What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Price inflation

Cuddles

Well, gold has been going up again recently - 1926 USD today, which is nice.
BUT the dollar is weaker again too. So no good to me, lol

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
In europe is probably more used than actual cards now. Since most banks offer it for free, many use it.

Cuddles

In europe is probably more used than actual cards now. Since most banks offer it for free, many use it.
I suppose it varies - over here most people use their debit cards as those are usually free.

I´m not falling into the `no cash is better trap.´ I only started using my debit card last year! And I really don´t like the idea of no cash at all, for reasons I mentioned earlier in this thread. I just don´t trust it. I don´t want banks to have that kinda power. Not after the way those guys keep messing things up!

Corpselover Fat

really? Is it common to pay using the phone, where you live?
round here it isn´t but I recently saw someone at the supermarket in fromt of me try to pay this way and it didn´t work that well , it seemed.
I really don´t want to need a stupid smartphone to buy fruit and veg :(

Fairly common, but a minority. Most everyone pays by card. We've had rfid contactless paying on our cards for years so doing the same with the phone isn't that different.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
you guys can pay like this when you´re at a local market (not a regular shop) too?
i knew about a store locally (farmers market stuff, veggies, honey, etc. they did not accept plastic in any form.
i miss the peaches and cream corn and new potatoes i got there. they had Peach Nehi drinks too, and amish butter. it was sad...

Cuddles

I reckon they were laundering money. That's the reason cash will never die.
I dunno, in order to accept cards etc you need to go out and buy all the stuff - card readers and so on and stuff like that isn´t cheap.
Nothing to do with money laundering, I´m sure.
I don´t think anyone here in my area pays using plastic when shopping at our local market for fruit n veg. Gotta look more closely in future when I go there.

Three Berries

US paid $853 Billion in Interest for $31 Trillion Debt in 2022; More than Defense Budget in 2023. If the Fed keeps rates at at these levels (or higher) we will be at $1.2 trillion to $1.5 trillion in interest paid on the debt. The US govt collects about $4.9 trillion in taxes.

Fngqm68aQAMXA9l

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I don´t think anyone here in my area pays using plastic when shopping at our local market for fruit n veg
got a couple of vendors that took plastic at local farmers market this past year. they are only open Saturday, Wednesday, and national holidays though, April through October i think. there is an ATM just outside the door as well in case....

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Apple Pay is my buddy. Gading. I hear that sound and I'm outa there.
The only thing I use cash for is tips. People who have to work for tips shouldn't be stiffed for taxes after working for shitty pay.

Gold is overpriced right now. Russia is selling because they need cash while oil countries are buying it up. Hype on an impending war and economic woes are also driving up the price. Just remember, hype is cheep. Look at Faux news and the crap that they push, there's an Australian guy behind that working the money machine.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
View attachment 18821294
This is $1 USD in Venezuelan Bolivars.

VEF

VES is less grim, but the shock value goes down... but I think you are aware, as you seem to be Mr. Current Events.

Are you concerned about the exchange rate for your vacation to Venezuela?

Anytime you need to get worked up over inflation just remember the trade wars that Trump thought he could win and the resultant catastrophe... but I'm sure you remember because you have always been Mr. Current Events, right?

buzzmobile

Veteran

Three Berries

I went to Brazil in the 80's and they had just adjusted their 100,000 note down to 100 with a new one. Both were in circulation at the time. $20 US was like gold.