What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Powdery Mildew Rx for flowering plants?

"never have too much airflow" Isn't it possible to burn/stress your plants from too much airflow? I'm planning on adding some extra fans and they are fairly powerful.

Cleanliness is a good precaution however it's a bitch. Mainly not walking around outside where pm spores are probably present and then walking into the room. Some say clothes change and shower is mandatory.. that's why I play it "safe" with chems, Banner Maxx or Eagle 20. A quality dehumidifier such as a santa fe or drizair is also good.

Sulfur is smart EARLY on, just make sure you don't catch a wiff or you'll be regretting it later as you sit on the toilet.

Maintaining a perfect environment is crucial, but not a 100% fix. My rooms are dialed, Hepa filters, good temps, hunidity below 50%, and last year I got PM for the first time. It was due to late rains, and high disease pressure in the area, Everyone got PM. Vineyards in the area all got it bad.

I went through the late-flowering fight with PM using Zone/Saturator, multiple apps worked and got me through. Now using Eagle-20 in veg, and once again when I flip, PM is a thing of the past.

IMO you can definitely have too much airflow. The plants closest to my fans, the ones that really get blasted, all grow differently, looking like overfed with dried leaves, darker green.

Sparky 6

Right good air flow of course is needed, and yes there is such a thing as too much of a good thing, try lowering humidity if needed. There are threads for inexpensive DIY dehumidifiers, just do a search (or ask here if you cannot find them- I'll try to link them).

Before any big dollars are spent on dehumidifiers or anything though try the Zone/Saturator combo. This worked well for me and now my dehumidifier sits dusty and unused in the corner. I used to panic when I saw PM, not anymore.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aloha

Here's a bump... hahaha

I was going thru this thread last night and thinking about the different ways we battle pm. And like with insects and pests, a good rotation is preferable over a single source remedy.

And as I read I kept coming across mark6699331 posting almost ten years ago, touting the Dutch Master combo of Zone + Pentrator foliar.
I had not ever tried that combo - so i wanted to see if Dutch Master still suggested the pairing...

I first noticed that Penetrator is no longer available, but it has been relabeled as Saturator.... that I should note was posted earlier as well...

I contacted DM for their thoughts and reccomendations and thought I would share the data:

Yes the name of the product was changed to Saturator, and it seems that the application rate may have changed as well. The current rate we recommend is to add 15 mls of Gold Range ZONE with 20 mls of Gold Range SATURATOR to 1 liter or 1 quart of water and spray the problem areas. The 10mL per gal rate for ZONE is specifically for the reservoir or root drench.

15ml/Q Zone + 20ml/Q Saturator... works out to 60ml/G Zone + 80ml/G Saturator

If they spill any further info I will be sure to share....

Aloha

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I contacted Dutch Master and got a few more details on the Zone + Saturator combo...

I inquired about the application window and here's what they shared:

I would say the earlier before harvest the better, but I would say at the latest, two weeks before harvest. And typically I would say foliar feeding is sufficient, dunking can become very messy and is not necessary. The job of the Saturator is to ensure that the Zone gets deep into the plant tissue, and supercharging its ability to get rid of the PM.

For me, especially if its relatively early in flower, I would spray once a week, with the lights on, for three weeks, and the third week is probably overkill. Powdery mildew definitely has its roots in environmental issues, so lowering humidity and temperature can also help slow down its ability to propagate, as well as increasing airflow to the bud sites.

Just some more data to digest

Aloha

brown_thumb

I've read that the state of Washington banned ATAK. Also, the Optic Foliar website has no data on the stuff... doesn't even mention it. Anyone know why?

sdd420

Veteran
Milk as per PBS 1/3 milk to water and spray. It only works on PM

Last edited:

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
I second the milk remedy option--my post in a different thread:

Try spraying with milk and water, particularly non-homogenized milk (aka raw milk). From personal experience, you can do this up to a week or so from harvest WITHOUT harming the buds.

For a wealth of info about using milk to fight PM, google this search term: site:icmag.com "milk" "mildew"

Start off with a milk:water ratio of 50/50 and foliar spray until leaves are dripping (be sure to get the under leaves). Repeat every other day and reduce the milk concentration for each application until you get to 10/90 (maintenance).

Here is a study that shows milk applications were superior to certain chemical fungicides http://www.agrar.de/agenda/bettiol.htm

Good luck!

brown_thumb

I've read that milk is effective at treating PM but I'm worried about it getting into the buds and turning rancid. Even if it doesn't spoil I worry that collective amounts will affect the smoke and/or the flavor of extracts. Is this a nonconcern?