What's new

Pure Thai Sativas

Siever

Veteran
Mango , Nevil`s and NL5 Hz all doing their thing in the winter sun here ATM .
EB .

Hi,

Are those Mr Nice's strains? If so, is it true that his strains are so much better than almost any other breeder?
I once bought from him through his auctions. I paid him but never received the seeds and when I mailed him he never answered my questions. That's why I'm reluctant to buy again from him.

Siever

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Hi,

Are those Mr Nice's strains? If so, is it true that his strains are so much better than almost any other breeder?
I once bought from him through his auctions. I paid him but never received the seeds and when I mailed him he never answered my questions. That's why I'm reluctant to buy again from him.

Siever

G`day Siever

Yep Mr Nice via Wally .
Wally did some pollen chucking .
Better than others ? Better to judge for yourself . They do have a lot of old school gear .
I like the Haze crosses .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

vapor

Veteran
I know everyone here says to keep the N low on thai's, but what if you fed them a good amount of N, would they just grow out of control?

you will find plants that use more N naturally. That said, to much N can prolong flowering, and make for harsh smoke. Best to find a balance.Thai is some of the best highs!

D

Drek

Actually, I read a good article a few months back that was saying it's actually not the nitrogen that makes it harsh/poor burning; the guy in the article was saying it's actually caused by too much magnesium.

Thai was probably the best stuff I ever tried and I'm pretty sure it was outdoor! I have some Thai Widow that I'd like to try growing out someday, we'll see.

vapor

Veteran
You mean the cigar article? All well and good from my experience it is all the elements NPK cal/mag etc, But that is for another thread. this is the thai love thread:dance013:
Actually, I read a good article a few months back that was saying it's actually not the nitrogen that makes it harsh/poor burning; the guy in the article was saying it's actually caused by too much magnesium.

Thai was probably the best stuff I ever tried and I'm pretty sure it was outdoor! I have some Thai Widow that I'd like to try growing out someday, we'll see.

Interesting, so i'll make sure not to give epsom salts to my thai's

If anyone knows, how do thai's do in good untilled, fertile, hard clay like soil? but in a good tropical climate? I heard the thai's have strong root systems that tear through hard soil. Reason I am asking is because I was wondering what it would be like to just plop one of these into my backyard (volcanic soil in a tropical area) without any soil prep, give it lots of sun and see how it does?

Its a shame that all cannabis plants these days need soil prep/ferts/babying. Just planting them in the ground, the most natural way, is sort of a novel idea with cannabis these days.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
volcanic soil should be fine, or even ideal, though I don't know how clay like volcanic ash is... my understanding is that Sativas like well draining soil to cope with the high rainfall of tropical areas... but I am new to thai growing so, ya know.

D

Drek

You mean the cigar article? All well and good from my experience it is all the elements NPK cal/mag etc, But that is for another thread. this is the thai love thread
dance013.gif

No, I don't think it was a cigar article. :)

Interesting, so i'll make sure not to give epsom salts to my thai's

If anyone knows, how do thai's do in good untilled, fertile, hard clay like soil? but in a good tropical climate? I heard the thai's have strong root systems that tear through hard soil. Reason I am asking is because I was wondering what it would be like to just plop one of these into my backyard (volcanic soil in a tropical area) without any soil prep, give it lots of sun and see how it does?

Its a shame that all cannabis plants these days need soil prep/ferts/babying. Just planting them in the ground, the most natural way, is sort of a novel idea with cannabis these days.

I don't use Epsom salts. Maybe in a hot water bath for my feet. :)
I use Cal/Mag, but I'm indoors.

In your case, a soft rock source of calcium/magnesium (if needed) would be the way to go. You could always send in a sample to the internet Brix soil testers, and tell them you want to grow tomatoes...and they'll tell ya where your soil is at and what it needs.

misterD

misterD farmhouse
Veteran
red thai

red thai

Hola

It's still 15 hours of light +\- per day here ... But it thought i saw a long pistils out of nowhere!

Attachments

• 2014-07-26-120530.jpg
    2014-07-26-120530.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 2014-07-26-120555.jpg
    2014-07-26-120555.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 2014-07-26-120729.jpg
    2014-07-26-120729.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 28
  • 2014-07-26-121407.jpg
    2014-07-26-121407.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 2014-07-26-121425.jpg
    2014-07-26-121425.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 29

Samson4

Veteran
I found an autoflowering female in my thai82. My oldest thai82 just started throwing pistils at 18/6. I wonder if it can be harnessed. Pics soon.

T

tropicannayeah

If anyone knows, how do thai's do in good untilled, fertile, hard clay like soil? but in a good tropical climate?

they will grow slim, slow, weak and poorly ..will be attacked by insects, probably hermie and the flowering will be slower and the yield much lower than it should of been.. I know cos I live in the same type of locale you describe and I'm a lazy bastard who's tried this way many a time without any success....

All you need to do is after a rain when the hard clay is damp (and easier to work), use a pick or similar to loosen up the soil, the deeper and wider you go, the bigger the plants will be, the less watering they will need and the healthier they will be...and the yield will be ten times better. Then add some compost &/or a small amount of a variety of organic ferts to the loosened up soil, form into a mound and then in a few weeks plant out 3 or 4 one foot high+ seedlings on each mound .

bushweed

Veteran
Hey guys the important thing to add to clay soils is lime or dolomite or gypsum - just sprinkle a handful per square meter and dig it in, this helps break down the clay and integrate whatever compost and fertilizer you put in it. Some clay is present in most sites where equatorial strains grow since it is the basis of rainforest soil, so a little bit of amelioration can produce very productive medium.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
agreed,
give the plants a chance ,
give them what they want ,
then the addition of your climate can aid ,
break that soil up ,,
add some nutrients and humus ,
the more effort you put in ,
the better your plants will reward you ..

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Hey guys the important thing to add to clay soils is lime or dolomite or gypsum - just sprinkle a handful per square meter and dig it in, this helps break down the clay and integrate whatever compost and fertilizer you put in it. Some clay is present in most sites where equatorial strains grow since it is the basis of rainforest soil, so a little bit of amelioration can produce very productive medium.

To heavy clay soils I add lots of organic compost that is fully composted, humus, worm castings, perlite, a small amount of sand if needed, as well as all the usual organic fertilizers, greensand, rock phosphate, dolomite, Beneficial soil fungi, bacteria, microbes. Raised beds help a lot with drainage.
It is organic matter that makes the most difference, add lots well before you plant, like in the winter before you plant.
Have a year round compost pile with all grass clippings and anything else green you can add, saw dust if you have time for it to fully break down, peat moss, maybe with some goat or rabbit shit, but use old shit unless you have a slow carbon source like saw dust, or be sure give it time to break down fully in the compost pile before use.
Cannabis does not like heavy clay soils, or poor drainage.
-SamS

Hi Sam,

sorry for this little "out topic" :

I'm planning to plant a couple of your Original Thai Haze x Skunk and I'm very scary about how much they grow.. do U think LST could be usefull ?

.. I use to grow on my city house balcony :biggrin:

max internal height 110

.. I am in south Italy so..no problem with sun..till late october..

Many Thanks even if you will not answer ..is anyway a honor could read your posts and learn from your tips

:bow::bow:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Hi Sam,

sorry for this little "out topic" :

I'm planning to plant a couple of your Original Thai Haze x Skunk and I'm very scary about how much they grow.. do U think LST could be usefull ?

.. I use to grow on my city house balcony :biggrin:

View Image View Image max internal height 110

.. I am in south Italy so..no problem with sun..till late october..

Many Thanks even if you will not answer ..is anyway a honor could read your posts and learn from your tips

:bow::bow:

Id recommend you flower them from seed, or give no more than a weeks of veg time if you wan't anything manageable. You can control their stretch, but it'll require mostly the use of Metal Halide. Switch to HPS after the stretch is over or they'll overtake your grow room in no time.

The lateral branching on sams Haze Hybrids are absurd. If you LST, you'll only encourage it..lol. Good luck.

Siever

Veteran
To heavy clay soils I add lots of organic compost that is fully composted, humus, worm castings, perlite, a small amount of sand if needed, as well as all the usual organic fertilizers, greensand, rock phosphate, dolomite, Beneficial soil fungi, bacteria, microbes. Raised beds help a lot with drainage.
It is organic matter that makes the most difference, add lots well before you plant, like in the winter before you plant.
Have a year round compost pile with all grass clippings and anything else green you can add, saw dust if you have time for it to fully break down, peat moss, maybe with some goat or rabbit shit, but use old shit unless you have a slow carbon source like saw dust, or be sure give it time to break down fully in the compost pile before use.
Cannabis does not like heavy clay soils, or poor drainage.
-SamS

Do you sometimes reuse your potting soil?
I used to do this without any problem (only for repotting bigger plants, not for seedlings. For seedlings it doesn't work). But lately I have a lot (3/4 of what I replant) of plants dieing overnight when I replant them in already used soil. So I've decided not to do this anymore.

Siever