What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Port of Beirut, Lebanon has a huge explosion.

mack 10

Veteran
There saying there was 2 explosions now.
I def don't believe what their saying.
More likely Israel..
Like in Iran,. Lots of stuff keeps getting 'accidentilly' blown up. ( Like there new Nuke factories)
Seems pretty crazy.
Sucks to be an average dude over there,
So many dodgy politicians, terrorist groups etc.
At least they can grow some fat plants in that hot sun.

buzzmobile

Veteran
So what do you think that "that" is?

I have no idea. I saw this on a southern fishing forum and the poster believed it was a 'projectile' of some sort. I posted the link to illustrate the 'theories' that are beginning to circulate.

*sigh*...I really wasn’t expecting to see the stupidest thing of the weekend quite so *early* in the day

Don't shoot the messenger. :peacock:
Here's a link to explore the thread I am referring. You will recognize the characters involved from your youth, White Beard.

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/threads/lebanon-explosion.934805/

armedoldhippy

Veteran
original news we got here was two explosions, a smaller one which then probably triggered the big one.
if there had been jets overhead, or missiles in the air, military sources would had said so by now. silence...

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Setting 2.7 million kg ammonium nitrate on fire and then shooting a missile (or whatever) at it seems redundant to me, but I'm no expert.

White Beard

St. Phatty

Setting 2.7 million kg ammonium nitrate on fire and then shooting a missile (or whatever) at it seems redundant to me, but I'm no expert.

the primary ingredient in the fire retardant, being dropped by airplanes on wildfires, all over the world right now ...

Ammonium Nitrate.

Gry

Veteran
A primary ingredient may have worked out better than the primary ingredient.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Amonium Nitrate is fertilizer. As with Timothy McVeigh in Oklahoma City, the stuff has to be combined with diesel fuel to be combustable, right. You don't hear about Home Depots blowing up because someone was smoking in the garden center.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K0cEX9ex3U

[youtubeif]2K0cEX9ex3U[/youtubeif]

incorrect. the PEPCON disaster had absolutely no diesel fuel involved. i even witnessed the explosion and it was deafening 18 miles away. it started with/by a fire...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
the primary ingredient in the fire retardant, being dropped by airplanes on wildfires, all over the world right now ...

Ammonium Nitrate.

I hate dragging wiki in the scene, but... close though.

Some of the main components of Phos-Chek retardants include ammonium polyphosphate, diammonium phosphate, diammonium sulfate, monoammonium phosphate, attapulgus clay, guar gum (or a derivative of guar gum), and trade secret performance additives.[11][12] Fire retardants are manufactured as several different formulations with varying proportions of the above components.[13]

G.O. Joe

Veteran
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ammonium_nitrate_disasters

Keeanu Reeves was born in Lebanon

Is this a conspiracy theory or did you decide to add facts to the thread? I'm not sure what is so hard to believe about the stories coming from Lebanon instead of bullshitters like Donald Dictator. If anyone has motive for destabilizing the country it would be Iran, but they aren't smart enough to pull something like this off.

what i want to know is - when they mix Ammonia with Nitric Acid to produce Ammonia Nitrate - what is the raw form chemical that results ? Paste, Slurry (with a little water mixed in ?), Glassy crap, or what.

i don't believe that it magically converts into the round little prills that you see in the bag.

It's a thick liquid. Water would be bad so all this is hot and steamy to get rid of it until it's a molten solid that's sprayed from towers for prills, or onto rotating drums for granules.