What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Phylos Bioscience sparks outrage after announcing their beginning their own breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koondense

Veteran
If intellectual property would not be applied to making living entities out of living entities, all this bullshit wouldn't happen
The whole idea of intellectual property is flawed. You are making seed out of seed. Thats not an invention. If you make seeds or create a strain out of non biological means, that would be an invention and it would apply. If you create or invent a cannabis strain or seed out of a piece of rock or some metal like steel or iron, that would certainly be an invention or creation and would deserve a patent

I'm not sure phylos will make seeds out of seeds, the whole idea seems to me more like make seeds(or more simple genetic manipulation of existing plants) by using data gathered from seeds which were donated or given to them.
In this view they will make living organisms out of data, which is a novelty after all.
And patenting a plant is not the case, but patenting a part of a novel genome they will create, still feels legit to me. I could be wrong though...

Cheers

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Imagine you were looking for a particular flavour. How long would it take you to identify which of your seedling would have it. How many clones will you keep while identifying which one is the long term keeper? What would a home test kit be worth to you that identified which of your seedlings was the right one on day 1 from seed?
That's just one possibility of a use they can put the data to that not many will object to.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
imagine Phylos cares!

imagine Phylos cares!

Sadly, I don't think Phylos will be marketing much of anything useful to the home/hobby breeder of the future (us).

In the future (if we recover from the devastation caused by the CV), classic breeding methods will be considered 'old fashioned', a small niche, like heirloom seeds and vegs are now.

I imagine the long-term target for their valuable genetic library will be Monsanto, etc., companies that already have the technology in place to analyze the DNA contents of a seed without the bother of having to plant/grow/smoke/evaluate.

Big Pharma will be bringing you the flavor combinations you desire, no need to waste time doing it the hard way.

Phylos knows alla this, they don't care what we object to, all they care about is moving into the big time and becoming players themselves.:tiphat:

shaggyballs

Veteran
Sadly, I don't think Phylos will be marketing much of anything useful to the home/hobby breeder of the future (us).

In the future (if we recover from the devastation caused by the CV), classic breeding methods will be considered 'old fashioned', a small niche, like heirloom seeds and vegs are now.

I imagine the long-term target for their valuable genetic library will be Monsanto, etc., companies that already have the technology in place to analyze the DNA contents of a seed without the bother of having to plant/grow/smoke/evaluate.

Big Pharma will be bringing you the flavor combinations you desire, no need to waste time doing it the hard way.

Phylos knows alla this, they don't care what we object to, all they care about is moving into the big time and becoming players themselves.:tiphat:

Funny when I said these same exact things years ago, you called me a conspiracy nut.

What is up with that?

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
nothing personal but you're just trolling here shag, prove yer point by posting a link (from THIS thread) or STFU, capiche?:tiphat:

vanilla dutch

Cosmicgiggle do you think they worry about small time people as far as a threat to there pockets or Monopoly power? So u think we will be unbothered or affected by this? And is this a good thing?

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
No, I don't think they're worried about 'us' unless there's money to be made (or lost).

.... and no, I don't think it's a good thing, it is what it is and I imagine a lot of good medicine will come from Big Pharma/Monsanto along with a lot of grief, but hopefully we'll all still be able to grow/breed in our closets and backyard.

That's why it's so important to make seeds now and hold on to them, you never know what tomorrow will bring.:tiphat:

G

nothing personal but you're just trolling here shag, prove yer point by posting a link (from THIS thread) or STFU, capiche?:tiphat:
I see he is banned. I wonder what makes a member of this place for that time length go mental in a short time as he seemed to have done. I’ve seen him on here since I have been here but seemed normal all things considered being a member here and then in the last few weeks he went totally off the rails and into the weeds.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- we all have our up's and down's stewart - I think shags only got a 5 day ban - so he may come around again - hopefully without a negative attitude towards the staff here -

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
anyone seen PHYLOS realsease of the auto cbd

https://phylos.bio/blog/not-all-seed-is-created-equal

For career farmers, sourcing reliable seed is the biggest decision factor in producing a competitive crop buyers want. Phylos AutoCBD is the first wave of improved CBD hemp seed offering growers predictable, stable results in the field.
Phylos AutoCBD Hemp Seed bag

Phylos AutoCBD is a compact, short-season hemp crop ideal for low-cost farming production and extraction.

• Avoids industry bottlenecks and harvest in just 75 days
• Lowers your risk with lab-verified feminization rates
• Better suppresses weeds with dense planting canopy
• Lowers labor costs with mechanized harvest
• Protects your investment with low-risk chemical ratio (26:1 Total CBD to Total THC ratio)
Highest feminization rates

With lab-verified feminization rates* of 99.98%+, you can avoid the risk of high cost accidental pollination.
AutoCBD Hemp Field
Trialed across the US

Phylos AutoCBD was evaluated at more than 35 sites across the US in the summer of 2019, with ongoing trials to more deeply understand how it grows in every climate.
Short-season crop

Reaching maturity in an average of 75 days, Phylos AutoCBD is an optimal choice for staggered harvests or pairing with a photosensitive variety.
Optimized for extraction

Phylos AutoCBD plants grow more flower per plant than stems and stalks, meaning less unwanted byproduct and higher value per pound for your processor.
Easy-to-grow compact size

Grow 10,000 plants per acre for better weed suppressions and more biomass per acre than orchard-style photosensitive varieties.

Our Quality Standards
Phylos AutoCBD hemp seeds are backed by rigorous analysis that includes chemical, germination, genetic, and feminization testing.

Our pre-harvest Certificate of Analysis (or COA) complies with Oregon’s sampling laws (28 days prior to harvest). Download the COA for AutoCBD (PDF).

We’re bringing hemp into mainstream agriculture by implementing industry-leading quality control standards such as:

• Germination testing
• Feminization analysis
• Precise seed weighing technology
• Heat-sealed packaging
Phylos Tested
Phylos Genotype Testing

The Phylos Genotype Test is a powerful tool for understanding your plants, showing identical clone matches, how they’re related to varieties around the world, and insight into their breeding potential.

Farmers can now learn more about the genetic makeup of AutoCBD on the Phylos Galaxy and its Genotype Report. The test results from December 11, 2019, showed no relatives in the Galaxy, meaning Phylos is not only the first to genotype AutoCBD (or NBS CBD-1) but also no other samples in the Galaxy are genetically related. Because AutoCBD is an autoflower variety, there are also no clones due the inability to keep clones of autoflower plants.

Find AutoCBD on the Phylos Galaxy | Learn about the genetic makeup of AutoCBD

* The feminization rate of AutoCBD is >99.98% based on lab results showing zero males in 4,304 plants. It is expected that the feminization rate is much higher but would require larger samples (>43K to get a rate of >99.998%, >430K for a rate of >99.9998%).
Order Phylos AutoCBD

Phylos recommends planting approximately 10,000 AutoCBD seeds per acre. Phylos AutoCBD is now available in quantities as low as 5,000 seeds.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Post facts, not some made up conversation you made up in your head.

I have also never eaten green eggs & ham

Anything else is a complete fabrication.

I keep being called a liar.
So I feel the need to clear the air.

I did not make up anything as it is alleged here.
Here is the actual conversation for reference.

05-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Well here is what chimera has to say to you being dupped!

Chimera
Genetic Resource Management

This is his exact quote.

"What did you guys think Phylos going to do with the data behind the Galaxy.... a tool without a use. There was always a bigger play. You can't have a business if there is no service.... a company that doesn;t do anything? Pfffttt..."

So sam what is your response to one of your own peers saying you should have known.
It is here in black and white.

You are claiming the victim when you of all people should have known better.

Just ask Chimera he will tell ya!

What did you guys think Phylos going to do with the data behind the Galaxy.... a tool without a use. There was always a bigger play.

vanilla dutch

Who's you? In the post? For clarity. I don't even understand the problem.im new here so I find this discussion interesting.just to be clear I think if someone sent in males or seeds they mite have a way to market something.but if it was just bud I don't see a problem at all

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Taken from the same thread shaggyballs’ quote above was taken from;

You can also search keyword: chimera by user : shaggyballs it’s pretty clear from the search results when shaggyballs started trolling me - it was in response to posting a contradiction to his propaganda that the novel corona virus is a biological weapon- the record is clearly laid out for anyone to see for themselves...

Attachments

• A0A3EEF7-7F72-4916-8859-A623D9E6C5C8.jpg
    A0A3EEF7-7F72-4916-8859-A623D9E6C5C8.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 49

vanilla dutch

Oh he's a conspiracy nut. Let me guess everybody's against him.lol.sounds like he ran out of weed.no biggie

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts