What's new

Pure Thai Sativas

...let me know if you wanna run some actual chocolate Thai or pure highland Thai from the hill tribe ..

I really would
biggrin.gif

p.s. why the link posted below by this guy some pages agò take straigth to my album ?
thinking.gif

..Hi. This is the final pic of an interesting looking plant I got from growing a seed from a brick in Thailand....... Shortly after the first pic was taken.

However it had a branching structure that looked unusual. You might find it interesting...

View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/photo_popu...lbums&cp=albums&e=vB_Editor_001&code=&page=3#View Image

..anyway just for chronichle .. on the left a Malawi x Cinderella 99 by Afropips..and on the right a Duoble Jam by Underground Collective

Buon Cultivar a todos :pirate:

corky1968

Veteran
There is a local guy that hangs his harvest in the corn fields. He says the corn slows the drying down a bit compared to full sun. After a month of curing he has some of the smoothest and most dreamy bud around. Its almost always light amber or gold in color and burns really nice.

Slow drying is the best way to do it if you can avoid mold.
The corn being being alive is probably giving the buds a little
humidity and is slowing down the drying process.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
I hope they've been jarred by now. ;)

I guess we can all agree this is what a real Thai looks like, anything like this still in existence? Pics? :tiphat:

G`day TB

I got a shock looking at that farm .
Some of the colas look like hybrids ?? The 1st pic is classic SE Asian Sat stylee . The ones near the drying racks look to be a different genotype ?

I read about in later production , the Thai stick crew bringing in seeds from Afghanistan to facilitate more crops per year .
Also read the Thai stick crew contracted villages to produce their crops . So the boss says grow this . What do you grow ?

Lovely pics though .

I read Sam Saying he had a professor of language travel with him in Thailand . That would help open a lot of doors . A white guy on his own would have way less chance of seeing behind the scenes .
Thai`s have high respect for elders and teachers / professors .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I read about in later production , the Thai stick crew bringing in seeds from Afghanistan to facilitate more crops per year .
Also read the Thai stick crew contracted villages to produce their crops . So the boss says grow this . What do you grow ?

Hybrids in 77' already? Wasn't that like the heyday of Thaistick?

I thought it was from Pakistan and starting in the 80's. I always assumed Thai was a chunkier sativa to begin with because of the partly Chinese origin. Burmese strains to my knowledge have always been "indica-like" and they share border with Chiang Mai in Thailand, which previously belonged to Burma. So maybe they're still pure Thai, maybe a cross of different local genetics? (cause if the genetics were already polluted in 77 I'm giving up lol)

Was there any mention previously where these pictures were taken?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
G`day TB

I got a shock looking at that farm .
Some of the colas look like hybrids ?? The 1st pic is classic SE Asian Sat stylee . The ones near the drying racks look to be a different genotype ?

Lovely pics though .

I read Sam Saying he had a professor of language travel with him in Thailand . That would help open a lot of doors . A white guy on his own would have way less chance of seeing behind the scenes .
Thai`s have high respect for elders and teachers / professors .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

I think the first is just in earlier flowering ,
also seems to be in red soil vs the other farms browner ..

Im thinking that while those buds may look a little chunky , they dont have a huge amount of weight to them ,, the zamal i grew recently was similar and ive seen thai the same ..

id also be inclined to think they are planted late to avoid having massive trees ,, cause they are not so practical ,, all speculation of course ...

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran

Answering myself here, but on page 24 Bushy posted the first set of vintage pictures, from Chiang Mai. Are they from the same article?

I once grew a bunch of massive seeds brought from Chiang Mai, tripped balls on the little scraps that came with it. They grew like a bamboo with fat indica leaves. I wasn't even able to bring them to flower at the time, I just remember that the leaves were way more indica looking than most indicas :biggrin: And the first pair of true leaves was already there from the first moment.

Elmer Bud

Veteran
I think the first is just in earlier flowering ,
also seems to be in red soil vs the other farms browner ..

Im thinking that while those buds may look a little chunky , they dont have a huge amount of weight to them ,, the zamal i grew recently was similar and ive seen thai the same ..

id also be inclined to think they are planted late to avoid having massive trees ,, cause they are not so practical ,, all speculation of course ...

+1
G`day Wal

Yeah I was thinkin that they might be feather duster type buds .
They do look chunky though . The ones in the field behind don`t look as bulky .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hybrids in 77' already? Wasn't that like the heyday of Thaistick?

I thought it was from Pakistan and starting in the 80's. I always assumed Thai was a chunkier sativa to begin with because of the partly Chinese origin. Burmese strains to my knowledge have always been "indica-like" and they share border with Chiang Mai in Thailand, which previously belonged to Burma. So maybe they're still pure Thai, maybe a cross of different local genetics? (cause if the genetics were already polluted in 77 I'm giving up lol)

For me, in the US, the heydays were coming to an end in the late 70s. I started getting the sticks in the early 70s, but I believe I read somewhere that they were around as early as the 50s. In the late 70s, we started getting some loose packed, probably from compressed bricks, with significant seeds, but still as high quality smoke. Then the big fat Buddha sticks with red string came. Still high quality, but not as nervously energetic and potent. I think the last ones I'd ever seen were in 82 or so. God I miss that stuff. Never new how much until I smoked a special Neville's Haze that was very similar.The best ones were the pencil thin sticks, just like in the picture Bushy posted. Got some gold ones once.

All the seeds I had thrown away...
:cry:

ThaiBliss

bushweed

Veteran
Hi friends,
Yes I think Don may be on the money that the first plant is earlier in flowering than those in the crop shot. Still it wouldn't surprise if those crop plants were hybrids, 77 was around the beginning of the decline of the Thai Stick market due to DEA sponsored mass herbicide push through Isan, and there was certainly a time when the Thais began crossing in Pakistan and Afghan genetics for multiple crops. The closest I have personally seen to that genotype is from BLB Thai that Don and I have grown, which was from bagseed collected by a friend in Thailand...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Everyone enjoyed the smoke from these plants, not express power, but very balanced and up smoke with a sweet piney taste.
Cernunnos posted some southern Thais earlier in this thread that have that long limbed look.

bushweed

Veteran
These are the ones that look like they might have some NLD in them..
picture.php

Funny thing is the closest I've seen to these are from CBG's Mangobiche..
picture.php

Charlie maintains that he can't figure out where the Mangobiche fits, because it seems unrelated to all the other Colombian cultivars he knows...

I don't know if this shot is from the same crop in 77, they all come from the facebook page of the Thai stick: Surfers scammers etc. by Mike Ritter....
picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Yea hard to get a good idea with those silhouette type shots ,
even fluffy sativas look good like that ..
id love a close shot , not just to see the bud structure ,
but the resin would be great to be able to view ...

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G`day Folks

Chiang Mai Provence is up north next to the Burmese border .
At altitude , with a more temperate climate than on the low land plains .
They grow pine trees , roses and strawberries locally .

Lotsa CIA up there in the 60s/ 70s . Helping separatist armies keep the communists to the north in check .
The Golden Triangle and the Mekong are just up the road .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Goldking Thai 1979 looked fat as hell as well and super fast for an untamed Thai landrace in my opinion. Allegedly came from Thai Stick bagseeds found by member Gold King in Hawaii, from what I remember. Could have been one of those first heirloom Thai/Paki hybrids?

Pic from brother 20'Thai:

picture.php

I think most traditional ganja producers as Thailand but also Colombia, Mexico, Jamaica, Nigeria and so on could have received earlier BDL influences than other places. Probably farmers and druglords there should have realized soon about the money potential from earlier and higher cropping plants, as opposed as their traditional seeds that took months to produce a fluffy and airy crop.

Peace.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Maybe that mango thing in Thai and Colombian is exactly the Pakistani influence we're talking about. The mangobiche looks to have colorations that are atypical in NLD genepools but often expressed in Pakistani hashplants, the mango scent is also present in north western India and Pakistan. Then we have things like Mango Thai and Red Thai in the contemporary Mekong region, while the more remote regions in SE Asia are still growing milder green strains with a lemon smell.

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G`day Thule

Cambodia and Eastern Thailand had a lot of Hindu influence once upon .
Ankor Wat and Phanom Rung are Hindu temples .
Buddha was born a Hindu .

As well the Mekong comes out of southern China wraps around N Thailand [ Golden triangle ] and forms the eastern border with Laos , then cuts through the centre of Cambodia and empties into the Sea in Sth Vietnam . Mekong was the main thorough fare from inland / western China to Sth Vietnam .
So possible Chinese and Indian connections .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I hope it's not too off-topic but did any of that mangobiche ever get exported out of Colombia? If so, what was it called, is it the wackyweed, rainbowbud?

Samson4

Veteran
Has anyone heard of Jambi? I was gifted some seeds that are supposed to be a sativa from Indonesia. My good friend said he was told that the strain originated from thai seeds. He also heard it was indian ganja grown out of town in Jambi. Unfortunately, he never figured our which story was true.

I didnt get to smoke it; but, he said it was very light green/orange and smelled very spicy. It was heavily seeded and surprisingly resinous. "The high is intense and not for the elderly," were his words.

Anyone have experience with such a strain? I was going to grow chiang this season but now Im going to try and pop these seeds.

Oh and they are tiny black seeds. Smaller than anything Ive seen.