What's new

Plants that help our plants

foggy

Jay, do you know any good herbs that can prevent gray mold, it is infecting one of my stems not the buds.
Any suggestion here?

foggy

I have just smoked from one of my plants, they are great, i like!!!! thanks for the good suggestions here.

C

corkushy

sweet post im gonna have to give some of these brews a little taste test! lol thx for the info

C

corkushy

hey im sure youve already answered this a million times but i didnt have time to read through the hole post just the original info. which one of these do you think would work best for fungus gnats i cant get rid of them ive tried coveing the top layer of my soil with a little more then a 1/2 of sand and before i did this i used BONIDE all season horticultural spray oil (which says for organicgardening/leading me to think its organinc) but still neither of these things worked 100% they keep comin back ,will they make any impacton my plants

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have just smoked from one of my plants, they are great, i like!!!! thanks for the good suggestions here.

good to hear, not bad for free fertilizers huh? gray mold? some say the yarrow extract taken early has fungicidal properties( im assuming twards unwanted species because it helps promote healthy fungal growth where yarrow grows). use when it smells super sweet.

corkushy- i would try more sand, shoot for an inch- 1 1/2 inch and let it dry thats the key. you need to interrupt there breeding cycle, so there numbers drop. getting rid of them is not really a plant issue, its a soil issue ( i.e too wet, not enough air)

foggy

good to hear, not bad for free fertilizers huh? gray mold? some say the yarrow extract taken early has fungicidal properties( im assuming twards unwanted species because it helps promote healthy fungal growth where yarrow grows). use when it smells super sweet.

corkushy- i would try more sand, shoot for an inch- 1 1/2 inch and let it dry thats the key. you need to interrupt there breeding cycle, so there numbers drop. getting rid of them is not really a plant issue, its a soil issue ( i.e too wet, not enough air)

It is nice to smoke some good cannabis, without any chemicals in it, what a taste it is.
I read about grey mold, that you can handle it with some good old fashion green soap, (gelly kinda spoap) dont know why, and dont know if it is healthy to use but it works they say.
I am going to do some googling and see if i can find any thing about it.

foggy

I found an article on how to treat most molds, tea from horsetail would do it.

20 grams of dry horsetail added to 1l boiling water and let it in for 30 minutes. Dilute to about 1 to 5 a spray the whole plant. It is used as protective spray in advance to prevent mold.
it can not be used when it is allready to late.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is nice to smoke some good cannabis, without any chemicals in it, what a taste it is.

that quote reminds me of the first time i smoked weed that was 100% mine, and grown with my own fertilizers. i can still remember the taste too :)

horsetail is a good source of CA and MG too. i throw it in the compost pile by the bucket load, it helps with aeration too because of the structure.

maryjohn

Veteran
jay can you give a rundown of what tends to go in your compost? i'm thinking it may play a significant role, though it's not as fun as extracts.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
your right, it does play a significant role. in fact it has the most important role of anything else imo. quality composting procedures = less work and better results later on. first off i don't use manure for compost. even though i have chickens that give me tons of it. i pass. compost piles based on plant material have given me much better results for a few reasons but the main one is diversity. the more diversity of plants/materials you put in, the more diversity of nutrients that those plants contain. then to break down all these different materials you get a diverse population of micro organisms, then.....well you get the point. i always incorporate biochar and rock powders into my composting process now for the same reasons and many more. by the time the compost is finished, its nice and fluffy like a sponge, dark, nutrient and biologically rich and all you have to do is either amend some soil outside, top dress established beds/areas, or throw it in a pot and put a plant in it.

the extracts are used best if you don't amend the soil and need an extra boost( some help with pest and disease control though). they are great supplements but nothing to a well structured soil which should be everyone's first priority.

as to what goes into my compost, mainly garden scraps ( leaves, stems, past ripe food, etc....) then i grow my own fertilizers ( nettles, yarrow, dandelion, comfrey, chamomile, and a few others) nettle, comfrey and yarrow can give me a lot of bulk material if need it. i usually use half for compost, 1/4 for mulch and 1/4 for extracts give or take i dont measure too lazy. nettles get harvested 2-3 times a year ( more for an established patch but i just moved here recently) and make EXCELLENT additions to compost piles gets em cookin GOOD. comfrey once established can be cut 3-5 time a year and left in the fall and winter to regain strength, this plant is a workhorse once going strong. it will produce TONS of leaf full of goodness.

sorry for the long reply, compost gets me going.....

Nettles can be used for hay-fever suppression and pollen allergies. The beauty of Medicinal plants has always held a great importance to me, being a horticulturalist and all, and I believe at one point in this nation, a great deal of people will turn to growing and utilizing everyday plant material as part of there daily diet, medical needs, and material harvesting. I hope Americans, and people worldwide, will start utilizing a sustainable living program in their homes, which include medicinal plants, and start educating themselves correctly. The more you know, the less you pay in the end.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The beauty of Medicinal plants has always held a great importance to me, being a horticulturalist and all, and I believe at one point in this nation, a great deal of people will turn to growing and utilizing everyday plant material as part of there daily diet, medical needs, and material harvesting. I hope Americans, and people worldwide, will start utilizing a sustainable living program in their homes, which include medicinal plants, and start educating themselves correctly. The more you know, the less you pay in the end.

i do! most of us here already grow our own medicine. its just one small step further to do the rest. almost all of the plants i use, have multiple uses benefiting both me and the plants. nettles for example, you mentioned allergies. you can also make rope, hair wash, even nettle wine. yarrow is a fertilizer and a great medicine for fighting flu's as well as more.

S

spiral

Speaking of growing your own ferts. Today I went hiking, noticed the nettles were seeded. Got a ton of seeds, but dont worry I left more than enough for nature. Gonna get some yarrow seeds too.

I think theres something in yarrow they make asparin with. Back in the day during war they used to pack yarrow in wounds, to relieve some of the pain.

This year I also companion planted nettles with some outdoor plants, more for the beneficial microbes they attract than trying to enhance the oils of my plants. I personaly feel it did make them a little stinkier, But I could be being byassed.

Cant for the life of me find horsetail, tried for two summers. However I did by of bunch of horsetail tea they had on clearence at a supermarket, think that will work.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Speaking of growing your own ferts. Today I went hiking, noticed the nettles were seeded. Got a ton of seeds, but dont worry I left more than enough for nature. Gonna get some yarrow seeds too.

i am about to do the same in a few days, i went to the river and the seeds were not quite ripe. one plant produces thousands of seeds, i doubt you can make an impact with how much one person needs.

I think theres something in yarrow they make asparin with. Back in the day during war they used to pack yarrow in wounds, to relieve some of the pain.

yes, you are right. i cant remember the name but it starts with an S....anyways, it works great to stop bleeding cuts. whenever im in the garden and get cut. straight to the yarrow plant for some leaves to crush and rub on the cut. stops bleeding in no time and heals fast and well.

Cant for the life of me find horsetail, tried for two summers. However I did by of bunch of horsetail tea they had on clearence at a supermarket, think that will work.

not the best but it works for sure. horsetail can be a bitch to find. luckily i stumbled upon two HUGE patches. more than i could ever need.

this makes me happy, now im not the only nut growing pot with plants.

opt1c

Veteran
i'll throw another mj plant or a tomato plant in my garden and use it as a trap; ie i'll dip it in avid or floramite, spray the shit out of it with neem, bt, spinosad etc... all through flower... i won't touch any of my other plants and i don't harvest or smoke the plant i treat... sorta like putting a mine in the middle of a garden for bugs and pests... i've found it really helps you stay on top of preventive stuff without worrying about foliars or anything else getting on the plants u smoke... some pheremones and extra nutes are sure to bring the critters to that plant fist; if your'e on top of it they'll never make it to your other pants

no reason to play fair :)

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
jay can you describe where the horsetail grows? near water?

i have 3 spots i go to.

1. on the side of a lake, where a small creek runs into it. all along side the creek (100 yards) is horsetail.
2.on the side of the road, small stream and small pond.
3.small open plain on the side of a river

so, to me when i need to find horsetail.....high elevation (5000-6500ish), wet areas, and places where lots of organic matter might build up ( side of streams, shallow wet ponds, etc...)

but to be honest, when i found each of them. i wasn't looking for anything really. just hiking, enjoying nature, and just making observations.

Latest posts

Latest posts