What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Potency, what is considered potent weed today?

negative37dBA

Veteran
The GG4 clone only I grow for me is "potent" It's effects come on immediately and very strong. It has a lasting effect. For me these are 3 of parameters that I use.
1. Time to onset of feeling medicated.
2. How much it effects me.
3. How long does it last.
The opinions are wide and varied. Peoples taste and the effect it has on them can vary. Terpenes have much to do with how it effects people.
THC numbers can be indicative of a potent product but some that I have seen are so high it is almost laughable. I have zero trust in numbers. You pretty much have to go to how it makes you feel individually.
Might be slightly off topic but the quality of the medicine is huge!!. What was used during growth can have a big difference on the end product. Any1 ever see any of those white boards on the flower room doors of big ops. You know the ones with all the spray schedules on them....yeah. I don't do that.
Have a sweet day. Peace, negative.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
W. Novak 1980

IMG_20240414_185814.jpg

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Potency for me is indicator how much I need to smoke to feel real high.
Real High 4 me = not craving for more substance thats it.
It mean that your body/mind cravings are full of that supstance that give you high you looking for and just sit and enyoing the ride.

If people don't ask "is this laced" it's not potent. Men won't ask. They just get mad confused at how good it is. Ladies will whisper "is there cocaine in here?"

White market takes the LCD route where the stupidest least informed most mentally unstable placebo population has been deemed the collective hive mind judge. It's ruined every aspect of society, giving useless people their power to vote with their Twitter accounts.

You know the deal. "Gorilla Glue" magically became couch lock (and smells like adhesive) because of the name. But not everyone lives in that false reality. It's still a weak chocolate kerosene sativa, in reality.

When we realized no one in America wanted the pharmaceutical grade weed, we stopped working with Americans. Now we have strains that will replace every medication known to man and no market for them. It all started 30 years ago when we got ahold of a bag of locally grown herb that made my shy girlfriend want to get on stage and give motivational speeches. There is no Party Crasher weed in America but plenty of similar hype names for video game weed.

Weed had seeds back then. Back when strains were pharma grade. Americans did not appreciate the chance they were given to replace their poison pharmaceuticals. They let low iq people decide their future. The population who cannot even register a sativa because they lack the brain function to get any other effect than "loin cloth wearing cannibalistic Indian spirit guru who contributes nothing to society and doesn't wipe his ass".

Baba Karuna

I like haze, anything from Latino America has my attention at least. I live in Thailand now so what I get is mainly different varieties of outdoor Thai that can sometimes flower for a half year. I was just thinking of how I want to travel to the Middle East this morning!

Potency to me is not simply strength of product.

I see it as a combination of strength, duration of onset, and duration of effect. "Potency" to me refers to the combination of these things which together create the experience of effect.

Hope you can keep it up with those landraces! Check out the book: "How Plants are Trained to Work for Man" by Luther Burbank. He writes beautifully about how, through selection and observation, you can learn the entire life history of any variety, you can infer the environmental or artificial factors that led to certain traits being locked in. It's very interesting to use this knowledge when working with landrace varieties as their genetic history is still mainly intact from the beginning to now.
🙌 Luther Burbank's work is incredible 🤩 The chapter on his work in "Autobiography of a Yogi" is also of great value 🙏🏼

“The SECRET of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is LOVE.” - Luther Burbank​

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
It is so hard to define potency to someone else. I guess it would be the plant that posseses the effect I like and I have to smoke the least amount of material to achieve desired effect.

In general..

Sativa (NLD) is potent to me when it's impossible to wipe the smile off my face, or stop freaking out, or jamming to my heartbeat banging off my skull.

Indica is potent to me when I cannot avoid sleep.

Hybrids which is just about everything these days I've always done a half gram bong hit as my baseline and how I compare strains. Real potent varities one bong hit and I'm good for several hours.

To find potency I must grow it myself or aquire it from other good growers. Stores or random people always have bland pretendica.

Baba Karuna

But I’d love to know more about what that cure does for the thc cbd and other cannabinoids. 2-3 months is my go to with the stuff I’ve been cultivating lately.
Anyone have any input on the cure and potency?
Alternative modern curing or drying methods don’t seem to have the same effect
The modern curing methods do not produce the same effect because they have a different focus. Once I realized that fermenting my hearb produced the effects I knew in my youth, I never looked back.

Pressing and fermenting dramatically modify the effects compared to dried and jarred buds. The pressing allows the resin glands to pop and melt together which helps to preserve the herb. Combined with heat to activate the cannabinoids and break down undesirable chemicals such as ammonia and chlorophyll which cause coughing and a harshness on the lungs. When heated, chemicals like this are poisonous, so avoiding them also modifies the experience.

After the pressing and heating, the resting or curing stage should last a minimum of 3 months, this lets the cannabinoids and terpenes mature and bloom. like wine or tobacco, the longer it ages the more complex it becomes. It also has removed the "negative" effects that modern curing caused me. Things like head pressure/aches and unease in the body. 🙏🏼

PadawanWarrior

This shit, :ROFLMAO:. This stuff is crazy. I can smoke a tiny sugar leaf and get ripped.

WIN_20240406_10_48_22_Pro.jpg

I should've saved more of the leaves, lol. I almost didn't even save these but figured wtf. Once leaf gets me pretty tore up, with some of the worst cotton mouth I've had in years. I keep thinking I can handle 2 hits and I keep being wrong, 😵‍💫😵‍💫

WIN_20240414_16_43_10_Pro.jpg

midwestkid

Veteran
This shit, :ROFLMAO:. This stuff is crazy. I can smoke a tiny sugar leaf and get ripped.

View attachment 18987783

I should've saved more of the leaves, lol. I almost didn't even save these but figured wtf. Once leaf gets me pretty tore up, with some of the worst cotton mouth I've had in years. I keep thinking I can handle 2 hits and I keep being wrong, 😵‍💫😵‍💫

View attachment 18987797
what is it called?

CharlesU Farley

... What was used during growth can have a big difference on the end product. Any1 ever see any of those white boards on the flower room doors of big ops. You know the ones with all the spray schedules on them....yeah. I don't do that.
Well, I'm almost positive no one could tell the difference in a double blind A/B test but I have no doubt that my carefully cared for and loved buds are going to have a much more _positive_ mental effect than corporatized, industrialized, commercially grown cannabis.

Yeah, I don't do spray schedules either. (y)

FeelHaze

Since legalisation in Canada, I learned that potency is NOT about THC %.

Here the market is determined by the numbers. All popular products test around 25%, often more. I tried a lot (25+) of those flowers and most were a disappointment. Short duration "head rush" kind of high without complexity. Fades away quickly and leaves you tired.

Strangely, the best high I got from flower I buyed on the legal market was from a NL5 × Haze tested at 18% thc (what is considered low here).

Potency is all about the chemotype of the plant. The different terpenes and the multitude of minor cannabinoids have a major impact on the overall effect. We call that the "entourage" effect.

Happy Times

From the thread title I95 (top dawg), Dome Piece (Skunktek) came to mind

Some others: Iron Cindy (KOS), super lemon haze (Greenhouse? Not sure), Pineapple Fields (Dynasty, stringy pheno a friend found)

What’s potent? Gets ya really baked. lol sorry not real eloquent right now

Last edited:

exoticrobotic

Since legalisation in Canada, I learned that potency is NOT about THC %.

Here the market is determined by the numbers. All popular products test around 25%, often more. I tried a lot (25+) of those flowers and most were a disappointment. Short duration "head rush" kind of high without complexity. Fades away quickly and leaves you tired.

Strangely, the best high I got from flower I buyed on the legal market was from a NL5 × Haze tested at 18% thc (what is considered low here).

Potency is all about the chemotype of the plant. The different terpenes and the multitude of minor cannabinoids have a major impact on the overall effect. We call that the "entourage" effect.

Leglisation has the potential to lower the quality of cannabis with the gold rush of non consuming farmers rushing to supply the 'new' smokers.

A lot of these new smokers have tried cbd and think they are experts lol they sway the market with their demand for lightweight hooch smokes.

Off topic post but there it is.

Would love to see a lab analyse good export hashes and good export weeds aswell. Maybe we'd see what is missing in today's bunkem smoke.

I'm buying up all i can afford in heirloom and landrace seeds to compliment and inject wildness into my other older strains.

Would be good for potency to see other breeders trying to recreate from scratch the highly regarded strains of yesteryear like haze and the early skunks but again with time and space constraints and others in the race catching up and overtaking it is much easier to just rehash what is already there.

It is heartening to see those putting in the extra effort with sativas, hazes, landraces and heirlooms to bring out this potency and depth of effects 🙏