What's new

Portable Rubbermaid mini grow - 100W UFO LED

5th

Veteran
What you're going to end up with is the plants stretching and the shoots growing far above the screen, rendering it totally useless.

Tbh I'd remove that screen now, as it will be a pita to do it later.

Not at all. As the plant stretches, push/pull it so the flowers are the same height...afix with twist ties or the bonding tool of your choice.

NKOTS

follow the pink rabbit!
Veteran
Hi merry, the screen looks great, filling up nicely.
I too would start the flo a few days earlier but still you are good to scrog.
I back up what 5th said, just keep training the shoots below the screen until they start to form colas, that's what i'd do now.

Peace :smoke:

Yigtchelpleth

Not at all. As the plant stretches, push/pull it so the flowers are the same height...afix with twist ties or the bonding tool of your choice.

fbgkt2.jpg

There's no room left. What he'll end up with is something akin to the above. A screen that size you could fill with a single plant, he has many.

Just a friendly warning. :tiphat:

5th

Veteran
There's no room left. What he'll end up with is something akin to the above.

Without pushing the stems below the screen as the plants stretch...you are absolutely right. A nice even canopy is the name of the game here.

I lack the artistic talent you possess...so in my mind I picture...your picture...with spirals underneath the screen from trained stems instead of long straight ones...lol...."I Dream the Dream" anyone. :biggrin:

Hi everybody! Sorry for late reply...

Yigtchelpleth, 5th, NKOTS: Thank you very much for your suggestions. You are right about my SCROG situation and how I should treat it. But, I'm posting this growlog with some delay and I can't change anything anymore. Unfortunately, I made all the wrong decisions... :)

First I started with 6 plants which resulted in each plant having just a 2 x 2 = 4 holes to fill. This means 4 buds per plant and it can easily be achieved by some LST, no need for SCROG.

Second, I vegged for too long. OK, I didn't know how much the plants will stretch, but still... When I remembered to start worrying about 12/12, it was already too late...

And third, I stopped tucking the tops under the screen at about flower day 5. My "plan" was to have about 10 - 15 cm of vertical growth and then no more. Of course, the plants didn't listen to me and they kept growing...

So, as you will see, I failed at my first SCROG attempt, and quite stupidly, I have to admit. :bashhead: If I would think this thorugh before I started doing it, it would probably end better. Oh well, what can I do, I like the "hands on" approach... And I hope somebody might someday learn from my mistakes... :)

We'll see if I learned anything on my next grow![FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Flower day 5:

Tha plants didn't start to flower yet, they are still growing. At the time, I thought the "canopy" looked very nice... :)

picture.php

And here is how it all looked like at that time:

picture.php

5th

Veteran
Unfortunately, I made all the wrong decisions...[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

If I ever find the "right" light, medium, strain, nutes, method of growing...I would never grow again. Have fun man....that's what important....

Flower day 8:

I noticed first white hairs, the girls started to flower. They also keep growing, and I started to get a little worried about my SCROG. I stopped re-arranging shoots after day 5, and now I was sorry, because some shoots were obviously growing faster than others. Nevertheless, I didn't change my strategy, I thought it will "fix itself" in time...

picture.php

I also found one live thrips on one of the leaves, and some thrips leaf damage. I had mild thrips problems in all my previous grows, it's just almost impossible to avoid them. But I have some Neem oil and it was always very effective in repelling thrips.

If I ever find the "right" light, medium, strain, nutes, method of growing...I would never grow again. Have fun man....that's what important....

I am, I am having fun! :biggrin: All those "problems" and searching for the better way, that's what makes this hobby so interesting! Plus of course watching the plants grow! And if there's some frosty nuggets in the end, it's even better! :smoke:

Flower day 11:

I gave the third flowering feeding: 7 mL NPK 4-4-4 fertilizer, 3 mL Hesi Bloom, 2 mL BioBizz BioHeaven, 2 mL BioBizz Algamic in 1 L Britta filtered water. I forgot to mention the second feeding, which was on day 7 with the same nutrient mix as the first feeding. Looking back, I think I was overfeeding the plants quite a bit, and although they didn't show it yet, I think they were flowering slower than usual because of that.

picture.php

The plants have stretched quite a bit and my SCROG is ruined. Plants directly under the light are much taller than plants at the borders. I finally realized I was wrong about the stretching and filling of the screen. But I felt it was too late to go and re-arrange all the branches.

BTW, I think the 100W UFO LED light performed quite well so far, I didn't have any complains.

Yigtchelpleth

Yigtchelpleth, 5th, NKOTS: Thank you very much for your suggestions. You are right about my SCROG situation and how I should treat it. But, I'm posting this growlog with some delay and I can't change anything anymore. Unfortunately, I made all the wrong decisions... :)

I recognized your dire situation, as I put myself in a very similar boat many years ago with my first scrog attempt. That was with only 2 plants, not six.

If you are looking for a good scrog tutorial, check out HygroHybrid on youtube. He has some of the best I've come across.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmwk-J7nxi0&list=PL07BD1F4842AF8EF9[/youtube]

NKOTS

follow the pink rabbit!
Veteran
even though your scrog was filled full a little too early, imo the canopy looks wonderful!

lurking with ever growing attention as i just kicked off my scrog too, feel free to visit :tiphat:

any chance for some macro shots of the early flowers? :smoke:

I recognized your dire situation, as I put myself in a very similar boat many years ago with my first scrog attempt. That was with only 2 plants, not six.

If you are looking for a good scrog tutorial, check out HygroHybrid on youtube. He has some of the best I've come across.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out! For my next grow, I want to be ready!

even though your scrog was filled full a little too early, imo the canopy looks wonderful!

lurking with ever growing attention as i just kicked off my scrog too, feel free to visit :tiphat:

any chance for some macro shots of the early flowers? :smoke:

Hehe, well the canopy is not completely unmanageable, but it isn't what I was hoping for: a nice evenly spread sea of buds. Some branches are more than 10 cm taller than others and it gets difficult to illuminate them all efficiently.

I don't have real macro pictures of this stage, but here is a cropped image of flowers at day 11 since flip to 12/12:

picture.php

Flower day 14:

Plants are still growing upwards, and the new growth is getting a little yellow. Not that much yellow as in the picture (that effect is mostly because of camera flash), but noticeable. I've been feeding them with vegging + flowering nutrients, so I don't think it should be from lack of N. It might be that I was overwatering the plants: I was watering every 2 - 3 days and because of the screen I couldn't lift the pots to check for weight, so I just watered by feeling.

picture.php

Flower day 17:

The girls are still growing upwards, my "SCROG" is turning into a jungle. The middle two plants are taller than the rest. But they are starting to flower more, and there is a lot of budsites. Oh, and I finally sprayed them with neem oil against thrips, the damage was slowly getting larger.

picture.php

Here's a photo of the largest flower:
picture.php

Last edited:

NKOTS

follow the pink rabbit!
Veteran
don' worry about the tips, they will always be a little lighter than older foliage, as you will notice in many grow ops. so don't overfeed! ;)

peace :smoke:

Flower day 20:

The plants finally stopped stretching and started making buds. I gave them the fourth flowering feeding: same mixture as the third feeding + 2 mL of TopMax in 1 L water.

picture.php

picture.php

Flower day 23:

I removed the SCROG screen, since it was obviously useless. I re-arranged the plants so that the tallest branches were in the corners and the shortest branches in the center.

The most interesting part of the grow is over, now I just have to wait for the buds to grow big. :biggrin:

Flower day 32:

My plants are flowering, slowly but surely. I fed them nutrients on days 26 and 32, and I increased the dosage of Hesi Bloom and BioBizz Topmax by 1 mL / L.

When I got into the bathroom in the morning two days ago, it was the first time that I could smell the plants flowering. Up until then there was surprisingly practically no odor. I'm not sure if this is because of the strain, the light or the box... but I like it, it's more stealthy.

The 100W UFO LED light is having problems illuminating the whole grow. Branches from the corners are leaning towards the center, and branches in the center are developing faster. It would probably work better if there would be an even SCROG canopy, but I think the plants would still prefer more light.