What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Polystyrene Dream

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey pico, just wondering... do you always do it up in the same location? it seems as if you really switch it up alot... well you pictures make it seem like that...

if so, you are a true pro.

keep up the good work

pico

Veteran
Always switching things up. Never want to get too settled in anywhere. If I don't change the location I change the style of my grow. I have grow room ADD.

J

Joe Budden

Hey pico I really enjoy your threads, can you tell me how often do you flood your ebb and flow tables?
Best of luck on this grow
JB

amazing landscape pics....major props pico..keep up the great work ..so inspiring..and strains ive not even heard off..kudos ;)

cya around

pico

Veteran
Joe Budden- That depends on a lot of things. Size of plant, temperature, humidity, growing medium, size of pot, veg or flower, co2 or not.....I basically water them as much as they need at a given time. So for instance right now they are getting watered about twice a day. Last week they were fine with once a day. As soon as I turn on my CO2 and we get a hot room with big flowering plants I wouldn't be surprised if I have to water 3 or 4 times per day.

I think watering times can even depend on the strength of your nutrients. Like if you have really high nutrient strength then the plant will drink less than if you had lower nutrient strength. I am not positive on that on that one so maybe someone else can back me up. I think I remember reading something like that somewhere along the line and I have had experiences that would lead me to believe this is true.

John Goodman- Thanks man, I enjoy taking pictures. That landscape picture was 5 shots combined using a photo stitching program. My camera can't capture the full scene with my current lens.

ancient mariner- You know, I don't know what size those pots are. I will have to check and get back to you. I would guess 2 gallons, but since horticulture 2 gallons is different than liquid 2 gallons it gets confusing.

Neptune- I will be interested to see the comparison with and without perlite.

darthvapor

pico you rock, I got a new grow spot also, best one so far. Cant wait to set it up and see if I can do as good, (or better hopefully). Can you tell me more about the pablo skunk, and I got that bell ready to go

pico - you said you got a 12k cooling the room and your area gets pretty hot... is that enough during the summer? i run 4800w, do you think 18k btu is too much?

pico

Veteran
Ok, these pictures might be a little hard to put together to get a good idea of the room, but it is what you get. I just noticed I didn't really get a picture of the 2 NYCD tables. I will do that soon. So I am about to start flowering. Everything is pretty much ready to go. I would like to veg some stuff out another couple days, but some stuff is overdue for flower so it is time to go.

All the ducting is now in place. Ebb flow for 7 of the 10 lights. 2 lights of organic soil in a bed. 1 light of hand watered coco/perlite.

mikecar312- no I don't think 12k will be enough for this room. It was what I had handy and I want to see if it will work. I have another air conditioner on hand to double up if need be. I probably will need to as this thing barely cut the mustard in my last room with 2000 less watts.

darth- Congrats on that new spot. The pablo skunk is a strain given to me by a friend. I don't have too much info on it. I like it a lot growing and smoking so I am fine not knowing the details. Next month some time I will grab that bell from you.

pico

Veteran
Ducting setup for this round is a Can Max Black 10". Goes in to 10" insulated duct that is split off in to three 6" lines that cool 10 lights. Each run has between 2400 and 3200 watts which should be good I think. A plenum with fresh cool air for each reflector would be nice, but too much in a pain in the ass right now. Ducting is probably my least favorite thing to do.

Oh, I forgot to mention above. The sub panel was upgraded to 100 amps. 4 guage wire runs to the main panel through conduit. I have 2 water heater timers running the lights. 20 amps going to the timer you see there, and another 40 amps going to an identical timer wired closer to the ballasts. Plus two 20 amp 120v feeds to the room for misc needs.

Still in the middle of the final stages on construction, but it is coming along nicely.

B

Bigtimer7

Great job as always! I Love checkin this thread its so inspiring

Keep up the good work and soon you will have a BLOWN up room man! THose things always grow so nice and perfect in your rooms... Great job man and keep postin as always!!

AGain, great job and keep the good karma rolliN!! +++ simply amazing

pico

Veteran
Thanks big timer, glad you like the setup. I am really happy with how things are moving along. I don't know how I missed taking pictures of the NYCD tables, those look the best out of everything.

I decided not to turn on my CO2 yet as I am out of town for a week and a half. Don't want things to get out of hand with a caretaker around. I will be turning it on around week 2 of flower it looks like.

The next update should be really good if everything goes smoothly. The plants are ready to blow up for sure. I am hoping for 12+ pounds this round, but we shall see. My first time growing the Diesel, but looks great so far.

On a side note, if you guys have any money to invest, take a close look at silver. Silver is one of those things I have been keeping tabs on lately and I think it is about
as ready to explode as my plants. Make sure to get the silver, don't buy silver on paper, get the goods. Store it in a safe place and hold on to it for a while. Silver and gold are real money, unlike these monopoly money dollars we keep printing.

Oh yeah, I remember why I came to post in here. Lost track of myself there. Another 2 bulbs blew out on me this week. Guess what, they were the other 2 grolux 600w bulbs. So that makes all 4 of the grolux bulbs that blew out on me within 4 months of use. I will NEVER buy those things again. This is the first time I have ever had a bulb blow out on me, let alone all of a certain brand. I use a lot of bulbs too. Anyone else have problems with the grolux?

N

Neptune

my grolux all blew within a year, on mag ballasts. but I hear they will blow almost every time if you are using digitals... for digitals you have to do some testing and get recomendations from the company. for Lumatek 600s folks say to use the GE Lucalux, hortilux will get blown out on digital 6s.

Looks good pico, can't wait to see how this progresses. surprised you are stilling running with the soil beds, I would kick those to the curb if I were you !! too much mess for an indoor garden...

clowntown

Veteran
Neptune, that's interesting... :chin:

On my Lumatek 600w/120v, both the blue and purple, I have been running an EYE Hortilux Super HPS for over a year, and a Sylvania GroLux for roughly 2 months. The only problem I have so far is that the GroLux doesn't fire reliably 100% of the time, it can take a couple of retries (the Lumatek does this automatically) which is pretty annoying. In a room with multiple lights it's not as much of an issue screwing up a plant's photo cycle since other lights will be working, but in a single-light situation if it misses by several attempts on some real sensitive strains I dunno :confused:

Any given way, that's enough of the GroLux for me on digitals. The extra few lumens and whatnot isn't really worth the unreliability and others' report of bulbs blowing on them. F that.

Where can I find GE Lucalox @ 600w at a decent price? I can find cheap 400w's all over the place but 600's are a bit tougher.

The only other real alternatives I've been able to find are these no-name Chinese knockoffs which aren't much cheaper than an EYE Hortilux.

Last edited:

pico

Veteran
I am running all mag ballasts, no digital nonsense.

The soil bed....well, there is just 1 bed. I was too lazy to clean out the bed from last time so it just churned the soil and replanted in there. I have most of the room with ebb flow and 1 bed that is all organic soil. Not too bad. I have this organic nutrient line that I need to finish off anyways. Product turns out great.....yield could be better.

ogenko

epic room pico

looks like you got some coco mat under your pots this run
they seem a little pricey... are they worth it?????
i been looking for something like that for some nft tracks i have coming
cheap alternatives in uk but cant find nothing in states

im almost wishing i got magnetic ballasts like you
never had flickering light or any problems with magnetic

peace pico and good growing ;]

mr freez

3x600 or 2x1000?

3x600 or 2x1000?

pico i have 2 600s and just build a room and will need to cover a 4x8 area, should i get another 600 or will i do better with 2x1000? sorry to pose this question here cant pm yet.

pico

Veteran
common sensi- I am running a 10" with 10 lights right now so you should be able to get by with that setup as long as you have a good ducting run. I would forget about the dampers, that will only slow down you aircooling. As always, you don't know what is going to work until you give it a shot. Always pull with your fan if you only have 1. I use 1 and don't have any problems.

Mr Freez, if you didn't have any equipment I would tell you to go with 1000w lights because the initial investment is cheaper and a little bit less to setup. However, since you already have two 600w lamps you might as well just get another and bang out that table. I think you will be very happy with the results.

ogenko- we will see about the coco mats. I see roots growing under there now that I have regular waterings. I think it would be even better if I had some hydroton or something like that under the mat as well. I paid about $30 per 4x8 mat so not too expensive. Yeah, I will leave the digi ballasts until they figure their shit out. I have magnetics that are over a decade old that work great. I keep them as backups and have newer ones running at the moment, but they work great. Might need to replace an ignitor or something every 5 years but that is cheap.