What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pH pen and calibration solution

]A[Boss

I've decided to buy a pH pen and was wondering if i need the 4.0 or 7.0 calibration solution.. or both?

thanks all!

]A[Boss

ok the pen i want is 2 point calbration so i'll get the 4.0 and 7.0 - wasn't aware if it was 2 point or not until you all mentioned it

thanks!

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
You'll get better service if you'll follow the manufactures care instructions. If you're going to get calibration solutions, (highly recommended) consider storage and cleaning solutions if they're recommended. Don't use distilled water for storage.

pH meters are sometimes a crap shoot, a drop-kit backup is good to have whenever you doubt the meter reading. The drops are also a good indicator if/when the probe needs replacement. I get anywhere from 18 to 24 months on a probe, only if I follow the care instructions.

KyndBud

You'll get better service if you'll follow the manufactures care instructions. If you're going to get calibration solutions, (highly recommended) consider storage and cleaning solutions if they're recommended. Don't use distilled water for storage.

pH meters are sometimes a crap shoot, a drop-kit backup is good to have whenever you doubt the meter reading. The drops are also a good indicator if/when the probe needs replacement. I get anywhere from 18 to 24 months on a probe, only if I follow the care instructions.

:yeahthats: This guy knows whats up...

Helicopters, look out below
Helicopters, flying low...

Peace
KB :joint:

KyndBud

My pen doesn't have 2 point capability. If this is indeed the case, why bother spending cash on an additional bottle?

A lot of the older pens only have a one point calibration. So in your case, your right, you'd only need the pH 7 solution. Most pens these days require the two solutions.

Peace
KB :joint:

]A[Boss

i got a $50 Milwaukee pH pen and i love it so far. I'm taking great care of it.

I got some storage solution, but how often do i replace the storage solution inside the cap? Seems wasteful replacing it after every time i use it, even though it only takes a little bit.

C

Carl Carlson

i got a $50 Milwaukee pH pen and i love it so far. I'm taking great care of it.

I got some storage solution, but how often do i replace the storage solution inside the cap? Seems wasteful replacing it after every time i use it, even though it only takes a little bit.

Are you using this one?

2cq086d.jpg

I don't use the cap for storage. When it's not in use it literally stands up straight in a small teacup that contains just enough of the calibration solution to cover between a 1/4" and 1/2" of the pen. So about halfway up to the "line" above the probe.

It stays calibrated this way for a long time. I recently ran out of solution and stored it for a week in tap water that had sat overnight (ph 7.0 according to the pen). I probably used it three or four times that week. The pen required an adjustment of only 1/10th with the new solution.

I don't change the solution in the teacup until enough has evaporated that if the pen "fell" over, i.e. leaning against side of cup instead of standing, that the bottom of the pen wouldn't be covered.

]A[Boss

i got the pH51... it came with a nice case and i can put the storage solution in the cap, put it in the case and stand the case upright at all times.

Attachments

• 500-Milwaukee-pH51-A.jpg
    500-Milwaukee-pH51-A.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 11
great info here.. i jus got mine in the mail off ebay similir to the yellow one shown on the previous page but it came from hong kong and instructions were all in chinese!!
and also came with 2 solutions,, 4.00 and 6.86......
so i guess ill go with the info here when calibrating it and tryan it out in the mornin...

after calibrating do i turn it off to clean dry with tp than turn back on to test my water or,,....???