What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

~PIFF~ A.K.A. Uptown Haze/Frankies/Church. Preserving a Heritage...

goingrey

Pretty cool info I don’t have much experience with jack besides since maybe 2010 was the first time I grew it and by that time all of the hazes coming from Dutch stock were completely terpinoline dominant. Once terpinoline is bred into a plant it’s very very hard to find something without it. When we think of jack here in the US we think of C5/ train wreck terps.
And the C5 terpinolene connection might not be so simple.

If you check the lab results dubi has posted here you can see that while C5 itself is high in terpinolene, its daughter C5 x Kali China has none. Ok just one test from one pheno but still proves that C5 descendents aren't necessarily terpinolene-dominant.

I just ran some “87 NL haze” courtesy of Johnny Chicgo. Pretty good dope.

I wonder if Phylos and their gene mapping could help with these haze arguements?
Phylos shows A5 and "NYC Dominican Piff Haze" as relatives.

OldCoolSativa

The story goes is that some Cuban growers from Florida went to the cannabis castle and got 100 seeds of nl5 x haze A from Ed rosenthal and that’s where the cbh was born.
I'd be interested to learn where you heard that. The Nl5 x Hz A seed was never made for commercial sale, but that doesn't mean Nevil didn't make 5A seed in significant quantities when he had the Haze A plant. Nevil was known to personally meet, get high with, and sell large quantities of seed to well-financed customers at the Cannabis Castle, and I've speculated that it was one such customer who obtained some 5A seed and who had the resources and foresight to make some selections for cloning and large-scale indoor production, the end product of which was Uptown haze and some of its variants. Piff could still be a Nevil's Haze pheno, as the timeline for exactly when Piff showed up in NYC is fuzzy. I strongly concur that Haze A is what made piff special. Full disclosure and for the record, I never smoked piff and have only read about it; my weed connection at the time was through deadheads in western Mass so I was smoking chem variants in the 90s, not piff.

As an aside, @PiffCoastFarms I do appreciate the work you do, although I have my doubts that you can reproduce the best effects and frankincense lingering aromas in a 10-week plant. I'll try to get to Piffcon next year so you can prove me wrong. :)

PiffCoastFarms

I'd be interested to learn where you heard that. The Nl5 x Hz A seed was never made for commercial sale, but that doesn't mean Nevil didn't make 5A seed in significant quantities when he had the Haze A plant. Nevil was known to personally meet, get high with, and sell large quantities of seed to well-financed customers at the Cannabis Castle, and I've speculated that it was one such customer who obtained some 5A seed and who had the resources and foresight to make some selections for cloning and large-scale indoor production, the end product of which was Uptown haze and some of its variants. Piff could still be a Nevil's Haze pheno, as the timeline for exactly when Piff showed up in NYC is fuzzy. I strongly concur that Haze A is what made piff special. Full disclosure and for the record, I never smoked piff and have only read about it; my weed connection at the time was through deadheads in western Mass so I was smoking chem variants in the 90s, not piff.

As an aside, @PiffCoastFarms I do appreciate the work you do, although I have my doubts that you can reproduce the best effects and frankincense lingering aromas in a 10-week plant. I'll try to get to Piffcon next year so you can prove me wrong. :)
Definitely come through man! The frankincense in the air is solidified in almost every pheno by now, the effects vary for sure. But you know with a big enough population to hunt through any traits you want can be found 😉

I heard the story from a Cuban guy I know who moves a lot lot lot of haze, lives in one of the richest towns in NJ in a mansion and it’s all from his family growing haze so I kinda believe him, and he is more of a hustler and isn’t really a knowledgeable grower so for him to throw out names like Ed rosenthal kinda caught me off guard when he was telling me the story and i really don’t think he’s bullshitting. Honestly, you never know though. But yeah he said the story was his uncle was one of the guys who went. showed me a few different bust articles with his family name on them too, seems pretty legit. I’m gonna be starting the “Piffcast Podcast” soon and I’ll be interviewing a ton of old haze growers from New York and Miami so it will be cool to get a bunch of info out there. I’ve honestly heard like 10 different stories but they all seem to be anywhere between 89-92 most Miami people say 89 and most New York people say it hit there in 92. I’ve also heard about some people losing the original and ordering mr nice nl5hz seeds around 2001 and finding similar phenos. One of my friends was at emerald last year and showed Arjan Cuban haze and Arjan said “this is my haze, I lost it 20 years ago… where did you get it?” He asked what the most similar thing he has now is and he said the nl5hazemist… i ordered some and popped 3 packs so we will know here in a few months if it is or not.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Old school Nevilles Haze
View attachment 18789233
Jack herer View attachment 18789234
Nevilles haze mid flower
View attachment 18789235
Jack mid flower
View attachment 18789236

Both are Piff aren't they ?

Nope. Not unless you can describe the terpene profile. Which you refused to do. Both are sativa, correct.

Doesn't make them "piff" - sorry you can't seem to grasp that.

It's a very specific terpene profile.

Regarding Jack holding "piff" terps because Karma G said a Jack pheno reminded him of A5 - that's not the same as saying Jack produced a "piff" phenotype.

A5 - itself, IS NOT a piff expression. Though it holds the key to unlocking such expressions.

dank.Frank

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Nope. Not unless you can describe the terpene profile. Which you refused to do. Both are sativa, correct.

Doesn't make them "piff" - sorry you can't seem to grasp that.

It's a very specific terpene profile.

Regarding Jack holding "piff" terps because Karma G said a Jack pheno reminded him of A5 - that's not the same as saying Jack produced a "piff" phenotype.

A5 - itself, IS NOT a piff expression. Though it holds the key to unlocking such expressions.

dank.Frank
You're just being funny again, I told you that you're the ultimate clown. And that you do a great job.

🤡

CannaT

Premium user
Why should I discuss with people who use facts to confirm their opinion. Instead of using facts to question their opinion. I'm on a higher mental level than that.

✌️
What are terps of my cutting....you ask me.
Couldnt say better than Neville wrote about it....
"The fragrance is complex and deep, with a dry flowery perfume over a base of dark, leathery animal tones."

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a pack of Chimera's Frankies Haze. Last word on it was good but not great, not piff in otherwords. Any new grows or info on it?

The original seemed to be a transcendant high from reports I read. Like beyond being high on strong pot. Hope someone can finally nail this straIn down. If it is a one off of a clone it might not be doable.

asher1er

Veteran
seems like we can all agree on one thing.. we all went to different churches and everyones basement smelled different ;)

we don't have basements down here so when people come looking for that basement funk we got no clue what it is and frankincense seems to vary from person to person :ROFLMAO:

i guess its possible to find "piff" smell in jack if the lineage is in there somewhere idk.. we went through a bunch of jack seeds with no luck, same deal with nl5 stuff that was available but at the end of the day its luck of the draw aint it? :tiphat:

PiffCoastFarms

I’m
I have a pack of Chimera's Frankies Haze. Last word on it was good but not great, not piff in otherwords. Any new grows or info on it?

The original seemed to be a transcendant high from reports I read. Like beyond being high on strong pot. Hope someone can finally nail this straIn down. If it is a one off of a clone it might not be doable.
from what I’ve seen the Frankie’s incense haze had too much jack influence but some people did find piffy phenos in the simply irresistible which was sweet skunk x incense haze from chimera

mexweed

Veteran
I think what Dank Frank is saying is that it's not just the incense, that there is more to it that defines it, when a cut of jack etc has some incense to it does not mean that piff came from it, and that there is another mystery parent involved making it impossible to simply be a cut of jack or a5

CannaT

Premium user
3.jpg

20221208_192849.jpg
Some pictures of my dried Piff.
Whats the thread without pictures. :)