Pre98 Bubba Kush & Katsu's Bubba Kush Comparison Thread

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow that looks resinous HZ!

so, i recently got gifted the Katsu cut (big thanks to the clone fairy ! ) not had a chance to run it properly yet but flowered out a tiny plant to test it out.
it probably needs a couple of weeks in the jar still, but my first impressions of the buds and the smell/smoke were that it is MUCH closer to my pre-98 cut than i expected.
it seems to have the same terpenes present, just in slightly different ratios, although it is definitely different. i would say the katsu smells a little less strongly than the pr-98 but the taste is maybe a little stronger - absolutely delicious. it has that divine incense/horseradish thing when exhaled through the nose.

growth wise the katsu has a better bud structure and i would have thought would yield better, and it roots a little quicker.
smell wise i think the katsu is a bit more musky/leathery then the pre-98 but i didnt detect any floral on the katsu as i was expecting.

hopefully i will do a side by side of the two cuts shortly.

but very happy to have another bubba cut!

VG

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Had that damn Pre98 BK and lost it. Nothing has compared to that taste since. Awesome flavor IMO.

I had previously 98 as a ground score. Seems to be very flowery but uptight as far as nugs.

Maybe a little more co2 will help it even out.

No mutants, just a nice smoke.

:yummy:

Co2 the for three weeks in vegetation and on the 4th week send the oxygen there way for a burp in the fluctuation of chlorophyll to weed out the flowery bag appeal that you get say from a bb cross.:peacock:

toohighmf

Veteran
Ok, so reading this and viewing the pics has me rolling (laughing my ass off on the floor).
I grew pre '98 bubba almost exclusively for a decade+ and I've had the plants stretch, cola, chunk, flathead, purple, trich. Fat stems, skinny stems, finish at 2' and 4'.
It's all been from various enviro based on how well I maintained it.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 63

Mudraya

Ok, so reading this and viewing the pics has me rolling (laughing my ass off on the floor).
I grew pre '98 bubba almost exclusively for a decade+ and I've had the plants stretch, cola, chunk, flathead, purple, trich. Fat stems, skinny stems, finish at 2' and 4'.

Completely agree. After I got Pure Kush years ago people were claiming it was a hybrid due to it's size, meanwhile off in the corner of the same grow, in the weakest light there were a few branches with that "classic" PK look lol.

mack 10

Veteran
I don't see where I got angry. I'm sorry the truth hurts...it sucks when shit isnt what its advertised to be. We're all victim to it at some point...you can search swerves posts where he even says that the bubba he has is a pre 98 x pre 98 and IGT tells him that that would be an s1!!

i remember those pics from back in the day.
i used to terminator scan those pics for clues to set ups etc.

great looking Bubba, prob some of the bestblooking Bubba ever, maybe igt old pics as good too.

nod to too high from me. as those pics really did
inspire me.
(as did many other grow shows from pre 2000 era)

PDX Dopesmoker

Have you seen any variance with the flavor of the final product based on the peculiarities of any particular grow or is it always just varying degrees of the same Bubba flavor?

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
^^^ frosty!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

p98 under mH and from a like 8 inch clone no pruning cept the little branches at the bottom.

picture.php

picture.php

the second time i used HPS and heavily 'defoiled', and lemme tell ya, the more leaves you pluck they come back like double lol. i used the same size pot and i used the same nutes might have used a bloom booster the second time like during week 6 mimicking someone on youtube lol. but aside from the way it grew different it smelled and tasted the same to me. gasoline and lemony in flower, like coffee and chocolate when drying and like gas/coffee/lemons/cocoa when dry. same effect....smoke a joint...write off the rest of the day....coma...

O.G.#1

Man i miss both the Bubba I got from Katsu and the Bubba I got from Oregon kids friend KushJunky.....both were bomb and so sad to lose, man i miss growing so bad

toohighmf

Veteran
Have you seen any variance with the flavor of the final product based on the peculiarities of any particular grow or is it always just varying degrees of the same Bubba flavor?

I’ve had katsu, swerves pre-98, ngkb, kabers etc and aside from structure I found very little difference in bouquet or flavor. I can say that I’ve also mixed em all up several times and 1 of these phenos or cuts has a very musky “swampy” flavor/bouquet (in a good way) where the others lean way more towards the coffee, earthy, hashy flavor we all love. I’ve made em all purple up and I’ve made em all cola, and the minute you top em a few times they get pretty ugly. I found vegging 3 weeks and leaving single colas with a good lollypopping ie 4-6 secondaries gave me my favorite results. All were total fert pigs. I’ve (accidentally) fed over 2000ppm without a single sign of overfert or tip burn.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive had the katsu a while now and the pre-98 for a long time.
I agree with toohigh that there is little difference.

The katsu probably goes a week longer - 9/10, has bigger calyxes and longer, more pointy nugs. If anything it may be a tad more potent than the pre-98.... perhaps a little more 'creamy' smelling

The pre-98 i would say is a bit better tasting, but both taste great. it has more gold ball nugs, goes 8-9 and smells similar but imo smells more strongly than the katsu.

for me the pre-98 just shades it, but both are amazing, and i would be hard pushed to tell them apart from smell and taste.

VG

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I will be running a pack of Verdants bubba with a pack of Karma beezlebubba. Hoping for a new mom or so and I would like to find a terpy dad also.

I might start those today.

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
I will be running a pack of Verdants bubba with a pack of Karma beezlebubba. Hoping for a new mom or so and I would like to find a terpy dad also.

I might start those today.

Do it! Verdant Greens pre98 bubba s1...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pre98 bubba

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2018-12-11 13.27.20.jpg
    2018-12-11 13.27.20.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 2018-12-11 13.27.53.jpg
    2018-12-11 13.27.53.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 2018-12-10 15.02.00.jpg
    2018-12-10 15.02.00.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 2018-12-10 15.02.23.jpg
    2018-12-10 15.02.23.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 45

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Pre98 >>> Katsu

I notice a big difference.
Definitely sister, but quite different.

Pre98 has better flavor, better effects. And I like her bud structure better.

Unk_OG

So, whadda ya guys think?

So, whadda ya guys think?

So this is a Bubba cut I have from a friend. He’s had it for a few years, got it from a buddy of his. Opinions? Wondering what everyone thinks. Pre98, S1, something else? Lol.

Is painfully slow in veg. Topped once which, I think made things worse. They got a bit stretchy during the transition from an 8 bulb T5 back to my trusty 600 MH. They were the goofiest looking. I basically threw them into flower because I was tired of looking at them in veg, hahahahaha. Next time I will just veg them to about 18 inches without topping before the flip. This is the end of week 5, just smells of funk right now. My Can 66 scrubber is havin’ a hard time.

Once they hit mid week 3 they really started to eat, 5 gal pots/ProMix. They clear the pot every other day. Eats a lot at night! I check all my pots before lights out, these will have a good bit of weight to them. Lights on next morning and you could knock them over they are so light.

Feed at 850-900 ppm (x500) with no burn. May run a small tester one day and see what she will take before burn.
House & Garden Soil
Drip Clean
Roots Exel
Cal-Mag
Canna PK 13/14 (weeks 1-5)
M.O.A.B. (weeks 6-7)
Flush to 100ppm (week 8)
9 maybe 10 weeks

PS, yes they have a couple of old bug bites unfortunately.

Attachments

• 106E5197-A4B7-47B2-90C0-030B916974D3.jpg
    106E5197-A4B7-47B2-90C0-030B916974D3.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 3DCD82C4-D9D4-4A56-8986-68434C2BE39A.jpg
    3DCD82C4-D9D4-4A56-8986-68434C2BE39A.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 39
  • 28316A79-7A60-405B-B8A0-1D05B04B9DBD.jpg
    28316A79-7A60-405B-B8A0-1D05B04B9DBD.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 7EC7769F-5BA7-40C4-BB87-D1A021B67C8C.jpg
    7EC7769F-5BA7-40C4-BB87-D1A021B67C8C.jpg