What's new

pot hits it's potency ceiling, so where to now?!

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
For anyone who's been around long enough to watch the evolving trends in pot since the 70's, we obviously hit a peak in potency quite a long time ago. Unique highs are mostly sacrificed to the ongoing mish mash of cross breeding.

So, where is the future of pot heading? Do you believe breeders are going to shatter previous THC records through selective breeding, or are we simply going to go round and round on the merry-go-round of flavour seeking like kids in a candy store?

Do you think it's possible that someone will genetically modify a future weed that will surpass the potency of anything we ever had before, and if they do, are you going to be game to smoke the sh*t?

billy

oldbootz

Veteran
unique highs will come back just like 60s fashion did. whats the point in being able to get really high from one spliff but its just a blast in the face and then you fall asleep. or you can smoke 2-3 joints of a lesser powerful weed that has an amazing quality of high that keeps you inspired for hours.

vostok

Veteran
I believe we have only scratched the surface, and if we screw up (bound too) then 'we' will just keep throwing technology at our plant.

Most who use and grow the weed are educated, forthright and intelligent enough to be able to solve many issues of growing and using the plant and are willing to share with others... ...after all, you don't see home brew forums as popular as ICmag....lol

"V"

bobblehead

Veteran
Humans have been cultivating cannabis since before Egyptian pharaohs were around... What we have now is the product of thousands of years of selective breeding.

I've seen total cannabinoid percentages as high as 28%. Its not going to get much higher than that. The trichomes have to grow on something.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
I think we are just getting started. Scientists are just now learning how cannabis works and the game is changing.

I think it will become far more scientific in the years to come as science minded breeders start breeding towards specific cannabinoid profiles.

psyke

Due to the amount of breeding done in the last 40 years we nearly reached a peak in potency. The last big improvement in potency happened in the 90s when the White-family, the Blue-family and the Hazes, like Super Silver Haze or Nevilles Haze came into the market. The last 10 years didn´t change the THC-average a lot. A thing you can proof by studying police statitics about the average thc content in seized commercial weed over time. The acceleration rate of potency improvements got lower and now it takes a lot of ressources like time and money to realize further substantial improvements. Its much cheaper to breed for other consumer relevant traits like taste and smell, colour and unique highs.

But further improvements are possible. The average thc-content now is between 15 and 20%, the maximum seems to lie under 30% -like bobblehead said perhaps near 28%.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
to get everything in line

easy to root
fast veg
great structure
mold resistant
flavor
potency
yield
stank

not many have it all, but if you could get every strain you produce hit them all, you would win the internets

Greenheart

Veteran
THC and high are two different entities. I like the ones that you just keep getting higher on the more you smoke until you pass out. This is different than just smoke and pass out btw. I mean that one that it is like you smoke it and your high but you smoke another bowl and get higher but your like man this is some good tasting stoney shit so you smoke another bowl and your even higher then you go eat something and return to that last bowl only to wake up with it in your hand some 30 minutes later. I also like the ones that make me laugh and feel like a youngling again. What ever happened to creeper. I miss creeper. I would risk all kinds of borg troops to get me some creeper.

Where to from here? Connoiseur genetics and niche markets. In my mind nothing is going to beat a djs blueberry for edible material no matter how potent it is.

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
to be honest if everyone keeps crossing, every friggin thing with some sort of KUSH, there will be no more diversity left..I would stock up on some Ace, Cannabiogen, or Tom Hill seeds...Most others are KUSH, so you tell me where things are going...

and the reason you are bored with the high...is to much kush and not enough sativa's....

Growers only grow sativa's for themselves and friends, buds too airy and way too long flowering..but TRUST me you wouldn't get bored of 120 day Haze, or a quality Jack pheno,

peace
Chefboy

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What about Adubb - it tested over 30... San Diego's Finest boys put in work...

dank.Frank

B

BasementGrower

crazy shit.. but in all seriousness people r proly going to work on bag appeal smell and taste.. is what i been working on ...... obv if the plant isnt potent.. its not making the cut.. but ya i think everyones goals are diff.. and like everything else in the world.. everyones got there own preference.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
we now tryin some of ace's offerings.... the shit from rez/serious/sensi/mr nice...and the list goes on and on... all gets u high, but for just about all of em, the high's are the same... they are all 'boring'... couldn't put my finger on it till recently, but with all the cross-breeding these poly's are BORING...

its time for some sativa's..(ace) that go 12/16/20 weeks... i firmly believe that u can't grow a 150 day plant hit with a 50 day kush, bring down the flowering time to 60/70 days and get the same high... maybe its in my mind (or whats left of it), but i'll never believe it...

DevilWeedSeeds

Private Breeder
ICMag Donor
Still lots of work to be done. Working on consistency with each strain where there is less variation from plant to plant of the same strain. Also not everyone likes or prefers a high THC percentage some like other high levels of cannabinoids and there could be lots of work to be done on that front. Also who know what amazing things will come out once cannabis is fully legal and out in the open for everyone to share.

30years

we now tryin some of ace's offerings.... the shit from rez/serious/sensi/mr nice...and the list goes on and on... all gets u high, but for just about all of em, the high's are the same... they are all 'boring'... couldn't put my finger on it till recently, but with all the cross-breeding these poly's are BORING...

its time for some sativa's..(ace) that go 12/16/20 weeks... i firmly believe that u can't grow a 150 day plant hit with a 50 day kush, bring down the flowering time to 60/70 days and get the same high... maybe its in my mind (or whats left of it), but i'll never believe it...

hi,
you know i used to think that too but really its just being able to use a large population to make your selection from. enough seedlings and you will see a winner emerge.
i bred a nevilles haze male into my pure kush cut and after searching through a shit load of them i pulled a champ out of that pile. 65 day absolutely electrifying haze. tested out at 23% indoor and outdoor last season. i smoke too much and im looking out the windows writing down license plate numbers kinda shit.
much better high than any of the nevs moms i flowered while searching for parental stock which suprised me. i really didnt expect the faster flowering plant to posses the more developed high.
the nevs haze females went from 100 days to 144 days total time which really is tough for most without dedicated space. this hybrid gave me that electric effect but in a much more controllable chassis.
i wont say i didnt get lucky in the cross but large selection numbers get you what you want in a much faster fashion.
best,
30y

most dont have the numbers to look through. by virtue of what i do i do get that ability and the difference is tremendous.

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
to get everything in line

easy to root
fast veg
great structure
mold resistant
flavor
potency
yield
stank

not many have it all, but if you could get every strain you produce hit them all, you would win the internets

Actually.. nothing has it all technically. Next step down this route is, dare I say it.. genetic modification:blowbubbles:
I think as far as potency is concerned, the curing process and extracts are where the focus should be, THAN genetics. However there's no profit in such methods so they're not promoted. Anyway.. I'd say anyone looking for the next big thing to blow their mind ought to check out Ace's Zamal x Malawi. I believe blending extreme opposites is where "breeders" should be looking for ex:
Zamal x ChemD or Suge's PK
Thai Stick x "wheel chair"
Btw I've only seen reports on this "wheel" but its supposed to be the most paralyzing bud out there. Noticeably more than ChemD. But again.. no profit in such tasks so no promotion.

Rinse

Veteran
It was never about maximum potency for me, its the quality of the stone, so its all about the overall cannabinoid/terpene profile rather than just THC %...

Besides, we see more threads asking for anti anxiety strains than the strongest head fuck ones these days...And then there are CBD strains which are gaining poularity fast.

The indoor grown polyhybrids bred for maximum potency have sacrificed the finer subtleties of the cannabis experience along the way, most long term smokers recognise this.
They get boring fast and are easy to build a tolerance to, not too mention the whole generic homegeneity aspect, which is directly related to the generic homogenous imitation environment.
If you want to escape reality or knock yourself out a bottle of vodka will do the job.

Still, the most powerful cannabis experiences come from old sativa's, Malawi, Zamal etc, some of these strains Im sure were just as powerful not decades, but centuries ago.

Latest posts

Latest posts