What's new

~POST YOUR PIECE~ BONG-BUBBLER-VAPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

pack a bowl

i wonder why they flattened that opal votrex also... it'd look way bigger / show more detail if it had a fat lense rather than a flat spot... although it'd be fuckin massive at that point as it already is, lol

swishaman

pack a bowl - what's your name on glasspipes.org? i think i've maybe seen those fumed women sculptures before, i think on glassartists.org... maybe a different person though.

pack a bowl

i haven't posted any of my fumed female figures on gp.org... i've only posted that 1 pic, the figures were inspired by JAG's work though.

RooR HeaD

i wonder why they flattened that opal votrex also... it'd look way bigger / show more detail if it had a fat lense rather than a flat spot... although it'd be fuckin massive at that point as it already is, lol

whatsup man? not sure what u meant about my bub remember hear your the blower not me so i need the preschool terming of that question lol. how did u get into blowing anywways.

pack a bowl

i'm saying if they had a round lense on top of that opal vortex attachment you would get more of an interactive feel when looking into it... vortexes that have a flat cap like that won't magnify as much. but like i said it was prob b/c he didn't want the attachment to be any bigger at that point.

i got into glass b/c someone was 22 or so (i was 18 at the time), came up to college with a case of headies and right there i knew if that kid could be doing it at that age there was no point in me waiting any longer. wish i started when i was in high school..

Greengreens

i'm saying if they had a round lense on top of that opal vortex attachment you would get more of an interactive feel when looking into it... vortexes that have a flat cap like that won't magnify as much. but like i said it was prob b/c he didn't want the attachment to be any bigger at that point.

i got into glass b/c someone was 22 or so (i was 18 at the time), came up to college with a case of headies and right there i knew if that kid could be doing it at that age there was no point in me waiting any longer. wish i started when i was in high school..

did you apprentice somewhere or something? or did you buy the equipment yourself. I'd like to get into it as well, but have no idea where to start or how much it would cost.

pack a bowl

it could cost anywhere from 500 - 1500 for a decent beginner setup. i dropped around 5k for my setup when i started.

start by finding a local glassblower though to make sure you even like it before blowing any money.

pack a bowl

it was discussed on a glassforum somewhere (thread about buying a setup with 1000 or less)... it was pretty impracticable but still possible to start with 500$... not too realistic, but possible.. would prob leave you with little to no money for a kiln, but that isn't 100% necessary at the very beginning... some things you can make and get away with not annealing, still you will learn very soon that everything will suck ass a lot more when you don't have the tools you need... especially somethin like a kiln.

in the $500 setup scenario everything you buy would be used also.

and tony, don't forget ventilation to add to that list. Good ventilation and good glasses should be bought with money not being an issue, because your health is pretty important... if ya didn't know.

it's an expensive hobby though, and i would never recommend to get into it (aside from lessons for fun) unless money wasn't an issue... or if you plan on seriously doing it as a career...

Mr. Tony

Veteran
I was talking to my sister about it ( went to college for graphic design but worked in many mediums) she was telling me about $2500 for a basic everything I would need.

I wouldn't do it unless i had the money to do it right and take a plethora of classes.

swishaman

Really the best way to go is an apprenticeship. I've been told you can get lucky, use older torches, make prodo pieces to pay basic costs etc until you can buy a decent torch... also get to use a good kiln for free.

Even if you don't get a freebie torch setup/gas, you can save money on just general tools, glass, kiln and buy a torch setup, no clue about gas though

RooR HeaD

pack a bowl how long do u thik it takes to get on the level of j lee? i would never get into glass blowing but wonder how long it takes to get on that level. i love glass but ill leave it to blowers and buy it so they can keep on doing it.

I NEED A BEARCLAW PLEASE ANYONE LET ME KNOW OF SHOPS HIS STUFF IS SOLD IN IM WILLIN TO DRIVE IF ITS WORTH IT.

Mr. Tony

Veteran
I doubt most will ever grace Jlee's level. Yeah RH that sherly is mad hot!

I might cop an ehle from edit.

$150 for 45cm 5mm 5x50 18mm joint

you know whats funny roor head

a 55cm roor fairmaster which is the 5x50 ( ice masters are 5x45) weighs 1200 grams.

a 45cm ehle with 5mm thick glass thats 5x50 weighs 1300 grams....

I believe it too. All the 5mm ehle's i used felt way more beefy than 5mm ( i hit a german ice master and several toro's in the same session)

RooR HeaD

thats word get a ehle i cant stop u! im not a fan of them personally ive seen headie ones at headin to hertel that just werent my thing but if u like them u should def get one. i dont belive the whole weight thing cause i held a 31 arm toro and one of those 5mm ehle headies and the toro had alot more weight to it 100 percent. either way if u like them u should get one.

RooR HeaD

i just looked at that ehle do u really like that i know its cheap but i just cant see u likein that compared to what your use too. i think u should get the hippy! my input yea its pricey but with a lil discount youll b fine.

RooR HeaD

or get the green gobblin thats a pretty good deal or just that 5mm icemaster with the sandblasted label thats pretty cheap to. theirs alot of nice roors on edit for cheap.

Mr. Tony

Veteran
or get the green gobblin thats a pretty good deal or just that 5mm icemaster with the sandblasted label thats pretty cheap to. theirs alot of nice roors on edit for cheap.

If I was gonna get the green goblin I'd have gotten ti a week ago when it was $197. I don't want to pay extra for a sand blasted label cause it's not really my thing.

Idk what your talking about. all the roor shit on edit is super taxed right now.

thats word get a ehle i cant stop u! im not a fan of them personally ive seen headie ones at headin to hertel that just werent my thing but if u like them u should def get one. i dont belive the whole weight thing cause i held a 31 arm toro and one of those 5mm ehle headies and the toro had alot more weight to it 100 percent. either way if u like them u should get one.

well dude think how much weight there is from those massive trees, also the tubing on the 31's is huge!

I just don't get how you think they feel cheap.

i just looked at that ehle do u really like that i know its cheap but i just cant see u likein that compared to what your use too. i think u should get the hippy! my input yea its pricey but with a lil discount youll b fine.

what I'm used to? rofl I'd get the hippy if i could get it at the old price at the price it is now the price=/=value

pack a bowl

pack a bowl how long do u thik it takes to get on the level of j lee? i would never get into glass blowing but wonder how long it takes to get on that level. i love glass but ill leave it to blowers and buy it so they can keep on doing it.

if you had the lots of money, great teachers, and could focus on just line work.. 1 - 3 years. (assuming you have 1 - 3 years of prior experience since noobs shouldn't jump into line work immediately)

it obviously took j-lee longer b/c he helped pioneer the reversal and line work style, still if you were to focus in that style specifically it wouldn't take too long... the techs he uses are all pretty relative..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts