What's new

Pirates "Targeted Pollination" Method

Ya I am planning on doing this, I only have 20 blue glass viles right now. The kind of vile you would put some oil into. I need a bunch more, I think I want as good of a pollen stash as a seed stash. Seems like saving pollen is as good for backcrossing than having to grow out an old mother. Well, I really don't know what I am talking about but it is up in my head someplace. I usually put some dry rice in the vile and let the pollen sit open out of the freezer for a few days. It will mold and stick like made if not dried, then shake the rice around from time to time. Just using tweezers to grab one rice grain can do the job or using a paintbrush but that is so much pollen.

I can't wait to get a pollen stash, I really think trading grains of rice worth of pollen could be very interesting. Saves time from growing out seeds to make crosses, less suspicious and well..........just bad ass. You can already see the father that it came from, I think people have neglected males so much. I had a really decent pollen stash, but someone went through the freezer when I was out and well.....by by. I like collecting pollen more than trimming and I like that very much. I could collect pollen all day long, it is just a really fun thing for me to do. It is a bit like a lottery, did you get the full sack load or did it spill?

I recently learned that pollen can and will go bad if it can't breath while being stored in the fridge,salt shakers can be used to store pollen to avoid spoilage.
You can shake pollen right on to buds.

If you only have a very small amount of pollen to work with,the Q-tip method can work against you,because most of the pollen will stay on the q-tip and not transfer to the pistols.However the q-tip method is a surgical approach and far less likely to give off stray pollen and give rogue seeds.This thread is about targeted pollination and q-tips are good for that.

sero!

awesome thread pirate, very insipiring. Really enjoyed the reading, thanks for sharing your work!

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Very good thread Pirate and and scary at the same time! It almost feels like you have been standing over my shoulder watching me make seeds! We seem to do it exactly the same right down to the q-tips or small painting brush used for transferring the pollen! Great crosses also and I will be using this method and my male chamber(old frigde) to make some seeds this fall. Great info and tutorial again.

4 males currently gettin milked!

BrainDead(2 Phenos)
Medicine Woman
and a Snowdog from Zoolander

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
Thanks everyone.

Huge update coming within a few days. I popped 60 seeds of the 15 strains I made and tomorrow I am cloning so I can sex em to find the Girls.

I've taken a shit load of photos and will upload soon.

.......:Bolt:

onegreenday

Veteran
Ya I am planning on doing this, I only have 20 blue glass viles right now. The kind of vile you would put some oil into. I need a bunch more, I think I want as good of a pollen stash as a seed stash. Seems like saving pollen is as good for backcrossing than having to grow out an old mother. Well, I really don't know what I am talking about but it is up in my head someplace. I usually put some dry rice in the vile and let the pollen sit open out of the freezer for a few days. It will mold and stick like made if not dried, then shake the rice around from time to time. Just using tweezers to grab one rice grain can do the job or using a paintbrush but that is so much pollen.

I can't wait to get a pollen stash, I really think trading grains of rice worth of pollen could be very interesting. Saves time from growing out seeds to make crosses, less suspicious and well..........just bad ass. You can already see the father that it came from, I think people have neglected males so much. I had a really decent pollen stash, but someone went through the freezer when I was out and well.....by by. I like collecting pollen more than trimming and I like that very much. I could collect pollen all day long, it is just a really fun thing for me to do. It is a bit like a lottery, did you get the full sack load or did it spill?

yah I always wondered why the seed merchants did not sell pollen.
sounds like good business.
what's your method of collecting?
I have an idea to wrap the whole plant in a clear plastic bag
(open at the top) and let the male drop the pollen right into the bag
that way no pollen would get scattered and mixed with the pollen
from the next plant. I had 3 males under a flouro dropping pollen
and i noticed the mixing between males.
You gotto watch that or you won't get the true cross you want.

Oh yah make sure your plant matter is dry and don't put green plant
matter into a plastic bag cause it will mold up if not total dry.

sero!

hi pirate, just a question (stupid, maybe) :pointlaug

if i´m going to buy ak 47 seeds (your kind words about this strain convinced me!) this must from serious seeds, right?

or other place?

thank you!

Pirate

Veteran
You can get the AK47s from many seed banks. Personally, I would go with original Serious Seeds and not an F2 or other knock off.

Check out Seed Boutique. They had em in stock last I checked.

Pirate

Veteran
I'm Quitting Smoking Monday Morning !!!:yoinks::joint:

Hold me accountable and wish me luck.

Dreading the impending deadline but I MUST do it.

I'm killing myself !!

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smoking cigarettes..?

If so good to hear and good luck my friend i hate cancer sticks...

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This last batch I made.........I didn't even remove the plants from the room or cover the buds in any way. I shut off all fans during the dark period - Did my Q-tip dipping thing........applied that to the buds I wanted pollinated - let that sit for 4 hours........Sprayed with water and BAM...........I have seeds developing. No baggie or nothin. No sign of Rogue pollen either.

so i could pollinate them right before they go into the dark period(in another cab) and when they come out 12 hours later i can wash them off all over and put them back into the flower cab?

the only reason i ask is that i know you put yours in another tent for 2 days. but my other cab just has cfls, and i didnt want to keep them under cfls after they were under a more powerful hps

thanks alot, this is alot of fun, and i cant wait to get started, my males are about to pop!

BigLaughter

Hi Pirate.

I got a question since Im learning and is new to this. You mentioned above you got 540 seeds from 2 runs. Amazing....Was that from pollinating the entire plants in those two run´s or just the lower parts???
You said that water neutralize pollen.So its not so important to keep the same brush to the same pollen as long as one wash it under water and let it dry before one use it next time then?
How many plants did you pollinate in those two run´s?

Thanks for a very good tutorial......This is the kind of info newbee´s as me needs. Keep posting man......

Pirate

Veteran
Hi Pirate.

I got a question since I'm learning and is new to this. You mentioned above you got 540 seeds from 2 runs. Amazing....Was that from pollinating the entire plants in those two run´s or just the lower parts???
You said that water neutralize pollen.So its not so important to keep the same brush to the same pollen as long as one wash it under water and let it dry before one use it next time then?
How many plants did you pollinate in those two run´s?

Thanks for a very good tutorial......This is the kind of info newbee´s as me needs. Keep posting man......
Hey thanks BigLaughter !!
540 seeds from 2 runs of pollinating LOWER POPCORN BUDS only. :yoinks: I don't remember how many plants I pollinated to get that 540 but I am guessing around 12 to 15 max.

You can use the same brush to pollinate another run LATER in time. wash the paint brush with water let it dry and have at it.

Pollen left out for days or even hours can become sterile so.............don't worry about residuals left over in the brush if that's what you were asking about.

Ever heard the term KISS ?? (Keep it simple stupid) No I'm not calling ya stupid). I keep it simple by using a Q-Tip. Dip the tip/ Pollinate / trash the tip. NEXT !!

Hope that helps.

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
pirate good thread... going to get people to make some interesting crosses... bbl peace..

sack

BigLaughter

Thanks Pirate.

Yes, that was the answeres i was looking for.Good to get the answeres from ppl that know how its done so misstakes aint done..Thanks..

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
are you sure pollen becomes sterile after a few hours/days? all the pollen ive ever collected was dusted off of the leaves after the sacs opened. i dont watch males like i do my females so the pollen was out on the leaves min 3-4 days and it still works.

also why do you use so much pollen per budsite? i dont think you need that much i just touch the qtip to the pollen and then tap it over the budsite, some faint barely noticable grains of pollen come out and bam seeds.

anyway nice tutorial for the n00bs.

onegreenday

Veteran
the q-tip is ok but some pollen soaks into the cotton
and it's large for tight areas;
I nice fine tip paint brush (like for paint by #)
makes the pollen last longer for future use (store well)