What's new

Punto rojo selection and repro

OldCoolSativa

To celebrate my new, larger grow space, I just popped 40 punto rojo seeds. This includes two packs I bought in 2018 from what turned out to be CBG's final PR release. Hopefully they used the same parents as earlier releases, but I'll assess that because I also germinated 20 PR F2s which were a wonderful gift from @Limeygreen. I've sent some of these along to other growers who have found very nice plants in them, and I've found a few myself.

My plan is to cull any fat-leaved outliers, runts, or zero-terpene plants in veg outdoors this summer, take clones of everything left, and carefully observe flower development in September and October. I'll select up to 5 males to flower outdoors, collect pollen for 1:1 pairings, and open pollinate the outdoor seed plants. I'll select up to 12 females to flower. Selection criteria will be (1) latest flowering / longest flowering, (2) pepper/cedar terpenes, (3) plant / bud structure and (4) leaf morphology. I'll try to keep the clones going until I've sampled everything, then select a few female and male keepers for breeding stock. Pretty ambitios but I'm excited about the project.

I've read others who had germination problems with CBG seeds, so I'm trying to improve my chances by using the germination machine. Here we go!

PR seeds.jpg

PR germination 06-18-2023.jpg

Limeygreen

Veteran
I recall I culled some stringy pearl phenos because of some bananas, much more exciting highs than the mum I'm left with, early pheno with more compact flowers was more sedative and sleepy, but if you see the bananas they were on the thinnest leaf, candy smelling wood spice punto rojo type scent, very nice herbs.

RingtailCanyon

I recall I culled some stringy pearl phenos because of some bananas, much more exciting highs than the mum I'm left with, early pheno with more compact flowers was more sedative and sleepy, but if you see the bananas they were on the thinnest leaf, candy smelling wood spice punto rojo type scent, very nice herbs.
I noticed some candy smelling ones in your seeds too. They still have the woody, leathery lumbo aroma too, but with an added sweet/licorice smells.
This is an exciting grow! An excellent line that should be preserved. I hope you can find a keeper clone to pass around.
I have a new generation of these outdoors right now.

bigherb

Veteran
Did he actually say they were different?

Anybody else holding punto rojo or mangobiche stock? It would be a shame to not preserve these gems.
He didn’t say those words exactly that is was different parents .

From an exchange of emails and the response I posted above this is my conclusion

We spoke of 3 different PR lines collected . He wasn’t familiar with the stock collected in tolima . But was familiar with Santa Marta

I have an old CBG PR x bsc Colombian gold from nachillo. Also 2 packs from 2018 PR

If I recall he contributed stock to the initial Punto Rojo release

1luvbigherb

OldCoolSativa

OK, I'm a believer in the germination machine. After 2.5 days, all 20 of the CBG PR seeds have sprouted and 18/20 of the seeds giftes from @Limeygreen have popped and they're all in organic soil waiting to pop their heads above dirt on the summer solstice. Nice. I lost one of LG's seeds by dropping and losing it during transplant, but I now have 37 seeds in soil. I'm going to use this technique on some TRC Nanda Devi seeds I received as a freebie, as I've read about germination problems with these seeds and I'd like to find a couple to grow outdoors this summer.

Here's what the CBG punto rojo sponge looked like after 48 hours...
PR germination 06-20-2023.jpg

OldCoolSativa

Thanks for that information, @Limeygreen. I appreciate any input on plant morphology and selection criteria I can get, especially from those who have grown it like you, @RingtailCanyon and, hopefully, @satva, although he hasn't posted since 2021. Hope he is well. @RingtailCanyon gifted me some PR x mangobiche seeds a few years ago and I was impressed that he had his eye on one of those plants in particular from early veg; that plant turned out to be the 20-week keeper that got better and better as it cured, until it was absolutely sublime after three years in the jar. Well done, amigo; I'm looking forward to your input during this grow.
He didn’t say those words exactly that is was different parents .

From an exchange of emails and the response I posted above this is my conclusion

We spoke of 3 different PR lines collected . He wasn’t familiar with the stock collected in tolima . But was familiar with Santa Marta

I have an old CBG PR x bsc Colombian gold from nachillo. Also 2 packs from 2018 PR

If I recall he contributed stock to the initial Punto Rojo release

1luvbigherb
I tried to source BSC genetics with no luck, and have heard great things about the old BSC line of Colombians. That CBG PR x BSC CG sounds like my cup of tea...how was it? BTW, I think Charlie Garcia referred to Nachillo as a she, but that was before people got hung up on pronouns. ;)

Limeygreen

Veteran
Thanks for that information, @Limeygreen. I appreciate any input on plant morphology and selection criteria I can get, especially from those who have grown it like you, @RingtailCanyon and, hopefully, @satva, although he hasn't posted since 2021. Hope he is well. @RingtailCanyon gifted me some PR x mangobiche seeds a few years ago and I was impressed that he had his eye on one of those plants in particular from early veg; that plant turned out to be the 20-week keeper that got better and better as it cured, until it was absolutely sublime after three years in the jar. Well done, amigo; I'm looking forward to your input during this grow.

I tried to source BSC genetics with no luck, and have heard great things about the old BSC line of Colombians. That CBG PR x BSC CG sounds like my cup of tea...how was it? BTW, I think Charlie Garcia referred to Nachillo as a she, but that was before people got hung up on pronouns. ;)
Satva is around and well. If you read through his punto rojo threads and grows that he mentioned it gives you a decent direction to go. He prefers the colombian gold type ones, lime green or light green colours. Flowers will turn more blonde in jar I believe.

If you want to pop some more seed just let me know I will get you more to go through.

OldCoolSativa

Here are the 38 punto rojo seedlings today, June 30, 12 days from seed. They are numbered top left #1 to bottom right #36. Two possible runts (#4 and #5).

PR seedlings 12 days.jpg

The CBG seedlings look a little smaller than the @Limeygreen seedlings (his are in the green pots), and they generally have skinnier leaves. I observed that LG's seedplants had more abundant globular trichomes in the very early (like the day after sprouting) first leaves. The plants that had the most visible trichs then were #7, 8, 11, 23 and 33. We'll see if that correlates with resin density in flower.

I used a similar photo from yesterday to measure the length/width ratio of the first leaves, then used a spreadsheet to help me select the winners and losers of the Skinny Firs Leaf Contest. These results line up pretty well with what I see when I look at the plants.

ScreenHunter 552.jpg

Limeygreen

Veteran
I don't know how many parents cbg used, i just used one male and one female. Sounds like the male was a good one, @Sub24ox7 grew the congo x punto rojo I made and he seems to love it but will let him speak on that himself.

I had skinnier girls but they were culled early, pearls and slight bananas out, stickier as well and more sweet aromatic resin, too bad I didn't hit them too, leaf overall was much smaller and thinner.

Sub24ox7

I grew I think 8 females, quality weed indeed. I made like 1000 seeds with 2 males and two females. Kept one plant and crossed it with everything.
Quality up smoke I think all the girls were green no purple. I like this weed a lot really…
Will grow more of it asap. Thank you again!
@Limeygreen

Growing a few smcg x thh f2 from you now.
They have large resinous calyxes and look structurally like thh.