What's new

Price inflation

buzzmobile

Veteran
that will depend on whether they are talking gross or net...if it is net, all of that has been accounted for.

I can help.

GROSS
gross.jpg

NET
ghost-fishing-net.jpg

Your friend,
Granddad

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I can help.

NET

Your friend,
Granddad

looks like what they call a "ghost net". they get caught on sea bottom and are abandoned, & keep catching, killing & wasting vast amounts of sea life until they rot away. i know the fishermen would hate them, but nets need to be made out of something much less durable...

'Boogieman'

that will depend on whether they are talking gross or net...if it is net, all of that has been accounted for.

You are not taking into account that the business could be growing and expanding Opening new locations to bring in additional revenue. Some businesses like starbux are growth companies, they also could have made contracts with suppliers of coffee at a fixed rate and take advantage of the increase of commodities themselves, probably both.

Cannavore

Veteran
If you cant pay your workers a living wage, if you dont allow your workers unionize, if you've raised prices on your products THREE times since October 2021..... I am talking about Starbucks here.... then they shouldn't be opening up more locations.

Three Berries

If you cant pay your workers a living wage, if you dont allow your workers unionize, if you've raised prices on your products THREE times since October 2021..... I am talking about Starbucks here.... then they shouldn't be opening up more locations.

How much is a living wage?

I'll take the 5 quarters and hour from back in the silver coin days over what you get today.

Three Berries

In high inflation times the service economy will take a huge hit. Starbucks, McDonalds and the like are the first to get the boot when a family is spending what little is left.

Better not have cash in the bank ether if your losing vs +10% inflation. And better buy what you know you need now. Get that toilet paper supply built up. Might start picking up cans along the road again.....

Cannavore

Veteran
How much is a living wage?

I'll take the 5 quarters and hour from back in the silver coin days over what you get today.

a cost of living adjusted wage that allows you to be able to afford rent in a two bedroom home in any state would be a great start. right now current minimum wage does no such thing. it's not even close. if prices on goods and services keep rising, why doesn't our pay? inflation or not it doesnt seem very smart to turn people away from the markets lol.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-OOR_2bedroom_map_Figure_01_WEB.png Views:	0 Size:	325.1 KB ID:	18103876

Cuddles

Prices over here have been going up and up for some years now. even before covid came to town but since then, even more so.
It´s gotten even worse this year. I went to the supermarket to buy a pound of coffee and it suddenly cose 5 cents more than the last time.
Also shelves are kinda more empty again too. I couldn´t even get a pack of flour this week as it was totally sold out ie shelves were empty !
couldn´t get my brand (cheap) brand of kitchen paper towels, or hair conditioner for weeks and weeks either.

Things are nuts, yet again.

I hope I can still get tampons next time I go to the other shops!!!!!

Three Berries

a cost of living adjusted wage that allows you to be able to afford rent in a two bedroom home in any state would be a great start. right now current minimum wage does no such thing. it's not even close. if prices on goods and services keep rising, why doesn't our pay? inflation or not it doesnt seem very smart to turn people away from the markets lol.

As you can see there is quite a disparity between states. How do you make them all the same so everyone has the same living wage?

Three Berries

Prices over here have been going up and up for some years now. even before covid came to town but since then, even more so.
It´s gotten even worse this year. I went to the supermarket to buy a pound of coffee and it suddenly cose 5 cents more than the last time.
Also shelves are kinda more empty again too. I couldn´t even get a pack of flour this week as it was totally sold out ie shelves were empty !
couldn´t get my brand (cheap) brand of kitchen paper towels, or hair conditioner for weeks and weeks either.

Things are nuts, yet again.

I hope I can still get tampons next time I go to the other shops!!!!!

I bought a bag of fertilizer, really need three a year. I was hoping for a sale later to get the other two. Then decided to just get the other two and three days later they were up 10%. This weekend they have a 10% off sale.....

Cuddles

I bought a bag of fertilizer, really need three a year. I was hoping for a sale later to get the other two. Then decided to just get the other two and three days later they were up 10%. This weekend they have a 10% off sale.....

I think most retailers do this sort of thing. I noticed it clearly several years ago when I was looking for affordable clothes and shoes . I bought some for pretty cheap, then a coupe of weeks I get the newsletter and it said 10% off everything. And I thought bugger, I should have waited! But then I checked. What I had purchased , which cost about 13 or 14 EUR now cost about 20 EUR... but hey 10% off...NICE, ey?
they really know how to trick us, don ´t they?

Cuddles

they have just raised minimum wages over here this year but prices (eg postage, groceries etc) went right up. Even before the new minimum wage paycheck was handed out! The reason for this? Weeell wages are up so we put the prices up. Not allowing people to live a little better but actually worse. Wankers!

Cuddles

In high inflation times the service economy will take a huge hit. Starbucks, McDonalds and the like are the first to get the boot when a family is spending what little is left.

Better not have cash in the bank ether if your losing vs +10% inflation. And better buy what you know you need now. Get that toilet paper supply built up. Might start picking up cans along the road again.....

technically I should be fine then: I hate McDonalds (there is one just round the corner but no thanks) and I have NO money in my account what so ever!
Oh wait... no, I´m not fine at all!

Three Berries

Better off a borrower during high inflation if you can get a good rate.

First house loan was in 1980 and you could not even get a long term loan. A 5 year balloon loan at 11% a year was the best w could get.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I think most retailers do this sort of thing. I noticed it clearly several years ago when I was looking for affordable clothes and shoes . I bought some for pretty cheap, then a coupe of weeks I get the newsletter and it said 10% off everything. And I thought bugger, I should have waited! But then I checked. What I had purchased , which cost about 13 or 14 EUR now cost about 20 EUR... but hey 10% off...NICE, ey?
they really know how to trick us, don ´t they?

grocery stores here are notorious for that kind of shit. check prices closely. i've seen cans of a product packaged up in plastic wrap "on sale- 6 for $6". but the singles might be 75 cents each, but are nowhere near the "sale" items so you could compare. the word "SALE!" makes some folks go blind...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
they have just raised minimum wages over here this year but prices (eg postage, groceries etc) went right up. Even before the new minimum wage paycheck was handed out! The reason for this? Weeell wages are up so we put the prices up. Not allowing people to live a little better but actually worse. Wankers!

yeah, they aren't going to let the "little people" catch up a bit. gotta keep them "in their place".

Latest posts

Latest posts