What's new

Pirates "Targeted Pollination" Method

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
Great technique, Pirate! I just made some beans, though I am not as ambitous as you are. I had some KC Brains Brains Damage clones and I germed some Thai x Chronic but only wound up with a male. So, I made some beans. Harvested the plant last night, and this seed was removed for a pic.
Thanks 420 !! Thats a mighty fine lookin bean ya got there.

Nice color. Nice cross.

Quaze

very nice pictures great explanaision thanks PIRATE all info about polination is welcome

I am doing a poli myself with the Quaze one of these days so thanks PIRATE

keep the grass growing !!

Pirate

Veteran
My Latest Batch.

465 seeds from lower popcorn sized buds:

I pollinate.....Wait for maturity.......Cut off the seeded bud........place in paper bag to dry

picture.php

Break up the seeded bud to extract the BOUNTY !!

picture.php

Place them into baggies for future use:

picture.php

I've made 540 seeds total in the last 2 runs combined. But now I have a problem.

Who woulda thunk that I wouldn't know.....................

WHAT I SHOULD GROW NEXT !!!!!
.....:wallbash:

2stoge

Hey Pirate, very nice tutorial, just one question for you though. How do you keep the temperature in check when you have the males into the closet without ventilation? Thanks for sharing this tutorial and your grow with us. Its has been inspirational.

Pirate

Veteran
Thanks 2stoge !!

I'm not sure what ya mean. When I have a male in my main flower room that I want to keep. I let it flower with the girls until it has a few days before the sacs open. Then I move it to a closet / grow tent / cabinet or whatever to finish. There isn't a heat issue because I use several CFLs to finish off the male. No HID.

Is that what your looking for ??

I even did another experiment recently.

I took a whole malke flowering branch from the main plant. The sacs were not open yet. I stuck that branch in a glass of water and stuck that in my closet with a CFL light on 12/12. The branch stayed alive and within 5 days I was scraping pollen from my plate.

My conclusion was:
You don't need to keep a whole flowering male plant of ya just want a little pollen. You can start the whole plant and then ditch all but a small cut branch to do it. \

2stoge

Damn your fast! I was asking because I stuck a 20watt cfl without ventilation in a cardboard box for seedlings and it got over 98 degrees. Though as I think of it now, it was a pretty tiny box (1.5ft x 1.5ft x 2ft) which was probably the reason for such heat build up. How big is the closet you use? Thanks for taking you time out to help out. Much Respect for your grow! Big Love for the help!

Stevius

First of all... thank you for all the great info and some good pics.

I have a question. What would happen If you would took one pollen and put it on one bud and then take some other pollen and put it on the other bud (the same plant)... would you get 2 different type of seeds on a single plant? or it doesnt work that way?

2stoge

Thanks Pirate. I asked because in the past I had put a 20watt cfl in a box that was not ventilated for seedlings and the temperature went up to over 98degrees. Now that I think of it though it was a tiny box (2ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft) so that was probably the reason for such heat build-up. What size closet are you using? Thanks for taking your time to help out.

2stoge

Damn sorry for the double post but my internet must be tweeking cause my last response wasn't showing up so I had to write it again but now I see it did get posted. Go figure. I guess Ill just walk myself to the plank and feed the sharks.

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I have a question. What would happen If you would took one pollen and put it on one bud and then take some other pollen and put it on the other bud (the same plant)... would you get 2 different type of seeds on a single plant? or it doesnt work that way?

Have u read this whole thread because thats what it is about target pollenation and the answer to your question is yes you do get 2 different types of seeds...

Pirate

Veteran
Damn your fast! I was asking because I stuck a 20watt cfl without ventilation in a cardboard box for seedlings and it got over 98 degrees. Though as I think of it now, it was a pretty tiny box (1.5ft x 1.5ft x 2ft) which was probably the reason for such heat build up. How big is the closet you use? Thanks for taking you time out to help out. Much Respect for your grow! Big Love for the help!
I've used a little cabinet that is approx. the same size as your box. I open the top to let heat out.

You don't start the flowering of the male in the box. Start the flowering in with the females. watch closely as the "Nut Sacs" develop. When they start to get nice and fat.......remove the male and place it into your box or closet. Now it will only be in there for a few days to a week until it sheds. You can pinch off a few sacs now and then when its still with the girls and squeeze it between your fingers to check for pollen. Take the sac away from the females when ya squeeze it and then spray your hands with water after squeezing it to inactivate any pollen that might exist. Be careful not to misjudge and leave it with the girls to long or you'll have far more seed than you wanted. LOL !!

Ya don't need to worry about light leaks or a screwed up light schedule (withing reason) with a male. The male won't turn hermie on ya. I've abused the hell out of em.

Short answer:
Open or crack the top of your box to allow heat to escape.

Pirate

Veteran

Thanks Stevius !!

Benji answered your question. Thats the whole point of this method.

I recently pollinated one plant with 5 different pollens.

Keep in mind though. If ya do this your gonna need to be EXTRA cautious not to mix the pollens up by air or even your breath. Use a seperate brush / baggie / Q tip or whatever for ever different bud you'll pollinate. Try to use buds that are far apart from each other or you could get one bud that has mixed seeds and you won't know what ya got.

master shake

Hey nice work Pirate! Hope they turn out dank! Got a question, do your mk x satori and mk x POG seeds look the same? Right now I've got a girl with different seeds, I pollinated her myself but then few days after that another girl in my room busted a banana and I know some pollen got on the other girl. Can you tell a difference in seeds from different fathers but the same mother, or do they all look identical?

Thanks!

edit: well just read through the whole thread, sorry should have read first, let me verify...different fathers on the same mother give different looking seeds, didn't really see it explicitly stated, so just trying to make sure.

Pirate

Veteran
Hey nice work Pirate! Hope they turn out dank! Got a question, do your mk x satori and mk x POG seeds look the same? Right now I've got a girl with different seeds, I pollinated her myself but then few days after that another girl in my room busted a banana and I know some pollen got on the other girl. Can you tell a difference in seeds from different fathers but the same mother, or do they all look identical?

Thanks!

edit: well just read through the whole thread, sorry should have read first, let me verify...different fathers on the same mother give different looking seeds, didn't really see it explicitly stated, so just trying to make sure.
I have had different fathers give different (Looking) seeds on the same plant. But I have also had the same plant give up seeds that look identical even though different pollen was used.

I wouldn't judge based on seed appearance though
. If ya used different pollen on 2 or 3 different bud sites of the same plant.........The seeds will carry the genes of that female + the specific donor male for that bud.

Even if the look identical...........they will be different.

G

guest 77721

I just pollinated my LUI and Shiskaberry with Thai-Lights pollen.

Great advice! Keep up the awesome work Pirate!!!!

Pirate

Veteran
Thanks Buddy !!

After my last pollination I was sorting seeds and ended up with one left over that I didn't know what it was. Instead of chucking it.........I threw it out in the flower garden and 7 days later..........It sprouted !! (it was cold ground)

Kind of a test in viability. But I will just let it go and see what I get our of it. I have no idea what it is. (AK47 x Something)

I'm getting ready to pop 50 self made seeds.

whodair

Veteran
did my first target shooting last night. my male is g13xhaze from dopeseeds.com, crossed to:

heirloom sk#2
rez chemdd
soma nycd
white widow
kali mist
white rhino

thanks for all of the good info

Pirate

Veteran
did my first target shooting last night. my male is g13xhaze from dopeseeds.com, crossed to:

heirloom sk#2
rez chemdd
soma nycd
white widow
kali mist
white rhino

thanks for all of the good info
Cool. Keep us informed and start a thread. They sound like some good ones.

I popped 60 self made crosses and today is day #2. I'm going to check on em right now to see if they came up yet.

I'm debating whether to start a whole new thread or continue this one with the ones I made. It would follow nice to show them growing here. That would be a real start to finish thread.

From pollen to seed to bud to hash to bong !!

whodair

Veteran
forgot one more strain. RKS from the reserve priv bank. (dont wanna spam icmag) i havent even grown it out once and im already givin her the injection!

pirate when can i return these ladies to my flower room? wait 48 hrs and rinse? will that be enough time for the pollen to work?

late bro

Ya I am planning on doing this, I only have 20 blue glass viles right now. The kind of vile you would put some oil into. I need a bunch more, I think I want as good of a pollen stash as a seed stash. Seems like saving pollen is as good for backcrossing than having to grow out an old mother. Well, I really don't know what I am talking about but it is up in my head someplace. I usually put some dry rice in the vile and let the pollen sit open out of the freezer for a few days. It will mold and stick like made if not dried, then shake the rice around from time to time. Just using tweezers to grab one rice grain can do the job or using a paintbrush but that is so much pollen.

I can't wait to get a pollen stash, I really think trading grains of rice worth of pollen could be very interesting. Saves time from growing out seeds to make crosses, less suspicious and well..........just bad ass. You can already see the father that it came from, I think people have neglected males so much. I had a really decent pollen stash, but someone went through the freezer when I was out and well.....by by. I like collecting pollen more than trimming and I like that very much. I could collect pollen all day long, it is just a really fun thing for me to do. It is a bit like a lottery, did you get the full sack load or did it spill?

Latest posts

Latest posts