What's new

Plants that help our plants

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
jay, I have a shitload of yarrow around me

that's the beauty of it, these plants grow everywhere!

do I just throw the whole plant, flower stem and all in the water?

yup, its that simple. you can chop it up some but you dont NEED to. it just speeds things up a tiny bit because of more surface area. but like i said you can just toss it all in and wait, stirring up the material every few days with a stick helps some too.

or should I hang dry it first before using?
\

hang dry if you want to save some for later, you can dry and store yarrow for up to a year and still use it with good results. just don't leave it in a really hot dry and sunny area.
i store it in a 5 gallon bucket in powder form with the lid on in a shed. enough ferts for a LONG LONG time.

also what does yarrow contain ?

nutrients:Iron, Lime, Potash, Soda, Phosphorus, Sulphur, Nitrates

The primary chemical constituents of Yarrow include essential oil (proazulene, borneol, camphor, cineole, eugenol, linalool, pinene, sabinene, thujone), isovalerianic acid, achillein, formic acid, salicylic acid, polyacetylenes, asparagin, sterols, glycoalkaloid (achhilleine), flavonoids (apigenin, luteolin, rutin, quercitin), coumarins and tannins

hope that answers your questions.

neongreen

Veteran
that's the beauty of it, these plants grow everywhere!

Ain't that the truth!

I was racking my mind trying to think where I'd seen it before, so I could harvest some. The next day I spotted some whilst driving about half an hour away. The day after that I realized where I'd seen it before; my lawn is full of it :laughing:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The day after that I realized where I'd seen it before; my lawn is full of it

haha yea, another good one that grows in lawns is dandelion, GREAT stuff. both for you and your plants. i grow my own dandelion....well let me re phrase that. i plant dandelion and it grows itself, i just harvest it. i find it funny how some people hate how dandelions come back and come back and come back from repeated cutting and abuse. i love it, no matter what i do it always grows!

ripman

Hey guys, what do you suggest as companion plants for tomato? I've sort of understood what I want for MJ (mainly enhancing oil companions), but what works good in enhancing the yield and especially taste for tomato plants? I would love to know.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
ripman

Marigolds are the perfect plant for tomatoes. I can't remember the exact science on the 'why' but I do know that I never plant tomatoes without adding marigolds to the garden.

Check out the science on why you would want to do this - pretty interesting.

HTH

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Jaykush

Another good companion for any garden is sweet peas. Mites absolutely LOVE the sweet pea plants. Let them gather and cover with a plastic bag and remove from the garden.

Not a total solution but another weapon in the ongoing battle with mites.

CC

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
to be honest i don't have to deal with mites. but good to know. i love fresh sweet peas.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Jaykush

I keep a couple of sweet pea plants in my MMJ chamber if for no other reason than if the mites hit the sweet pea plants then I know that I have an infestation. Kind of a marker deal if you will.

CC

neongreen

Veteran
haha yea, another good one that grows in lawns is dandelion, GREAT stuff. both for you and your plants.

Also dock leaves... in my lawn grass is practically a minority!

for tomatoes... borage and marigolds. you can do basil as well.

I've also heard of basil as a companion for toms.

It should be noted that borage makes a great green manure too. I'm defiantly going to experiment with it as an FPE once I have some in the ground.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
borage is a good companion because it brings SOOOO many bees. they just love it.

a lot of the plants we can use have multiple uses. both for gardening and your personal health.

dock is supposed to be really good, and ive talked to people who use it quite often. i dont have it here personally so i cant say much about it.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the pest control benefit comes from insects some are hoverflies, parasitic wasps, ladybugs, praying mantis, crab spiders, jumping spiders, etc......which are attracted to these plants flowers.

bees are pollinators.

neongreen

Veteran
Perhaps not with tomatoes, since those are wind pollinated...

What jay is getting at I think, is that the more insects (and variety of species) you attract, the stronger your garden's ecosystem/food-web will be. The insects, plants, microbial and animal life interact in sometimes not so obvious ways, and by attracting the smaller critters, you improve other aspects of your garden's health.

Like if you attract lots of invertebrates, that in turn attracts birds and small mammals, who in turn fertilize the soil as well as helping control pests, and of course the pollinators, although they may not be pollinating anything that you are directly interested in, but they are still playing their part quietly in the background.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well i wasn't talking about that exactly lol, but that's the whole big picture. and what everyone should strive for, or as much as possible given your environment. and all that diversity will eventually help you because of all the food and dank pot you grow :)

foggy

Trouble

Trouble

Hello Jay, i know it is maybe not the wright place to post this but, because we are trying to use only organics it could be a good thing to post any opinions on this few photos i took today.

It is since a few weeks a lot of leaves are turning yellow and finally fall of
any one have an opinion what i should do?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
are you growing in the ground? or what soil? what fertilizers have you used up to this point?

im sure they will love some plain ol compost tea though. compost, water and molasses.

foggy

are you growing in the ground? or what soil? what fertilizers have you used up to this point?

im sure they will love some plain ol compost tea though. compost, water and molasses.

They are growing in buckets of 25l. with my own made soil with leave compost and soil.
The rare is the others are doing great, they all get nettle extract and yarrow extract as said in my previous posts
I gave them some old horse compost before i left on holiday so she could recover but instead it is getting worse.