What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Premium nutrients - Real deal or hype???

chomsky

"Boy, was I wrong. Using Jack's, Calnit, and RO, I get a mix that is spot on every time, no pH adjustment needed, no pricey additives, and I have consistently better results. Nicer buds, and my plants are healthier and sturdier. Less leaf drop, less staking required. My nute bill dropped from around $1000 per year to around $100. The stuff is dry, so no worries about premix nutes separating, and much easier handling.

Can you hit me up with a link to Jack's and calnit and that system of nutrients? I've never really heard of it and I'm very interested in looking into it.

Thanks bro

steve52

you said...

"My bill for nutes is 10% of what it was" - this hints at overfeeding.

"I have healthier plants" (with your current nutrients) says you had feeding problems.

"no pH issues whatsoever, and get better yield". (with current nutrients) tells me you had the problems before. The ph issue that connects overfeeding is ph dropping.

Good luck anyway, glad you found what works for you. Peace.

LOL... some people read what they want to, I guess... fyi I have never had an issue with pH dropping, ever. I guess I must not overfeed, according to you. Nice to know.

My nute bill is a fraction of what it was because grow shop nutes are insanely overpriced.

Spaventa

Veteran
LOL... some people read what they want to, I guess... fyi I have never had an issue with pH dropping, ever. I guess I must not overfeed, according to you. Nice to know.

My nute bill is a fraction of what it was because grow shop nutes are insanely overpriced.

So what was the ph problem on liquid cannabis specific nutrients? Why did it go away when you switched to basic ferts? if you had no ph issues on these nutes why mention you don't have any on basic ferts?
You said your plants are healthier now so how were the liquid nutrients hurting them?

packerfan79

Veteran
You can use high dollar nutes, sure tgey work, but you are just paying for water, plastic bottles and pretty labels.oh and a massive marketing campaign. I bet the marketing department is bigger than the research and development department. Advanced is great about breaking nutes down into 20 bottles in dead of 3 or 4.

Absolem

Could a person who has been spending $1000.00 on nutrients simply switch brands and only spend $100 instead? Lets take a look.

A 25lb bag of Jack Hydroponics 5-26-12 costs around $65.00. And a 25lb bag Jack's Calcium Nitrate is around $75.00. People who use Jacks generally add 2.5 grams of Jacks to a gallon and 2.5 grams of Calcium Nitrate to a gallon to achieve desired EC.

If we take 25 lb and times it by 448 grams we can find out how many grams are in a 25lb bag.
25x448=11,200.00 grams.
Next we divide 11,200.00 by 2.5 grams.
11,200.00/2.5 grams= 4480 gallons of stock tank solution.
Now we divide the cost of Jacks by 4480 to give us the cost to create a gallon of stock tank solution.
$150.00/4480=.0334
So Jacks will cost .0334 cents a gallon to fill your stock tank.

Let's take a look at GH. We'll use the 3 part series. Flora Micro, Flora Grow, and Flora Bloom. Let's use these bottles at a rate of 5ml to gallon. The cost from this will be real comparable to H3ad's 6/9 ratio. The cost of the GH Flora series for all three is about $100.00.
Since there is 3800mls to gallon we divide
3800mls/5mls=760 gallons of stock tank solution made from the GH Flora Series. To figure out nutrient cost per gallon of stock tank solution we divide the cost of the GH with 760 gallons.
$100/760=.131 cents per gallon of stock tank solution.

Now lets look at Canna or House and Garden. These companies run a user on the cheap about .30 cents a gallon of stock tank solution. The higher end of these fertilizers to be a "Expert Grower" can cost a person up to .50 cents a gallon for stock tank solution.

Looking at these numbers Jacks will save consumers large sums of money. Will it be enough as a poster stated?

For every $1 spent on Jacks to create a their stock tank solution a GH user will spend $8.00. Compared to Jacks a person using Canna or House and Garden will spend $20.00 on nutes for every $1.00 a person spends on Jacks.

By these numbers it's clear you can spend $100.00 on Nutrients instead of $1000.00. By doing nothing more then switching brands.

If you look at the back of a bottle of Canna A you will find these ingredients listed. Calcium Nitrate, Potassium Nitrate, and Iron. And for Canna B you will find ingredients listed like mono-potassium phosphate, magnesium nitrate, and magnesium sulfate. These are nothing more then basic plant nutrients.

. For the record, Ive been growing for over 20 years but Ive only had great success with these nutrients.

I'm curious why you didn't find success growing all those years with basic plant nutrition in a bottle compared to that of another bottle? pH problems, lockout. too hot? How could Yara Calcium Nitrate put in one bottle of liquid fertilizer not work but when Canna slaps a label on it people find success?

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
I'm curious why you didn't find success growing all those years with basic plant nutrition

You must be thinking of someone else, or be missing the point because Ive only used premium quality cannabis specific nutrients for growing premium quality cannabis and had nothing but great success

Chemdawggy Dawg

Jack's is the best nutrients. I like to keep some maxibloom on hand. Sometimes I use it instead or in collaboration. They are both great.

hazyfontazy

Veteran
if u have the room setup with a 600 and buy the full canna line up minus the boost and cannazyme it works out really cheap to produce a room full of fruit ,,no point fucking about really ,,100 bucks and you got 20 oz minimum ,,so im told :) buy the shogun boost instead :)

packerfan79

Veteran
if u have the room setup with a 600 and buy the full canna line up minus the boost and cannazyme it works out really cheap to produce a room full of fruit ,,no point fucking about really ,,100 bucks and you got 20 oz minimum ,,so im told :) buy the shogun boost instead :)

That's not really that cheap, I spent 450 on my last 4k grow using canna coco a b and pk13/14. Switched to Veg and Bloom for this round costs me 160 and the frost is way thicker

Earlmarne

I've found a few alternatives to expensive supplements.
I get soluble maxicrop, works for foliar, seedling feed and soak and addition to reservoir on occasion. It's like 15 for a bag. Last bag lasted me like 4 months.
Teas are amazing. I've has root problems due to my experiments in the past.
I get me a bag of worm castings that's like 20 some odd bucks, use a couple handfuls in a 5 gallon bucket with a touch of maxicrop, molasses, anduring a pinch of myco( get a big bag for 20 bucks from the hydro store) before I use it. Makes an amazing root stimulant.
Also started using alfalfa in teas, was getting meal but am going to pick up a bag of alfalfa pellet feed to use in teas.
With just a little work I believe we can deliver superior care for our girls at a fraction of the cost of the labeled stuff.
I've yet to really dial my set up in. I do believe though with saving funds on nutrients I can spend more on environmental factors. And in my experience ( minimal) I believe there is more improvement to be had with humidity, airflow, exchange, temperature, and lighting than in a bottle

steve52

So what was the ph problem on liquid cannabis specific nutrients? Why did it go away when you switched to basic ferts? if you had no ph issues on these nutes why mention you don't have any on basic ferts?
You said your plants are healthier now so how were the liquid nutrients hurting them?

The problem was having to adjust the pH when mixing a fresh batch. Jack's/calnit in RO is 5.8 with no adjustment, and it's more stable. I get sturdier plants and less leaf drop. They look better. As someone else mentioned in this thread, all mineral salts are not equal. There's also the fact that calcium nitrate and potassium nitrate are the nitrogen sources in the Jack's/calnit formula. No urea or ammonium nitrate. With premixed liquid, there's also the question of the quality of the water used in the manufacturing process.

You seem intent on finding some way to tell me I'm wrong about the results I'm getting. Why? Are you that invested in not being wrong about the overpriced products sold to marijuana growers? I used the stuff for years, because I thought there were no alternatives. I was wrong, and I will never go back. Anyone who continues to spend 8-10 times more than they need to on nutes, is simply falling for slick advertising and questionable claims. Remember, I'm not saying liquid cannabis ferts don't work. They do, they just cost way too much. And as I mentioned, I think Jack's is made with better quality ingredients.

Others have posted links to the relevant threads here, which will answer all your questions. I highly recommend them.

oti$

I was a compulsive bottle buyer when I started. Remember bloombastic? I thought that stuff was the shit. I used the house and garden full line with great results. I tried many brands , formulas, recipes, 6/9, canna , Humboldt nutes...etc etc...I eventually started dropping bottles from the h&g line until I easy down to just a&b fed @1.2 ec and my quality and yield steadily increased( I am certain a lot had to do with experience gained and knowledge and control if environment honed). I rolled with h&g a&b @ 1.2 or 6/9 @1.2 for years and killed it. I finally took the plunge and ordered jack's hydro+calcnit and I will never use anything else. Ph is spot on for coco with my tap(which is excellent with almost no ec) I feed at 1.2 ec and my plants love the stuff. I was taken by the snake oil salesman for longer than I'd like to admit. I've been feeding three houses with the same 50 lbs of jack's for, I think almost a year and still have most of it. If anyone tries it they never look back. I urge anyone to try a small bag of calcnit and professional(hydro?) Feed at 1.2ish ec unless they look like the need a bit more, do a side by side with whatever and see what all the jack's fan boys have found out. It's the shit. Hands down, value, quality, ease of use. It can't be beat. Try it and stop working about all those bottles and schedules and spend the time wasted on that shit fine tuning your environment, getting your watts per sqft up to or close to 50 watts and collect quality genetics. Jack's changed my game and I'll never ever buy another bottle. Jack's FTW!

oti$

Thin mint Cookies fed jacks+calcnit @1.2
picture.php
picture.php

OFP j+c 1.2
picture.php

Sour dubble
picture.php

Another thin mint
picture.php

All low yielding strains. No additives. 7-14 day flush.
Top shelf.

Spaventa

Veteran
You seem intent on finding some way to tell me I'm wrong about the results I'm getting.

Your results are what they are. You had problems with premium nutrients that went away when you switched.
This doesn't prove premium nutrients are a scam as there are far more accounts of people like me who have had great success with premium quality cannabis specific nutrients. One persons bad experience doesn't outweigh the good experiences had by the majority of users.

Latest posts

Latest posts