an excellent climate for growing cannabis ,
if done outdoors , the overheads are much lower than anywhere else ,
their labor costs are very low ,
the overall cost of producing a pound of cannabis would have to be the cheapest in the world where legal cannabis is concerned ,
and the climate gives them the potential to have some of the best too ...

Thighland

One of my plants flowered through days of torrential rain, it endured about six weeks of the worst storms for years. Some mold developed, but didn't take over. If the plant was at an earlier stage or in a GH it would be fine, but low light levels are a real issue.

The first few plants I put in died or didn't do well, but this was a time of year when nobody was planting anything due to poor weather. Now I've figured it out, it seems the rains are done, it's bright and sunny around 30 everyday, humidity around 60.

Plants are thriving, loving being in the ground, dark green and shiny. People with no knowledge of gardening go straight to indoor where they have to control the environment themselves. Then they plant sensitive hybrids and wonder why it's so difficult.

Gardening has huge mental health benefits, but many of these are lost when we move indoors. No Vit D from the sun, no wind, no birds. Nonetheless indoors can still be enjoyable and I think in this climate a small light for clones and seedlings is useful. I've also seen them used for young lettuce.

Thighland

in my opinion , thailand has the potential to be one of the biggest cannabis exporters once again ,
they have an excellent climate for growing cannabis ,
if done outdoors , the overheads are much lower than anywhere else ,
their labor costs are very low ,
the overall cost of producing a pound of cannabis would have to be the cheapest in the world where legal cannabis is concerned ,
and the climate gives them the potential to have some of the best too ...
I agree, in fact it seems quite obvious. Done indoors Thailand has the disadvantage of heat and humidity. In the coming months I think we'll see a change, the fashion seems to be moving towards sativas, which as I've learnt here, don't do well under lights. Why bother anyway, when the perfect conditions are at your doorstep.

Thailand is one of the world's leading agricultural exporters, with some of the world's best fruit. With it's tradition of good cannabis everything is in place. But what will become of all those expensive grow ops? Not just in Thailand, but everywhere. It's unsustainable and makes little economic sense.

Wall

Energy is becoming a real problem in the world (we in Europe it is becoming dramatic because of that son of a bitch Poutine!) but I think that like many growers some can plant outdoors and others not at all. In addition, indoors you can save a little time by reducing the cycles... After I lived 1.5 years in Laos and I saw that the blooms are very long outside :( Especially with certain varieties and often there are has damage... between time or pests, alas. I also especially saw that I didn't have to plant myself because the price of weed was ridiculously low, lol! But good Thai landraces take always a lot of time and don't always respond well under a lamp indoors.In any case, I would rather be in Thailand now than here in the North of Europe!!!! GREAT PLANTS MY FRIEND!!!!
ดูแลตัวเองด้วยนะ

Hmong

Veteran
we in Europe it is becoming dramatic because of that son of a bitch Poutine!

don't say "we" with this bitchtalk, when everything is actually fine

Mostly fake news and this constant Putler talk is weak as fuck.
According to media, I'd had freezed and starved to death multiple times now, black outs etc.
everyone with a brain knows, it's European policies and marked speculation creating the situation, not the crazy man on the gas tab.
(which is open to this day, despite all kindergarten going on)

anyway, you don't win a war by complaining, you show at least strength until the end.

make a statement and hang additional lamps!
mg400_3-jpg.18770067

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts