What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pre98 Bubba Kush & Katsu's Bubba Kush Comparison Thread

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
Only think I can tell is it sounds like the Bubba I grew when you describe the slow veg, and the bud structure looks similar. But mine did not stretch like that indoors or out. It stayed a short bushy type plant. Starts off with the lemony funk, progresses to a chocolaty gas smell and finishes out smelling like coffee beans soaked in lemon gasoline. Buds closest to the top start turning purple around day 60, needs like 70+ days to finish proper even though looks done at 57.

Unk_OG

Thanks!

Thanks!

Only think I can tell is it sounds like the Bubba I grew when you describe the slow veg, and the bud structure looks similar. But mine did not stretch like that indoors or out. It stayed a short bushy type plant. Starts off with the lemony funk, progresses to a chocolaty gas smell and finishes out smelling like coffee beans soaked in lemon gasoline. Buds closest to the top start turning purple around day 60, needs like 70+ days to finish proper even though looks done at 57.

What cut did you have?

The weird stretch is my fault and the switch from the T5 back to a 600 in veg, and forgetting to lower it! I had spinal cord/neck surgery in June, LOTS of therapy. 6 years before a good Doc figured out what was wrong with me. Wasn’t on my game topping wise or anything else for that matter, lol. I really shouldn’t of started growing quite so soon again but I was going crazy. My point, not my best looking plants. They smell of citrus/lemon funk now which I thought was wrong after hearing “coffee” so often. I plan on 70 days. Next run no topping? 18” and flip? Thanks so much for your input! I really do appreciate it!

Last edited:

Booyah!

I'm guessing that is the Katsu? Heard batches are hitting 30% in Michigan. I remember getting phenomenal batches of Bubba that would have me bike riding and eating. That was about a decade ago. I always assumed it was the Pre 98 but looking back it seems to fit the Katsu description a bit better.

Unk_OG

I'm guessing that is the Katsu? Heard batches are hitting 30% in Michigan. I remember getting phenomenal batches of Bubba that would have me bike riding and eating. That was about a decade ago. I always assumed it was the Pre 98 but looking back it seems to fit the Katsu description a bit better.

Bike riding and eating, hahahahaha! Interesting, thanks for the info. The real test will be the smoke of course. 30% huh? I’ll get this tested when it’s done. Nice talking to ya!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So this is a Bubba cut I have from a friend. He’s had it for a few years, got it from a buddy of his. Opinions? Wondering what everyone thinks. Pre98, S1, something else? Lol.

It looks quite like the pe-98, but the leaves look a bit small and the buds look to have more leaves than i would expect. The pre-98 can stretch quite a bit in some circumstances.

Hard to get a definitive ID but if it is a good bubba you should enjoy the smell and taste!

GL
VG

Unk_OG

Thanks

Thanks

It looks quite like the pe-98, but the leaves look a bit small and the buds look to have more leaves than i would expect. The pre-98 can stretch quite a bit in some circumstances.

Hard to get a definitive ID but if it is a good bubba you should enjoy the smell and taste!

GL
VG

Thanks for taking a look! Yeah I know pics, especially lights on pics, aren’t the best. I had just pruned a bunch of big leaves a few days prior to the pics. Again, these are not my best work, shape wise. They are looking pretty good for the middle of week 6, for my room anyway, lol. Only been at this for 3 years. I can’t wait to try it! Thanks again!

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
What cut did you have?

The weird stretch is my fault and the switch from the T5 back to a 600 in veg, and forgetting to lower it! I had spinal cord/neck surgery in June, LOTS of therapy. 6 years before a good Doc figured out what was wrong with me. Wasn’t on my game topping wise or anything else for that matter, lol. I really shouldn’t of started growing quite so soon again but I was going crazy. My point, not my best looking plants. They smell of citrus/lemon funk now which I thought was wrong after hearing “coffee” so often. I plan on 70 days. Next run no topping? 18” and flip? Thanks so much for your input! I really do appreciate it!

pre-98 i got it from a guy who is well know here so i have no reason to doubt its legitimacy. it hit all the marks on what i was told p98 would be like.

picture.php

picture.php

outdoors in the florida sun. i put it out there in like march as a rooted cutting, transplanted to this 3 gallons of dirt in a 5 gallon bucket like june or something after it started flowering and then reveg. (first time outdoors in fl lol) then in october or so it rained a bunch and hurricaned a couple times and don't get me started on the bugs. anyway still didn't stretch like yours. i think you might have katsu. cuz this p98 was very slow veg. like hella. i've said it a buncha times in several places. nice plant that's got the strongest smoke i ever had. but sooooo slow in veg.

Unk_OG

pre-98 i got it from a guy who is well know here so i have no reason to doubt its legitimacy. it hit all the marks on what i was told p98 would be like.

View Image

View Image

outdoors in the florida sun. i put it out there in like march as a rooted cutting, transplanted to this 3 gallons of dirt in a 5 gallon bucket like june or something after it started flowering and then reveg. (first time outdoors in fl lol) then in october or so it rained a bunch and hurricaned a couple times and don't get me started on the bugs. anyway still didn't stretch like yours. i think you might have katsu. cuz this p98 was very slow veg. like hella. i've said it a buncha times in several places. nice plant that's got the strongest smoke i ever had. but sooooo slow in veg.

Thanks. I said in my original post that it was agonizingly slow in Veg and explained the goofy stretch. It also only throws three leaves until I get it into flower. They would get to be about 6 inches tall in a red cup, then pretty much just stop growing. It seems like the only time they grew was when they got up potted.

Last edited:

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
VG’s Pre-98 S1:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Hey Unk_OG,

I can’t speak to whether yours is legit or not. But as VG mentioned some do stretch. As you can see, I found such a pheno. And she also exhibited the need to be potted up to continue growing, as you are reporting. She wasn’t particularly slow growing, nor was she full of vigor, but she grew slow and steady, was topped a couple times, and with a couple extra weeks of veg, produced just over 3oz in 5g of soil. Really really nice smoke - much better than expected, a pleasant surprise all around. I am now a fan.

Unk_OG

Thanks

Thanks

VG’s Pre-98 S1:

View Image View Image View Image View Image View Image

Hey Unk_OG,

I can’t speak to whether yours is legit or not. But as VG mentioned some do stretch. As you can see, I found such a pheno. And she also exhibited the need to be potted up to continue growing, as you are reporting. She wasn’t particularly slow growing, nor was she full of vigor, but she grew slow and steady, was topped a couple times, and with a couple extra weeks of veg, produced just over 3oz in 5g of soil. Really really nice smoke - much better than expected, a pleasant surprise all around. I am now a fan.

I have to say those look more like mine. I just hope it’s good smoke! Thanks for your info!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Only think I can tell is it sounds like the Bubba I grew when you describe the slow veg.

i grew some of VG's bubba... slow growing...ha... it grew as fast as a snail ... VG said its a slow grower... ha... every plant we grew was a runt...

not tobe negative, maybe it was grower error....ha

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i grew some of VG's bubba... slow growing...ha... it grew as fast as a snail ... VG said its a slow grower... ha... every plant we grew was a runt...

not tobe negative, maybe it was grower error....ha

Bubba is widely regarded as slow growing, and S1s are unlikely to be any faster, but, having grown it many many times, i have found that the bubbas can grow quite well if given good soil and plenty of root space with timely up-potting.
Also better to LST rather than top, and don't trim the leaves very much, if at all.
If you have a separate veg area, and tweak your timetables to give bubba a bit of extra veg time, it shouldn't hold you back - and imo the quality of the smoke makes it worth growing.

But then again i'm bound to say that, it's my favorite smoke pretty much! :tiphat:

VG

p.s. i'm hoping to announce some Katsu bubba S1s and a fem cross of the pre-98 x katsu cuts. there are defo some seeds in the buds - i just hope there are enough to send some packs to the bay. This is the third attempt!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Bubba is widely regarded as slow growing, and S1s are unlikely to be any faster, but, having grown it many many times, i have found that the bubbas can grow quite well if given good soil and plenty of root space with timely up-potting.
Also better to LST rather than top, and don't trim the leaves very much, if at all.
If you have a separate veg area, and tweak your timetables to give bubba a bit of extra veg time, it shouldn't hold you back - and imo the quality of the smoke makes it worth growing.
But then again i'm bound to say that, it's my favorite smoke pretty much! :tiphat:
!

shit VG... with all the positive reviews, u r making me buy another pack when available... peace:tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
shit VG... with all the positive reviews, u r making me buy another pack when available... peace:tiphat:

I hope you are happier with them this time round!

Its always been one of those 'matters of opinion' - some growers think that bubba is not worth the lack of vigor, and others love its taste and effects so much they put up with the lack of vigor and try to squeeze as much as they can out of it.

also, I'm hoping that the pre-98 x katsu fem cross might show a little more vigor than the straight S1s

VG

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
I hope you are happier with them this time round!

Its always been one of those 'matters of opinion' - some growers think that bubba is not worth the lack of vigor, and others love its taste and effects so much they put up with the lack of vigor and try to squeeze as much as they can out of it.

also, I'm hoping that the pre-98 x katsu fem cross might show a little more vigor than the straight S1s

VG

I don't mind the veg. Nothing tastes like pre98 bubba. So delicious it's worth the wait.

Unk_OG

i have found that the bubbas can grow quite well if given good soil and plenty of root space with timely up-potting.

These didn’t get that, I was recovering from surgery. These got topped, then pretty much ignored for almost 6 weeks in a 1 gal pot. Looks like a set of rabbit ear TV antennas! Hahahahaha! I started way to early after surgery.

Real good info here. Seemed like topping them really slowed them down.

If you have a separate veg area, and tweak your timetables to give bubba a bit of extra veg time, it shouldn't hold you back

More good info. I do have a separate veg room so that is the plan for the next run.

Thanks for all the tips! Whatever bubba cut this is, all this info, from everyone that replied, seems to be relevant to the plant I’m working with. So, thanks to you all.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I have a Pre 98 Bubba Kush in flower now. Some branches that have lower light do Stretch a bit like in your picture, The same plant with a branch in higher light dont stretch as much on that branch.

Here is a bud at day 61 of flower.

This is day 51 of flower.

This is day 39 of flower.

R

Rab.C

i would love some pre98 bubba kush but i could only get
bubba island kush and purple afghan kush both pre 98 crosses
dont no if they will help with sleep but worth a try