What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plummeting Marijuana Prices for Growers

GanjaPharma

15 years ago, i was living in TX (if you can call an underground paranoid existence living) we were getting 5500/lb all day long. fled to the pnw, and got 3200 for many years without fail. last few years its been 2800-3000 with some packs going for 2000-2500 (not mine!)
i have seen a steady move away from rare phenos, perfectly trimmed and cured
to massive yielders, trimmed like shit, and sold 7 days after harvest. the unspoken message is:
"you wanna pay me 2500?? you can take it like this then"

NOW
I am starting to see the swing back in the other direction. getting calls from co-ops asking to buy up my AAA and elite strains. they are doin 3200-3500 again. the competition to have the best top shelf in your dispensary is starting to take off in certain circles. recently i attended an invite only auction for top shelf AAA ONLY.
reserves were set between 2500-3000 and almost everything that sold (a few did not meet reserves) was in the 3300-3500 range. let me say that i have been to various "cups" and have NEVER seen such an array of truly fine ganja.

mebe the chronnoseurs are turning a new leaf in the ganja mkt?

supermanlives

Veteran
feds do what they want. keep your head low . there has been quite a few busts of less than 100 this year. they are screwing with everyone.thank god my outdoor is in a low key area.

Skip

Veteran
not true.....plenty of farms in norcal were raided this year that were below the 100 plant count...some farms only had 20-30 plants...check the norcal intel thread for specifics..
You're telling me the Feds busted a 20 plant grow?

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
yup...big raid in santa rosa, 150 cops in military gear....raided 32 homes, most of which were only 20-30 plants per garden..

kifmaster

It's not just the cost of growing, it's the overall risk factors (weather, cops, thieves) that must also be included. Fortunately for small growers with dr. recs there's little risk. That's what is going to undo the market this year. With so many dispensaries closing, many more ppl growing a few plants for themselves, maybe with some extra to donate to their small local Co-op. So rather than buying, they're consuming their own. If they're not growing their own they'll hit the black market on the street and buy from gangs.

It's the big growers who will suffer this year as prices drop yet again for outdoor. At some point the risk outweighs the benefits, but I don't think we've reached that point yet.

This only applies to Cali. I'm not sure what the situation is elsewhere.

You think the majority of people buying herb in cali buy it from gangs? You are a moron. Thats a tiny percent of the market, most people have friends who can sell them a bag.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
AFAIK no fed charges but state instead, maybe the feds are acting as muscle and just hand over small cases, whereas sometimes state will raid a big op and hand it over to the feds, they are both working in harmonious cohesion....in cali they sometimes will let you marinate after the initial bust to build a case, see if you start growing again, then re-raid and combine charges so they can get you above the 100 plant count...

but its also common for them to simply come in, chop all your plants down, and then nothing happens.....basically in cali even if you have a med script there is still considerable risk of crop loss and jail time...regardless of some 500 plant, 10 lb scripts people wave around like it gives them a drug dealing free card...

i think its mostly about sending a message of "we are out here" to all the growers because they simply dont have resources to start doing door to door raids in the emerald triangle....the amount of farms busted this year was probably less than 5%, but im sure they documented a few more for next years round, on lost coast the authorities aerial photographed a few hundred grows, and that kern county article says the DEA has identified 1500 grows......*knocks on wood

most of the farms in my area that got hit this year were over 100 plants, but maybe thats because you dont hear about 20-30 plant grows being busted in the news, im sure it happens alot because i hear of a few through the local gossip....

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Had the cops at my house this year with 12 large outdoor plants (half were ripped) and the cops didn't even threaten to press charges. In fact I heard several times that it's my right. Not saying they won't bust people for growing 12 plants, but in my case it didn't even seem like a possibility.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
wish i could have started growing in 1996 and i would be retired by now and could just grow for personal use instead of paying bills...

Just said that to my Partner the other day. haha.. 5 years earlier would have made a huge difference...

DOH....!

pretty cheap here in co we pay 2000.00 to 2400.00 a pound 135.00 to 200.00 an oz depending on time of year hash oil 20 gm 15gm for oz or more hash 10.00 gm oz or more full line of edibles butter oils and salves caregivers are usually cheaper than a dispensary

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
pretty cheap here in co we pay 2000.00 to 2400.00 a pound 135.00 to 200.00 an oz depending on time of year hash oil 20 gm 15gm for oz or more hash 10.00 gm oz or more full line of edibles butter oils and salves caregivers are usually cheaper than a dispensary
Good Info.. What quality would that price get you..? Good Indoor, or Great..? What sort of strains..>?

Thanks.

S

SooperSmurph

CO is already hitting nasty lows as people with mountains of mediocre medicine try to unload it.

My hand trimmed H&G is going for 2200-2500/lb, same as the big machine trimmed canna fed batches coming out of the patient cooperative I assist, I can move zs at 175-200, but that only gets rid of a pound a month at the very most.

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
Even in non med/legal states, weed prices are falling.

What do you expect with the crazy "GREEN RUSH" in the united states right now...Everyone is growing or at least A LOT more people are growing...SO therefore prices are affected

peace
Chefboy

Mud Boy

As someone who has been through many, many droughts in the last 35 years:tumbleweed:, I don't mind at all. Dealers have made literally tons of money so I figure it's about time that consumers got a break. As long as I cover my expenses and have free dope to smoke, I'm good.