What's new

Punto rojo selection and repro

Limeygreen

Veteran
@Limeygreen , how did you differentiate the green and gold phenos? In flower I assume? I really appreciate your insight; it lines up exactly with my observations.
I showed them to satva as well and he said that my male reminds him of his gold phenos, I just look at different phenos as well that he grew mostly and link to that pheno type as best as I can, female flower cures to a brown though sometimes light brown but never dark.

The female I have, it reminds me of purple positronics haze (tom hills) in flavour but a bit more mild and spicy wood taste on it as well. Male grows more open than the female with lots of branching wider and farther reaching compared to the female, so it could be more of a bush. Semms like a mix between a green and gold pheno.

The fast pheno I had was dense nugs, 14 weeks, lower stretch and wider leaf, turned tinges of purple on the flowers as well. Some folks really liked that pheno.

gorilla ganja

One thing to keep in mind is the CBG seeds were a lot older and therefore might lose some vigour just from that. Would be interesting to see if clones from all the plants responded the same way, with vigour, height etc.
Edit. Oops ,I Just reread the First post I thought the CBG seeds were from 2008 not 2018. My bad. Not that much difference in age then.

Last edited:

Lugo

Veteran
I used a one to one mating as that's all that I kept in the end, very narrow selection of course. The male is a gold pheno and the female is a green/gold pheno, both tall and vigourous for sure female will put out big colas and clusters and the male is a stud with big floral clusters but i dont have pictures in flower, hes still alive and kicking.

If i recall I got second generation seeds, the last released by cbg might be 3rd or 4th generation but just a guess on my part.

Looking forward to the results you get, I know one person growing them outdoors on the westcoast and gets great results outdoors, I believe he said about 14 weeks flower when forced outdoors, my female goes 20-21 weeks indoors for me.
Just dropping in the thread and I was curious as to what makes a "gold" pheno?

They all look lovely btw

Lugo

Veteran
Resembles colombian gold, lighter colour, lime green or light green leaf, slender stature, smells and floral structure/colour. On females it's also the effect.
I think I know what your referring to. Photograph is unfiltered btw this was a Punto Rojo germ test from late last year. Ended up being a pretty early male.

Those are looking pretty nice!

Attachments

• received_1459706211461943.jpeg
    received_1459706211461943.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 63
  • received_649385940456176.jpeg
    received_649385940456176.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 58
  • received_763497129111778.jpeg
    received_763497129111778.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 68
  • received_832712804946977.jpeg
    received_832712804946977.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 67

OldCoolSativa

Lots of work yesterday, I got #1 through #27 transplanted into 7” pots with an organic soil mix. I need to mix up another batch of soil today and finish up potting the remaining 11 plants. Pics to come.

I think I might use another selection criterion; photokinetic response. I remember reading that the F1 Haze C hybrids had a strong photokinetic response, at least the best of them. I’ll note which punto rojo plants turn and follow the sun through the day. May be interesting.

Lugo

Veteran
Lots of work yesterday, I got #1 through #27 transplanted into 7” pots with an organic soil mix. I need to mix up another batch of soil today and finish up potting the remaining 11 plants. Pics to come.

I think I might use another selection criterion; photokinetic response. I remember reading that the F1 Haze C hybrids had a strong photokinetic response, at least the best of them. I’ll note which punto rojo plants turn and follow the sun through the day. May be interesting.
They totally do that. All plants do that actually but its much faster and noticable in these landrace varieties. This was just placing the pot on its side for a day or so. Same Punto Rojo variety.

Attachments

• 20210111_164722.jpg
    20210111_164722.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 33

OldCoolSativa

A week after up-potting, all the plants are doing well and have gotten a lot darker green. They were definitely N-starved in their little washed out pots. I did my first check on aromas last week and only found a few that stood out from the others; one peppery, a couple citrusy examples, and one that had an incense/woody aroma. All the others smelled similar, but these plants are young and not much can be determined by aroma at this point IMO. One plant had a touch of PM and it's on the cull list.

Yesterday I got around to looking for preflowers on the top 2-3 nodes and I graded the plants as either:
  1. No preflower structures observed (these should be the latest to flower and the longest flowering); or
  2. Tiny preflower structures forming; or
  3. Developing preflower structures; or
  4. Likely male or female preflowers (fastest flowering plants).
Results are:
  • 16 plants ranked #1 (7 CBG and 9 @Limeygreen plants);
  • 4 plants ranked #2;
  • 6 plants ranked #3; and
  • 7 suspected females and 5 suspected males.
I have identified the first 8 plants to cull: #7, 9, 14, 18, 27, 32, 33 and 36. I won't cull them until sex is definite and I have one more chance to give them a nasal appraisal.

I've also identified some plants that I'm less likely to cull even though they appear to be faster flowering, in particular:
  • # 6 looks to be female but it's also the peppery smelling one;
  • #11 is a suspected female but has consistently shown significant resin;
  • #12 looks to be a female but it has "the look" as @RingtailCanyon pointed out;
  • #19 was ranked as a 3 and will probably show sex in a couple weeks but it has the skinniest leaves and most feral structure of all the plants.
This is a lot of work, but it's fun too!

OldCoolSativa

I spent a couple hours yesterday checking the plants, taking notes, and defoliating the first two nodes.

All 38 Punto Rojo plants
PR seed plants Aug 4.jpg

#1 - #7

1-7 Aug 4.jpg

#8 - #14

8-14 Aug 4.jpg

#15 - #21

15-21.jpg

#22 - #28
22-28.jpg

#29 - #35
29-35.jpg

#36 - #38
36-38.jpg

PREFLOWERS AND AROMAS
Based on emerging preflower structure it looks like I have six males and 16 females with 16 TBD. Only ten plants remain that have not shown any preflower structure; these are likely to be the longest flowering. They are: (green text means it's from @Limeygreen seed)
  • #2 - very faint aroma
  • #4 - runt, faint typical aroma
  • #5 - runt, typical aroma
  • #10 - very faint aroma
  • #12 - typical aroma
  • #19 - faint typical aroma
  • #20 - faint wood(?) aroma
  • #21 - faint candy(?) aroma
  • #22 - some PM, meat to rotten meat aroma
  • #26 - little PM, earth and wood aromas
Based on the M/F ratio so far, I don't expect any more than three males from the above. My favorite male so far (and a keeper for sure) is #19; the most feral looking plant of the bunch.

Aromas are always hard to pin down, especially at this stage, but I'm getting what I call a typical or baseline sativa smell in most of the plants - it's pleasant, tropical but not overly sweet, with hints of wood and earth. The more interesting aromas superimpose or replace the typical sativa small with stronger wood and earth aromas as well as pepper, citrus, candy, astringent, and even funky meat aromas.

OldCoolSativa

After checking again today, it looks like I have a lot more males in the mix. What I previously thought were early female pre-flowers, I now think were the early claw shaped structure of male pre-flowers. Current update is:
  • Six plants have not shown any pre-flower structure yet,
  • Three plants have indeterminate, pre-flower structure,
  • 12 likely or suspect females, and
  • 17 likely or suspect males
Pretty soon I’ll be able to put together a ranked list of estimated flowering duration.

Limeygreen

Veteran
In oregon outdoors full term I was told about 14 weeks on the punto rojo seeds I made based on small sample sizes, outdoors the mum was tarped on the west coast 15 weeks or so, outdoors in greenhouse around here about half november finish, flowering starts for them about start of september give or take which was about 14 weeks if that helps. Mum finished indoors consistently around 20 weeks.