What's new

Puffed out bho

For those of you that want these cookies just whip your purged bho thoroughly and fold into the general shape you want throw in the oven and pull avac to at least 20" the puffier you want it the further you pull your vac. Hold it and increase temps up to 115-120 these temps work for anything I've ever tried it on. It will finish like this but I like to pull it out halfway and whip and fold again then throw back in oven and pull to desired vac. I like 22" for a flatter smoother cookie

I like how hash man thinks making these is some big secret.. hahahha.. space cookies or honeycomb is what i consider second quality over perfect slabs of shatter. the only time we ever make these is with things that have already waxed up a touch or extra scraps that are collect together.. i bet you thats his top shelf smoke..

Hash Man

I just signed onto this forum after a 2 year hiatus. I will share the tek with anyone who is interested. I must apologize for not being more informative years ago. The puffball/expanded shatter tek was so elusive to me, years ago; when i figured out how to do it, i didnt want to share it, but at this point in my life i am happy to share. That being said, it may not be the best product, depending on cost benefit analysis. Its a fine product, but i must admit that it takes a long time to create, and the terpine profile is not as good as sap, or even shatter. But its a fine product, and learning how to make it will only increase one's understanding of the complicated process of refining oleo resin into the form you want to make. Again, i apologize for not being transparent years ago, but i am here now and am down to discuss extracts, to exchange knowledge and answer questions. Also, any of my old school friends on icmag, hit a brother up, its been too long. Also i will add, that some have hated on me for not revealing my tek, and have offered their ideas on how to create puffball, no one showed how to make it, they just offered observations and judgement, and never gave true information on the actual creation of the puffball tek. And while we may all have our own preference regarding extracts, true knowledge is only real, when one can create the product one meant to make, when one wants to... Sometimes sap is the best option, or shatter,or wax, etc..., and it all depends on the material you are using.

Last edited:

toohighmf

Veteran
I'm sure there are still plenty interested in learning your tech. As a noob, I'd love to learn how to create this. Thanks!

Hash Man

I dont have a lot of time today, so all i will do is provide a brief description of the puff ball technique.

1. Make shatter. If your extract is not stable at room temp, it will not make puffball. I personally believe that thca is responsible for the structure of shatter, wax, and puff. The thca, in its pure form is a crystal. Thc, in its pure for is an oil. So if you keep getting an oily extract, your material is most likely too old or too oxidized.

2. Gently heat your shatter in a silicone baking bowl. You need to heat the shatter until it is not a glasslike substance. It need to be warm enough to mix with a drill press. The color of the shatter is most likely golden, or even red, but its shatter.... when you use the drill press, i believe, you are whipping air into the shatter. It wil turn from its original color, to a bright gold or yellow, or even offwhite color. Make sure you mix well, the shatter, once heated , and whipped , should be one color, with no streaks of the shatter color.... It should be homogenized.... At this point, i can only offer theory, as the terpine profile, and the thca, thc, and other cannabinoids, are factors that can affect your final product, and can prevent proper puffball formation.

1. If you stabalized the shatter at 100 F or 115 F, for example, you need to lower the temperature around 15F or 20f,l again it depends on your starting material.

2. take the whipped shatter, which should be in you silicone bowl, and put it in the freezer for around 2 minutes. at this point, use the press and pull method to form the whipped shatter into a ball once it has cooled down, you should be able to from it easily and dump it out onto parchment paper.

3. put this into the vac oven. my favorite method is to line a square box with the parchment. this way you can mold the puffball upwards, instead of out, where it could come into contact with the walls of the vac oven.

4 Your temperature in the vac oven should be 15f or 20f lower than the temp you used to stabalize the shatter.

5. Pull a vacuum. At this stage its all about surface tension. The combination of vacuum pressure and heat are the two variables to observe here. As you pull a vacuum, the whipped shatter will begin to expand. If you have too much heat or too much vac pressure, you will see the whipped shatter expand, and pop, and are left with a mass of crappy extract.

6. If you let the whipped shatter expand,and dont break the surface tension, and let the product dry out,under low heat, you will be left with puffball within 2 to 24 hours, again the time depends on your material, and your level of skill

7. this method can also be used with winterized or dewaxed oleoresin.

I am happy to answer any questions you have, so feel free to ask. Have a fabulous day. Hash Man.

HWY36

I dont have a lot of time today, so all i will do is provide a brief description of the puff ball technique.

1. Make shatter. If your extract is not stable at room temp, it will not make puffball. I personally believe that thca is responsible for the structure of shatter, wax, and puff. The thca, in its pure form is a crystal. Thc, in its pure for is an oil. So if you keep getting an oily extract, your material is most likely too old or too oxidized.

2. Gently heat your shatter in a silicone baking bowl. You need to heat the shatter until it is not a glasslike substance. It need to be warm enough to mix with a drill press. The color of the shatter is most likely golden, or even red, but its shatter.... when you use the drill press, i believe, you are whipping air into the shatter. It wil turn from its original color, to a bright gold or yellow, or even offwhite color. Make sure you mix well, the shatter, once heated , and whipped , should be one color, with no streaks of the shatter color.... It should be homogenized.... At this point, i can only offer theory, as the terpine profile, and the thca, thc, and other cannabinoids, are factors that can affect your final product, and can prevent proper puffball formation.

1. If you stabalized the shatter at 100 F or 115 F, for example, you need to lower the temperature around 15F or 20f,l again it depends on your starting material.

2. take the whipped shatter, which should be in you silicone bowl, and put it in the freezer for around 2 minutes. at this point, use the press and pull method to form the whipped shatter into a ball once it has cooled down, you should be able to from it easily and dump it out onto parchment paper.

3. put this into the vac oven. my favorite method is to line a square box with the parchment. this way you can mold the puffball upwards, instead of out, where it could come into contact with the walls of the vac oven.

4 Your temperature in the vac oven should be 15f or 20f lower than the temp you used to stabalize the shatter.

5. Pull a vacuum. At this stage its all about surface tension. The combination of vacuum pressure and heat are the two variables to observe here. As you pull a vacuum, the whipped shatter will begin to expand. If you have too much heat or too much vac pressure, you will see the whipped shatter expand, and pop, and are left with a mass of crappy extract.

6. If you let the whipped shatter expand,and dont break the surface tension, and let the product dry out,under low heat, you will be left with puffball within 2 to 24 hours, again the time depends on your material, and your level of skill

7. this method can also be used with winterized or dewaxed oleoresin.

I am happy to answer any questions you have, so feel free to ask. Have a fabulous day. Hash Man.

Hashman,

Good look. The 15f lower in the vac than the stable shatter temp is helpful. I've had the same strain work at a specific temp and then not work at that temp on another occasion. I'm not sure if it's moisture in the material. Any thoughts?

Also, you said earlier in this thread that you only get one shot. Do you still believe this to be true? I've re whipped the same cookie several times.When I stick my finger on it it doesn't go dark now but it's not hard either. Too late?

Hash Man

HWY36... I have experienced this as well. With two separate runs of the same material. Some of the stuffed turned to shatter very easily , so easily in fact, that I did not have to do much at all. The other run, of the same material, took over 24 hours to stabilize, and required an increase of around 20 f to create a hard crack candy like appearance. I don't know why this is happening. All I can do is look at the extract as I am refining it the vacuum oven, N go from there.

Also I have never tried to rewhip a cookie. As the extract oxidizes, the THCa degrades to THC and results in an oily runny extract.... as long as you don't over process it, I guess rewhip could work, but if u do it right the first time, you won't have to approach a second whipping.