What's new

PLL Club. (if you don't know, now you know)

leflll

I'm looking at 24"w x 18"d x H of grow space. I was thinking of getting 4 or 5 clones or should I go with just a couple and do some LST. Keep in mind this is my first grow ever so was thinking it might be best to just let them go free. What do you guys thank Oldone, ScrubNinja, anyone? Thanks!

oldone

I'm looking at 24"w x 18"d x H of grow space. I was thinking of getting 4 or 5 clones or should I go with just a couple and do some LST. Keep in mind this is my first grow ever so was thinking it might be best to just let them go free. What do you guys thank Oldone, ScrubNinja, anyone? Thanks!

My flower area is 32"h x 27"w x 23"d = ~4.3 sft. I guess it depends on the style of your grow ie soil or some form of hydro. I have found that a lot depends on your vertical height and lighting restrictions. I have only 32" total and with an E&F system it leaves very little space for the finished plants.

Based on my limited experience if you are hydro, go with fewer plants because they grow so quickly. Soil seems to be a little slower so maybe more plants can be accommodated. (I do not want to incur the wrath of the soil Gods, I'm just hopeless with it...LOL).

If you are soil ScrubNinga, DrBudaGreens are the masters.

Best regards,
OO

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
If you are soil ScrubNinga, DrBudaGreens are the masters.

Hey bro thanks but I think you made a typo because I hate growing in soil, lol - never wasted so much money and time for such poor results. Just bein' honest. Some people do get their groove on in soil but not me. Coco + hydro nutes 'til I die :)

lflll, my advice is to grow two mid sized plants. I find the less numbers, the more individual care each one gets, also it's nice to see "big" plants. SOGs and drbud styles (etc) will yield more, quicker, but for your first grow I would just focus on normal-ish plants and learn how they behave and grow, and get the hang of LST.

Buuudy

Hey Scrub, I tried soil and hated it. Now I use rockwool with the Lucas Forumula and hand water once a day. Would you recommend Coco instead?

Also, HTG still has not got the lights in.

p0opstlnksal0t

have any of you cats hung these power compact bulbs vertically? im looking at picking up a few cheap ARO ballast kits and wiring up some 96 watters, and letting them hang vertically... any issues with the bulbs being lit vertically?

leflll

I was going soil for first time around I thought it would be easier and I wouldn't have to buy a Hydro system just yet, money is always an issue too.

intel2000

Scrub - Do you think the 55w Pl-l will fit in a pyrex bake-a-round cool tube with a 3.5" diameter? Thinking about a vertical set up with the PL-l in the middle. I guess it may not even be necessary to put it in a cool tube eh?

p0opstlnksal0t

that tubing might be ok for a cool tube pll definitely not for a hid of any type. do any of you guys know of hanging a pll vertically will cause problems with it?

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Buuudy, I've never used rockwool but what the heck, I would still recommend coco :)

Intel, if it was just one or a few bulbs, I wouldn't worry about a tube personally. Have you seen the high-pod? He used fluoro tube protectors as cooltubes - a great idea. I think they were for T-12s. It's also the only real vert grow I can think of, poopstinks. But yeah, I wouldn't bother with the glass tube though. Introducing heat shields cuts a lot of uv from what I understand.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's my understanding that acrylic only blocks a fraction of the UV that glass does. Does anybody have any information about that? Also, growing aside, fluorescent lamps are frequently used in vertical applications.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Rives, it seems that used to be the case but not so much now. See here. (down the bottom)

Glass:
"Crown glass" - window glass and aquarium/ vivarium glass - Fig. 11. No UVB reaches these bearded dragons through the window almost completely blocks UVB. A meter aimed directly at the sun through one double-glazed glass window recorded 2uW/cm² when the unobstructed reading was 147uW/cm² - over 98.5% was blocked. Through other windows and several glass vivarium panels, a 100% block was seen.

Acrylic:
However, sheets of UV-transmitting acrylic are no longer mass-produced and are increasingly difficult to obtain. Most acrylics are now formulated with additives which block all UV transmission. We have found a very small number of stockists which sell acrylic sheets FOR USE IN SUNBEDS, which do transmit up to 80% of the UVB.

Poopstinks if you read the masterpll pdf it has all the details on bulb orientation. Worth a read. It's posted on the fluoro lumens thread in my sig, or a few pages back in here I think.

p0opstlnksal0t

Rives, it seems that used to be the case but not so much now. See here. (down the bottom)

Glass:

Acrylic:

Poopstinks if you read the masterpll pdf it has all the details on bulb orientation. Worth a read. It's posted on the fluoro lumens thread in my sig, or a few pages back in here I think.

thanks for the linkage scrub... i skimmed through it and got what i needed, most of it though was foreign to me, lol.

hey guise, im back, and after much lurking, i have learned a little, im either going to buy from AH supply or 1000bulbs. any thoughts on this? ill show some of my stand point.

from AH supply, i could get

"Part 20241F - 1x24W Freshwater Bright Kit
This kit includes one 24 watt 6700K compact bulb. It also includes one Miro 4 reflector 13.5"L x 4"W x 2"H, one solid-state electronic ballast (3.375"L x 2.375"W x 1"H including mounting brackets), one grounding power cord, two steel bulb holders, one 2G11 socket, and hardware for the electrical hookup and for installing the kit in a wood enclosure.
Price: $44.99 "

but im not sure, they are pretty expensive, esspecially because im thinking i will need 2 or 3. as for the UV reflection issue i think i will line their reflectors with my aluminum tape.

or i could go to 1000bulbs, and get a work horse 3 which is rated to hold over 48 watts and two 24 watt bulbs one 3000k(or 2800k if i can find) and one 6700k, that would still fit my space, but does not have a reflector, nor can i find the sockets on 1000bulbs' website.

my dimensions are 14" x 14" by 24" high.

i cant think of anything eles to ask or say, so if ive left anything out, please let me know.

waiting for opinions,

christoph :lurk:

Endur

Veteran
Want to upgrade to PL L's in a PC case...

Want to upgrade to PL L's in a PC case...

What's Good,
I am looking for some advice from you crazy micro growers....haha
So here is my situation....
I am currently growing in a PC case. Dimensions are as follows.
L 16in X W 7in X H 16in
I have 3 23 watt CFL's plugged into a power strip with bulb adapters.
I am looking to upgrade to a couple PL L's. I need to know what would be best for this PC cabinet. Keep in mind I am running 69 watts, so a few more watts wouldn't hurt.
I would really appreciate if I can get a detailed item/part #'s that would make this grow case more productive.
Peace
ENDUR

I'm kinda in the same boat as Endur, I'm finishing up flowering with 4x23w 2700's and 2x27w 6500k cfl's all plugged into socket adapters and then into 6 outlet strip adapters all lined up across the top of my pc case. It's worked out great however all of my lights are physically over one side of the case while the built in cfl ballasts are on the other side and I would love to maximize that slightly darker area in my case.
Pl-l's seem like the perfect idea. I'm thinking about placing 1 or 2 small pl-l's under the cfl ballast area to just throw in some veg light and then I'd go all flowering lights overhead.

The 1-2 questions I have aside from reading and seeing that I have to attach the lights to an external ballast or mount a light socket adapter :)
If I'm running one of these bulbs by itself,(figure 24w or less) if my plants grow within a half inch of it, it should be fine and not to hot? Essentially same rule of thumb as the cfl's?
Lastly, sorry the pic is bad it's off a cellphone, but as a visual idea, I would mount the pl-l right under the base of the cfl's on the backside of the case.
img054.jpg

edit: I'm thinking either 2x18w bulbs or 1x24w bulb directly under the outlet strips. Also now that I'm looking at it, I may have to switch my mother/clone pc tower to pl-l's after investigating them more now that I'm comfortable with my first run, obviously that pic is a few weeks old.

Just found a place here that sells a selection of 55W PL-L-s for 1.5$ each!! I just have to grow again with equipment this cheap :D
The ballasts cost about 15$ per 2x55W so I'm looking at a 220W PLL setup for ~35$!

I'm excited like a little girl! :D

:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts