What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Philippine Kalinga

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
hi dubi,

Nice kalinga you got there!

Im wondering if you tried growing those kalinga indoors? I mean did it minimize hermi traits? they say as long as you dont stress canna's you will have a good chance on having a female, since all canna has the tendency to go either (sex) way..

I am also starting to grow cebu/mindanao strains..
I'm sensing a lot of males and hermi's!?

oh what's the female to male and hermi ratio?

by the way when or how long till I be able to identify their sex?

thanks dubi!

Thanks for your kind fo words sundancertip,

It's easier to find more hermie plants growing this kind of genetics indoors but this is not a bad thing if you are selecting against intersexed traits cos it's easy to identify and avoid undesired plants.

Kalinga matures easily outdoors in a warm climate, line produced mostly females, a few hermies and slow % of pure males.
Youll be able to identify their sex in early flowering or even in veg stage, but unfortunatly hermies usually appear at the end of flowering. Hope it helps and best wishes with your philippine sativas!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
hey dubi you get thoes purple seeds from the philippines i sent? you didnt reply?

Hello hazelover :wave:

Yes, i think we received your purple philippine seeds but we havent had the chance to test them yet. Hope you are enjoying there!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Just figured I would throw in all my pics of this variety, I tried to ge the old breeder and seed seller to contact me but there was no way to get these seeds form that person again, they must've vanished...

This plant gave me the oddest type high I have ever experiened.
I almost could not even notice any effects from the high except for an unusual happiness that could've squashed any feelings melancholy or manic it just had a way of creating a humble state of mind, and never did it turn into an unstable or psychadelic or unappealing feeling.
It would've made a great breeding strain, However there was really only two phenotypes that possesed such traits, the others were really best described as schwag, but I miss her and I loved her, let's bring her back somehow shall we !?!
If ever given the opportunity, I whole heartedly would!

Hello Sg,

I had a similar experience growing my Kalingas, ony a few plants were desirable, most of them were avoided cos the hermie traits, bad flower/leaf ratio or undesirable quality. But the good ones were truely worth to experience, amazing colors, floral jasmine terpenes and pleasant effect. I think the strain has good breding potential but needs hard work to select for the best traits.

TheSg

FLORAL JASMINE

FLORAL JASMINE

I'm so glad to hear that there are still seeds around and that people are spreading them.
Dubi I'm glad to see you are around too.
And WOW How this thread has brought back fond memories of the "floral, jasmine terpenes" I really feel like this was the one that got away.; philippine kalinga was definitely one of my favourite growing experiences with a pure sativa.
I would definitely be excited if these beans were made available again, even if there was still work to be done selecting for better traits.
I'm excited!!!

hazelover

index.php

if you grow the purple ones i sent look for some of the big phenos dubi this one only took 11wks at 12/12 - no vege time.
huge colas, pest/mold resistant, no hermie probs and only about 26" in height. making it perfect for indoor growing!

post-4732-1285898550.jpg

sorry i cant blow this up big anymore but this picture also shows how big it was.
this was grown at temps of between 7c - 24c. this strain was brought here from India about 10 years ago by a german traveler.

hazelover

index.php

the philippines is a gold mine for genitics, just wanted to show you the unknown red strain i was telling you about here.

so glad your gona continue to work with the kilinga strain and keep the
ot haze going! i see its becoming really popular now always sold out now/:jump:
well done to ACE, have a nice Christmas!

hazelover

Thesg it was me redbeard from ANforums i cant PM you cause i dont have 50posts yet here!
maybe you can PM your email sometime glad to hear you enjoyed them. take care!

TheSg

lost friend!

lost friend!

Hazelover
I really can't believe that You are here on IC and I couldn't be happier!
I'm sure you'll contribute to these forums amazingly.
hope everything is well, I was actually trying to email you this year, just before summer of course. :wave:

Limeygreen

Veteran
I think I remember that Red although the red I'm thinking of was an expat living in the Philippines and was a member of a different forum before they temporarily banned him for selling opening on the forums( Allegedly). He had some very beautiful pictures of some beautiful plants and landscapes. No offense Hazelover I could be remembering it incorrectly.

I had got the seeds from a guy calling himself Red?? I think my memory serves as a hint not an answer, I have asked Red from these forums about it, but he did not respond.
The seed seller was using an email addy from hushmail and called himself newkingofseed
I believe he was in the UK and was travelling to south east asia, he also mentioned to me that he was using the money to fund the people in the village he visited that grew the plants, there he said they called it a different name, not violetta or phillipine kalinga, he said they were calling it something about gold or something about the shimmer that these plants had when they were grown in there nativa habitat, the person had also mentioned that when he went to a store to develop photographs he was stopped by the clerk and they told him about how beautiful of a flower he had taken pictures of :biglaugh: People actually thought that because of it's odd structure and Non-cannabis-esque look that the buds were FLOWERS! haha but alas It seems nobody can come forward and help rediscover or reassure that these plants are around!
sadly the last of the seeds I had kept were Duds the were non-viable and didn't grow.
I hope someone can come forward and shed some light on the subject of this strange beautiful Canna from South-East Asia.

hazelover

I think I remember that Red although the red I'm thinking of was an expat living in the Philippines and was a member of a different forum before they temporarily banned him for selling opening on the forums( Allegedly). He had some very beautiful pictures of some beautiful plants and landscapes. No offense Hazelover I could be remembering it incorrectly.

Sort of right? a few posters contacted me asking where they could get the seeds in the pics by PMs so i sent them my email to contact off line.
i just asked for a small charge and that money went to the planters growin and preserving it what was wrong with that?
not to me.
breaking the rules by sending an email?
i think the real reason was the sativa thread made reeferman a bit insecure of his own strains? cause when my thread came down it was OK to come back?
but i hardly did after that. and then it closed down cause he was scared of by harper!
i see reeferman used my Nigerian nightmare pic was also for his seed promotion w/out asking me first.
the only good thing is he did give me free seeds one time.
i didnt only live in the philippines though but around SEAsia! :tiphat:

hazelover

Hazelover
I really can't believe that You are here on IC and I couldn't be happier!
I'm sure you'll contribute to these forums amazingly.
hope everything is well, I was actually trying to email you this year, just before summer of course. :wave:

thanks for your reply. :tiphat::tiphat: Nice to know youve got the sativa habit now SQ that soaring rush is hard to beat.:canabis:
looking forward to PMing you when i get to 50 posts almost there now!
[its not my main forum here]
you take care red:sasmokin:

TheSg

Haze lover I'll definitely be making F2's in order to entertain my kalinga obsession.
I find it really odd that there are soo few people that are familiar with the variety of cannabis.
I guess I was really lucky to have tried it in the past.
Wanting to make it available is a good intention.
but these things take time, it is a long flowering sativa...
I still miss the thought of that utmost happy high it gave!

TheSg

HazeLover Don't you wish you had those old pics from the AN website!?!
I remember the pictures being really tantalizing!
the plants were so lively and purple!
I used to have more pics but they all got partitioned on my computer n' I don't know how to get them back...
Anyone got more Kalinga pics?
Charlie?
Dubi?
Hazelover?
take your time if there is some, I'm sure we'd all be grateful!
I hope to contribute some again in the future!

hazelover

yeah dam!! i had loads on a copy but dammed if i can find it? looked and looked? maybe someones got the knowledge to assist you here?
love to see those more extreme sativa phenos again for sure! and the close ups!

icebox

high everyone,

this thread is very important to us here in the philippines because as we all know marijuana studies here are very minimal. i would like to show you a picture here of my last red cali before my mom remove it from the pot.. but first how do i post some pictures here. <<<<<<facebook link edited due to terms of use>>>>>>

Last edited by a moderator:

bushweed

Veteran
Hi dubi, in Howard Mark's autobiography, he mentions spending some time in the Phillipines to organise some large scale ganja exportation from there. I recall that the the giant commercial crops they grew used seeds imported from Thailand.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
it's hard to know the origin of the phillippine sativas but they should have connections with vietnamese, thais and indonesian sativas. The place is big, diverse and climate fantastic to develop their own lines ...the kalinga was definatly interesting, it would be a real hard to stabilize the purple colors, good potency, jasmine tasting and avoid 100 % hermies. This kind of projects would need lots of plants, probably hundreds, and at least 2-3 successful generations to definatly avoid hermies.

Anyway i was quite motivated to try other sativas from Cordilera Central and Sagada island but tried to germinate a fewlines but just a few did, very old seeds and didnt come in very clean conditions.