What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Post op issues:

Cuddles

Moose eater, hello and welcome back. It alwaysa huge relief when you can be back in your own home after a hospital stay :)
I´m glad you´re a little better. If you´re on anti-biotics for the infection, don´t forget to do something good for your gut and take a good probiotic supp.
Hope you get better very quickly.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sending Healing light waves and positive thoughts to you, Moose. Hang in there.

moose eater

Moose eater, hello and welcome back. It alwaysa huge relief when you can be back in your own home after a hospital stay :)
I´m glad you´re a little better. If you´re on anti-biotics for the infection, don´t forget to do something good for your gut and take a good probiotic supp.

Last night I researched vegan probiotics, as some of this is new to me.

I came up with a good size list of (mostly fermented) items that are already, to varying degrees, part of our diet, including kimchee, sauerkraut, etc.

But after some reading and some (hopefully logical) reasoning, I decided that for now, moving bowels, even with somewhat less nutrition extraction, is best done with Senna, Docusate Sodium, and Milk of Magnesia for the more stubborn moments; the antibiotics already have an entire abdominal cavity, blood stream and pelvic area of targets to contend with, and I don't want to burden them any more than they already are.

In the debate re. eating or not eating probiotics with scorched earth grade antibiotics, I found that many contended that if it's done at all, to do so with at least 3 hours apart, between the 2.

The narrow-spectrum stuff I was taking via IV in the hospital, every 6 hours/bag, didn't have as negative of an effect. This stuff that kills ALL critters is nasty on gut flora, and stout enough that it's only delivered by IV every 24 hours. Knowing that, I speculated that it's best to stay out of its way, let it do its job, keep the bowels flowing while trying to not lose too much weight, & if I come to a place where the antibiotics are done with, even for a while, then tempeh, miso, sauerkraut, and kimchee will feature prominently.

Thanks for your support, thoughts, care, & ideas.

We're all mapping this out as we go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blind Faith

'Can't Find My Way Home'

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jlLBs6YawM

moose eater

That's a very special tune. buzz. Sang a lot of their stuff to myself and my dog(s) years ago, esp. as a young hitch-hiker, cross country, on the highways and by-ways.

SOOT

Thanks for all of your time and love, and your wife's, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simon & Garfunkel, Live, Central Park

'America'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFAoWwUwknc

moose eater

Sending Healing light waves and positive thoughts to you, Moose. Hang in there.

Thank you, arid bud. All the help mustered is welcome, and it's pouring in from around the world. Sometimes I feel less than worthy, and weep in humility.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cat Stevens, Live, Nobel Prize Concert

'Peace Train'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwOscsBm2dk

moose eater

Off to the hospital for the IV antibiotics; everything seems to, for now, be a 2-person job. I have grown an appreciation for folks who live like this every day of their lives, and keep the strength and optimism to keep on truckin'.

On the flip side.

moose eater

I followed up with the nurse who delivers my IV 'Godzillacillin' re. the question of probiotics taking away or not from the efficacy of antibiotics in the midst of a storm of Darth Vader infection. As well, when I got home, my local urology Doc and friend had just phoned, and after covering the maters he'd phoned about, I inquired re. the prospect of probiotics complicated the job of the antibiotics.

He believes, as does the nurse, that the probiotics are OK (I'd over-thought yet another piece of life), and to go for the natural sources I wrote of earlier. Though I'll be squeezing the sauerkraut to rid some for the vinegar, as my intestines and bladder are already about as pissed off as they need to be, and the vinegar is just too caustic at the moment.

The Doc also pointed to the different pathways of distribution between oral intake and IV, with the IV bypassing the less than efficient break-down in a stomach, versus immediate distribution to the whole body, with the probiotics being more or less kept to gut and intestine.

So 'kraut and maybe other things (miso soup?) for lunch and dinner.

The lack of drainage from the compression bulb on the precariously placed wound drain has him convinced it's done its job. I'm a bit paranoid about this; at the moment, there's been enough changes, many for the worse, that almost anything sets off bells and whistles in me. But he wants to pull the drain tomorrow. I'm anticipating eating the very rare 5 mg oxy for that, as I know where the thing travels to, and it's a risky path; in through the center of the right butt-cheek, up past, alongside the rectum, parallel to the lower intestine, through the pelvic area, and into the lower sealed and sacred diaphragm, where it rests RIGHT NEXT to an intestine's wall. YIKES!!!

So, ready or not, one tube down as of tomorrow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Dylan

'The Times They Are 'A Changin'

Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin' (Audio) - YouTube

Cuddles

I followed up with the nurse who delivers my IV 'Godzillacillin' re. the question of probiotics taking away or not from the efficacy of antibiotics in the midst of a storm of Darth Vader infection. As well, when I got home, my local urology Doc and friend had just phoned, and after covering the maters he'd phoned about, I inquired re. the prospect of probiotics complicated the job of the antibiotics.

He believes, as does the nurse, that the probiotics are OK (I'd over-thought yet another piece of life), and to go for the natural sources I wrote of earlier. Though I'll be squeezing the sauerkraut to rid some for the vinegar, as my intestines and bladder are already about as pissed off as they need to be, and the vinegar is just too caustic at the moment.

The Doc also pointed to the different pathways of distribution between oral intake and IV, with the IV bypassing the less than efficient break-down in a stomach, versus immediate distribution to the whole body, with the probiotics being more or less kept to gut and intestine.

So 'kraut and maybe other things (miso soup?) for lunch and dinner.

The lack of drainage from the compression bulb on the precariously placed wound drain has him convinced it's done its job. I'm a bit paranoid about this; at the moment, there's been enough changes, many for the worse, that almost anything sets off bells and whistles in me. But he wants to pull the drain tomorrow. I'm anticipating eating the very rare 5 mg oxy for that, as I know where the thing travels to, and it's a risky path; in through the center of the right butt-cheek, up past, alongside the rectum, parallel to the lower intestine, through the pelvic area, and into the lower sealed and sacred diaphragm, where it rests RIGHT NEXT to an intestine's wall. YIKES!!!

So, ready or not, one tube down as of tomorrow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Dylan

'The Times They Are 'A Changin'

Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin' (Audio) - YouTube

hi moose, there´s nothing wrond with eating kim chi, miso or saurkraut but I´s only be using it to complement actual probiotic capsules/tabs. The one I´m currently using is called Probio 18. It actually has 18 strains in it and it´s hands down the best probiotic supp I´ve ever tried. I noticed a difference within 2 days, although not the effect I expected :).
Those anitbiotics kill more than infection etc it also destroys the gut - it´s how I ended up with candida and IBS.

moose eater

hi moose, there´s nothing wrond with eating kim chi, miso or saurkraut but I´s only be using it to complement actual probiotic capsules/tabs. The one I´m currently using is called Probio 18. It actually has 18 strains in it and it´s hands down the best probiotic supp I´ve ever tried. I noticed a difference within 2 days, although not the effect I expected :).
Those anitbiotics kill more than infection etc it also destroys the gut - it´s how I ended up with candida and IBS.

Thanks.

Yes, nearly everything about this whole ride has been a matter of trade-offs of one sort or another.

We were already headed toward the co-op to score probiotic caps, and a plethora of other items we were low on.

Eating Swiss chard, kale, & spinach to make up for iron issues and mild anemia, post-op.

Still doing 2-3 Orgain plant-based protein shakes for the 20 gram (each) of protein, both for healing tissue and rebuilding lost muscle.

It occurred to me that the current catheter is latex, & I confirmed that; changing it out tomorrow for a silicone material to see if the issues lessen/go away.

Get all of this post-op clutter taken care of as best as possible, & maybe start focusing on keeping the cancer gone.

Thanks again.

buzzmobile

Veteran
It took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw.
:D

Plain yogurt is a good source of gut friendly flora. If honey is not a problem it makes the yogurt more palatable.

moose eater

It took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw.
:D

Plain yogurt is a good source of gut friendly flora. If honey is not a problem it makes the yogurt more palatable.

Thanks buzz.

Coming into Michigan near Port Huron, from Ontario, having been visiting friends I knew from the Yukon Territory in Toronto, late night, headed to Grand Rapids area to score some lbs., & an AAAcon Auto Drive-away delivery car to get them to the Pier 48 Alaska Marine Highway Ferry in Seattle,my old traveling partner, Missy, the Norwegian Elkhound, a fellow in an older 'boat' of a 4-door sedan tried to run us over. 3-1/2' of snow on the shoulder with a vertical edge from the plow, and quick reflexes, rolling me and the gear while grabbing Missy up onto the hard-crusted snow, and watching the tail-lights disappear; maybe January of '82. Not too many of those memories, but a few.

Hating on hippies was a pass-time for some.

But there still existed a brotherhood/sisterhood among the 'tribe(s)' that still spoke to some sort of family or solidarity; less than 8 years earlier, but still there.

"Toss me a (cigarette, I think there's one in my rain coat...."

Yogurt would've been my go-to for probiotics a year ago, though for glucose protection & mineral benefits, I'd have used a dabble of pure maple syrup. Now veganism, and all animal sourced items = to meat proteins, taboo in re. to cancer, I have to find new sources.

Last night the pelvis and lower abdomen were ON FIRE (!!!!!). Rarely eat an oxy, and have a decent stash of them as a result of avoiding them (same for acetaminophen, though for different reasons), I ate a 5 mg oxy & 1,000 mg of acetaminophen, and put an ice bag on a wash cloth over the pelvis, and slowly drifted off.

The Pavlovian conditioning of spasms and pain to genitals & elsewhere, when I sit and attempt a bowel movement, is conditioning me re. avoiding things I need to do more, not less of. Any jury might enjoy videos of such moments.

Transitioning a marriage to a non-sexual home health care arrangement worries me; I can map prospective outcomes sometimes. There's already been enough losses and tension/rearrangement to life. Prayers, meditations and trying to lengthen 'fuses.'

Thank you again, buzz.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bobby Seeger, Live Bullet

'Turn the Page'

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQW2Lq5pA5k

(Another Michigan boy, from way back...)

moose eater

Drain tube & accompanying suction bulb were pulled today; I'm paranoid of inviting ANY more infection into the lower diaphragm, but Doc figured it was time, and the fluid remaining in the drain line had the clear yellow color, indicating at least THAT area is on the mend.

Probably no better time to challenge infection of the lower diaphragm than when on the earth scorching IV antibiotics.

The catheter switch will have to wait, as what he thought he had in inventory was not silicone, but rather silicone-coated latex; I'm holding out for 'live' rather than Memorex. (*Those over 55 might recall that commercial/metaphor; who knows). We'll do the job right this Wednesday, and allow the tattered/battered urethra and its leak another 48+ hours to heal; I(again!!) NEVER want to do this shit again.

Should have a follow-up call from a serious law firm in Seattle, tomorrow or the next day. Fingers crossed, we get a green light for moving ahead. If not, there are a few other stellar firms there.

Kindergarten rules; "If you break it, fix it." "If you use it, replace it." "If you take it, put it back." Those and more, are things that every ego-driven motherfucker on the planet needs reminded of now & again, NO MATTER WHO they or others think they are.

I'm horizontal now, having handled a comprehensive auto insurance claim for my son; nap time!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Harrison

'Give Me Love'

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjHLxTGn--s

moose eater

Last 4 times I've emptied the larger night-time catheter bag, it's had varying volume of brownish, stratified cloudy effluent; something I've never seen. The previous 3 times the stuff described above was settled from the rest of the urine, as though a heavier gravity/weight had it separate, in the bottom of the bag.

Tonight, the total volume (about a half of a bag full) was of this description.

Not trying to be provocative with overly graphic descriptions, but, again, I've never seen anything like this before, and I'm moderately concerned.

The IV antibiotic I'm receiving 1 x every 24 hours Ertapenem. Doing a fair bit of research on-line tonight, but no matches to the specific effects described, though a number of wild card features for -some poor bastards.

Anyone familiar with this feature as it relates to this drug?

Most optimistic hypothesis I can think of is that there's SO much infection being killed off, the brownish cloudy effluent is essentially the dead bacteria being killed by the stuff.

Ideas?

Midnight doctoring by Google. Christ!!!!

buzzmobile

Veteran
I suspect that you are seeing the results of antibiotics killing infections. Is there any pain associated with the passing of the brown stuff?

I had to check on Dr. Google Christ. He lives!
christ.jpg

Nailed-It-Baby-Meme-06.jpg

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Last 4 times I've emptied the larger night-time catheter bag, it's had varying volume of brownish, stratified cloudy effluent; something I've never seen. The previous 3 times the stuff described above was settled from the rest of the urine, as though a heavier gravity/weight had it separate, in the bottom of the bag.

Tonight, the total volume (about a half of a bag full) was of this description.

Not trying to be provocative with overly graphic descriptions, but, again, I've never seen anything like this before, and I'm moderately concerned.

The IV antibiotic I'm receiving 1 x every 24 hours Ertapenem. Doing a fair bit of research on-line tonight, but no matches to the specific effects described, though a number of wild card features for -some poor bastards.

Anyone familiar with this feature as it relates to this drug?

Most optimistic hypothesis I can think of is that there's SO much infection being killed off, the brownish cloudy effluent is essentially the dead bacteria being killed by the stuff.

Ideas?

Midnight doctoring by Google. Christ!!!!

Your hypothesis is extremely plausible and, I am glad if accurate, you have turned the corner :biggrin:

moose eater

Thanks buzz & Switcher. Trying to train myself to acknowledge potential positive causes, as much as the 'HOLY SHIT!!' causes. Problem is, given a simultaneous meeting with an irate bear and a fuzzy puppy, well, the bear tends to win the focus in that moment.

No pain per se', other than intermittent burning at tip of penis, off & on, and likely related, for one specific reason or another, to the catheter, whether plain old abrasion, or reaction to latex.

Bulk ob SIGNIFICANT pain still comes to genitals/penis when sitting for an attempt at bowel movement, and with the wound drain tube now removed from the precarious path it traveled, leaving a small hole in the lower diaphragm 'barrier, near pelvis & intestines, I'm trying to be more cautious than ever not to bear down, and send any unwelcome fluids from one spot to another; there are barriers I regard as 'sacred turf' in these procedures, that are inherently penetrated in the process; mine have now been penetrated in 7 places. There's places or circumstances for which I acknowledge being a half-informed wimp. That region is one such topic.

My soulful friend & urologist is easy going and optimistic about EVERYTHING. He's survived his own colorful past I'll not elaborate on. He stated yesterday that the ~1/4" hole vacated by the drain tube in the lower diaphragm is in a material/tissue/area that typically begins healing VERY quickly; I have reminded him that my current immune system, as a vehicle, is missing a 'wheel or 2' at the moment.

Likewise, While I desire to get rid of the latex catheter, trading it in for a silicone catheter, my fear is that either extraction or insertion, might disrupt a recently healed, still mending breech in the urethra.

In short, after this last month, while there are many things in this life I don't flinch at, some of this stuff terrifies me, if for no other reason than a fuck-up could lead back to square 1, and I don't think I have it inn me to do this again; certainly not right now. And, preferably, NEVER again.

There are numerous parts of the hospital stay, and more, which I've left out. I wish Patch Adams had been in Fairbanks with his Clinic as a resource. Could've alleviated a LOT of unnecessary, and demeaning BS that occurred. Humanity, wisdom, long-view, and more, have become more scarce in high-speed, corporate and insurance-driven modern healthcare, and persons like my local urologist are more rare. He has become a brother in many ways, and our partings are with a hug, sometimes tears, often times smiles or laughter, and his 'peace with a fucked up Cosmos, while spreading more forgiveness than most I've met, despite his own 'wounds' from the things done and seen. Can't read the future, but I believe we are in a place of appreciation for/with each other. Even if sometimes his optimism scares me a bit.

Got a welcome phone call from an old friend last night, who'd heard of my recent gator wrestling with the current status. He informed me that a mutual acquaintance who's earned very dubious karma over the years, had died of COVID, apparently in the hospital while I was, but on another floor, as there were no C-19 patients on my floor.

Seems to be a lot of Cosmic debt collection happening these days, perhaps to include mine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul McCartney & Wings, Live

'Maybe I'm Amazed'

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxTdz3hw9Xo

moose eater

I heard this one today...

Thanks buzz. Still have that on an ancient cassette tape, along with their 'Sittin' In' Lp. 'House at Pooh Corner' and all of that.

Awesome music from that era. Heart-felt stuff that saw many doobies and bongs passed; still brings that air.

I've postponed the change-out of the latex catheter until Monday May 17, as I am worried about causing the recently stopped leak to re-emerge.

Take care.

Latest posts

Latest posts