What's new

prescribed meds, mood stabilizers

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
@Demasoni - dude, i've been there, done that, played their games, took their meds...never again, never never never never never...

shit is true DRUGS..every sense of the word man...man made bullshit to make money.

i had to have someone tell me straight up "get your act together, stop the so called "meds", lose the weight, eat right, and exercise..stop being such a pussy."..it worked for me to have someone I loved tell me that to my face..

today, I don't take that crap..I lost the weight, exercised my balls off, and still eat very healthy for the most part.

Chronage

Scholastic Warrior
Sorry man. BTW, I never said anything you said was potentially deadly, said incorrect info can be. Second, stopping my pills was my choice, I also added I wouldn't recommend anyone do that, period. Just like you mentioning boozing while taking benzo's. I'm sure you wouldn't recommend that, and you didn't, just as I didn't with just dropping off meds. I gave the op specific information on one of the meds he asked about, including my personal use of it. You don't need to put words in my mouth just because you didn't appreciate/understand my post. Some of the things you wrote just kinda through me off ya know? Im very interested in what anti-depressant you take for nerve and back pain since you didn't list it and it sounds perfect for a lot of people. You obviously have a much larger wealth of information than I do. I'm just a kid who loves pharms and playing with them. I do need to work on posts that are more helpful/loaded with facts. Perhaps we can let bygons be bygons and I can learn a few things from you.

Peace, Chron.

NotAllThere

That's cool man i think it can be said both of us explained ourselves poorly in some aspects and jumped the gun a little in our replies :p

I will admit iv not been on many internet forums over the past few years since i left overgrow, and due to the amount of trolls i'm afriad i may have developed a reflex to snappy replies!

The antidepresent for nerve pain is well known in the medical community Amitriptyline. its an old school anti depressent there are some newer versions of it with less side effects but for me unless taking high doses or going through any sort of manic symptoms i have pretty much zero problems with it where as my friend took the lowest dose possible and he could have sworn his mouth was made of sand!

I'm by no means an expert on pharmacology or human psychology / biology, but my career and education depending what research im working on does involve alot of biology, anatomy, toxicology, and behavioural studies etc, so that mixed with personal interest and research and access to pretty much any scientific journal through my establishment does give me a slight advantage :p

But back to the point for the OP.

If you think you need it get a second opinion or even a thrid. Dont fish for a specific diagnosis and accept that these problems may not be withdrawel but other issues that were never addressed. Often doctors have alot of info about you / your symptoms that they dont say because either you would not understand it, they dont have the time to explain every detail, or they have differing opinions to other doctors.....and the internet. There is so much false information on the internet where one person has a supposed reaction to something then posts it as fact, or a doctor thinks something may be happening and creates a new illness which everyone can self diagnose with.

If you dont mind me asking demasoni, what was wrong that you started taking anti depressents? and also did you recieve any therapy such as CBT / CABT or anything aswell? also did you slowly stop the drugs or just go cold turkey?

I just read your other thread and to me it sounds like anxiety / panick attacks i used to get them alot and the extra adrenaline your body pumps out can cause all sorts of problems increased perception which with any paranoia can get out of control heart beating like its trying to press its own hash etc headaches from the ups and downs. And adrenaline...well theres a reason why its in epipens or in the films alot ( The classic needle of adrenaline to the heart scenes). It does give you system that massive boost which could easily explain that lack of getting high.

Many antidepressents are given to people with various forms of anxiety to treat them and they can really work...the problem is if you dont take it for but have mild anxiety or an underlying tendency and get given something that eases it or makes you not have to worry about it at all...you can easily lose the ability to control it.

The old saying if you dont use it you lose it is very true for brain functions! As Space Ghost said it may just be a waiting game to let your neurochemistry settle back down (this is where going cold turkey makes it worse as its a huge shock) and you may just be hyper sensitive for any variety of reasons depending on how exactly the antidepressents affected you.

I mean i used to be fine without redbull / coffee etc...after drinking it for so long it took me weeks to get used to getting up and not having that drug wake me up. My body had to learn to start itself / regualte its energy on its own again!

Its possible that by solving one problem you uncovered another that requires some sort of treatment (by treatment i mean therapy or meds preferably both!) but withdrawels from meds is an illness in itself and if its starting to cause serious problems you may need help getting balanced.

As i said before lamictal is actually an anti-convulsant and was not made for treatment of mood disorders but it ended up showing those effects and helping so it got used as an off label mood stabiliser then got officially approved as one.

going on and coming off any drug has its risks, but those risks can easily be outweighed with the correct therapy. If your nmot getting / have not recieved any form of CBT etv ask for it.

The only people who need these meds all the time are people with life long chronic conditions that are untreatable by talking therapy alone or people with biological dysfunction. For others they are a tool to recovery. Like a splint on a broken leg to help it heal, straight. i mean you would'nt splint someones leg without resetting the bone in the right position or with a gap...but sadly thats how some doctors / patients use these pills then wonder why they dont work or the problem comes back.

When i had the problem with adrenaline (basically your body gets stuck in the fight or flight mode or nearly anything can set it off) i was given beta blockers (propanolol) which took my resting heart rate down from 115 to 60. That combined with exercise to help burn off the extra adrenaline is what really worked for me. again this was my personal experience and with bipolar mania accounts for alot of it.

Cardio is great for burning off that extra energy and clearing your head, weight training is awesome for getting your body to pump out its own natural painkillers and happy drugs! especially anything that works the biggest muscle groups to failure such as bench press, squats leg press etc. glutes, pecs, and quads when worked to exhaustion have shown to cause the biggest release of hormones etc out of the muscle groups (but if you do work out and do weights make sure you get a full body plan as the last thing you want is to swap a mental health problem for a muscle imbalance / injury!

Again as a disclaimer this is all stuff from my own personal experience, as im not a trained professional / know your condition and what treatment you have these are just suggestions and things to look into.

Sorry again for massive walls of text! peace and good luck man it does get better!

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Demasoni may I refer back to my original post in your thread "May I caution you, you claim you are seeing more than one doctor and have "years of complications from anti depressnts" yours is not an issue anyone here should be counseling you with. If they have personal experience with the meds their reactions to those meds may not be comparable to what you might experience. Good luck, be safe DD "

You should keep in mind this is the Internet, the world wide web, anyone in the world having unknown experience with these medications can be replying and advising you here. And just because they receive favorible or un-favorible post ratings does not reflect on thier schooling and expertise in the field. Be safe..DD

WelderDan

Veteran
effexor is some horrible shit. couldnt sit still couldnt sleep.i was a zombie. my doctor was on vacation. had to take valium to calm down. got my prescription changed as fast as i could.horrible stuff. i think i didnt sleep for a whole week. i was going crazy.

Man you got that right. I was put on Effexor and that shit made me high as a kite after 5 days of the starter dose. Felt like I had done an entire 8-ball by myself. It bumped up my Blood Pressure to 170/100. I dumped that shit down the toilet. Nasty nasty stuff.

After that, I fought depression and anxiety for two or more years before self medication and self destructive behavior began to take its toll. I saw a psychologist, but it only helped so much. After much resistance, I agreed to see a psychiatrist. I initially refused medication due to my previous experience with Effexor.

My shrink explained to me that not all meds are created equal, and sometimes you have to try a few things things until you find what meds best suit you (DUH!). She put me on a low dose of Zoloft and man did it do wonders for me. Hell, I even asked for a dosage increase after 6 months. I tolerated it very well. No side effects at all for me. I took it for 5 years, until I decided I really didn't need it anymore and just weaned myself down with no side effects. Been off it for 4 years now. For me, it was ideal. It did exactly what it was supposed to do, and didn't have any side effects.

My brother is bi-polar and he really doesn't have much choice but to medicate. He gets pretty far out there if he goes off the meds. I'm talking crazy, staying up for days, seeing aliens shit.

He's on Lithium and something else. The lithium causes him to balloon up. When he's off the meds he gets real skinny, but he's up to 245 on the lithium. Better fat than crazy though.

The bottom line is that you have to work with your shrink. They need feedback to prescribe and dose you properly. If you get on something and it isn't working, or you have weird side effects, insist on trying something else. If your shrink won't work with you, find one that will. You don't have to suffer through a bunch of weird side effects to be mentally stable. There are dozens of drugs, it's a matter of finding the right dose of the right medication.

T

texsativa

Not surprising no luck with the antidepressants as they can really activate someone with bipolar. In fact, if you had been taking antidepressants successfully I'd question the bipolar diagnosis. Get off those. Maybe lithium is all you need? Lithium pretty tolerable, so I've heard.

NotAllThere

Agreeing with DoobieDuck here, Giving some adivce such as looking into new therapies or making sure you ask the right questions and research the drugs (unless your a hypocondriac in which case you can make yourself worse or give yourself side effects that if yuou didnt know they exist you would not have got!) in which case you just have to lay it out on the table with the doc what you want how you feel why you feel like that /if you dont know why, start looking for triggers for episodes, as thats the best way to treat yourself. look for what causes the problems amd avoid them or learn how to rework around them!

Its good you said in your first post that you dont intend to take any of this as medical advice as you shouldnt, use the ideas to do your own research. make lists write down how you feel / what symptoms are happening at the time etc to try and piece things together.

Eventually you will be able to go...hmmm bad nights sleep stress at home + coffee = headache. or too much Sleeping and stress + smoking gives me panick attacks..so you learn to alter your habits.

But coming off these drugs and problems left over. i would talk to your doc about CBT + beta blockers and see what he thinks (helps with panick attacks and migraines in some people) look into healthy foods fruit vege and exercise as part of your everyday life not just for treatment. as sad as it is cut back on the weed, unless you have access to a good high CBD blueberry harlequin cannatonic, look for the seeds by the breeders CDB crew as they claim to have stabilised there strains for 1:1 ratio of thc and CBD.

CBD has shown to nulify high doses of THC making it harder to overdo THC so you dont have to give up the high you enjoy just tailor the balance to what suits you!

Good luck man and if you feel like talking send me a PM 10 + years of counceling and goign throguh the system myself i can be a good impartial listener who does not know you so you can vent away and it will have no judgement, impact or reprcusions etc and if your really worried i may be able to break my rule and do a it of research for you so you can qoute papers to your docs etc.

goodluck mate

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
CBD has shown to nulify high doses of THC making it harder to overdo THC so you dont have to give up the high you enjoy just tailor the balance to what suits you!

For those looking to medicate via cannabis... I highly recommend looking in to canna-caps.

Make them so that you can barely feel the effects of one capsule. Eat those for 3-4 weeks, 3-4 times a day. Essentially maintain a steady baseline dose.

At the end of the 3-4 weeks, make a new batch that's a bit stronger so you can just barely feel the effects again. Continue taking those unless you feel you should do otherwise.
I highly recommend this to anyone who finds a strain or strains that work well for them.

When making the canna-caps, the availability of oil from a high CBD strain will most likely come in very handy. Adding just a tiny amount of that oil should moderate whatever strain you find works best(that's my theory anyway) . I do have a bit of a concern that a high CBD indica will cause the same or similar issues for me that mainstream indicas do these days.

Regardless, the addition of a small amount of high CBD oil to your regular oil should decrease the number of pills you need each day without affecting you much... I have yet to test this theory :)

Anyone know if CBD needs to be orally activated before using??

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

S

Space Ghost

Lithium pretty tolerable, so I've heard.

you've heard wrong... Living on high doses of lithium is strange to say the least... It's like living under a wet rug or blanket... You have so little engergy... you are physically weaker... Thoughts in your mind are muddled as if there is molasses flowing through you brain instead of blood... Sex life altered/fucked... Strong general apathy about everything (which is where most of the "therapy" is derived from) I cant talk enough enough shit about lithium bicarbonate, which oddly is a naturally occurring compound in mineral deposits and leaches into water supplies (it's rare but in some places in sub-Saharan Africa, there is enough lithium bicarbonate in the daily consumed water that constitutes a moderate dose/day for every man, woman, and child and the weird part is that the rate of bi-polar disorder in those area and in most of sub-Saharan Africa are higher than other parts of the world. )

sorry bout the tangent... high....

SG

B

BrnCow

I'm interested in anyones experiences with medicines like seroquil, lamictal, and even lithium

The doctors I'm dealing with of course insist that those meds have "relatively little" negative side effects, or symptoms from cessation.
I'm highly skeptical, especially after years of complications from anti depressnts which they continually dismiss.

I posted concerns separately about some neurological changes affecting my every day life and cannabis use.
For those reasons my current MDs are trying to prescribe these mood stabilizers, seroquil etc.. my worry is being able to get off them when I elect to, especially once I'm in a situation where I can consistently provide myself quality MMJ that could possibly better manage my issues. Then I'll see if the mood stabilizers are truly necessary. Meanwhile I'm concerned about starting something that could cause a permanent imbalance, or that I can't get off later..
Have you found yourself stuck on seroquil, lamictal? experienced nasty side effects?

(note, any info here is not replacing "professional" medical advice. Just seeking alternative views, individual experiences. We already know what many MDs have to say ;). meds for everyone!!!)

Some of those meds do have side effects. You can check out depression and bi polar forums for info. One person I knew took Tegretol. It made him emotionally flat but it helped him with his bipolar manic symptoms. The flat eventually made him stop using it. By flat, he described it as like if a bus full of school kids crashed beside him, no emotions! World blows up - it's okay...lol He finally grew out of the thing and now is just dealing with depression on a daily basis and no meds.

T

texsativa

you've heard wrong... Living on high doses of lithium is strange to say the least... It's like living under a wet rug or blanket... You have so little engergy... you are physically weaker... Thoughts in your mind are muddled as if there is molasses flowing through you brain instead of blood... Sex life altered/fucked... Strong general apathy about everything (which is where most of the "therapy" is derived from) I cant talk enough enough shit about lithium bicarbonate, which oddly is a naturally occurring compound in mineral deposits and leaches into water supplies (it's rare but in some places in sub-Saharan Africa, there is enough lithium bicarbonate in the daily consumed water that constitutes a moderate dose/day for every man, woman, and child and the weird part is that the rate of bi-polar disorder in those area and in most of sub-Saharan Africa are higher than other parts of the world. )

sorry bout the tangent... high....

SG

Not really...I do believe there will be side effects, and not everyone will experience the same side effects, but it is pretty damn tolerable. You have to weigh the risks...mayble a feeling of fatigue vs being delusional breaking into buildings to find to conspiracy documents...hummmm...

I've spoken with people who are taking lithium at extremely high doses, they love it. They stop taking it because they feel good, then...hehe...well...

G

guest3871

One of my best friends was VERY ill with all sorts of mental problems for a very long time, then a few of us started experimenting with ecstacy for a while including him....

... he was like a different person, like the 'old' him for a couple of months.

Then out of the blue, he killed himself. It was very hard to believe.

I don't exactly know why i just shared this, i think it's just how certain drugs can have 'hidden' side effects?

I take prescription meds everyday, sometimes i know i CAN'T live without them, but other times it can be a bit scary...

T

texsativa

One of my best friends was VERY ill with all sorts of mental problems for a very long time, then a few of us started experimenting with ecstacy for a while including him....

... he was like a different person, like the 'old' him for a couple of months.

Then out of the blue, he killed himself. It was very hard to believe.

I don't exactly know why i just shared this, i think it's just how certain drugs can have 'hidden' side effects?

I take prescription meds everyday, sometimes i know i CAN'T live without them, but other times it can be a bit scary...

thank you

G

guest3871

Ativan helps with anxiety for me, except it takes about 2 hours to start working.
(but that is on top of other daily meds too...)
Of course you know that they are addictive, so i try to do without if i can.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
True story.

Guy was living here in the mountains... doc changed the strength of his prescription.

He gets a call from his buddy who works in real estate. His house sold and he's coming over with the details.

Shortly after that 911 gets a call.

"Uh, yeah. This is -----, I'm at ----- address. I've just shot my best friend and I don't know why. I really don't think I can handle this and I think I'm going to shoot myself."

Officers responded to a scene with the gut shot friend, dead on the porch, and the 911 caller inside with his head blown off. Suicide.

The news reports never mentioned the meds side of it.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

demasoni

How ironic.
Bet it was benzos in that new story. Since making this thread then going on the benz I skirtted a similiar situation myself.
Been dealing with this fucking anti depressant discnt syndrm 5 months now, some improvement, some worsening. I can tell you the benzos can turn you into a cold blooded suicidal killer quite easily.
Never looked down the barrel, especially with one chambered, until now. Yes I'm seeing doctors about this. Every fucking day, had countless prescriptions thrown at me. Many of which I thankfully questioned the dr on and brought up my symptoms only to find "oh shit ok you shouldnt take them thats good to know". I might not be typing this had I not done the doctors work.
These same doctors claim no knowledge of discontinuation syndrome syndrome. At most they claim it last absolutely no longer than two weeks. bull shit, theyre flat out lying or severely/unacceptable misinformed. I'm tired of this hell.

For your info big pharma pays doctors, known as "wine and dine" through lavish dinners, all expense paid cruises/vacations, and bonuses for pushing these drugs on people who otherwise very well don't need them. Fuck you, its about their money. They have entire conventions.
Local faux news even uncovered one convention where some of the leading manufacturers of drugs ( drugs frequently mentioned on these forums), were telling doctors at their conventions "you WILL make lots and lots of money off these drugs, just wait and see". Pharma execs, reps, and doctors all in a circle jerk poppin campaign over your decline. Its the real deal folks.
To top it off theres a thing called ghost writing, look it up. "reports" on the safety, effectiveness etc of the drug are entirely fabricated by outside "scientific research" (LOL) entities, who are paid for said ghost writing, and provide this "research" to pharma reps who go from practice to practice pushing their drug on doctors who push them on patients. Doctors are compensated by # of scripts issued to patients. Again forget you, its about the money and their society. Its engulfed in secrecy and exploitation. Like I said I've trusted doctor after doctor, then done their job many times in saving their asses from a malpractice lawsuit by prevent a medication from being prescribed that could have killed me given my present condition. They simply overlooked the medical details of my case thinking about the $$ or w/e the fuck was in their dead brains. Ironically, all this period of hell is WITHOUT MMJ, what a fucking coincidence.

Aside from completely disrupted nervous, endocrine systems, neurotransmitters etc, theres an equally if not more annoying symptom;
Hyperactive immune system, EVERYTHING irritating my skin/throat. Can't even find a clothing detergent or dryer sheet that doesnt leave my clothing coated with a a slick residue my skin reacts to. Additionally I know this is also a result from manufacturing/formula changes of these main stream products.
So in pursuit if SOME relief,
Any advice on where and what to get for clothing detergent that leaves your clothes actually clean and basically odorless? NOT coated with some slippery residue that comes off on my fingers fresh out of the dryer leaving my skin itching and eyes and throat burning? that would be great. From what I've observed your good old unilever (tide, all etc) type brands just get worse and worse about this. Coupled with my hyperactive immune I'm screwed on washing clothes. Please help me find an alternative, it all ties into my current situation.
See, I'm fighting it on two fronts. Unmistakeable mainstream product changes PLUS weakened immune system/increase sensitivity to chemicals.
This all sounds crazy but in reality it all links back to discontinuation syndrome, my bodies/minds inability to properly function on the most basic levels; that means a normal immune system that isnt going haywire, or a stress system that isn't attacking itself through 24/7 hypervigilliance.
If I had a reasonable load out plus well trained team, unit or platoon I'd prefer being shot at for a year straight, please and thank you. Fuck big pharma with a telephone pole.

All input from you guys is highly valued, especially for laundry deterg suggestions at this point (lol i know). Would I post that here normaly? no, but I'm at the fucking end of my sanity and new idiotized programming of search engines doesn't help my delimma, theyre a bunch of information manipulating google assimilated scum. I can't express enough how helpful this thread has been so far, so pleaese, bear with me and don't hesitate to provide input. especially about some simple laundry detergent. wow, sad it comes to that, but every little relief is a step forward.
love you guys.

S

SeaMaiden

Demasoni, I'm so sorry you're going through all this shit. Oddly enough, for the past two weeks SOMETHING has been making me itch, mostly on my forearms and lower legs. Can't figure it out.

I've been having... 'female' issues, went to a doctor. She offered me--along with the very same synthetic hormones I told her I specifically DON'T want--PROZAC.

Yep. An SSRI for menopausal symptoms, *instead* of trying to balance the lady's hormones, which is what's really needed here.

I'm fortunate, having been brought up by a doctor and a dietitian, I'm quite familiar with the health profession. That means I'm pretty well equipped to deal with the most recalcitrant of doctors. This gal damn near shut me down, and she lied to me to boot.

As for the laundry, I didn't pay much attention to the stuff they had at the health food store. However, a couple of years ago I was looking into soap nuts. They're a nut from a tree, the soap tree, that apparently I can grow easily in my zone and soil IF I could find a soap tree to grow. You can buy the nuts online.

http://www.soapnuts.pro/about-soap-nuts-pro/

http://naturoli.com/

The rest of these are discussing how to make your own (natural..?) laundry detergent.

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/

http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-laundry-detergent-soap/

B

BrnCow

Tried Borax for soap? Vinegar? Drop the dryer sheets...make sure washer is not overloaded...maybe another rinse cycle with no additives...Amway has some laundry powder that is supposed to be additive free...expensive but that the hell...use just a 1/4 cup or something like that. ..they also have something called LOC. The one with less detergent in it might work...it's a wetting agent and can be used with soap to reduce the amount you have to use. Sprayed diluted will make plants use less water...use a couple of drops or as directed...vinegar can clean washer and dishwasher supposedly of soap residue...cup to a load of water only...

drum_halfzware

1) Taper psychotropic medications. Abrupt cessation typically results in a rebound effect.

2) Investigate the endogenous cannabinoid system's involvement in brain function. The endogenous cannabinoid system is highly integrated in controlling multiple areas of the brain, their behavioral output, and the organism in general.

3) There are more CB1 receptors in the brain than all the dopamine, noradrenaline and
serotonin receptors combined and ten times more than opioid receptors (Joy et al, 1999).

4) References for validity of cannabinoids/Cannabis to treat disorders of the mood

Ashton, CH. et al. (2005). Cannabinoids in bipolar affective disorder: a review and discussion of their therapeutic potential. Journal of Psychopharmacology. 19(3): 293-300

Ashton, CH. and Moore, PB. (2011) Endocannabinoid signaling dysfunction in mood and related disorders. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2011 124(4):250-61.

Bambico, FR., et al. (2009). Endocannabinoids in the Treatment of Mood Disorders: Evidence from Animal Models. Current Pharmaceutical Design. 15: 1623-1646

Beyer, CE. et al. (2010) Depression-like phenotype following chronic CB(1) receptor antagonism. Neurobiol Dis. 2010 Apr 7 [Epub ahead of print]

Bhattacharyya S. (2009). Opposite Effects of Delta -9-Tetrahydrocannabibinol and Cannabidiol on Human Brain Function and Psychophathology. Neuropsychopharacology. 2009 Nov 18 [Epub ahead of print]

Crippa, JA. et al. (2007). Anxiolytic effects of cannabidiol. Eurpean Psychiatry. 22: S21

Crippa, JA. et al. (2010). Neural basis of anxiolytic effects of cannabidiol (CBD) in generalized social anxiety disorder: a preliminary report. J Psychopharacol. 2010 Sept 9 [Epub ahead of print]

Crippa, JA. et al. (2010). Therapeutic use of cannabinoids in psychiatry. Rev Bras Psiquiatr. 32: Suppl. 1: S56-66

D’Douza, DC., et al. (2008). Blunted Psychomimetic and Amnestic Effects of Δ-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol in Frequent Users of Cannabis. Neuropsychopharmacology. 33: 2505-2516

Demirakca T. et al. (2010) Diminished gray matter in the hippocampus of cannabis users: Possible protective effects of cannabidiol. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2010 Nov 1 [Epub ahead of print]

El-Alfy, AT. et al. (2010). Antidepressant-like effect of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol and other cannabinoids isolated from Cannabis sativa L. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 95(4): 434-442

Fisar, Z. (2010). Inhibition of monoamine oxidase activity by cannabinoids. Naunyn Schmeidebergs Arch Pharmacol. 381 (6): 563-572

Fusar-Poli, P. et al. (2007). CBD and neural correlates of anxiety. European Psychiatry 22: S21

Garcia-Gutierrez, MS. and Manzanares J. (2010). The cannabinoid Cb1 receptor is involved in the anxiolytic, sedative, and amnesic actions of benzodiazepines. J Psychopharmacol. 24(5): 757-765

Gruber, AJ. et al. (1996). Do patients use marijuana as an antidepressant? Depression. 4: 77-80

Hart, CL. et al. (2010). Neurophysiological and cognitive effects of smoked marijuana in frequent users. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 96(3): 333-341

Hill, MN. and Goralka BB. (2009). The endocannabinoid system and the treatment of mood and anxiety disorders. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 8(6): 451-458

Hill MN. and Gorzalka BB. (2009). Impairments in Endocannabinoid Signaling and Depressive Illness. JAMA 301 (11): 1165-1166

Jones, NA. et al. (2009). Cannabidiol displays anti-epileptiform and anti-seizure properties in vitro and in vivo. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009 Nov 11 [Epub ahead of print]

Joy JE, Watson SJ, Benson JA eds. Marijuana and medicine. Washington, DC, USA: National Academy Press, 1999

Karschner, EL. et al. (2011). Subjective and physiological effects after controlled Sativex and oral THC administration. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 89 (3): 400-407

Leweke, FM. et al. (2007). Cannabidiol as an antipsychotic agent. European Psychiatry 22: S21

Liang, C. et al. (2009). A population-based case-control study of marijuana use and head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Prev Res. 2 (8): 759-768

Long, LE. et al. (2006). Cannabidiol Reverses MK-801-Induced Disruption of Prepulse inhibition in Mice. Neuropsychopharmacology. 31: 795-803

Mechoulam, R. et al. (2002). Cannabidiol: an overview of some pharmacological aspects. J Clin Pharmacol. 42 (11 Suppl): 11S-19S

Monteleone, P et al. (2010). Investigation of CNR1 and FAAH endocannabinoid gene polymorphisms in bipolar disorder and major depression. Pharmacological Research 61: 400-404.

Moreira, FA and Guimaraes, FS. (2005). Cannabidiol inhibits the hyperlocomotion induced by psychtomimetic drugs in mice. Eur J Pharmacol. 512 (2-3): 199-205

Parolano D. et al. (2010). The endocannabinoid system and psychiatric disorders. Exp Neurol. 2010 Mar 27 [Epub ahead of print]

Patel, S. and Hillar CJ. (2009). Role of endocannabinoid signaling in anxiety and depression. Curr Top Behav Neurosci. 1: 347-71

Ramaekers, JG. et al. (2009) Neurocognitive performance during acute THC intoxication in heavy and occasional cannabis users. Journal of Psychopharmacology. 23 (3): 266-277

Ringen, PA. et al. (2010). Opposite relationships between cannabis use and neurocognitive functioning in biplar disorder and schizophrenia. Psychol Med. 40 (8): 1337-47

Schwarcz, G. et al. (2009). Synthetic Δ-9-Tetrahydocannabinol (Dronabinol) Can Improve the Symptoms of Schizophrenia. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology. 29 (3): 255-258

Secher, A. et al. (2010). Risperidone treatment increases CB1 receptor binding in rat brain. Neuroendocrinology. 91 (2): 155-168

Spano, MS. et al. (2009). Cannabinoid self-adminstration attenuates PCP-induced schizophrenia-like symptoms in adult rats. Eur Neuropscyhopharmacol. 2009 Oct 22 [Epub ahead of print]

Theunissen, E. et al. (2012) Neurophysiological functioning in occasional and heavy cannabis users during acute THC intoxication. Psychopharmacology. 220: 341-350

Van Dam, NT and Earleywine, M. (2010). Pulmonary function in cannabis users: Support for a clinical trial of the vaporizer. Int J Drug Policy. 2010 May 5 [Epub ahead of print]

Whyle, DA. et al. (2010) Cannabinoids Inhibit Cellular Respiration of Human Oral Cancer Cells. Pharmacology. 85 (6): 328-335

Young, AH. Cannabinoinds in Bipolar Affective Disorder. In: ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet] Bethesda, MD: Nation Library of Medicine (US). 2006-2012. Available from: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00397605?term=bipolar+AND+cannabinoids&rank=1 Identifier: NCT00397605

Zanelati, TV. et al. Anitdepressant-like effects of cannabidiol in mice: possible involvement of 5-HT1A receptors. Br J Pharmacol. 159 (1): 122-128

Zuardi, AW. et al. (1995) Antipsychotic Effect of Cannabidiol. J Clin Psychiatry. 56:485-486

Zuardi, AW. et al. (2006) Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an antipsychotic drug. Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research. 39: 421-429

Zuardi, AW. et al. (2006) Cannabidiol monotherapy for treatment-resistant schizophrenia. J Psychopharmacology. 20(5): 683-686

Zuardi A. et al. (2010.) Cannabidiol was ineffective for manic episode of bipolar affective disorder. J Psychopharmacol. 24(1):135-137. ***Limitations: N=2, both pts were female.

Zuardi, AW. et al. (1991). Effects of cannabidiol in animal models predictive of antipsychotic activity. Psychopharmacology. 104 (2): 260-264

Note: This list is the work of only one. There is, most probably, additional peer reviewed literature missing from this set of references. Additionally, this list is not publication ready but it provides a starting point for understanding.

Latest posts

Latest posts