What's new

Potency, what is considered potent weed today?

*GROWHIGH*

Veteran
Something objectively and comparably strong,...can't really judge potency on memory imo ....it has to be by comparison, you know something is strong when it truly differentiates,...back in the day when i was still growing i would smoke potential keepers over a few weeks to compare them .....allot of the highs would just melt into one another, but the very potent strains would always stand out .....be that narcotic highs or euphoric highs ,.... altho high strength didn't always mean keeper .....i was more into the 'vibe' .. The quality of that high rather than its strength

cbotany

Honestly bud, I think each person reacts differently, I've had autos that i've personally grown that hit me harder than any modern dank, each person responds differently, thc/cbd/cbn/cbdv/thcv all effect how strains effect us, an afgani with high terps around 12% thc with some minors might knock down a veteran smoker where an og with 23% thc may cause nice lasting effects. I don't know why, and science doesn't really know why. Most anedotal information says terps may be the culprit. If you want potent, I'd go with afgani lineage, or bog bubble lineage. Any older funkier strains seem to be hard hitting as well, Mr.nice has a larger selection of these plants. As some have stated longer cures seem to change the effect, but can also diminish effects with modern "sweet" strains. Hope this helps!

cbotany

For some years, smoothness was my main concern. Quality is very subjective indeed.

Potent weed isn't a creeper. It's hard hitting, and immediate. You can say it's potent quite soon after consumption. If it doesn't last long, then that description is lost. Though it need not last forever. Some creepers last forever, but just don't get that 'potent' tag. It's more related to how hard hitting it is, with an average stay being enough.

imo..

Edit: The word potent, is from potential. This is more of a static term, than one that needs staying power. Thus, I believe something that can floor you for even a moment, is undeniably potent. Though may not be very satisfying, if you just get back up and dust yourself off
Bud, I've had some potent creepers, I had one that would feel nice for maybe 10 minutes then you'd have to just sit down and just exist for the time being, I don't know the genetics but I have seeds from it somewhere. It was a dark purple small bud, that was just frosted like no other. I hope this isn't too off topic!

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Dispensary down the street has Critical Cheese at 35%. It's good.
I don't smoke flower anymore, just kief/ice hash. I consider anything over 45% thc to be worthy of being smoked. Right now it's 62% Critical Cheese ice hash from Perpetual.
IMG_20240404_104207166.jpg

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Well a dry soft can only be so potent right? I think 45% is the highest thc percentage you'll see in a dry soft. Ice hash gets up there high like near 70% maybe higher? Puff puff passes the kief pipe here hit this 💨☕👍🎼🚀🇺🇸😎
Why such a difference aassuming the screen is the same size for both runs?

goingrey

Why such a difference aassuming the screen is the same size for both runs?
Water will wash off water-soluble compounds... Also the assumption isn't valid, dry sift will probably be done with 125 or 150 micron drums and the 70% bubble is going to be from like a 73 micron bag. And is it even a real thing? I've certainly never seen 70% THC bubble hash.

exoticrobotic

I prefer a good hand rubbed over water/ice or dry sift for potency and dimensional quality.

Ice hash is always a bit one dimensional to me

i.e the old great Paki black hash whether from Pakistan or grown in morocco it was always better.

Hand rubbed i suppose collects more different size heads and collects from many different plants so more likely to have the most diverse mix of 'stuff' :geek:

gorilla ganja

altho high strength didn't always mean keeper .....i was more into the 'vibe' .. The quality of that high rather than its strength
That's the real question. At what potency is it most enjoyable?
Moonshine or an equivalent high-alcohol product is potent, but few people drink it. Beer, wine, and coolers have much lower alcohol content but are preferred by the masses.
Most think a higher THC % is better; I think time will prove otherwise.

*GROWHIGH*

Veteran
That's the real question. At what potency is it most enjoyable?
Moonshine or an equivalent high-alcohol product is potent, but few people drink it. Beer, wine, and coolers have much lower alcohol content but are preferred by the masses.
Most think a higher THC % is better; I think time will prove otherwise.
People these days seem to smoke by numbers .....percentile pot heads... and it's understandable, as people want the most bang for their buck, but in my view it has to make you feel good rather than have good numbers , and hey, in an ideal world it has both (y) ...I don't have any clue regarding the THC percentages of the plants I historically grew , i just knew how they made me feel

I agree with what's been stated on this thread regarding hash and bubble hash ...the lower 'U' screen bubble bags produce a higher THC hash ....but IMO you lose something from the overall experience...... the good 'ol 160u red bubble bag used for dry sift produces the best full-bodied overall hash experience .......try it for your selves o_O

Tynehead Tom

and here is the rub...... I have been sending flower in to get tested thru my health canada acmpr license consultant who offers free testing. They say right up front that if your strain tests over 25% thc (there is also a level for cbd seperately) , that they will assist you in getting you licensed to produce that plant or sell it to a licensed provider.
So I have sent in 5 different strains so far , all of them get me very high and have excellent qualities to the high both from a medicinal perspective as well as recreational.
None of those plants have tested 25% or higher. The closest I got so far was 23% with OGKB 2.0 but I have only sent in my greenhouse flower , not any meticulously cared for indoor.... would it make a difference

One of the ones I sent in was one I thought for sure would crack the 25% level but it tested the lowest at 17.9%thc. This really surprised me because the stuff gets me quite high and seems to hit harder that the others I have had tested so far.

So "potency" is not about the THC numbers
there is something else going on with the compounds in the flower and the entourage effect of those compounds is what we "feel as potency".
Then there is the fact that everyone's endocannibinoid system is different and unique to the individual so we all do not share the same reactions. A good example is an old friend of mine who has been toking since high school and he is almost 50 if he isn't already. Some weed makes him pass out..... I've seen him just fall over like a tree that's been sawed off LOL many times over the years. Some weed just hits him so hard it's lights out whereas the same joint just gets me a happy high.
My wife gets physically ill from smoking weed. Vision impairment and nausea and both times she has tried it in the 18 years I have known her , the same result even with less potent flower.

Long and short...... we all feel it differently and "felt" potency , while scientifically determined by THC , may not be just about THC levels at all.