What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pipedream"s 150w Tiny Bubbler System

G

gunnit

What are the Dimensions for your cab? and will a 39"W x 71"H x 22"D work?

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
:rasta:

gunnit -

As stated on page one of the thread..."Inside it measures 20.5” x 33” x 65” with the outside dimensions just slightly bigger."

For sure your size will work as well. Keep in mind that I'm already pushing the limits of a single 150, and these days I often supplement it with a couple of CFL's. With as much room as you'll have, you might consider making 2 chambers so you have a seperate one for veg and flower. Of course if like me you are only growing for yourself, you'll already be producing more than you could possibly smoke.

Throw up a picture here or in the "150w HPS Club" thread. Lets see whats going on.

sug -

Since I had all those male & genetic problems a couple of months back where I wound up chopping and dumping everything, my wife threw her patio tomatoes in the box to finish off the season. She promised to have them out by Thanks Giving Day. So if all goes well, we should be up and running with some nice fresh Jamaican genetics in a week or so.

:wave:

Last edited:

sugabear_II

Veteran
Pipedream said:

sug -

Since I had all those male & genetic problems a couple of months back where I wound up chopping and dumping everything, my wife threw her patio tomatoes in the box to finish off the season. She promised to have them out by Thanks Giving Day. So if all goes well, we should be up and running with some nice fresh Jamaican genetics in a week or so.

Pipedream - you better build her her own cabint for the veggies or else she'll never give your's back...

did you build out that ozone generator you were planning on making? I'd love to hear about it.

-suga

Pipedream

Veteran
sug, - and everyone else HEED MY WARNING !

Oh I built it alright, and it worked for sure. It even looked fairly cool as well. However, I'll never recommend them again. Here's what happened.....

Whenever folks brought up the topic, I warned them about using them in the living area of homes because of the health risk. But, I said they were fine in a separate isolated space. Well, I took my own advice and figured since my box was in the garage it would be fine. Fat chance! Ozone is one of the strongest oxidizers out there. And, if there is any moisture in the air and ferrous metal nearby, you have a formula for disaster. It only took about two weeks till everything in the garage started to pit and rust!!!!! Luckily I caught it early and nothing of value was affected. Those items closest to the generator got it the worse. I’m glad that they were only garden tools and other junk of little value.

The most annoying thing was the way I discovered the problem. I’ve been working on restoring an antique motorcycle for almost 7 years now. (yeah, I know I’m slower than shit). I had the gas tank sitting on the work table right next to the grow-box. I had finished all the metal work on the tank and sanded it down to clean bare metal getting ready for the primer. I didn’t go into the garage for 4 or 5 days, and when I did, the tank was covered with thin coating of red rust dust. I don’t know if you’ve ever worked with bare metal where you wipe it with a damp cloth and then hit it with a torch. You get an instant flash coating of rust in a matter of a second or two. Well that’s just what it looked like.

I don’t know, I might have just made it way too powerful, but I really don’t have any way to test Ozone PPM concentration in the air. Oh well, live and learn. I guess its time to build a new carbon scrubber.

DiscoDuck

Hey Pipedream, I'm using BC Grow, Boost and Bloom. I'm a little curious about the amount to use. Half strength....quarter?

Pipedream

Veteran
Disco -

I never look at the numbers on any nute label. I always mix it according to PPM readings on my meter. Young plants start off at about 200, and move up to 500-600. By the time they are on the flower nutes and nearing full maturity they are usually pushing 900 PPM

stub

Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow/Bloom

Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow/Bloom

Disco

Are the nutes you are using(Botanicare Pure Blend Pro)? If so I had problems getting the ph to stabilize unless I had about 600 ppm using tap water. I think these nutes might be a little more "organic" than others making them less potent. I used this amount with no problems on seedlings and clones after they rooted. I have 3 plants in veg now with ppm's of about 1200-1600 with good results. The buffering effect of these nutes like to keep things at about 6.2 ph I notice good results with these nutes at about 600 ppm with a ph of 6.2

stub

Disco- Yeah i looked for those nutes at the local hydro with no luck...I wanted to follow pipedreams recipe all the way but I went with the nutes that other people were grabbing off the shelf and got out as quick as possible...I was a little paranoid at first. Funny thinking about it now...I am less paranoid now for sure

Pipedream- These white widow plants grow TALL! The shelf just had to keep coming down week after week until they are now on the bottom of the cabinet. They are pushing five feet tall. I have a piece of glass in the top that is really helping them to get close to the bulb without getting burned. The tops are bent over with pipe cleaners to keep them from touching the glass. I never knew they would get this tall. It's no big deal though cause they are easily bent where you want them to go, just bend a little today... a little more tomorrow... and they respond very well. You are right about the lower branches needing to be trimmed up as the plant grows...you can tell they are not producing as the upper branches flower and the lower ones seem to keep vegging and get limpy. The flowers look almost alien...I just stare at them in awe of their white tentacles of goodness. Trying to upload pics but keep getting error message...will try again soon

stub

Sorry...I keep getting error messages like this one when trying to upload pics. Has anyone else seen this before?

Error creating thumbnail! Error code: 154
Command:
"/usr/local/bin/mogrify" -size 250x188 -quality 80 -geometry 250x188 '/data/web/icmag/icmag.com/www/gallery/data/500/28490CIMG2899-thumb.JPG'

stub

OK, there we go...looks like others were having trouble with pics as well. Glad they got it fixed. Two thumbs up to whoever fixed it!!

MoleMcHenry

Quick question

Quick question

Hey Pipedream, I wanted to drop by and thank you for putting up such a wealth of useful, easy to understand information about your system. I just finished my first 150 watt hps grow and have decided to try a tiny bubbler system for my second run, 6 kalichakras I just started germing tonight.

I read through all the posts, but didn't find an answer to this question: do you top or fim your plants? From some of your pics, it looked like you topped your clones a few times, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks again for your informative posts.

Pipedream

Veteran
stub -

Dam, Dude, those girls are looking mighty nice from these old eyes. In fact, the whole set-up looks alot like my earlier attempts. If you check out the real old pic's in my gallery, you might think it was the same system! Enjoy and keep us posted.

edit: Bro' get some white paint in there, makes a huge difference!

MoleM -

Thanks for the kind words. I've done both in the past, but now do very little of anything. I've come to realize that even with a poor harvest, I still can't out-smoke my box. As such, my storage-stash and gifts to friends just keeps growing. Super-Cropping is fun, and does help with plants that are top heavy like mine, but like I said, I'm lazy. You are right about the clones being topped. In fact I'll often cut an entire branch and chop it up into 5 or 6 clones. Then if the clones don't branch out enough, I'll top them as they grow to produce more tips. (at least I used to when I wasn't lazy) Now-a-days, nature provides any and all of the training my plants recieve except for the removal of lower fan leaves.

Last edited:

stub

Pipedream-

Thanks man, that means alot coming from you! You guys are the only eyes who have seen these babies apart from mine. I have convinced my wife to check em out a few times cause she wanted to see what I was sooo excited about. She heckles me about being "in love" with those "things". Some men just need more than one lady in their life I tell her.

I plan on painting it white next go around. The plants are too much hassle to move out now so I will wait till after harvest and whiten it up for the next batch of clones waiting in the veg box. I might even add a couple of floros like you have setup. I was thinking about putting the floros lower with some clear jars over them to get light to the lower growth getting real close without burning them. Do you notice much difference when using the floros? I am using two 100 watt bright full spectrum cfls from Feit brand in the veg box and growth seems good to me. Do you use the floros very much in your box?

Pipedream

Veteran
Actually, I never planned for fluoros. The sockets were originally placed to hold green-glass bulbs so I could tend my garden during the dark period. Then during one cycle the ladies shoot up past the main light and wound up in the shadows in the top of the box. It was then that I decided to unscrew the greenies and temporarily put in the CFL's. They worked so well that I leave them in all the time now.

(This post was typed in the middle of a serious couch-lock. I have since edited it to read correctly. Sorry)

Last edited:

stub

I like the thought of using both bulbs in combination, sounds like you are happy with it. I will see about that for myself as well for the next go around.

I just topped two of my clones in the veg box because they are too big. I needed to slow em down a bit until I harvest the 3 in the main cabinet.

I plan on Dec 22 for harvest (just over 9 weeks of flowering for oldest plant on 8 weeks for the youngest), what a great present this year! On Dec 8th I plan on cutting the light to 8 hours a day. I read that white widow really puts on the crystals if you use no light the last 2 weeks but that sounds drastic so I opted for the 8 hours instead. Then on the 15th stop using nutes with just water onlyfor 7 days, then on the 19th cut the lights off for 3 days of total darkness before harvest.

How does that sound to you? Does it sound a little wierd? Any advice you could give as to light cycles, nutes or anything else near harvest time would be greatly appreciated.

Pipedream

Veteran
While I've never grown WW, I do use a total dark period prior to harvest on all of my crops. It runs between 48 & 72 hours, and the temps are kept fairly low at the time. And I totally agree on the 7 day no-nute plan as well.

stub

:laughing:
I was thinking the same thing as I read your post before the edit...Pipedream must be high as a kite right now!!!! Those Jamaican sativas must be some powerful medicine!

Yeah, I think 2 weeks of dark time might be xtreme. If anyone has any experience with that please let me know.

I will go with your advice of the 3 days of darktime with 7 days of water only. The tempurature is holding at 70 degrees since it is cold out now and that is where the thermostat is set for the furnace. Humidity holds around 50% to 60%. Thanks for your help man!

beadwindow2001

Amazing setup!

Amazing setup!

Wonderful set up. I keep coming back and reading the posts. I have a question and searched this thread for the answer with no results. I hope it has not been asked before.

The medium you are growing the plants in. What is it? How is it used? How is the root structure held in place? :joint:

Pipedream

Veteran

I'm using what's commonly referred to as "Hydroton" in my netpots. They are small marble sized balls made from expanded clay. They're very light, specifically made for this application, and are cheap and easily available. They can be reused over and over with just a simple cleaning between cycles. The roots wind their way thru it, then thru the holes in the netpot, and everything becomes one solid mass. Its only purpose is to provide a structure that will allow the roots to anchor and remain damp. Many other substances can also be used in its place.

Last edited: