What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Post op issues:

moose eater

Busting out my Bic for Free Bird and the Trout Slayer.

:D

Thanks, buzz.

That's actually an image, darkened out for anonymity, of a many-decades Canadian friend, from one of our many trips ice fishing; that trip was to Kathleen Lake, in the Yukon Territory, perhaps a dozen years ago, +/-.

I don't have too many pics here of myself with our may lunker trout from that lake (39" to 42" trout). I have many of my friends with them, however. Never got too into selfies. See it largely as a feature of the new era's Zuckerberg-spawned narcissism, and besides, I have short arms, so the selfies would be way to close to my face, and that'd probably scare small children... and their mothers.

Looking for a decent deal on a solid older motorhome now, with no history of leaks around window seals or on the roof, so my son and I can take my wife and our pups to all the amazing places we've been graced to visit or stay over the years. Who knows? The mood I'm in, once I hit the road again, and the nomad in me re-awakens, we might just keep on going. let squatters take over the homestead. ;^>)

Going to lay off the 6-8 cups of chaga tea I've been doing each day, for 24 hours or so,, and see if that aids the soar area in the back of my right side of my throat; chaga's a well-known anti-inflammatory,. as well as having been shown to kill cancer cells and improve other maladies, but I have considered that if it's an anti-inflammatory to the degree reported, and enough is taken in, might that lead to drying of some areas?

Just a hunch, and besides, my per-visit rate's pretty cheap, so I continue churning out hypotheses for myself to follow up on. In this case, the chaga also has LOTS of micro-particles in the tea, and the broccoli sprouts have the seed husks, so, per my thinking about perhaps having something lodged in the saliva gland (which would be a lot better than a second form of cancer, right?) and my wife's strategy of nixing the most recent additions to the 'health regimen', one at a time, to see which one trips the wire back toward better existence, if any, I'll vanquish the chaga tea for a day, and see if that does the trick. I'm skeptical, but what the hell, eh?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
heya moose
sounds as if you have plenty of rounds left to fight.

just returned home from my 42 year old niece' funeral.
she passed with the cancer of liver spread throughout.
family devastated with husband and three kids left to suffer the insufferable.

i would suggest, if you have doubts of survival, to do those things mentioned above post haste.
be well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvoyWlnvVxw
"Waitin' for the Bus"/Jesus Just Left Chicago "

moose eater

heya moose
sounds as if you have plenty of rounds left to fight.

just returned home from my 42 year old niece' funeral.
she passed with the cancer of liver spread throughout.
family devastated with husband and three kids left to suffer the insufferable.

i would suggest, if you have doubts of survival, to do those things mentioned above post haste.
be well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvoyWlnvVxw
"Waitin' for the Bus"/Jesus Just Left Chicago "

Thank you, trich.

Yes, the daughter of a First Nations artist I know from the Carcross, Y.T. Hippie School days just passed in short time from thyroid cancer. Went into the Doc with a sore throat and ear ache on June 20th, or there about, and was dead ~July 17th; approx. 27 days from dx to mortality. She was fairly young. Puts a premium on the awareness that there's sometimes little knowledge of when, where or how we're headed out, and it can be in the blink of an eye. Pays heavily to be attentive to our bodies, but even then, the stronger and younger ones are often the less apt to heed subtle hints of maladies.

Like with your circumstances and family she left a husband and 2 daughters, age 11 and 7.

Cancer seems to be a thing these days. I'd say more prevalent per 100,000 people, compared to years ago. I know several folks who succumbed in the last couple of years. Many who lived fairly clean lifestyles and ate healthy food, too. Genetics, environment, stress, etc., etc., all can play a role.

Looking at motorhomes locally, as well as in the Lower-48 states, though doing what I used to do, and flying south to pick up a deal on a vehicle or motorcycle, then getting a sort of hasty vacation out of the thing, driving it home, isn't quite the same as it once was, as it's played out in my mind. Too much going on here now to break away for a solo jaunt.

Missed out on a straight 22 ft. motorhome the other day; the result of.. an estate sale. No real evidence inside of leaks, a Ford chassis and motor (preferred), and sufficient amenities for my wife, younger son, 3 varying-sized pups, and myself. and not too big or low to the ground to get up the 25 miles of poorly maintained gravel road into Aishihik Lake.

Looked at some Electraglides lately, as well. Specifically the FLHR's, which were the successor to the FLHS's I once rode cross-country. but that would be time away by myself as well (maybe not always a bad thing, in due time), and my surgery site might protest, even with the shearling fleece seat cover I still have here from the last 2, to go over a low-profile seat. even with the couch-like seats on the things, the area where my prostate once was is apt to complain a fair bit if I were to try and push the 550 to 900 miles a day I once did on a bike. "A man's got to know his limitations" (Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry).

We can borrow money from cash accrual on my wife's life insurance, or, if a Doc writes a letter to them saying, "Yep, this guy's fucked.", then we could borrow on my life policy (different type than my wife's with no cash accrual, but able to borrow on the death benefit under specific circumstances). And in Alaska, if you've owned the policies we have for at least 2 years, then they pay out, even if you take yourself out of the game before the whistle blows. Count that as one place under the Sun in this Country that corporate interests failed to win the day.

So we're looking at Lake Louise, rather than Aishihik, simply because the August winds are often killer at Aishihik this time of year (a week or 2 from now), and we'd have to be waiting at the border at 12:01 A.M. Aug. 9th, when it opens to non-essential travel, drive another 250 miles from there, and arrive spent and wore out, to set up camp and launch onto what's apt to be intermittent stormy weather and wind. not good with no sleep.

Lake Louise we can head to with no permits for the shotgun, camp at the Lodge for $20/night on their lawn, avoid the crowds AT the Lodge, and be just over half the distance to home than we'd be at Aishihik, as well as not having to wait until August 9th to head that way. I can't afford to miss the appt. with the medical oncologist in Seattle August 17, flying down Aug 16, and thus, we can have a more leisurely trip down and back, and get in more days fishing. Bear issues are, in general, similar in both locations, and less apt to be a serious concern the closer a person is to the Lodge at Lake Louise. At Aishihik, while it's not a seriously common concern, there's less infrastructure, and the fire that was burning there might have critters panicked a bit, trying to get away from the smell of smoke. so....

We'll be doing oil changes and checking brakes, etc., on the truck and various other vehicles today here. Meanwhile, I need to run about 33 gallons of shop water for the girls, turning off the water to the house so there's no black-bleeding of softened water into the lines as the pressure fluctuates. Another day, another awesome Thai vegan stir-fry.

On the bright side, the ENT Doc said that what ever it is in my neck, if it's invasive adenocarcinoma (the critter that hit my prostate) then we'll all get rich from the book they'll write about me, as that would be a first. So if it's cancer, he's pretty confident it's not THAT cancer. I told him he clearly has no clue how badly Murphy loves/hates me.

Neil Young - Full Concert - 10/17/98 - Shoreline Amphitheatre (OFFICIAL) - YouTube

Last edited:

moose eater

Straightened out more billing snafu's this AM. once again I lectured folks at the insurance co. and elsewhere that I'm the patient; the guy with a questionable outlook, already cynical BEFORE cancer and botched medical experiences, and that I was raised with this strange expectation in life, re. equal pay for equal labor. That the folks who got paid to process claims or bill for them, and did them incorrectly, but got paid anyway, thus owe me some money for having to straighten their sub-par work out. Adding toward the end of the conversations that if the next time they send such erroneous pabulum my way, could they please tape 2 325mg aspirin and 2 5mg valium to the back of the statement, as it comes in handy toward keeping me more civil when I phone them up to do their job for them. I nearly always try to politely add that I'm aware that they're not THE person in reference, apologizing to them for having to inherit my demeanor, but to please pass on my disregard to the miscreant who IS responsible... as I know for a fact they can tell who processed what in their offices. They're usually appreciative of that minor post-disclaimer.

The trip is back and forth again. Friends in the Yukon, to include the gentleman with the nice hen trout pictured above, had heard we'd been anticipating travel to Aishihik Lake, but due to not being in direct communication (and my telephone company doing as poor a job in maintaining circuitry for my Canadian calls as the other services referenced above have often been guilty of re. medical expenses) they hadn't heard we were instead heading to lake Louise. Turns out they'd have likely gone to Lake Louise to boat, camp and fish with us, bringing their own boats, but our Border is still closed to them, while theirs is open to us; odd, considering their infection numbers were/are nearly non-existent per 100,000, in contrast to ours.

There I go again; frustrated by my expectations that life make some sort of rational or reasonable and logical sense. no fucking wonder I've been disappointed so often.. Silly me. Expectations, expectations, expectations. If I'd only presumed a status throughout life's span, of perpetual mediocrity and irrationality, I'd have had MUCH better mental health. I'm certain of it. That, and maybe an absence of some of the other noteworthy negatives, as well. But then, I'd likely have not been who I am, but for those things, either, so who knows?

So we're now gearing up for the trip, once more heading to Aishihik Lake, at nearly twice the distance, and a much faster paced return, for the worthy benefit of recreating with folks who've been my surrogate family for going on 45 years. And packing up camp after the fact, driving like hell, in order to make the flight to Seattle to the medical oncologists, whose appointment reminder blatantly had me scheduled for a pre-consult meeting with 'finance'. It's good to know what matters most in the 'Land of Hippocratic Oaths, and All Things Altruistic and Decent' eh?

If the truck breaks down, I may just shoot it. They used to do that to horses with broken legs way back when, right? Seems appropriate to have such a plan if the whole affair goes to shit.

Anyway, Canada Customs had, for decades and decades, been considered a civil servant force of sorts, only becoming recategorized as Law Enforcement a few years back, at which time they were issues firearms,.... and a definitive change in attitude. Power can do that to people a lot of the time. So yesterday, when my Canadian phone calls were failing literally 90% of the time, I finally got through to the Canadian Land Border Customs on the path of travel we're taking, and was (I think, as it was difficult to hear) that this was not a public number, and maybe not to call it. I've had that semi-secret bat-line number for over 30 years, to the amazement of my Canadian friends, who've exclaimed that THEY couldn't get it, and would I please share it, which I generously, and without hesitation, have typically done. I guess the officials are no longer taking inquiries over the phone, but the number still works, apparently, at least when my phone works. Power and ego tend to change all kinds of stuff, and often not for the better. Maybe it's time to start calling them up regularly, with my phone number blocked, and telling them they've won a sweepstakes? What are they gonna' do? Give me cancer? Kill me? Take away my access to substandard, poorly functioning phone circuitry?

Tommy Bolin Brother Brother 2 - YouTube

Dreamer by Tommy Bolin - YouTube