What's new

~PIFF~ A.K.A. Uptown Haze/Frankies/Church. Preserving a Heritage...

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
xoox - They are okay. They need a transplant, but I'm finishing up building a custom box for my 600 watt digi. I cannot wait to get that box up and humming. I'll have PLENTY of room to do whatever I feel like.

I was just gifted 18 SSH F2's. I'm thinking that I might use one of these to make a cross... The only thing is that I'm not sure of the lineage or seedbank and others have made me some intresting offers to use for a cross.

Once I get this box finished, I'm already thinking of adding a vegetation/mother cabinet. Which would bring my total space to a 250 watt C13. A 5 1/2 foot wide by 4 foot deep by 7 foot tall flowering chamber for the 600. And a veg box with a 6 2' bulb T5 fixture and a shelf.

Just got to finish, then I'll post major updates. I got ALOT of shit growing right now. Outdoors and in.

O

otherwhitemeat

Art, best of luck on your work...I am looking forward to seeing the results! I am pretty sure I have another few weeks but I hope we can compare pics when all done. Good luck on the outdo' too. read you sig line and you are busy person!

Just sitting here watchin em grow... :lurk:

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
You could definitely fit 2 of the "Value Cooltubes" Hydrofarm has in that 5.5' width. And you can run 2 600's off a 20A circuit w/ no worries if it's dedicated to the lamps. Just a thought..

Also, are you keepin the C-13 for flowering? If you set both cabinets up for a flip flop of the 12/12 schedule, you have the ability to keep bigger plants under a nice big lamp and keep them vegging if you have the space to alternate cabinets.

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
Oh yea. The C13 will still be flowering. I plan to run both cabinets on 12/12. I'm going to build yet ANOTHER cab for all my veggin.

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
ARTofMAKINGfire said:
Oh yea. The C13 will still be flowering. I plan to run both cabinets on 12/12. I'm going to build yet ANOTHER cab for all my veggin.

damn art, you just beastin this thing out huh? your the go hard or go home type of cat to me anyway, so do the damned thang bruh!!!

in and out?!?!?---> :nono:

and i think my other plants are gettin jealous at how stinky that orange bud clone is!! lol

:rasta:

thatguy

Nice, Art. Not too many people trying in and out. I'm going to get an ID thread going once I'm started on my next crop.

I've got 16 plants OD myself, and am about to start up my second ID crop. Lots of work, but well worth it.

All the best,
TG

TraneRek

Are there other strains in other areas as coveted as this one? I've never seen so much hype over a single strain before o_O

Good luck Art! make that shit happen..

-Rek

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
TraneRek said:
Are there other strains in other areas as coveted as this one? I've never seen so much hype over a single strain before o_O

Good luck Art! make that shit happen..

-Rek

I imagine that the pif is as coveted in the NYC area as og kush is in so cal, the white/triangle in nocal, or PK in the northwest. Kind of like a local legend that exists. The difference is, there is a semi-open grow culture out west, and the cuts get around. I bet part of the pif's legend comes from the fact that it has been out there for EVER, but only commercially. There are/have been other quality buds (blueberry mid-early 90's, WW late 90's, sour D, kush etc) but pif is by far the most sought after smoke in the area.

asher1er

Veteran
otherwhitemeat said:
I grew these from a few bagseeds that turned up in a Z I scored in the Bronx...don't know why they call it piff....my guy never calls it that...he has 'da good shit' and 'da regs', this is from the 'da good shit'. Third time I've heard it called piff this week. Sativa from NY, very late flowerer. (easily 100 days)...airy buds, funky (not skunky smell, more like sweaty socks) and a 2 hits is all ya need..classic racy Sativa high, occasional parnoia. Creative, problem solving stone. Broad leaves while vegging, the buds turn out super thin leaf sets towards the end. Not really sure what I got, but these plants are clones from revegged mothers I been using for experimentation for about 8 months. Have two mothers with no hermie traits AT ALL.

How many days in 12/12 are you?

O

otherwhitemeat

asher1er said:
How many days in 12/12 are you?

I'm at day 65, planning on letting them go at least another 3-4 weeks... they really stretched out quite a bit in the past two weeks. Pulled a tester this week and dried it in front of my dehumidifer for a few days, it was a very good high. Patiently waiting for the right harvest window.

Rgd

Veteran
otherwhitemeat said:
I'm at day 65, planning on letting them go at least another 3-4 weeks... they really stretched out quite a bit in the past two weeks. Pulled a tester this week and dried it in front of my dehumidifer for a few days, it was a very good high. Patiently waiting for the right harvest window.

Yeh lookin way good.
Looks VERY much like ssh haze pheno..
a lil too chunky 4 straight haze huh?

O

otherwhitemeat

Fatt and Ash, thanks for the words of encouragement! This late stretch was quite a surprise, I know it's going to yield fatter buds but this pheno added anywhere from 1-3 inches to each bud starting at around week 7, they are starting to make terminal budding now at each cola, but mannn--these feckers just LOVE to take any extra N and just grow. I've taken them down to 10 hrs/day, backing off on the nutes and am just waiting for them to finish.

Art! How we looking, dewd? Let us know! I'll share my pics when I am done and we can compare notes. I talked to my buddy this weekend; he's a virtual fixture in the NYC weed scene, he said that the stuff he gets has just always been called 'the Haze' I asked him if he ever heard of the names: Church, Frankies, Piff, etc and here's what he told me of it's origins, not sure if it's true or not:

Years back a few farmers were growing outdoor in Eastern PA and driving it down Route 80 to NYC. They chose PA because it's less populated and only about 1.5 hours from NYC. Technology led them to move to indoor, but they never changed the seeds or cross bred them with Indicas. Now, they're all hydro and they sell the 'regs'---anything that's gone to seed, late flowered, hasn't finished right, etc at a cut rate price. The stuff that gets finished and is good quality sense, they sell as 'the good shit' for a premium. The genetics are quite variable, but they all have a spicy, pungent smell (some say moldy, spicy, ginger, etc) But it got it's names 'Frankies' and 'Church' because it smells like an old Italian funeral (Frankincense). The 'Piff', he claims, is short for 'epiphany' meaning 'a sudden realization or discovery' which derives from the fact that they referred to it with religious connotations and from the farmers that moved out to PA after they had the 'epiphany' of growing indoor from NY Haze genetics. Funny, when I mentioned Indicas he just happened to have some 'Kush' around and this stuff is a madman, two hits and I could barely muster the language skills to converse. He said they don't like the 'Kush' as it's not a high yielder, not really sure what it was, but it was Indica dom all the way. I still like my Sativa high, but is it taking forever in my cab.

Anyway, not sure if this is true or even if it helps to add some color commentary. He said that he's seen it all: from the humble beginnings in the early 70's (Mexican Brick) to Kind Bud in the last 80's/early 90's (skunky sativa phenos, grown indoors) He said that now everyone is asking him for 'Kush' though I think they call all Indica varieties 'Kush'.

xOOx

wow

nice story OWM.

i noticed that anything that grew from the seeds had all had the same underlying smell on stem rub, or when cured it became one of the main odors no matter what the open air fragrance was. just the veg smells were different, either the sour pineapple/grapefruistish w/a little bit of light skunk (heart pounding racy pheno) to the full on nose tingling skunk spray funk chemical (more of the dreamy floaty religious experience buzz that i like better, more uplifting) but no matter what when dried, the stem rub odor becomes more prominent on all of them. i think the spicey fresh pepperish smell comes from the skunk?

xoox

asher1er

Veteran
OWM, nice story..couple questions tho.. where(not in specific but in general) does your friends "tha haze" come from? does he suppose its grown locally in doors?

im not a virtual fixture in ny but i got some nice background ;) i like knowing where else this stuff is coming from? me n art can relate as going through his story we've been pretty much in the same scene i think..

i have been to ny a few times, stayed in a hotel once and i asked the door boy if he smoked he told me yeah so i handed him a box of ciggs(i dont smoke ciggs but had it for this same purpose) when i saw em later that night he asked me if what i had given him was piff? at the time i didn't know what you guys call or considered piff so i told em not sure its just some haze i brought from home lol

O

otherwhitemeat

Art, sorry for the hijack bro, just keeping an eye on things while you're out. ;-)

Rgd, Since I am still a newb, not really sure what typical haze is like. My weed has decent internodal distances and buds from flower sets where the calyxes and bud leaves are loaded with sticky trichomes. These trichs take a long time to mature. But the bud doesn't seem to get dense, it clusters and the cluster are dense. This could be my environment/lighting rather than genetic.

Ash, I can't tell you to much except that the guy that gave me that info has been on the scene in the Bronx and Harlem for years. From what I know, his guy sources from farmers in Staten Island, NJ, and Eastern PA. It's all indoor and hydro. The nose tingling/throat burning/coughing fits induced by this weed are likely caused by a commercial grower that does not have the time to flush his res fully. It's never compressed and always appears to be dried to perfection. When grown organically in soil as I do, the taste is still unmistakable but it has none of the harshness that I've come to associate with this source. It's complex, spicy, funky--not quite skunk, but earthy--very hard to explain but I know this, it's VERY heavy on the Sativa.

The following two pics came from the same plant: This side branching cola looks almost done (day 67)

Even though the main cola has decided to branch out and make budlets

I may just harvest branches as they mature and leave the main cola on there to do it's thing. I have some nice sugary buds that seem ready and the trichs are saying 'days' but that main cola will be weeks before she's fully baked.

S

socioecologist

Those pictures look a lot like the old Kali Mist, in bud structure at least. The smell, flavor, and effect sound very similar as well. I remember reading through the whole "piff" thread when it was running strong, but I don't remember seeing any bud shots of the piff? Does anyone have one?

ExEcutioner

ARTofMAKINGfire said:
Two words my friends. La Republica Dominica.

Dominicans have had a choke-hold on a certain niche in NY's marijuana market for MANY years. I do in fact personally know 2 growers of this strain. One of them is taking an offensive position and threating physical harm. He knows that the seeds are from his product and has DEMANDED that I stop immediatly. I made this thread last Monday the night before I attend the 2008 East Coast Nugs and Jugs event. There was a no cell phone policy at the party and I was there most of last week. So I just got these messages. Why don't you chime in? Still think this internet shit is BS? I'm sure everyone here would LOVE to hear what you have to say about WHY we can't all have these gentics. Most of us don't grow commercially and those that grow it for personal use probably have been growing and not purchasing marijuana for a long time. So how could this negativley affect your business?
I'm not trying to cop a plea homie. I've made it VERY clear to you. FUCK YA! Lucky for all these people that want this strain, I AM A G, and I'll deal with you in the real world. HOWEVER YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH IT. I just hope YOU make the right choice homie. This is historic and LONG OVERDUE. So if you think ONE person is going to stop this, you're BUGGIN!
And it is interesting to me that our other friend hasn't called me yet. Does he support this? I know you're reading this. So let me know if I have 1 or 2 enemies please.

The seedlings are doing GREAT! One was a little lazy and I propped him up with a toothpick. The stems will strengthen. I post some pics when they get a little bigger.

I'll be on the block tonight if you're looking for me!...

Yea man i feel you, i already kno the deal, Dominicans even have the 5 bags of haze from what ive heard last. Hope you get this strain out and even make sell some seeds on seedbay if the seeds are good.