What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Philippine Kalinga

masamaaso

Veteran
Growing In The Phillippines

Growing In The Phillippines

I started reading this thread not caring it was 5 years old,,,till I got to the last post and It was posted last month,,,cool..
I got 2-3 cents to add here,,,,, but right now it's nap time,,,, but I will be back tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,to add my 2 cents..

masamaaso

Veteran
I started reading this thread not caring it was 5 years old,,,till I got to the last post and It was posted last month,,,cool..
I got 2-3 cents to add here,,,,, but right now it's nap time,,,, but I will be back tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,to add my 2 cents..

OK,,,nap times over,,First of I don't know a dam thing about growing weed,I've been hanging out on another weed site for the past year or so that's gone tits up,, I hit this thread and have read it 3-4 times,opened all the fotos 3-4 times ,it describes my past grows pretty good and even better,,, EXPLAINED A LOT,let me know a thing or 2 about why my grows went the way they did,, like the hermi thing,,,,except for the purple goddess ya got their , I've not been so blessed with such a lovely as that, and would trade many pigs and chickens for a plant as such.. Where I live is a few steps beyond even the province, In fact I live in a Nat Geo special on a small Island deep deeeeeeep in south WESTERN Visayas, and the lack of weed just floored me,and I live near by sorta close to and kinda with several native tribes, and they dont have a use for it so they dont grow it,(and dont care if I do) I came here with 2ozs of baguio brick weed I got In Olongapo (whata shit hole) paid P2000, for the first time in my life I was hoping for 2 really seedy bags.. 2 weeks after getting here i had seeds germin and was getting a sweet spot set up outside,, that was 5 years ago,,and lemme tell ya that grow really sucked bad,,I had 40 or so tall spindly bean stalks lots of big leaves some 11 finger leaves on a few that were like giants hands,and got up to 15 feet tall in a 5 gal bucket, and some that stayed kinda short.
The tall ones were a stand out dark green and mostly males the ones looking female all started batting for both teams and went hermi on me everyone of them, but all of them also had lots of buds all down the branches there were 10-12 buds on each branch and nice looking buds with a red color that smelled like fresh ground coffee,took 5 months of flowering to finish off and full of seeds but the weed was great, a nice up lift high and it kept the coffee flavor and left a little choco taste on the exhale,I keep a few going because I use it as my morning smoke,, knocks off the morning aches and pains
There were 2 different plant types when it came to the shorter ones, one got about 5 feet or so the other stayed low at about 25-28 inches, the five footer were a lighter green with fatter leaf fingers,the buds were spaced far apart whitish through out the whole term and airy, it cured up to a golden color and tasted like old school Colombian Gold and I loved it cause I'm an old guy and it tasted like the weed we smoked before seedless green weed hit the scene in 1976. The shortest of them all is also the best,,short stubby dark green leaves a cola bud and 6-8 short branches with a rounded bud at each end that grow from white to a reddish and cured up staying reddish/goldish,,it grows and smokes with a citrusy flavor and matures way faster than the other two, its this 3rd one i try and grow the most of the tall ones i keep at because i like the bud the 2nd i can give or take wasn't much to it..
This grow was started in late Oct when they germinated,from seed I've gotten from my grows and I've been playing with it some by nippin trimmin femin toppin, I'm thinkin I get less hermies when I top the big ones and keep um short but this is the first year of doing so ,,,so I dont really know(I do know Jack,,,,we went to the Academy together)By now I know what the plants are gonna do(most of the time) so I'm seeing what happens when I do things to um.I keep 15-20 going at all times hoping I wont run out of smoke and have just this year started cloning,,,got 15 of the smallest types cloned,, they've rooted and are alive but I dont know what to expect so I'll be putting down more seeds soon to keep the garden going.. pik one is a suck picture of the hermi line there's 7 out there and 3 have turned already. the rest of the piks are of the shortest type, and you can see why i try to grow these more than the others.the last 2 piks are the shortest of them all and mature pretty fast in 12 weeks or so where the rest take a life time to finish...
So there ya go my 2 centavos,,,still dont know shit about growing weed ,,but I am learning,,,,,,,, hope I didn't get to mixed up,,, after all I grow for a reason,,,,,Diba..

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome masamaaso,

It would very interesting to know more about phillippine sativas, im intringued after grew a few, they were diverse, in colors, size, flowering time and quality .... but i know there have lot of interesting things to offer and its genepool is completly new in modern commercial hybrids. Tt's a pitty the law is so unfriendly there for marihuana smokers.

Best wishes with your grows. Thanks for sharing.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome masamaaso,

It would very interesting to know more about phillippine sativas, im intringued after grew a few, they were diverse, in colors, size, flowering time and quality .... but i know they have interesting things to offer and its genepool is completly new in modern commercial hybrids. It's a pitty the law is so unfriendly there for marihuana smokers.

Best wishes and thanks for sharing.

masamaaso

Veteran
Hi Dubi thanks for letting me hook into your thread,, it was a real sweet find,, Growing in the tropics has a lot of up and downs but now that I've been slapped with most of the downs I've been getting good results..
I wish I could put a strain type name on what im actually growing but It'll never happen,, best I can do is Baguio brick weed I don't know if I want to call it "Baguio Gold",,more like "Baguio greenish reddish brownish"
Because of my geographical location I need to grow for seed,, might help if I knew what I was doing but I don't.. I just get lucky with my seed plants I figure,,but believe me I've had some odd ball messed up looking freak plants come sprouting out of some of my seeds,,,to tell ya the truth I thought I was getting all the hermis because of my mutant seeds Until I read this thread,,,what a relief to know its the plant not the idiot growing it...

I gotta take a nap,,its late,,,I'll be back later on and put up some recent piks if it;s ok,Im doing a young coconut water as nutes experiment,, that's going really well,,some of the piks i posted before are some of them,,,would be cool if I could help ya out, and if ya think I can,,just ask, I am not a busy guy ,,but I don't see where ya need any,,, but cool anyway,,,

I can see the webpage banners now reading ,,,,
coming from deep off a hidden island ( picture the island from king Kong,,looks just like that here ) an ancient forgotten strain of Sativas :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:........... Later Man

E

elmanito

Very nice sativa's you have over there bro.I assume you could get lava dust or rock dust very easy, which could be used as main fertilizer for your plants.Keep the good work going :yes:

http://remineralize.org/

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

masamaaso

Veteran
Very nice sativa's you have over there bro.I assume you could get lava dust or rock dust very easy, which could be used as main fertilizer for your plants.Keep the good work going :yes:

http://remineralize.org/

Thank You,,I do tip my hat to my self sometimes on my results considering my knowledge on growing has come directly out of cyber space,,, maybe thats who the hat should really be tipped to ??? Hummmmmmm,,

But really thanks for giving us a look,, my girls do like to show off.......
And yes,,,I use crushed coral, lime stone and quartz dust as part of my potting mix, the natives use it in the rice and corn fields I started by trying it in a few pots and it did show better results than the pots with out,, mainly the better results were the buds with seemed to pack on a little more weight and matured about 2 weeks before the ones without,,,but now I think the maturing might be because of something else..

E

elmanito

Lime stone is good for the pH, but rock dust has no influences on the pH of the soil.For great benefits you have to crush it untill it is fine as wheat flour.It's gives a good reaction to your plants if you combine it with compost tea.I don't know if you can find pure gypsum over there, but that is also great to use.

http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010173.hensel.pdf

masamaaso

Veteran
Hey thanks for the tips,,,Yea I have to use lime stone here,, the soil is Acidy as as hell, and the quartz and coral dust is something the natives use so i figured what the heck,,,I'll see if I can sneak a foto of the "rock crusher" they use to get the rock dust it's pretty cool seeing it in action but it's in the no camera zone so I got to be careful...

Baguio_boy

nice grow masamaaso.. btw, you can use perlite/vermiculite, as far as i know, it is the best to use....

Dubi, are you still here in the philippines? becasue i'm planning to grow again and i'm thinking if you can give me some seeds to grow rather than using some bag seeds... i have used some bag seeds last year and it's a learning experienced, but it took so long for my ladies to flower.. and so i terminated them and the climate is not so friendly by that time.. it's a pleasure if i can use some of your seeds to grow and i know in some ways i might help you with your research. more power dubi

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome Baguio Boy!

Honestly i have never been in PI but hope to change this in my next trip to SE asia. PM me when you reach 50 posts or send me an email to: info@aceseeds.org.

Best wishes!

thxcannabis

Any kalinga updates appreciated. I smoked the kalinga weed in the late 70's in sagada. This strain deserves to be commercially available. The kalinga growers in the mountain provences have suffered outrageous hardships over the last 40 years. Making the strain available would honor their sacrifices. As an aside Ifugao tribesman from the area appeared Apoclapse Now.

sweetlemonhaze

1st Time Grower Full Time Smoker

1st Time Grower Full Time Smoker

Very Nice Thread.
I'm from Mindanao Philippines...
We have very interesting strains here...
the ones from Cotabato, Cagayan De Oro, Mini baguio in Calinan (its called Mini Baguio cause of its cold climate similar to Baguio City) & the ones in via buda thats for the southern mindanao only...
I'm still a newbie but i wanted to know the history of weed here in mindanao but its difficult and ever more for me since i live in Davao where justice is serve by vigilantes. the weed farms in northern mindanao is either moving to a diffrent loc. or its "completely wipe out" because of the recent storm. and my fear is that we didnt even had a chance to learn from them.

thxcannabis

I would start by trying to collect as many seeds as you can and have friends collect them. I would also think about trying to get seed banks interested as Philippine sativas are very rare and valuable strains, thanks in part to eradication efforts.

High every ones , very nice thread Dubbi . and is very nice sir sweetlemonhaze , i'm was looking for some info about phillippine strains . i'm from belgium and i a real sativa lover

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome sweetlemonhaze, unfortunatly there's very little info about philippine sativas and their origins, the laws towards cannabis in your country doesnt help at all to the information flow or to create a healthy cannabis community there.

I really wish the philippine cannabis lovers and growers preserve for the future all the different landrace sativas of your wide country. It's time to organize and fight against this nonsense laws.

Psykonaut

Hi I was googling about land races in the Philippines and I found this. Philippines has one of the toughest laws on marijunana. But all that may change within the next couple of years as the medical marijuana movement has already began.

I did a test on our local sativas here and they all range between 16-20% the. What is surprising though is that the cbd content is almost the same at 16%. I ran the tests thrice using cannalytics. I'm skeptical about the results particularly the cbd content. I really hope somebody can confirm and verify this.

Good day to you all! :)

Dubi thanks for this beautiful thread. Very informative.