What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Promix vs Coco coir

BobChronic6505

Could someone pls explain the differences of growing In peat moss from the coco perspective?

For example, they say coco is hungry for extra calmag right? Something to do with potassium in the coco?? So a person is supposed to add extra calmag to coco coir grows.

Promix is already buffered with lime, so it's already loaded with calmag?? Is this correct?

My promix grows are always deficient, yellowing along the entire edges of the margin. Why?

Let's say in coco, I am feeding 5 ml calmag, 2ml grow, 5 ml micro, 10 ml bloom....how would I amend this for promix?? In the past I just cut the calmag from the mixture, or might add 1ml, but I get above stated deficiency on fan leaves.

Promix retains to fucking much water I have a hard time getting nutrients to the plant bc the medium stays so saturated.

Anyone have any tips or secrets or anecdotes ??

Gday. I don't add extra calmag to my nutrient tank in coco. Just the base a+b nutes are sufficient. If you want to add it Its personal preference, if you feel you need it and see a difference. You can get calcium and magnesium from using bio-stimulants in coco too, which i have used but am not currently. The only other additive I use is Power SI

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been using HP promix for many years now. The guys at promix keep stating the proper PH is 5.8 same as coco. Dot listen to them.. I tried this years ago and failed.
Peat seems to grow more like soil than coco for me. I keep my at PH 6.5. Anytime I try a lower PH with hp promix I run into issues.

This is what I do right out of my cloner..
My cloner uses ph 5.8. when those are rooted they go directly into a solo cup with HP promix with just RO for the 1st wet down. I don't check PH on my RO but its prob 7-7.5?... When dried enough there 1st feed is ph 6.5 at 450ppm. I never change this while in veg. In flower, my PH is the same but EC/PPM is increased to 1.2ec.

Try 1 plant using a PH of 6.5.. make sure you are giving your plants a proper wet/dry cycle. I do not feed again until it's pretty dry. You can tell by pot weight. Once you get use to this you will know how often to feed.. This works for me, it should work for you.

Hope this helps
HHG

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
HP Promix, set it and forget it! (more or less), and BTW you don't water until run off in Promix. When I flush, my plants are wet for 6-7 days. Check my sig...

BobChronic6505

Hey isn't there something with the cations exchange in coco? Anyone know about that stuff???? What about cations in promix?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hammerhead do u use calmag when u feed in promix hp???

Any and other tips for promix?

I have used Dark Energy but not on any regular usage. I sometimes top dress with Worm castings. I use microbes often. I do not use cal/mag in veg. I tried some in flower but stopped.. I must say Dark energy+ EWC did fix the slight deficiencies noticed in flower under LED lights. PH is the biggest issue I see most encounter. There using way to low PH with Promix.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Gday. I don't add extra calmag to my nutrient tank in coco. Just the base a+b nutes are sufficient. If you want to add it Its personal preference, if you feel you need it and see a difference. You can get calcium and magnesium from using bio-stimulants in coco too, which i have used but am not currently. The only other additive I use is Power SI

Canna?

The promix will have a cec as do most things. CoCo has specific issues though. It's constantly breaking down, releasing K and sodium. Few plants can survive in salt water like the coconut tree. It has a lot of sodium to give off, and the K. In organic growing you are using this decomposure to provide a balanced diet. In CoCo all that rotting really does is give off a bad balance. Both substrates have cation exchange sites. If you think back, did you ever play musical chairs? The substrate has these negative ions exposed, and of all the cations in solution, whoever is nearest gets to sit. Ca&Mg are a bit of a bully, but if K and sodium are there is high number, many will get seated. We don't want the sodium playing, and would like the rest of the seats filled with a nice ratio of things we like. So in CoCo we have to constantly take care of this. Moving out the abundant levels of K and Sodium salts. Being ready to take the free seats (cation exchange sites) and even displace the owners of a few taken ones. As Calcium and Mag carry a greater charge? C++ and Mg++ vs K+ and.. Yeah I forgot the sign for sodium(+)

I really know bugger all about biology or chemistry. Just early learning years at school. So my story may be frayed around the edges.

BobChronic6505

f e I appreciate you replying man. So is it correct to say that coco is positively charged with K? Since it Is always giving away K? Does it ever run out of K?

Promix does Not have this +K charge the way that coco does, is that correct?

Do you apply it separately or mix it into the nute tank?

Mix into the the tank, first, diluted into 5 gallons, and then base nutes.

fe- canna and h&g. Canna is diluted by almost half and costs twice as much the hg. But in general I think you see less deficiency in canna, which may be the reason its less concentrated to facilitate a better balanced formulation..

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Mix into the the tank, first, diluted into 5 gallons, and then base nutes.

Got it. I read somewhere that they say to feed separately, and we all know that that ain't gonna happen in the real world.

And I was very interested in your no cal/mg grow. I am only a dozen grows in with coco, but I have tried Advanced & Remo nutes and if I was slow starting cal/mg with either, I got the leaf splotches etc of deficiency - which went away by adding cal/mag. I switched to Canna a few grows ago and just automatically add cal/mg into early flower - like I always do. So, you haven't had any problems?

Got it. I read somewhere that they say to feed separately, and we all know that that ain't gonna happen in the real world.

And I was very interested in your no cal/mg grow. I am only a dozen grows in with coco, but I have tried Advanced & Remo nutes and if I was slow starting cal/mg with either, I got the leaf splotches etc of deficiency - which went away by adding cal/mag. I switched to Canna a few grows ago and just automatically add cal/mg into early flower - like I always do. So, you haven't had any problems?

I use power si @ 3.5-5ml/20L
I should say I also mix the a+b base separately in another 20L and then add that to the power si in the tank.

Mate your milage really does vary when it comes to calmag deficiency, there's alot of factors not less our own grow conditions and genetics. Do what works for you, id recommend going with and without so at least you know for sure firsthand what works for you.
I got trace calcium and magnesium from a weekly application of kelp/fish/Fulvic (cyotokinins, tri indole acetic acid) product called Harvest Organix. To that I added amino-max (plant based amino acid chelate) humic acid (fulvic and humic both work in synergy and more effective than either just used on its own) Aloe Vera (whole aloe Vera stake in a smoothie blender and strained) and a dash of yucca powder.
For the most part all these things are chelators, which bind with the calcium and carry it to the grow tips and forming buds. Depending on your water source and base nutrients you already have sufficient calcium but it held tightly by the coco and is fairly immobile hence the use of chelators.

jackspratt61

Canna?

The promix will have a cec as do most things. CoCo has specific issues though. It's constantly breaking down, releasing K and sodium. Few plants can survive in salt water like the coconut tree. It has a lot of sodium to give off, and the K. In organic growing you are using this decomposure to provide a balanced diet. In CoCo all that rotting really does is give off a bad balance. Both substrates have cation exchange sites. If you think back, did you ever play musical chairs? The substrate has these negative ions exposed, and of all the cations in solution, whoever is nearest gets to sit. Ca&Mg are a bit of a bully, but if K and sodium are there is high number, many will get seated. We don't want the sodium playing, and would like the rest of the seats filled with a nice ratio of things we like. So in CoCo we have to constantly take care of this. Moving out the abundant levels of K and Sodium salts. Being ready to take the free seats (cation exchange sites) and even displace the owners of a few taken ones. As Calcium and Mag carry a greater charge? C++ and Mg++ vs K+ and.. Yeah I forgot the sign for sodium(+)

I really know bugger all about biology or chemistry. Just early learning years at school. So my story may be frayed around the edges.

The most recent batch of coco tested:
Ca 1963ppm
K 6743
Mg1604
Na 2230

P 136ppm
Ec .51
Ph 6.9
So what's the correction needed?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The reason I prefer peat over coco, is coco coir needs to be flooded every three to five hours. Pro-mix needs to be flooded every three to five days, depending on the size of the container. A lot less work moving water and mixing nutrients with peat.😎

BobChronic6505

Creeperpark I agree man, and tbh, my promix plants have came out much better than my coco plants. Much better smell, taste, bud structure was much tighter and not as fluffy as my coco buds tend to be.

Problem is I cant seem to grow as well in promix and it's got me fucked up

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Pro mix can be tricky if you miss a basic guideline, like not using pure water, fortified with cal mag. Also its important to maintain a consistent acidic pH for the best nutrient exchange from the media to the plant. The maintenance is very low when you dial in the nutrients, and matching lights, with the correct size containers.😎

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Creeperpark I agree man, and tbh, my promix plants have came out much better than my coco plants. Much better smell, taste, bud structure was much tighter and not as fluffy as my coco buds tend to be.

Problem is I cant seem to grow as well in promix and it's got me fucked up
... so which is it, can't have it both ways?