What's new

PLL Club. (if you don't know, now you know)

Buuudy

3x55 might stand a chance
So whats the advantage of having pll's over hps? I have a 400w hps and its not hard to manage the heat and I live where it gets over 100. I cant imagine a 150w hps giving off too much heat. Are pll's mainly just to save space?

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Yup, headroom is a big reason. I have 8 inches left to drop this

DSCF50651.JPG

Fluoro buds are way frosty too -> The best.

Buuudy

My 2x55W PL-L cab:

The babes are 2 different phenotypes of Double Dutch at flowering day 50 :)

edit: Some better Closeups:

May I come in? :D

Greetings,
Garuda.
Hey dude, if you dont mid me asking...How much did you get from that. This is pretty much exactly what I am going to be doing.

Buuudy

First of all, thanks to everyone for the help. Especially Scrubs.

I know you said I should use 3 55w's. But For cost reasons I think I am going to get the 2 55w from HTG http://htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=51907. I will probably buy a CFL and hang it right in the middle of the grow.

Quick question guys...The setup I mentioned earlier comes with two 6400K GROW BULBS. Should I spend $15 extra and get two 3,000 Kelvin Red Spectrum bulbs for flower?

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Yeah man, I would get the extra bulbs for sure. About the CFL, it's an easy fix, just remember it is the least efficient form of fluoro lighting that any of us use on the whole forum (unless StealthDragon is still running CCFLs but I think he stopped?). Even my t-8s kick out more lumens and are better suited. Hope I'm not over emphasising, but it just seems weird to go to all that trouble for high efficiency lighting, only to water it down with the worst efficiency. Using it vertically won't change the poor lumens per watt. But good luck with whatever you choose.

Buuudy

Yeah man, I would get the extra bulbs for sure. About the CFL, it's an easy fix, just remember it is the least efficient form of fluoro lighting that any of us use on the whole forum (unless StealthDragon is still running CCFLs but I think he stopped?). Even my t-8s kick out more lumens and are better suited. Hope I'm not over emphasising, but it just seems weird to go to all that trouble for high efficiency lighting, only to water it down with the worst efficiency. Using it vertically won't change the poor lumens per watt. But good luck with whatever you choose.
Good point. I will just stick with what I mentioned earlier and maybe buy another one once I get some more money. Im buying the stuff tonight. I am excited. Another quick question. Sorry haha. Would this be ok to keep a very small mother http://htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=55118

Sorry again. that was my last question. Just new to this whole not using a hps thing.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
lol no worries dude, I love this kind of stuff :tongue:

Please, spare a thought for t5 growers.

The T5 lamp provides peak light output at 35 °C (95 °F) air temperature. (By contrast, the T8 and the T12 lamps provide peak light output at a 25 °C [77 °F] ambient air temperature.) The T5 lamp has a higher lumens-per-watt efficiency than a T8 lamp of about the same wattage, in a space where there is little or no air circulation.

I don't use t-5 at all, or recommend it for growing due to the above simple fact. I mean, that is a no brainer imo. Having said that, it's just a mum so, sure. Even a cfl would be okay for that kind of application (but just this once, ok). I use 2x18w T8s for veg/mums and pretty happy with how much plant matter they support.

In addition to that, I can grow baby seedlings smooshed up against the bulb and they won't burn. Can't do that with a CFL or T5. The light is less intense but fine for mums and early veg.

IMO the T5 fixture is a waste to use on just one mother. Get one with two T8 bulbs and make a clone/mother shelf.

For just one mother you could use a single ~20W CFL too though. They don't need much.

edit: Scrub was faster :D , forgot to refresh the page

Buuudy

Thanks guys. I looked for T8's but HTG does not carry them. I called to see if they had any. Guy on the phone said "No one really carries those anymore. T5's are much more effecient. Any way, I ordered my stuff. I will let you guys know how it goes in a few weeks, once things get rolling.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Good stuff buuudy. Please see the fluorescent lumens thread I made here, I've tried to break it down some more. I will add that the best choice depends on a lot of things. My saying t-5 is a poor choice is not really accurate as it depends on the situation, but it should help to get the most out of your lights whichever style is used. Happy grows.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Read back a few pages bro. The answers are right under your nose! You are really really really warm!

leflll

Ok ScubNinja been reading here a for a few days and you clearly are the man. I’m ready to purchase my lights but I can’t decide to order the Workhorse 8, 4 x 55wbulbs, and 2g11 sockets or get the kit from Ahsupply its $142.00 with shipping and no bulbs. That seems kind of high to me. Is it worth the extra money to have the reflectors and not have to hunt down cords and stuff? If I do buy everything separate would home depot or radio shack be able to supply power cord and wires. My box is going to be 3ft high so I would like to be able to raise and lower lights which setup would be best. Thanks for this help and all the great info you’ve already given.

Buuudy

It seems as if HTG Supply has stopped carrying the PLL setup. Glad I ordered mine when I did. Unless, they are just fixing their website and its not showing right now.

DaftBud

Has anyone had any luck finding or ordering these things through an electronics supply store? I did some calling around yesterday and no one seemed to even know what T5 biax or L-type compact fluorescent are.

foo_bird

the kits from AH supply work great I have no light meter
but I'll bet 2 bulbs in reflectors give the plant same light
as 3 bulbs no reflectors

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Has anyone had any luck finding or ordering these things through an electronics supply store? I did some calling around yesterday and no one seemed to even know what T5 biax or L-type compact fluorescent are.

They are on nearly all the "bulb" websites.

You could order them there.