What's new

"Pirates Cave" (and a Perpetual Sea Of Green)

Smiler

Just read through the thread, people like yourself are the reason mankind left the caves and conquered new worlds. Awe inspiring.

Gold123

He was surely blessed this time and so were you. Take some video of him if you can and save it to show him later if he back slides to remind him. Even cell phone video if you have nothing else.
Put him to work trimming.
Peace

LoKey

glad to hear your good news, best wishes

and like others have said awesome setup, your thread gave me a few hints and tips thanks ;)

Haven't stopped by the cave in a while.

Glad to hear your brother is out and soon-to-be cancer free. Shouldn't have been in that prison in the first place - there are better places for addicts.

Speaking of addicts, I need to drop my smoking habit as well. Granted, I don't smoke all that much (around 5 a day, two packs lasts me a week), but shit - I've been buying two packs a week for the past 3 or 4 years. Shit adds up. Adds up on my health too - can barely run a mile anymore, 3 years ago I was running 4 miles a day. Anyway, I'm blabbering on, glad to hear things are working out okay on the life front. Tuned in for more cave adventures.

deepchunk

the cave is lookin good pirate ............... and your word of caution i to have been there and hope i never return to that living hell hope all is well with your brother and you ............dc keep it green

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
good to hear your brothers a free man, and sad to hear about the meth sh1t. meth is the scourge of all drugs.

whodat79

First the usual compliments and small talk - Ok, What a thread. Amazing. Reading it kinda gives me a sense of who you are. It's awesome to see how close you are with your setup. I think everyone should have that feeling. Plus, the highs and lows that you've gone through during this thread. I laugh when you laugh, and say a prayer when I think you need it. You come across as a good guy. I appreciate that.
I'm glad everything is working out for you and your family.

Second, a question, if you're up to it. Can you give us some more detail on your reservoir and watering system? how many different tanks do you keep? and what are the different nut levels for each one.

Thanks in advance. Keep up the AWESOME WORK!!!! you know you could charge for tours... ;)

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Pirate, all I can say is wow! This is the first time I saw your cave, amazing. The whole time reading it I looked like a little kid in the toy store.

Just one question for ya though.

How do you ever manage to go on vacation??????????

egga

Pirate, all i can do is mirror what everyone else has been saying throughout this whole thread.

Inspirational
, i discovered your thread and icmag randomly by searching for sog info, i started reading and have read all your tuts over and over, i have learnt so much, thank you!

you've taken the time to write all this down for us to learn from and it must have taken ages so 'much love' for doing that, i wouldnt have been able to plan my new room without a lot of the aero info found here. love all the pics and the extremelly informative narration, ive had a few good belly laughs along the way.

dont want to lick ass to much but your a good man pirate, glad to hear your bro is doing ok and sounds like he's loving the second chance, not alot of people get that. im sure he's very grateful to have a bro with so much compassion and heart!

ok, i do have a quick question regarding your mortar tray system if you dont mind, no rush for an answer thou mate, ive also been toying with building a frame to size and lining with foam insulation and pond liner (podracer style) but not sure if this will hold well enough.

anyway.

-- i live in the UK and have found a mixing tray that looks like it would suit my needs (mini sprinkler cheap way) and i wanted to get a few and build a similar setup to you, i only have about 5.7ft (ish)worth of total height to play with so i need to be carefull with height of system etc,

ok, i have a couple of planned options really, but my question is, how deep where your mortar trays?

and did you have them ala diy aquamist (no seperate rez) or did they have a res? and did you notice any major difference/problems in growth with a combined rez (aero/dwc stylee)? i know you said mixing nutes was a pain with the amount you had but i will only have about 3or4 of these in my room, so no big drama at the mo. im sure il mess up a lot during thuis venture.

if an all inclusive rez will work (if depth allows) then it means i free up more height to work with, i can have them closer to the ground to free up growth space. for some reason thou i do like the whole idea of a serperate rez, more room for roots plus i like building stuff. and mixing concoctions.

hmm im waffling a bit so i will stop now.

ok to sum up

- how deep are your mortar mixing tray systems and did they have a seperate rez?

- how high are your pvc supports with the net on?

- do you still use rapid rooter plugs to start seeds/cuttings in? is this a problem when transplanting to aero system? ive not used these before but they look crumbly.

many thanks
and sorry for super long post,

Egga

Last edited:
F

flat5th

Hey egga,

Pirate hasn't been around much. Probably exploring new tunnels in his cave.

I can answer this question though:

- do you still use rapid rooter plugs to start seeds/cuttings in? is this a problem when transplanting to aero system? ive not used these before but they look crumbly.

Rapid rooters aren't crumbly at all. They are very spongy and quite resilient.

They work great for cuttings and seeds, i imagine pirate still uses them. I, myself am trying Sure To Grow plugs for the first time. So far so good.

Rapid rooters do leave a little bit of debris in the aero systems. keep your pump in a filter bag and add an inline filter before the sprayers and it'll be no problem.

Hope that helps!
Fifth.