What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Pirates Cave" (and a Perpetual Sea Of Green)

L~B

Ahoy thar mi matie.... sorry thar Ya see we be hauled out right now.....refittin the da ship ya see? I been in the bilge muckin about. Just a patch till the new flagship is launched.. Captn you have a tight ship.... and yes I dive not in long wile though...lets just say this year I'm getting wet I got very burned out diving but I feel the urge to "get wet"... take care

4 bells and all is well....ding.....ding....ding......ding

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
Well go git yur feet wet LB. The oceans are calling !!

I got an update coming later tonight.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Pirate: Lovin' the threadage bro....yo-ho, yo-ho a Pirate's life for me! Hope you don't mind me sitting in the crow's nest checkin things out....
peace!

L

LolaGal

What's up matey? Went ashore and found me a sweet green CFL for the grow bilge....lol. My question is this....it's got a few areas visible in the coil twist that are more whitish than green, do you think this is a potential for light leaks? When lit, looks normal green color all over.. I guess it's the interior coating of the bulb that shows whitish spots..? Anyway, just wondering if I'm exposing plants to non green lighting? Whatcha think?

Lola

Pirate

Veteran
What's up matey? Went ashore and found me a sweet green CFL for the grow bilge....lol. My question is this....it's got a few areas visible in the coil twist that are more whitish than green, do you think this is a potential for light leaks? When lit, looks normal green color all over.. I guess it's the interior coating of the bulb that shows whitish spots..? Anyway, just wondering if I'm exposing plants to non green lighting? Whatcha think?

Lola
Hey Lolagal,
LOL.....I had the same questions when I first started to use the bulbs but no one to ask. I tested ONE bulb first before being confident with it. Now its been over 6 months and I have had ZERO problems from the "whiter" area of the twisted glass. As long as its not strait up CLEAR you'll be fine. I use 4 of them in my room.

It looks to me like the glass is strait when they color it but it stretches to a whiter color when twisted.

I do look through the bulbs on the shelf at the store and try to find the darkest green I can. But again, Not had a problem and been through many harvests with them. No nanners, No nuts.

Your good !!

Pirate

Veteran
You and the gal were talking about green CFL's where did u find those ??????
Home Depot. 6 bucks. They are the shit for visiting the garden at night. Equals 60 watts of light. They are green CFLs. I work in my garden every single day under green light. The flashlights are to much of a PITA for my situation.

Here is one in action
picture.php

Hamm3r

Man...that is one kick ass setup you have there Pirate!
Do you use any carbon scrubbers? That cave must reek...in a good way :)

L

LolaGal

I got mine at Wally World...It was in the regular lightbulb section.....It's called the Feit Electric brand Party Bulb. 60 watt CFL has a 8,000 hour bulb life & 2 year guarantee for $5.24. They also had them in blue, red, yellow...perfect for a "party" they say...lol.

Pirate, I too, looked carefully through all the green ones to get the most perfect green bulb I could. I agree, it must be the twisting that makes them look whiter in spots.

I also bought one of those little adapter electric socket light screw in thingy. It has a little chain, so now I can find that in the dark if needed, and also have another place/breaker to plug something into the ceiling light circuit.

Made some "ho-made" cloning gel today. Got this idea...whaddaya think? I took some sterile K-Y jelly (water soluble), and added some powdered rooting hormone. This made the perfect cloning gel, which I applied to the lower branches of my mother plant.

I will see how this works on root development on the stem WHILE the stem is still attached to the mother. I think this may make cloning easier, since mother will keep stems in great shape, while hopefully rooting becomes favorable on the stem surface.

Anyway K-Y jelly & rooting hormone makes a great cloning jel for pennies. I plan on mixing up tiny batches as needed...

Lola

JACKtheREFFER

No Longer a Human Watering Can
Veteran
Made some "ho-made" cloning gel today. Got this idea...whaddaya think? I took some sterile K-Y jelly (water soluble), and added some powdered rooting hormone. This made the perfect cloning gel, which I applied to the lower branches of my mother plant.

I will see how this works on root development on the stem WHILE the stem is still attached to the mother. I think this may make cloning easier, since mother will keep stems in great shape, while hopefully rooting becomes favorable on the stem surface.

Anyway K-Y jelly & rooting hormone makes a great cloning jel for pennies. I plan on mixing up tiny batches as needed...

Lola

interesting >>>>> you arent going to do anything eles to encourage root growth besides the gel>>>> IE wrapping to keep dark and moist or airlayering around the stem

Pirate

Veteran
I also bought one of those little adapter electric socket light screw in thingy. It has a little chain, so now I can find that in the dark if needed, and also have another place/breaker to plug something into the ceiling light circuit.

Lola
I have my light plugged into a wireless switch placed right by the door. This way I can sweep my hand along the wall and switch it on at any time. Usually in pitch dark.

Now this clone gel is an interesting experiment. Make sure you report back with your results. I am a HUGE fan of anything DIY and alternative methods as you can see by the construction of my room and equipment. You may be onto something here. "The Lola Method"

You heard it here first folks !!

L

LolaGal

interesting >>>>> you arent going to do anything eles to encourage root growth besides the gel>>>> IE wrapping to keep dark and moist or airlayering around the stem

No, not right now, just gel.

I may try some air layering if I see more signs of rooting. I figure to make the stem favorable to rooting for a few days, then may try some rooting medium, etc.

I started this yesterday, and did note some differences to stem structure under 10X magnification today when I reapplied.

I'm also painting the stems of a few fan leaves just for fun! Wouldn't it be a hoot to clone some plants from some fan leaves? haha, they are so expendable.

Well, that's a short summary of my latest cloning techniques, Me & Pirate love these ingenious little ways to spend less, but get more! Pirate was first I saw to use the green CFLs, I loved the idea!!

Pirate

Veteran
Man...that is one kick ass setup you have there Pirate!
Do you use any carbon scrubbers? That cave must reek...in a good way :)
Thanks !!

I do not have a scrubber because it is not needed. My nearest neighbor is 100 yards or more away. Plus............where I live, everyone grows or they usually don't care if someone else does, so it matters not. However, I am gonna install a a couple filters (already have em sitting in the garage) since ya never know who might come aknockin.:yoinks:Or who might come asnoopin. Just haven't got around to it.

And yes..........The room does smell in a very good way. I can smell it out in my yard at times.

L~B

"Most of my money is spent on Boats, Women & Grog...... The rest I squander"......AAARRRGGGGG !! ........ This Pirate better not have children!!!