What's new

pot hits it's potency ceiling, so where to now?!

roach

Veteran
I just love THC percentages, its such a usefull thing to know *cough*....

I think most people who have grown seeds will know that in a pack of seeds there is always some variation in potency, so the only usefull way to use TCH % is if they grew a number of plants and then tested all of them and made an average, instead of just showing the % of the one plant with the highest % of THC

Another thing is, the THC % is that of totalt plant weight og total cannabinoid weight, like if you take a 20% THC plant, will 20% of that plant be THC or will it just be 20% of the cannabinoids? And if the latter what would you prefer, a plant with 10% of the cannabinoids being THC but the total % of cannabinoids to plant material is 30% (just pulling out random fictional numbers) or a strain with 30% of the cannabinoids being THC but only 5% of the total plant weight being cannabinoids?

canned abyss1

Veteran
Low THC varieties you can find in hemp like USO-31, Fasamo, Beniko, Finola etc.High in CBD will be more difficult to find.Sometimes you can increase potency by other factors.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=81260

Keep on growing :)

I am currently working with some black hemp that I sourced from the wild, the bud from this plant tested at 5.08% cbd and 0.3% thc. This was a fully seeded plant grown in less than ideal conditions, I believe the progeny will produce better results. I am currently running a small batch that I will have tested for percentages.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i hope folks start to realize that bag-appeal and so called thc% readings ain't worth shit, if the smoker is looking to get high and not wrecked/stoned and burned out... hence i hope many more exotic sativas will find their way back in full effect.

blessss

resin matters, ask people who make bubble hash or dry sift and it changes things in hybridization

cross a pure sativa to a pure indica and tell me if you dont get a plant (somewhere in the population) that produces the cerebral effect of a sativa while producing a physical characteristics of indica resin. Grow kali mist, mango haze, ssh or a variety of hybrids and tell me if you don't find plants that have the effects of sativas yet posses properties of plants from more temperate climates including a more pronounced resin profile.

I also have grown grow very long flowering sativas (16-20 + weeks) that don't develop resin glands until after most strains finish, yet the same character of high and the same effects I look for in them I have gotten from several shorter flowering phenos and hybrids.

Strategies for breeding/cultivating for indoors can differ from strategies used for outdoors and still be effective, they can still achieve an objective. Selecting phenotypes that work well indoors in a controlled environment worked for me. I don't expect it to work from someone with one long natural outdoor grow season.

I live in a temperate area so even long running tropical lose appeal because most of those phenotypes require an environment that differs from my natural one and the one which I can only grow in. Outdoor tropical sativas bred close to the equator have far less appeal to me but no less value, this doesn't mean I don't respect sativa it just means I have learned the benefit of hybridization, even if it be by accident.

I think the fact that sativas were hybridized for this purpose might be a clue to why so many long running sativas are no longer being showcased.

Not that they don't need to be preserved or revered but in the practical application of growing pot for its secondary metabolites (its cannabinoids and flavanoids etc) for recreation or relief indoors it is simply not as practical

Last edited:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
picture.php

jayjayfrank

Veteran
really all it takes to improve a landrace is 'the right hybrid' to make out of it so these things can keep being done ala ace seeds and cannabiogen

vapor

Veteran
I don't think weed is any different then it has ever been.Always been dank and garbage..
I have some seeds i started "liamba" they are from 35-40 years ago.
Well some one those phenos are as strong as anything i have try'd. Colombian blacks i grew where strong herbs as well. So i don't know that weed has become stronger in the last 30 years or so. I think that there has always been farmers and folks who have been drawn to the herb and played with it{growing}. unless you go back to cretaceous period, then maybe but who is to say....

Gert Lush

Veteran
It was never about maximum potency for me, its the quality of the stone,
Well said, it's all about quality, and to even imagine that we've done "all we can do" is a joke.

And as someone else already said THC %ages are BS for kiddies, those that aren't fake are from a hugely selected clone you'll never find, and even then are NOT a measure of strength. But there's a lot of people that won't get that in a hurry.

Now, if we work on those divine tropicals, bulk 'em up a bit, do something about those 20 wk flowerings -- now you're talking.

Gert Lush

Veteran
if anybody out there could produce the high without the smell,not without any smell,just enough to not be antisocial,which it sadly is in the uk,and other places around the globe !
Never smoked Haze, then?

Most of mine smells exactly like incense. In fact Catholics come up to me and call me Father and try to kiss my hand... :biggrin:

Gert Lush

Veteran
Another thing is, the THC % is that of totalt plant weight og total cannabinoid weight, like if you take a 20% THC plant, will 20% of that plant be THC or will it just be 20% of the cannabinoids? And if the latter what would you prefer, a plant with 10% of the cannabinoids being THC but the total % of cannabinoids to plant material is 30% (just pulling out random fictional numbers) or a strain with 30% of the cannabinoids being THC but only 5% of the total plant weight being cannabinoids?
My friend, I've grown sick of pointing out this exact thing for years now.

Some people don't get it, some never will. :deadhorse

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
if anybody out there could produce the high without the smell,not without any smell,just enough to not be antisocial,which it sadly is in the uk,and other places around the globe !

plant flowers and bushes around your place that really smell

captain planet

Veteran
I didn't want to post again in this thread but, I had to say Ceiling? What ceiling? And there will be breeders and new strains until people don't have opinions, or diff needs... (and after) *

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
I didn't want to post again in this thread but, I had to say Ceiling? What ceiling? And there will be breeders and new strains until people don't have opinions, or diff needs... (and after) *

it is really hard to make a plant 30+% of anything, there needs to be other things besides THC in the plant

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it would seem w/ the recently mapped genome, increasing access to analysis, and the reality of recent events w/ regard to how they may affect this issue that it isn't a particularly good time to say 'this is as good as it gets'

for instance; understanding better the interactions of the various cannabinoids may affect what we understand to represent 'potency'

i just mentioned to someone today how i am skeptical of THC analysis over ~19% & seriously; strains coming in around the 20% mark like that are white w/ trichomes ~its like a spiderweb of goo covering the bud

so basically; i see the potential to more consistently hit those high levels but; am more optimistic about synergistic combinations

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
As written by Mario Lap

For example, a "Jack Herer" variant like "Bedrocan" [10] as supplied to patients by prescription, contains according to Bedrocan, about 19% THC but by most consumers perceived it as weaker than eg a common illicit cannabis variety like "White Widow "of about 16% and even then varieties of 9 - 15%.

Bedrocan is harvested after 8 weeks and not as normal after between 10-13 weeks and since Bedrocan is treated with gamma radiation before it's sold to the patients the whole terpene fraction is eliminated down to zero.So it's not only the difference in cannabinoid profile, but the terpenes are important as well.

Keep on growing :)

guy fawkes

Veteran
I know the thc rating is not very 'real' but iv recently seen a raredankness GTH test at 29.?% thc grown by kyle kushman.. dam near 30%!!, over the past few years ive seen thc levels creep up and although its slow it still on the up and dost show signs of stopping :), i think a lot has do do with the growers skills and modern resources as well as breeding