What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant Based Diet

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
billy_big_bud! thank you for your kind words :)

Besan is chickpea flour Sher brand from Paramba Fashion and Grocery
Green beans from Nijiya

Add water to make a batter. Seems to hold its texture well cooks evenly and quickly without burning easily. More protein than grain flour like wheat or oats and more starch than other legumes or beans. Baked at 150 C (300 F) covered in a glass dish on a baking sheet turning heat off around 45-60 min and waiting until cool works ok. So does pan frying or deep frying although some oils do not cook or fry well and taste better raw. Making pictures is something blogging or creating a coherent concise recipe grow diary or soil building tutorial is another :)

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
This one has mainly besan with some Upvas fasting mix a little organic jasmine brown rice and garam masala with coconut oil.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

G

From my Urology Doc to me, to you all; new awakenings, previously discounted or dismissed, but now looked to for better longevity.. Too late for some, but not for others.

Dr. Joel Fuhrman- numerous books and videos.

ChrisBeatCancer.org

'Radical Remission & Surviving Cancer Against All Odds' (Kelley Ann Turner)

(T. Colin Campbell) 'The China Study'

G

From my Urology Doc to me, to you all; new awakenings, previously discounted or dismissed, but now looked to for better longevity.. Too late for some, but not for others.

Dr. Joel Fuhrman- numerous books and videos.

ChrisBeatCancer.org

'Radical Remission & Surviving Cancer Against All Odds' (Kelley Ann Turner)

(T. Colin Campbell) 'The China Study'

Turns out chrisbeatcancer.org is for sale. Apologies for posting a vacated domain.

I was certain we found something related the other day, so I'll go back to searching, and see if I can dig up the pertinent info for that specific site.

G

Here ya' go; it's, more correctly...

chrisbeatcancer.com

.coms confused with .orgs has back-fired on me in the past...

Apologies, once again...

Green Squall

In the spirit of this thread, I've decided to prep a few plant based meals for the next few days. This dish is inspired from Ras Kitchen and is basically any vegetables you have laying around - cooked until nice and soft - and served with a starch. In this instance, I will serve the first meal with sweet potatoes second with rice noodles and third with regular spuds.

picture.php

G

You're welcome.

Now that meat eating borders on toxic intake for me, I may have to modify my moniker here, to remain more truthful. Maybe 'former moose eater' or 'occasional moose nibbler.' Either one of those might be better suited.

6 months ago, hell, 8 days ago, I probably wouldn't have given this thread a second thought, let alone yesum's link re. the broccoli sprouts and their apparent magical medical properties...

Just goes to show that, if given proper motive, those of us who are concretely fixed in our ways, can still learn a thing or 2.

Good thread. Hopefully folks don't require the more abrupt rude awakenings to get their interest stirred.

Green Squall

Is experiencing nausea a common when switching to a plant based diet? I don't remember this happening last time. Looking it up, it could be low iron or even from the gut microbiome changing from the sudden increase in fiber.

G

Is experiencing nausea a common when switching to a plant based diet? I don't remember this happening last time. Looking it up, it could be low iron or even from the gut microbiome changing from the sudden increase in fiber.

I haven't researched that myself, but over the last week, with increased veggie intake, and decreased meat intake, despite having had a 'gut of steel' for decades, my stomach area, to the left and below the sternum, has had an occasional/rare sense of tightness or stress/stiffness to it. Not constant, by any means. But definitely present.

Green Squall

I haven't researched that myself, but over the last week, with increased veggie intake, and decreased meat intake, despite having had a 'gut of steel' for decades, my stomach area, to the left and below the sternum, has had an occasional/rare sense of tightness or stress/stiffness to it. Not constant, by any means. But definitely present.

The gut microbiome continues to fascinate me and I feel like researchers have only reached the tip of the iceberg in understanding it. I'm no expert here, but symptoms like we're both experiencing could be a kind of detox where the "bad" bacteria are dying off and the "good" bacteria are multiplying. There's no doubt that our beneficial gut bacteria love fiber, especially those found in pre-biotic foods, so that's the theory I'm leaning towards. There's good reason why our gut is referred to as our "second brain."

imiubu

Concerning gut microbiome, kidney stones and/ or strange unexplained aches/ pains,
maybe take a look into Oxalates when considering a plant based lifestyle?

I am in no way trying to dissuade anyone from choosing a plant based lifestyle, just offering up some info.

What are Oxalates and Why are They a Concern for Kidney Disease Patients?
https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/what-are-oxalate-kidney-stones

"Oxalates are a natural substance in many foods. They bind to calcium during digestion in the stomach and intestines and leave the body in stool. Oxalate that is not bound to calcium travels as a waste product from the blood to the kidneys where it leaves the body in the urine. There are many different types of kidney stones, but 8 out of 10 stones are calcium oxalate stones. If there is too much oxalate and too little liquid in the urine, calcium oxalate fragments create crystals. As the crystals begin to increase in number, they stick to one another to form a larger crystal known as a kidney stone.
Kidney stones are a big concern for those who have or are at risk for kidney disease. The process of stone formation may cause damage to renal tissue, thus decreasing renal function.
..."

This Doctor has an interesting life story concerning her discovery of Oxalates and how they were effecting her health negatively.
https://www.jillcarnahan.com/2017/11/06/oxalates-101-oxalates-messing-gut/

"Oxalates are compounds that naturally exist in many food items. Often found in food considered healthy – such as spinach and almonds – oxalates can cause digestive issues.
Oxalates often give foods their bitter taste and are thought to be compounds meant to protect the plant from predators, such as ourselves (they aren’t doing a very good job, are they?)
The problem with oxalates is we cannot digest them. They pass through the gastrointestinal tract and can contribute to common gut issues such as constipation, gas, bloating, diarrhea, and more.
Oxalates also bind to metal ions and form precipitates, which can cause problems. In the case of calcium, this combination can result in kidney stones.

Most importantly, it’s a good idea to be aware of your oxalate intake. Foods that are highest in oxalates include:

1. Sesame seeds
  2. Spinach
  3. Rhubarb
  4. Rice bran
  5. Bran flakes
  6. Almonds
  7. Miso soup
  8. Navy beans
  9. Beets
  10. Dark chocolate
  11. Berries
  12. Potato chips
  13. French fries
  14. Nut butters
You might be starting to get worried I’m going to tell you that you shouldn’t eat these foods, so let me cut right to the chase…
High oxalate foods are not a problem for everyone.

I’m not telling you cut these out of your diet, I’m only bringing to your attention an important factor that could explain your mysterious digestive issues. Especially for those with healthy, nutrient dense diets, oxalates could be the answer to your gut problems you’ve been looking for!
..."

Last edited: