What's new

Philips 315w CDM Elite (CMH)

Robney

I'm sure this has been answered, but looking through this thread I've seen a few different answers, but is there any consensus about how close to the canopy a single 315 should be?
I'm using a converted hps hood that is air cooled, so I'm not so much worried about heat, but rather light intensity. Is there an "optimum" distance for a single 315?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I'm sure this has been answered, but looking through this thread I've seen a few different answers, but is there any consensus about how close to the canopy a single 315 should be?
I'm using a converted hps hood that is air cooled, so I'm not so much worried about heat, but rather light intensity. Is there an "optimum" distance for a single 315?
Air cooled hood w glass? Id guess 18" to 12", maybe less, depends on strain, PPMs&PH.. the closer one gets with the light, the more the balancing of the environmental act can become problematic. I too use conventional dual, 315w, bulb hood, not ACed in 4X4 tent at less than 24", some depends on the season here in FL, too hot outside, too cold out side makes the balancing act harder.

gh0stm0de

I cannot speak regarding the dual 315 offhand as I do not sell 315s since you already have many solid choices, but yes that is correct, looking at about 670 on the 630 setting for their DE ballast.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Figured after all the threats of going with CMH, I should come back and post a mid-run update. Plants are about 18 days in.

No complaints with the Grower's Choice 315w so far. Plants are growing happy and healthy.

picture.php

picture.php

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I don't really have a set standard at this point. I'm still learning how to use them right, myself. First round with them and all seed plants. They've been everything from 22" to where they are now at about 11" and that's just because the plants are still stretching. It seems around 14" though is about right.

I've not seen any negative impact on the plants at these distances, although, the 22" caused way too much stretch between internodes. At least in my setup anything beyond 18" would be to far.

Light penetration changes as the lights get moved higher as well, so as the lights go up, the canopy gets a bit thinned more. I really only see about 14-16" max depth of true canopy where I expect to have A+ grade flowers.

I see a tendency for plants to toss nut sacks in low light so keeping the underside of the canopy cleaned and stripped seems to be extra important with these, compared to a 1k, which I'm used to.

I'm not expecting 1k numbers, that'd be ridiculous. However, I'm seeing what I'd consider far superior performance to a 400w HPS system - even at this point in the first round of flower. With 2 x 315 I fully expect I'll be able to hit 1.5# with them easily enough. With the right strain, perhaps 2 is not actually unreasonable. I didn't think I'd make that statement, but I can see the potential if done right.

This is the other side of the room, under the other light. It's at 17" from the closest top, currently. I checked.

picture.php

dank.Frank

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I see a tendency for plants to toss nut sacks in low light so keeping the underside of the canopy cleaned and stripped seems to be extra important with these, compared to a 1k, which I'm used to.
dank.Frank

thanks .... i agree with the light penetration .. this is my 2nd run with 2x315's in my 4x3.5ft tent- last grow didnt do enough prunning under the canopy and had lots of popcorn .. i'm 2weeks into flower this go around and every few days i'm pruning ... i'm keeping the lights about 16/18'' above the tops and always do the 'hand-test' to make sure its not toooo hot - also i have an oscillating fan blowing rite under the lights.. i'll post some pics when there is something to see

HorseBadoritiz

thanks .... i agree with the light penetration .. this is my 2nd run with 2x315's in my 4x3.5ft tent- last grow didnt do enough prunning under the canopy and had lots of popcorn .. i'm 2weeks into flower this go around and every few days i'm pruning ... i'm keeping the lights about 16/18'' above the tops and always do the 'hand-test' to make sure its not toooo hot - also i have an oscillating fan blowing rite under the lights.. i'll post some pics when there is something to see
Are you running Philips 315's now?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Are you running Philips 315's now?

running one philips... i bought 2 bulbs, only installed one as i wanted to compare it against the hydro crunch the unit came with - last week i installed the 2nd philips n it didnt fire up- it appears the little bulb inside the glass was not soldered/welded- now i'm in contact with philips for a replacement ... n let me tell u their customer service SUCKS... 1st they tell me my ballast isnt compatible, then they say since its brand new, out of the box i need to contact the place of purchase... they SUCK

HorseBadoritiz

running one philips... i bought 2 bulbs, only installed one as i wanted to compare it against the hydro crunch the unit came with - last week i installed the 2nd philips n it didnt fire up- it appears the little bulb inside the glass was not soldered/welded- now i'm in contact with philips for a replacement ... n let me tell u their customer service SUCKS... 1st they tell me my ballast isnt compatible, then they say since its brand new, out of the box i need to contact the place of purchase... they SUCK
Ohhhh, sorry to hear that. I was wondering if you had noticed any positive difference with the Philips vs Hydro Crunch?

I've had one Philips (400W CMH) that was faulty out of the box, and the vendor replaced it.

Good luck with it!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Ohhhh, sorry to hear that. I was wondering if you had noticed any positive difference with the Philips vs Hydro Crunch?

I've had one Philips (400W CMH) that was faulty out of the box, and the vendor replaced it.Good luck with it!

honestly I don't see any diff between the hydro crunch and the Philips -BUT... its only 3 weeks into 12/12, so i'll give it a bit more time

as to the 2md Philips bulb, after going up the ladder from the 1st customer service lady, to her suoervisor, to his supervisor they will not back the bulb - they say that the ballast isn't amsi (or something similar) rated and it caused the breakage of the bulb... when I tell em the other bulb has been in use for 2+ months with no issues, they don't have an answer... bottom line,...fuk Philips... I will never buy another product of theirs...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Compare spectrum graphs to see if there's any difference. I would guess the components used in crunch are not the same quality as what Phillips uses?. Phillips is not a cannabis friendly vendor. They have pulled there bulbs from business in this field. It doesn't matter who's bulbs we use there will always be some bulbs that are faulty. I use all GC bulbs. They will back there bulbs warranty.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts