What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Perephrial neuropathy

M

medfinder

sorry.

sorry.

Iam sorry I cant say anything about cannabis being used as a neuroprotectant.

Why?

because the united states goverment holds a patent on this!!

here!

US Patent 6630507 - Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants.

link.

u.s. tax dollars payed for all experiments and cannabis in this experiment.:wave:
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6630507.html

deesgirl

Hi gang... I'm new to the forum and while I'm NOT new to recreational use I am now finding myself trying desperately to find help for my husband. He is diabetic and has been suffering from neuropathy for over a year now. He was on the gabapentin, but it didn't seem to help much, maybe he needs a bigger dose, but we were hoping to stay "natural". He is currently doing the beg, borrow, steal kind of thing for oxys and norcos from friends and family as his personal script only allows him two a day, but if we could get him off those it would be a God send. Without writing a novel the problem is he is already the kind of guy who thinks the worst and the 'high' fills him with anxiety. He was vaping and using edibles, but only at night because he doesn't want to be/can't afford to be 'high' during the day. The real problem is even at night he finds he is too filled with anxiety and now has stopped using it altogether. I have attempted to make some massage oil to rub into his feet and he seems to be getting a small amount of relief from that, but not much. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me to get him relief without the psychotropic affects. Any info would help. I hope I didn't post this in the wrong place and I'm very sorry for hijacking this thread.

Thank you so much

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
if he cannot tolerate Oxycontin, try (Opana) aka: Oxymorphone Only problem is there is no generic and its ridiculously expensive. Some people experience no side effects or very little, Low euphoria, no anxiety, no itching, no constipation and so on.. just some decent opiate pain relief. But when i took neurontin and it worked.. i was taking 900mg 3 times a day... and at one time 1200mg x 4 a day.. it stopped working all together for me and it was a shitty withdrawal and i will not take those types of medications anymore..

deesgirl

if he cannot tolerate Oxycontin, try (Opana) aka: Oxymorphone Only problem is there is no generic and its ridiculously expensive. Some people experience no side effects or very little, Low euphoria, no anxiety, no itching, no constipation and so on.. just some decent opiate pain relief. But when i took neurontin and it worked.. i was taking 900mg 3 times a day... and at one time 1200mg x 4 a day.. it stopped working all together for me and it was a shitty withdrawal and i will not take those types of medications anymore..

Thanks for the response. I am actually looking for a cannabis strain that will have a lower psychotropic effect for him as he would rather do the Natural stuff. He is tolerating the opiates ok, just would rather not use them at all. I am also interested in a good topical usage maybe instead of him ingesting it.

C

ChynaRyder

I can help.

I hope you are located in Michigan.

All of this stuff starts out with a lack of blood flow. The areas lacking blood flow die off. Slowly. The stuff I work with opens blood flow. While being a pain killer at the same time.

Oh yes .. powerful anti-inflammation properties at the same time.
Unfortunately, I am not in Michigan, nor any sensible state for that matter...but I would welcome any aid that you could give. I am incorporating some more 'racy' strains in order to improve circulation, but I cannot tolerate too much as pain is intensified...the source of my neuropathy is from Chronic Lyme disease, so it may not behave or respond in the manner that diabetic neuropathy does, as active infection and neurotoxins are the root cause...I would welcome a private conversation to avoid clogging another's thread.

Liz

What is best for Neuropathy

What is best for Neuropathy

I'm so totally new to cannibus use. I'm 72 years old and have been on Gabapentin and Percocet for neuropathy. I would like to start CBD nd THC but what ratio is best for pain and how do I adjust the tinctures to my body to relieve pain but not get the "high"?
I'm sorry to sound so dumb and I really appreciate any and all help.
Also, can I wean off of Gabapentin(1200 mgs ..300 mgs taken 4 times a day) WHILE I take cannibus. I've weaned off of the Percocet so I'm not taking it anymore.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Hi Liz.. (I'm 63)

Hi Liz.. (I'm 63)

Sorry to hear of your problem. I have CINP (Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral Neuropathy). Which causes lack of feeling, but I don't have much pain. Mine is going away, yeah! About 95% resolved in my hands and 75% in my feet, should be driving again soon.

What caused your Neuropathy? *** different approaches depending on the cause

I have done a fair amount of research and found that THC can help with Neuropathy. It's one of the few things (besides minor pain) that Marijuana will actually help (gabapentin works for awhile).

If you are concerned about getting high, try taking edibles before bedtime. I take Ibuprofen which seems to lessen the effects of the weed. I take 60mg CanaCookies every night.

I actually like getting high :party: So I smoke or vape.

Let me know of your particular questions :tiphat:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
this is but more of the anecdotal evidence the "experts" deride, but...i smoked weed daily from age 11 until i had to re-enter the job search in my early fifties. within a year of stopping, i developed peripheral neuropathy in both feet, and sores that will not completely heal regardless of treatment. literally overnight, my arthritis pain went from "meh" to "ouch!" when i rolled over on my shoulders in my sleep. i know there is no way to show definitively that stopping smoking (for the most part:biggrin:) caused these problems, but it seems mighty coincidental to me...burning a bowl or two when i get brave enough to risk trouble at work lets me sleep better, & i wake up feeling better as well from a good nights sleep. i wish Tennessee would pull its head out of its ass...:comfort:

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Hi Old Hippie..

Hi Old Hippie..

this is but more of the anecdotal evidence the "experts" deride, but...i smoked weed daily from age 11 until i had to re-enter the job search in my early fifties. within a year of stopping, i developed peripheral neuropathy in both feet, and sores that will not completely heal regardless of treatment. literally overnight, my arthritis pain went from "meh" to "ouch!" when i rolled over on my shoulders in my sleep. i know there is no way to show definitively that stopping smoking (for the most part:biggrin:) caused these problems, but it seems mighty coincidental to me...burning a bowl or two when i get brave enough to risk trouble at work lets me sleep better, & i wake up feeling better as well from a good nights sleep. i wish Tennessee would pull its head out of its ass...:comfort:

So you just have it in your feet?

When you were diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy did your doctors indicate a cause?

Do you have diabetes or alcoholism?

Just askin and wishing you the best

Peace

Liz

Shingles possibly caused the Neuropathy

Shingles possibly caused the Neuropathy

My Neurologist said basically "shit happens" I did have shingles about 12 years ago, which led to Trigiminal Neuralgia and I have Fibromyalgia. One night, I noticed my left toes burning and throughout time, my foot and leg and now it's gone to my right toes,foot and leg and is almost to my knees.
I've tried so many pharmaceuticals I'm sick of the side effects . The Percocet has been the worse. My skin felt as if it was burning from the inside out from my head to the bottom of my feet. I've had it with medicine. I am really desperate for relief.:):thank you:

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Wow

Wow

Hi Liz,

I looked up your problems and they seem formidable. (Yikes!)

My neighbor has fibromyalgia and uses Medical Marijuana to help him. Nerve problems are difficult to deal with.

I would get your Medical Recommendation and see if there are any edibles you like.

The Marijuana is likely to reduce your pain (and help reduce Percocet usage), the bonus is that you will worry less about your problems.

I grow and make my own edibles :party: Let me know if there are any questions that I can help you with.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
So you just have it in your feet?

When you were diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy did your doctors indicate a cause?

Do you have diabetes or alcoholism?

Just askin and wishing you the best

Peace

diabetes, and so far, just numbness/shooting pains in my toes. an unsettling combination to say the least. i tried hard to become an alcoholic but failed miserably, lol. i drank two buddies to death in the process though. actually, i'm pretty sure one of them had a cocaine habit that exacerbated his problems. he bled out from an accidental overdose of blood thinner for his heart problem caused by the coke. left a trail like a double-lunged deer from his couch to the bathroom. RIP, you scurvy dog...

Cheesegez

I'm not sure of your causes of peripheral neuropathy... some are stated above as much as I love cannabis I wouldn't use it to cure a neurological problem especially not smoking it ...

From personal experiences smoking full stop increases neurological pain to those who suffer from some sort of nerve damage which occurs from many different reasons ... believe it or not the most common cause of neuropathy is from viruses like the herpes viruses as the nervous system houses the latent infections and the virus uses anoxal retrograde transport to shed virons from the latent site of infection to the skin etc... this irritates / damages nerve linings .

I'm not saying this is maybe the case with some of you guys but it's good to note netherless .

Smoking and peripheral neuropathy usually only makes things worse depending on the causes of neuropathy. Smoking restricts blood flow to the microscopic nerve cells that should be communicating with the brain and regenerating any damage By continuing to smoke, you are making the situation worse over time.

I would treat peripheral neuropathy differently maybe immunotherapy would be the appropriate direction in certain circumstances .

You will find most if not all the malfunctions in the body are caused by immunodeficiency which in turn can be caused by many factors including chemotherapy viruses etc as these may compromise key immune functions like macrophage activation etc .

I would advice that anyone suffering from this condition should understand the root causes before moving forward and then treating accordingly.

CG:tiphat:

Last edited:

EsterEssence

Veteran
First of all they don't know all the root causes of neuropathy, I don't smoke, but I vape rosin regularly to help with the pain. I tried gabapentin it did not do anything for me. I think cannabis is a great alternative treatment for neuropathy.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Works for me...

Works for me...

I'm not sure of your causes of peripheral neuropathy... some are stated above as much as I love cannabis I wouldn't use it to cure a neurological problem especially not smoking it ...

From personal experiences smoking full stop increases neurological pain to those who suffer from some sort of nerve damage which occurs from many different reasons ... believe it or not the most common cause of neuropathy is from viruses like the herpes viruses as the nervous system houses the latent infections and the virus uses anoxal retrograde transport to shed virons from the latent site of infection to the skin etc... this irritates / damages nerve linings .

I'm not saying this is maybe the case with some of you guys but it's good to note netherless .

Smoking and peripheral neuropathy only makes things worse. Smoking restricts blood flow to the microscopic nerve cells that should be communicating with the brain and regenerating any damage By continuing to smoke, you are making the situation worse over time.

I would treat peripheral neuropathy differently maybe immunotherapy would be the appropriate direction in certain circumstances .

You will find most if not all the malfunctions in the body are caused by immunodeficiency which in turn can be caused by many factors including chemotherapy viruses etc as these may compromise key immune functions like macrophage activation etc .

I would advice that anyone suffering from this condition should understand the root causes before moving forward and then treating accordingly.

I have CINP (Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral Neuropathy) and I smoke, vape and eat edibles.

There are no cures for Peripheral Neuropathy but the effects can be mitigated using Marijuana. In fact besides minor pain and Chemotherapy side effects, Marijuana is on of the few things that can help Peripheral Neuropathy.

I had Stage 4 and I now have 95% resolution in my hands and about 75% for my feet. I'm getting more feeling back everyday.

I have been taking 600mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid twice a day and Marijuana as directed by my Oncologist. It has been 7 months since my last infusion of Oxaliplatin.

Perhaps if your Neuropathy was caused by AIDS or other multiple issues you should not use it.

When in doubt talk to your doctors :party:

Galaxy420

Smoking and peripheral neuropathy only makes things worse. Smoking restricts blood flow to the microscopic nerve cells that should be communicating with the brain and regenerating any damage By continuing to smoke, you are making the situation worse over time.

with that said- how about cannabis as an anti-oxidant? just the anti oxidant properties would be enough reason alone to use cannabis and that is not even touching on the ever so important endocannabinoid system which cannabis also helps modulate/regulate

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have an elder friend/client (88) with peripheral neuropathy in both feet. She uses canna balm 2x a day on her feet and brandy infused tincture (5 drops) in her drinks (morning coffee/1 glass of wine) daily. Comparing to what symptoms she had prior to balm/tincture, she says it has helped.

As others mentioned- it will not totally rid pain from neuropathy, but different forms of cannabis can help alleviate a little pain/discomfort.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2950178/
Key points
•Current treatments do not help all patients with neuropathic pain.
•Cannabis can produce moderate analgesia in patients with neuropathic pain.
•This analgesic effect may be more pronounced in central, as opposed to peripheral, neuropathic pain.

Latest posts

Latest posts