What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

12 weeks, how much patience, your efforts will never be well rewarded ...

I don't mind.
I've still got tons from my last plant.
I'm growing this one for a freind and he wants a couch lock type of buzz.
I've found that my plants have more of a 🛋 🔒 feel the longer I grow them out.

Hasch

learning and laughing
I've found that my plants have more of a 🛋 🔒 feel the longer I grow them out.
That is also how I understand it.
Usually more relaxing the longer it gets to mature (on the plant and in my experience also when curing).

Ca++

I have been thinking the same. We don't get last log-in details. His posts stop abruptly on the 11th though. Over 10 weeks ago.
Canadian guy, not doing much. Not enough to get carted away. Though something has knocked the wind out of his sails. Nothing hinted at prior.
I like the guy, so hope he didn't loose his home or something

PCBuds

You still growing bud? Been a minute since I've seen an update. :wave:
I have been thinking the same. We don't get last log-in details. His posts stop abruptly on the 11th though. Over 10 weeks ago.
Canadian guy, not doing much. Not enough to get carted away. Though something has knocked the wind out of his sails. Nothing hinted at prior.
I like the guy, so hope he didn't loose his home or something
He is logging in, so dunno.. maybe he forgot about the thread?
Hello @PCBuds , how you been?

I'm OK.
I managed to get 514 grams from that plant, but I didn't hear from that freind, so I just threw it in the garbage. 😂

It was never about money for me.
I don't have the personality to be a drug dealer (which it still kinda is if I would be "dealing" on the street) and I didn't want to bother with having my grow inspected and get registered to be a legitimate Cannibis grower.

I've still got some weed, and I'll grow another plant next winter.

I bought an ebike and that has become my new hobby.
It's got lots of electronics to figure out and I voided the warranty the day I got it by taking it all apart to figure it out. 😂
Then I replaced the controller and display which turned into a huge project.

Interestingly, the same MeanWell LED drivers can be used to charge my ebike batteries, and just like my LED strips I can get thermal run-away, but with a lithium battery the consequences are a battery fire and explosion, so I need to be careful. 😂

I cut the window plant and threw that out too, but I left part of the plant growing.
It has become my new kitchen ornament.

20230519_130843.jpg
20230519_130905.jpg

So I guess it's about 22 weeks old now, and it's an autoflower so I don't know why it didn't die?
I like doing things the wrong way to see what happens. 😂

My planter is just sitting and marinating in the mean time.
I'm keeping it wet so the springtails can do their thing and compost everything for me.

20230520_054213.jpg
Screenshot_20230520-055649_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230520-055647_Gallery.jpg

An online plant identifier says your lucky plant is a madder.

The other one looks like some kind of pasture grass lol.

I did a bit of research and found out that the roots of a Madder plant are toxic/poisonous.
Do you or anyone else know if that's an issue for my next plant?

I don't want my next plant to become toxic but I don't want to throw out my planter.

My living planter is as much a hobby of mine as the plant growing in it, but I don't want toxic media.

Last edited:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Seems crazy to grow a plant and have no one to share it with. But since it's a hobby for you I guess it doesn't matter that much! Good to hear you are ok! :wave:

Ca++

It was nice to see you on my notifications list. It's always a concern when people seem to vanish. Especially a buyer lol

ebikes were one of my other hobbies to. There is a lot more potential there to burn the house down. Your meanwell comment could be misread and lead to such a thing. Most are 'constant current' which means they will keep increasing the voltage to ensure the current is delivered. This is exactly what lithium doesn't want. They apply the idea of cc/cv to the chargers, but the cc part is wrong. It's just current limiting, not ensuring it's delivered. Lithium has no problem taking enough to blow. So current must be limited, and voltage limited. Neither a cc or cv charger will do. It must be both.
Even then, using our drivers would mean bulk charging without balancing. There is literally a clock ticking with that method. Not a single device does that.
The biggest problem the ebike forums have, is the huge number of model makers that step up to bikes. Model makers at UK meets are forced to charge outside. Not just outside, but outside in fire proof bags. Because they are idiots. Every year somebody on ES (endless sphere) burns their house down, or on a good year, just a garage. All that RC stuff want's forgetting about. It's not how packs are built, at all. It's not a battery until all the parts are there. Meaning the computer board (bms) that manages each cell group. Without it, it's just a pile of naked cells. No use nor ornament.
Please be careful who you listen to. Like most forums, there are few people that really understand, and understanding them, can be difficult. Just look at anything with more than once cell in it though. It will have a balancing mechanism, that bulk charging (an RC term) lacks. There is no such thing as bulk charging lipo. The term, used by many, is a red flag.
This is a bms https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_management_system
I'm presumimng you don't have one. If you do, and use an LED driver, it will stop the charge at max voltage. However, max voltage will be reached too early. A CC meanwell won't let charge current drop away as the battery nears full, safely. Instead it will start pumping up the voltage to keep the current going. This voltage will trip the hvc (high voltage cutout) long before the cells were charged. Many BMS units won't start to balance until the cells are very nearly full. This, the BMS is defeated. The pack will go out of balance. Further reducing the charge it holds. At least a BMS watching each cell set will turn off the charger when a set is full though. Unlike bulk charging which can't see the imbalance, and leads to these fires.

Perhaps I had a knee jerk reaction to the suggestion of using an LED driver, and you do in fact have a BMS. You probably do. But if you were guided to this idea online, they generally get it wrong. In either case it's no good, but in one it's deadly. The forums are great, but don't take advice related to the RC crowd. Each has a fire history they play down, once you really know who they are.

I hope you get some enjoyment from it. It's nice to have a MC that nobody recognises. Something you can take anywhere, without the regulators knowing. I was sold on the idea in an instant.

PCBuds

Yeah, they offered me a job a few years ago when they came by when I had an "illegal" backyard bonfire.

(I did have the flames shooting up 20 feet though. 😂)

PCBuds

The charge circuit for my pipe crapped out, so I have to charge the battery externally.
I needed a hoot so I had to reinstall it.

20230520_102531.jpg
20230520_111010.jpg
20230520_123132.jpg