What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pose2B clone grow by Onavelzy

cyat

Veteran
Terpene I'm not scaring him I know what I'm talking about.. I just did a run with clones from probably the same vendor if so then it's broad mites and the gorilla glue is fake and or dudded from broad mites.
I got them before from progressive options ( years ago ) I have lost lots of time and money over this problem, this is all spoken from experience. I just spent a long time ( recently ) nursing shitty clones from this vendor only to kill everything, after vegging then forever it was obvious what was going on. Only the clones from the vendor had this problem, not any of my stuff.
Tossed everything got all new genetics from friends and they are growing like crazy as they should.
Btw coco is easy as fuck , and if it's not and your doing everything right then the problem is usually bugs or disease . My latest batch of clones went into 2 gal plastic pots on the 24th and they have grown like mad, no ph ing needed or reverse osmosis or special equipment.

onavelzy

Veteran
Feeding Time

Feeding Time

The pots were getting lighter, enough for me to do a feed. The only one that was as light as the last time I fed was the Dubtech 7. It has the largest number of leaves, even though it's not clear that all is well under or above ground with her. Most of the rest of them had a significant reduction in the amount of canopy when I took clones a couple if days ago, so they didn't go through as much water.

I got quantitative with the feeding today,, just out of curiosity. The lightest pot (with 9"pan) prior to feeding was the dubtech at 2858g, the heaviest was the smaller GG4 (a little concerning to me) at 3603g.

I gave all of them a little over 2000mL of RO water mixed with 0.75 tsp (in honor of Cyat) of VnB to give an EC of 1.2 and a pH of 6.1. There was nothing else added to the mixture. I left the pH alone as the last couple of feeds were in the upper 5's. All the run off EC's were 1.5 fwiw. Each plant ran off between 20-25% of the feeding volume. The final weights after watering ranged from 4563g (DT7) up to 5253g (Kaya), meaning they all held on to 1500-1700mL

I spent a fair amount of time looking at them, especially any discolored or distorted leaves. If there's anything there, they're too small for me to be able to see.

The LST didn't seem to lead to any hissy fits. The tips had already turned up on most of the stems that were tied down yesterday.

I didn't do much with the clones tray but look in and make sure nothing had damped off or fallen over. I could have opened and made some adjustments of position to get a leaf off of the side of the tray etc but I decided to stay out for now. One plant looked a little droopy. I'll look in tomorrow and pass sentence.

Sorry I can't enliven this with some pictures of something, but I didn't want to intrude on the gamer lad anymore than I already had when I was running in and out doing my feeding ritual.

I should be able to get something to look at tomorrow.

And no worries about scaring me with mite stories. I already scare myself with my worst case scenario mindset. I got pulled back from the nuclear precipice by Terpene today. I had a lineup of around four sprays or dunks of various agents ready to go. And then tomorrow, I was gonna look into Amazon for the serious stuff. For now, the surrounding bees, humming birds, owls and other fauna, like my dogs, are safe from my initial Dick Cheney-like shotgun response.

Have a great St. Patty's day coming up,

1327431186_funny-st-patricks-day-pictures_33.jpg

Ona

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
Good news...Just found out ur stuff is from a different vendor

that may be good news, but a vendor is a vendor. In my book, they are essentially an accepted risk in terms of genetics and infection. Some times you win those gambles and sometimes you don't.

Thanks as always for your insight and advice.

Be green, for a day
funny-saint-patricks-day-pictures.jpg

Ona

onavelzy

Veteran
The lad is away for the evening so I spent a little time in the tent. Not a whole lot going on in the grow right now other than growing.

Here's a pic of the spiffy new pot supports I got at Aspenou812's suggestion:

picture.php

A current group shot showing the topping, supercropping and LST I put them through:

picture.php

A side view pic of Kaya after being topped and then stretched out sideways six ways from Sunday:

picture.php

Same plant top view:
picture.php

Earthshattering stuff, I know. I'm mainly putting this stuff here so I can have a visual memory for myself going forward.

Nothing showing yet over in the clone dome. I'll leave well enough alone until Sunday and then maybe assess the cubes for dryness. More likely, I'll get antsy tomorrow and want to do something.

Plan to do my first foliar feeding tonight with the VnB Push product.

Hope every body makes it home ok after a day/night of being Irish,

saint-stpattyday-pattie-1864-l.jpg

Ona

onavelzy

Veteran
Son headed back to school today. In 2 1/2 months, all three will have finished their undergrad work. I'm proud of all of them. My youngest worked hard to finish in three years to save a year of tuition. Now comes the hard part: What's next?

I have free access to the tent now. There really wasn't a whole lot to do while he was staying here. It's just nice to be able to walk in and look and not worry about interrupting him.

In general, the plants look OK. I think that the canopies all look better, darker. Well, maybe not the Dubtech. It's looking sorta leached. Starved perhaps? In most of the plants, there's still a few leaves here and there that have some spots, or some leaching of color, but overall, pretty dark green.

Group shot, top view:
picture.php

Side view of the Pose2b's:
picture.php

The Dubtech 7's newer growth is much more reassuring than the older growth that was there before things started to look unhealthy. It seems to have recovered from the stem bending. The growth at the tips seems far more exuberant than what I see in the other plants. Don't know how to interpret that so we'll play it by ear.

Dubtech 7, staying alive:
picture.php

Here's what used to be the smaller GG4. I didn't taking any cuttings from it given its size. I just laid the branches out to the sides. I severely clipped its sibling, so now this one is the big girl.

GG4, LST'd:
picture.php

Last but not least, not a dadgum thing showing in the clone tray yet
picture.php

I work a night shift tonight. I'll probably water/feed in the morning. I'm not sure how to know when a plant has become pot bound enough. Right now, I'm going by a sense of pot weight. All of them go through water at different rates though. It currently takes about 3-4 days before the DT7 feels light enough to water. I'm not clear if I'm supposed to get that same level of dryness in one day before going to 2x or 3x a day. I guess it could happen, but it's going to be a while before these plants are able to use 1500mL of water each day, which is how much they took up at the last feeding.

When I get back tomorrow, maybe there will be a root somewhere.

Enjoy what's left of your weekend,

Ona

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
Woulda, coulda, shoulda

Woulda, coulda, shoulda

Got busy at work early on last night so I forgot to call home and ask to have the lights turned off. I knew the pots were on the dry side but I was gonna water this morning anyway. The plants looked ok when I got home this morning (always with the caveat: to my eye) but they were definitely ready for some water.

Some of the pots were 600-800 g lighter prior to watering than when I watered them 5 d ago. They also held onto more water from the feeding

The run off EC's were higher again, 1.7 to 2.1. I figure that's from letting the medium get dry and the salts accrue. I poured an extra 2 pints of the the water I fed with and the run offs came down to 1.5 for most of them.

For the next feed, I'm not going to wait 5 days like I did this time. I think I'll go at 3d, maybe even 2. Depends on how they look after this feeding.

I'm also starting to see a few fungus gnats flare up when I feed and there's also some in the traps. I didn't have any for the first few weeks. I guess the initial treatments when I had them in quarantine helped. Possibly do a lights out spinosad spritz tonight. Still not seeing anything moving on the plants during inspection when feeding.

I've been a little bummed I haven't managed to generate any clone roots yet. A number of them have drooped and wilted quite a bit since yesterday. Mostly the Adubs and GG4's in the middle and right side.

picture.php

I decided to investigate. Another doh! moment: most of the rockwool cubes on the right side of the tray were dry, even with the dome completely dewed over. The ones on the far left were still moist. I'm figuring there must be a tilt in the tray that has drained any water away from the plants on the right.

The grower who's technique I was trying to emulate said once he has them in the clone dome, he never adds water to the cubes so I didn't think I would need to. Until I checked. I started out syringing each cube with 12mL then said F it and just dunked the cubes in some water in a cup. I'll respray the dome too.

I'm not going go to HD and buy a level though. I'll try to even things out by eyeball and rotate the tray around as needed to keep the dying evenly distributed

Doubt that's recoverable but we'll see.

As Rosanna Rosanadanna sez:
f2efc976d7f39c0d4590de9b805283b5.jpg

Keepin' on keepin on, regardless.

Ona

Last edited:

Aspenou812

Veteran
Ona dunking them is fine... just give them a light squeeze and get rid of any extra water in the cube..... rockwool will hold the right amount of water and air without much input from you.....just keep them damp and the roots will show....

onavelzy

Veteran
Ona dunking them is fine... just give them a light squeeze and get rid of any extra water in the cube..... rockwool will hold the right amount of water and air without much input from you.....just keep them damp and the roots will show....

Thx Aspen,

It's just part of learning the 'how much is too much?/how little is too little?' thing.

I was fresh out of RO water so I cheated a bit on my dunk and used the contents of the spray bottle of VnB Push that I had at the tent side. Figured worst I could do was kill some dying plants.

I saw a sig somewhere recently that had an appropriate quote, "The only unforgivable mistake is the one you don't learn from". I've been learning like crazy.

Ona

Aspenou812

Veteran
You're on the right road man......and your plants look so much healthier, those grit guards are working good for you i see...... I'm happy to see that.... tell us what ya think about them? how are the drying rates and how has the drying rate changed.....

N

noyd666

good way to prepare those r, cubes is to soak in what ever then put them in a salad spinner, top job no crushed cubes.

onavelzy

Veteran
You're on the right road man......and your plants look so much healthier, those grit guards are working good for you i see...... I'm happy to see that.... tell us what ya think about them? how are the drying rates and how has the drying rate changed.....

It's hard to say since I've only really watered these things twice after that initial up potting and watering. It took a week after that transplant watering for the pots to get noticeably light. This time it took 4 days.

I think some of that drop in drying time is having more canopy and more roots. But some is unquestionably having the bottoms of the pots up in the air.

I like the stands. I'm not looking to be growing any fungi here so wet fabric pot bottoms are not my goal at this point.

Speaking of goals, any day now for you, right?

Hope your gotta big ol' circle of friends with BYOB's (bongs).

Ona

onavelzy

Veteran
good way to prepare those r, cubes is to soak in what ever then put them in a salad spinner, top job no crushed cubes.

Thx noid. For once, that's actually something we probably do have around here. I just shook them a time or two before using after soaking, didn't squeeze out the water.

I was just surprised they could get that dry when the inside of the dome was a dripping rain forest.

Take care and come by any time,

Ona

Aspenou812

Veteran
Yea i have 7 days.... Wallie world has clip fans for 8 bucks.... Looking good Ona..... listen anyone that says they haven't failed at growing at some point is full of crap..... Everyone looses plants and clones all the time..... its all a part of the game..... i just lost 6 clones myself..... oh well.... ill clip 10 more....

onavelzy

Veteran
Wallie world has clip fans for 8 bucks....

Thx for the tip. I've got to get a bunch of sundries and what not anyway so that's perfect. I couldn't see paying for what the hydro guy has. Its why I haven't gotten any yet. They're not real expensive, they're just way too expensive for what they are.

Ona

onavelzy

Veteran
Quick question for the yuge crowds out there, do you run your clones at 24/0 or 18/6 or what?

Got me a couple of WM 6" clip-on fans for $10 per. Still better than Hydro cost. Thx again Aspen. Definitely making this easier for me with the great suggestions

Teamwork, teamwork, that's our name!!!

Ona

MurdaMishou

Hey Ona. I always treat my plants as if they were a human being. Being up 24 hours a day will wear on a person or a plant. I run my veg tent 18-6. Got 4 future mother plants in there and two trays of clones. Loving it so far.

onavelzy

Veteran
When to pull the trigger?

When to pull the trigger?

I think I have to give credit to Cyat. I bumped up to 1.2 EC the last two feeds as he suggested. The little rascals seem to jump out of their pots each time. Now I have to figure how much to go up beyond that. And how frequently.

Based on weight, I could probably feed two of the pots today (day 2 from last feed), the rest by tomorrow. I'm not sure if I want to get into feeding as needed vs trying to keep all 6 pots on a uniform schedule. Common sense would say feed as needed. Just a lot more work.

We get around two weeks of everything being green around here. As much as SoCal gets described as being a temperate climate, it's really a fricking desert. 48+ weeks out of the year, the typical color of the landscape is grey or brown. We're now in week 2 of Garden of Eden status.

here's a couple of Wisteria trees. Glorious smells.
picture.php

ok, after that commercial break, I'm having to decide when to go into flower. I'm not sure the roots are developed enough. I'm feeding at 2-3 d intervals now. The plants however seem to have enough spread and height to warrant flipping. Most are 9-10 inches tall. THey have all been topped, fimmed, supercropped and/or lst'd. I'm figuring I should flip in the next week. ish.

I now have them all in a similar range of height and vigor. The Adubbs won't stay in the same range for long however.
The Adubbs clones are clearly leggy beasts.
picture.php

The Kaya had branched and bulked out but hasn't moved upwards as much as her peers in size, the GG4s.

Kaya today:
picture.php

The bigger GG4:
picture.php

And for Growtech, here's my original Khaya, a mahogany tree I bought around 1995 at about 2 ft height in a one gallon pot:
picture.php

The tree canopy is looking a little sparse due to recent drought stressors and our conversion from an typical SoCal irrigated lawn into the new, community mandated xeroscape with minimal irrigation. Lots of new starts in the tips of the branches after the recent rains however. She's my pride and joy. A tree that's nearly irrepressible, full of life.

Growing is a thing that is invigorating to do. New starts on the Mahogany, figs already popping out on the trees planted at the end of last season, the smells ranging from Wisteria to the cacophony of a mixed breed tent of Cannabis.

Go plant something!

Ona

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
Hey Ona. I always treat my plants as if they were a human being. Being up 24 hours a day will wear on a person or a plant. I run my veg tent 18-6. Got 4 future mother plants in there and two trays of clones. Loving it so far.

I know both ways work: 24/0 vs 18/6. I've gone with the 18/6 approach. I'm still doing it manually though, so some days it's closer to 17/7 or even 16/8, depending on when I go to bed and get up. One of these days, I'll figure out how to use that damn manual timer for the lights that comes with no f'g directions. It's probably figure-able out-able. It just pisses me off they're too lazy to put in simple directions so I've left it in my drawer. That'll show them. When I flip, I will def need to use it.

Following your grow closely . Your tents are looking really sharp.

Ona