What's new

Postman's Grow Show #4 (feat. H3ad Seeds Trainwreck Bx1)

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
hey mr postman...
When is the best time to foliar feed, before light come on at the end of the cycle?
ive never tried it.
by the way nice to run into you after a couple years man...

Wow it's really been that long... It feels like just yesterday, but I know some years have snuck thier way in there inbetween. As they say I guess.. Time flys when your having fun:joint:

I like foliar feeding right as the lights are coming on in the morning. The lights arn't as intense right when first come on, and having the day to dry off the excess water will keep humidity down when the lights are off through the night.

I take them out of the tent mist them down real good, then give em about 30min with a light breeze on em to dry off a bit before returning them back to the hid lights in the tent. You don't want them sitting wet under the intense HID for to long as that can lead to burnt spots.

I foliar feed every now and again through veg, and stop once I get some flowers forming.

thanks

thanks

lm gonna give it a shot thanks mr postman...
i will say ive missed reading through your threads you are a inspiration.
keep em green brother....

yeah i think its been about 2 1/2 years, i didnt think you would remember me
budslinger

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
All right!!! The 8th trainwreck I was able to save is in fact another female.. She'll be flowered out in my small tent under a 270watt hps..

So I recieved 5 fems outta 8... Not so bad.. Actually pretty ideal considering I was looking to do some breeding with this variety if I find it to my liking. I plan to choose a keeper (or two if lucky) from amongst the 5 females, and incross her with the 3 sibling males I cloned and held onto. By doing so I should be able to preserve genetic diversity the best I can considering the low starting numbers.. From those seeds I should find nice plants to clone from, as well as a few more solid males to then backcross to my original keeper fems...

neongreen

Veteran
What up NeonGreen.. Yeah, I believe H3ad marked the seed packet with estimated 58-68 day flower time. I heard of the arcata cut being harvested by some at around 50-55 days. I'm sure he took in the possibility of some having a lil more thai-sativa characteristics.

I got this pack as testers so I'm pretty sure at the time I got em not to many had been grown yet.. I spoke with H3ad briefly about these seeds, and he said instead of doing as most would do and breed to a stable afghani type for the initial out cross, he felt that breeding to the thai since trainwreck has a good bit of thai in it's makeup already was a better choice for possibly capturing and preserving some of the features/characteristics the arcata tw high is known for... Sounds good to me:smile: and I'll take a lil longer flower times if the buds pack the heady punch I'm looking for... I love these early released bx lines.. I do believe H3ad has plans for more work and bx'ing with this line, but picking through these less refined releases, and crossing them is what I personally really really enjoy to do..

So far I'm 12-13 days into flower.. The tallest plant is around 42in.. I didn't measure them before setting to flower, but I'd say they stretched about 12-14in since... Over the last 2 days though growth has changed a bit, they shot up a good 5in, and lots more leaves are being produced from the growth tips at once. With that more calyx's are forming as well.. Hopefully now the stretching will cease, and these ladies can start setting some flowers. So far they've been a pleasure to grow though.. Certainly a different growth structure then what I'm used to seeing.. Once they set flowers I'll go ahead and trim out/clone some of the under growth, maybe stake a few early,and then it's off to the races:woohoo:

Thanks for stopping in and checking out the grow.. Good luck with your growing of the s1's, and I'll be sure to check it out when I come across it.. I did a search for trainwreck on here already, so it's possible I visited it already without even knowing:rasta:

Looking great there MP!

Definitely agree with you about finding interesting phenos in early/test batches, and I think that Thai should add/enhance some interesting traits. I don't mind long flowering strains, it's just that they are not practical for me to grow right now. In fact, I have a few pure sats in my collection that I hope to try and grow/breed/preserve... one day! For the moment I'm flowering outdoors, since even though the summer can be quite damp and short here, my indoor bud has never come close to that grown outdoors.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what kind of bud structure you get on these, and the smoke report of course :joint:

ng

PS. grow diary here: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=114970

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
Looking great there MP!

Definitely agree with you about finding interesting phenos in early/test batches, and I think that Thai should add/enhance some interesting traits. I don't mind long flowering strains, it's just that they are not practical for me to grow right now. In fact, I have a few pure sats in my collection that I hope to try and grow/breed/preserve... one day! For the moment I'm flowering outdoors, since even though the summer can be quite damp and short here, my indoor bud has never come close to that grown outdoors.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what kind of bud structure you get on these, and the smoke report of course :joint:

ng

PS. grow diary here: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=114970

I gotta agree with you about the outdoor grown bud.. I grew outdoors for quite a few years before moving indoors, and although my indoor bud looks better as far as bag appeal goes, the cannibinoid profiles seem to be different... Even when growing mostly indica varieties outdoors there was always a euphoric-headiness to the high that I find hard to achieve with indicas indoors under the lights.

I'm stuck indoors for now, but still try the best I can to keep the light spectrum full, running both cmh, and hps and at times experimenting with supplemental UVB. So many different vaiables outdoors though, and lighting is really just a small piece of the puzzle..

I checked out your s1 plants, and was happy to see that the leaf shape resembles the way my plants looked at that stage. I'm sure as the buds get bigger, and start to weigh down the branches, I'll notice even more similarities to the trainwreck plants I was able to find pictures of on here.

I'll be sure to do a proper smoke report on these when alls said and done... They are just now starting to make some flower clusters. I'm stoked as hell to be finally getting some buds on these ladies. For a second there I thought they were going to stretch forever LOL. I Bumped up the gh flora regimen from 6/9 to 6/12 the last few days, and that seemed to really help getting them flipped to flower.

neongreen

Veteran
I'm not sure that UVB supplementation has any effect - at least from the reports I've heard.

All I know is, mother nature is much better at growing than I am :D

If only we could find that missing factor (or combination of factors) and replicate them indoors! I'm pretty sure that it must be some combination of factors, including the soil and light perhaps.

F

feral

I am considering using the UVB that they sell at PetsMart in the reptile dept. They have Repti-sun CFL's at i think 26w. Would or do these put out more heat than regular cfl's?

neongreen

Veteran
I think you're waisting your time feral. Check what Rosy Cheeks says here (about 2/3 of the way down the page) http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=115842&page=2

People have been trying it for decades, and no one has demonstrated that it does anything to increase potency or change the effects. Not trying to discourage you, or anyone else for that matter, from experimenting, just saying...

Heres another thread... http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=93829&page=21
Yes bonghits, a few of us have finished tests. Sam the Skunkman, Sunnydog and myself have not noticed an improvement. Others say that aromas are improved. Herbalistic says that he gets a "deeper stone" out his uvb treated weed. There does not seem to be a definate answer.

ng

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
What kind of UVB do you use PM?
When I tried them I used Reptisun 10.0 tube type bulbs. As far as flourescent reptile uvb bulbs go, reptisun is one of the best available. Some of the bulbs/brands on the market advertise providing uva/uvb, and some of those produce little to none... Reptisun has been tested, and provides about the most uvb your gonna get from fluorescent bulb

feral said:
I am considering using the UVB that they sell at PetsMart in the reptile dept. They have Repti-sun CFL's at i think 26w. Would or do these put out more heat than regular cfl's?

I never actually took the temps of the bulbs, but in my opinion they were about equal to a similar sized cfl.. The cfls's are alright, but I like the linear bulbs better for a few reasons... The cfls which were tested produce more uvb then the linear-tube style bulbs, but the uvb depletes faster with time, and the levels drop off at more rapid rate then the linear the further you get from the cfl bulbs center. The cfls would be good for smaller micro grows, or for spotlight type coverage, where as the linear tube style are more effective at blanketing an area with uvb

F

feral

Thanks for the replies. Yea my space is a micro I suppose. I got some Mandala #1 growing in a space 2'x1'x5' with 13,200 lumens from 200 watts of CFL's. Not trying for large plants just to supply myself with quality smoke and not spend a fortune on schwag.

MeltingPOT

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey...Just making sure everything alright on yer end bro. Peace, and we deserve an update (w/pics) in this thread 4sure...haha there's some pressure. =)
MP

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
Hey...Just making sure everything alright on yer end bro. Peace, and we deserve an update (w/pics) in this thread 4sure...haha there's some pressure. =)
MP

Everything is peachy MP... I've just been a lil busy of late, but everything is moving right along. To be honest it's getting to be a real pain in the ass taking these plants from the tent for their pictures these days... Some of these plants would of hit 6.5ft easily if I didn't bend, and tie down the main stems a bit. Not only that but the stems seem brittle... They'd rather snap then bend when bumped into anything, so extricating them from the tent is a lil tricky:wink:

Anyway I'm now 25 days into flower... Plants #1,2, and 3 are well into flower already.. Believe it or not #4 is just now finishing up with her stretch, and finally stacking some flowers... So far just going by looks, scent, and trich coverage #2 looks to be a real winner... Followed closely by number 1. Numbers 3 and 4 seem to show a bit more of their thai ancestry IMO. When I rub the stems/leaves on number 2, I get a real nose tingling sharp scent of lemon grass mixed with a spearmint/vicks vapor rub edge:woohoo:

pics from plant #2
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Pix from plant #1
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Plant #3
picture.php

I'll do a more thorough update in a few days... These plants grew to big for my backdrop LOL.. When I find something to use I'll go ahead and put up a few full plant pics etc...

Plants are looking good MP! I know what ya mean, I'm having trouble updating my own thread as plants are getting tall and flowering chamber gets full......

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
Plants are looking good MP! I know what ya mean, I'm having trouble updating my own thread as plants are getting tall and flowering chamber gets full......

Hehe yeah it happends... I was so busy watching these seed plants grow so beautifully that I delayed flower about 2-3 weeks longer then I should have:yoinks: Other then the packed tent though, things are growing great.

It seems I'm getting the hang of the coco medium, and the gh flora regimen. The plants seem to be really taking to it well this run. Last run with the chems I saw some cal/mag defficiency, but this run I'm seeing very lil to none of that. Hopefully the second half goes as well...

Haha, I just noticed the bunny composter in ur avatar. Man if only I had a few of them..... I actually grew up on a farm as a kid with a bunch of hairy hippies who kept rabbits. Their shit is like gold when it comes to organic farming... They would dig the shit right out from the bottom of the rabbit pens and plant right in it. All the greens/carots/veggies they didnt eat would fall through and compost in the heap of bunny shit.. Oh man that soil/compost was so fertile...... They'd grow trees in just that with no ferts added throughout the vegg.. Once they started flowering they'd top dress with high p-k compost and that was it... I'll tell ya, I never tasted veggies or marijuana that good.

Yeah I have been thinking of using my bunny "recycling" but have to collect a good amount to do so.... We have 2 bunnies and all they do is eat, sleep, and "recycle"; time to put them to work! I was even thinking of separating the urea soaked stuff and the dry stuff to make a veg mix and a flowering mix but I have a lot more to learn before I do so, and I want to keep everything safe and clean at the same time. They sure enjoy my "leftovers" let me tell ya.... I have caught one trying to get into my flowering tent many times (I dread the day he gets in there lol)....

Anyway, happy belated easter, keep up the good work